Match Engine Update 13.1.3 - quick overview. ME feedback here please.

The post-patch ME is fantastic. My defenders finally look like the world-class players they are. They press, mark tightly, and pursue interceptions aggressively. I suppose I should be bitter about essentially being a beta tester for the last 2 weeks, but the game is so much fun at this point I can't bother to be huffy about it.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well my games been destroyed, was cruising before the patch now i'm facing teams playing like Brazil '70 every week in the SPL. #totallyfedup.

Did you happen to have a tactic that was very defensive, relied on the space with the cross to the back post ?

Had a friend who destroyed with that tactic that while he will be very happy to create a more realistic tactic, the patch will likely render his "exploitive" tactic useless.

Such as also playing like barcelona with SPL players.

My tactic is completely useless after this patch. I relied on outscoring the opposition in the old patch. i had lots of 4-2s, 5-3s, 6-4s etc. Now that shots have been toned down, im struggling to get goals but the AI are still very goal happy. This isnt the fault of the ME, i understand its more realistic im just sad that my game updated a day before my champions league semi final match against Bayern. :(:mad:

Just seen this on another board: I thought it was fixed that you could massively outdo the AI by simply packing the middle and never commitint your FBs or CMs forward, lessening the attacking force of the AI as well as still getting chances proper yourself in the process, but this still appears to be the case. At least on away days, when the AI will adopt risikier strategies itself, letting its FBs push forward more often than not and thus likely allowing AMR/AMLs the space to still succeed even with such one-dimensional tactics. Unsurprsingly, home, against more packed defenses on average, this doesn't appear to work one bit.

Tactics: http://s14.directupload.net/file/u/29426/la6pssvj_png.htm

Away table: http://s14.directupload.net/file/u/29426/j76bo47q_png.htm

Home table: http://s7.directupload.net/file/u/29426/vexu8uxv_png.htm

Players are actually slide tackling now. It's about time. FM 2013 is starting to resemble the game of football.

And did i see a collision as a fullback and winger chased after a loose ball? Could be. It looked good whatever the hell it was.

Through balls look good. I saw a few smart plays.

---

But you've got to tone down the one-touch passing. There is still too much of it. Tic-tac-toe, but the team is supposed to blow.

And goalie distribution is ********. But you already know that.

I still don't see wingers making snap decisions on their own to try and beat their man and make a break down the wing, into that WIDE OPEN SPACE.

And fullbacks, though more aggressive and trying to position themselves better, still don't like to jump in front of cross attempts.

I miss FM 2012 fullbacks. They had balls of steel.

I don't need to mention the terribly unrealistic ball physics again do I? Since you mentioned you are looking into it, I won't bring it up.

Ramp up the collisions, have fullbacks and wingers literally go to war with each other, fix the terrible ball physics and teensie ball size, and the stupid goalies, and you've got yourselves a game.

• SI Staff
Players are actually slide tackling now. It's about time. FM 2013 is starting to resemble the game of football.

And did i see a collision as a fullback and winger chased after a loose ball? Could be. It looked good whatever the hell it was.

Through balls look good. I saw a few smart plays.

---

But you've got to tone down the one-touch passing. There is still too much of it. Tic-tac-toe, but the team is supposed to blow.

And goalie distribution is ********. But you already know that.

I still don't see wingers making snap decisions on their own to try and beat their man and make a break down the wing, into that WIDE OPEN SPACE.

And fullbacks, though more aggressive and trying to position themselves better, still don't like to jump in front of cross attempts.

I miss FM 2012 fullbacks. They had balls of steel.

I don't need to mention the terribly unrealistic ball physics again do I? Since you mentioned you are looking into it, I won't bring it up.

Ramp up the collisions, have fullbacks and wingers literally go to war with each other, fix the terrible ball physics and teensie ball size, and the stupid goalies, and you've got yourselves a game.

My best advice to you is go back to FM2012, as I doubt this ME is going to be for you.

Still can't playing polish league because of shedule on spring. League starts on second part of march (in real starts on february), so we must playing 3-4 times a week! There are a lot of FM fans here in Poland and we cant playing our league... (Sorry for my english)

But you've got to tone down the one-touch passing. There is still too much of it.

I hate it when I see people ask for this. Each to their own sure, but it's mostly only in the UK that players don't first time pass. I played a season at 18 with a professional team's youth side before moving on to just play semi pro (first contract was actually at 16), and I would have never had a game above div 2 amateurs if I didn't one touch pass. And this was only in Australia. Admittedly a couple of the British ethnicity (note I'm British myself, I have dual citizenship with UK) semi pro teams I played at were happy to take the extra touches and smash in with hard tackles, but they were also at the bottom of the tables every season. As Alonso says: tackling is not a skill!

But this is exactly where it's hard: program the game for the very widely watched British style of taking extra touches, man marking and tackling hard, or program for how the rest of the world plays with gentler one touch possession passing, non-pressing zonal marking and tackling only as a last resort?

defending and pressing are now very good. love that.

But I am concerned about the shots and attacking movement, attacking movement off the ball has not gotten any better while defenders are doing much better. played 3 games shots (not on goal, but all together) 6-4, 5-4, 4-3. Scorelines 1-0, 0-0, 0-0

Guess I have to go back to the drawing board on my tactics. Atleast I haven't seen Stevie Wonder and friends on the field, player awereness is so much better after this patch. Defo going in the right direction if only players got better off the ball and midfielders tried more defence splitting passes.

But overall, good work SI

Still can't playing polish league because of shedule on spring. League starts on second part of march (in real starts on february), so we must playing 3-4 times a week! There are a lot of FM fans here in Poland and we cant playing our league... (Sorry for my english)

This isn't anything to do with the ME, please post in the bugs forum.

But I am concerned about the shots and attacking movement, attacking movement off the ball has not gotten any better while defenders are doing much better. played 3 games shots (not on goal, but all together) 6-4, 5-4, 4-3. Scorelines 1-0, 0-0, 0-0

PaulC did warn this might be the case and that further tweaks are probable.

All improved! Pressing, passing, moving, tackling etc not sure if it's an oddity but in my last game i had 15 shots 7 of which hit the woodwork?! Anyone else getting a lot of post action?

Had this problem a lot (average 3 woodworks per game) with the previous ME. I guess that with the new one that reduces the excessive amount of shots per game the woodworks will reduce also...

Guess I have to go back to the drawing board on my tactics. Atleast I haven't seen Stevie Wonder and friends on the field, player awereness is so much better after this patch. Defo going in the right direction if only players got better off the ball and midfielders tried more defence splitting passes.

But overall, good work SI

What team are you playing with mate? Because I, (playing Greek Superleague with Olympiakos) think that getting results like 6-4 or 5-3 with the previous ME was faaar from what's happening IRL, with more than useless in creation players playing in most of the teams of greek league, while they are also using very tight defensive tactics. Scores like 1-0 or 1-1 SHOULD happen more in leagues like that.

Before this update i found myself having around 60% per game. I just came out of my third game and the possession was down around 50/50 for most of the match. I wanted to know why so i watched full match highlights. I am quite annoyed after seeing that. I play short passing with my mentality set as control. I then from the start of the game have a pre set 'shout' which includes Retain Possession, Play Out Of Defense, Work Ball In To Box and yet countless number of times i saw my goalkeeper and defenders kicking the ball long and my midfielders constantly looking for through balls. My formation (4,2,3,1) and tactics are set up specifically to Control possession with short passing with creative players roaming around the pitch keeping the ball looking for the right moment to play a decisive pass. Now with no tactical change at all my team is just constantly taking risky/long passes which goes completely against my formation and tactics. It seems like it's gone from not enough through balls to just trying them all the time.

Do the defenders have other options on, though? Resorting to punting it forward often is an indicator that a player (especially one less technically gifted) doesn't think he has any decent passing options on, or at least within a reasonable distance.

What team are you playing with mate? Because I, (playing Greek Superleague with Olympiakos) think that getting results like 6-4 or 5-3 with the previous ME was faaar from what's happening IRL, with more than useless in creation players playing in most of the teams of greek league, while they are also using very tight defensive tactics. Scores like 1-0 or 1-1 SHOULD happen more in leagues like that.

As I read it the 6-4, 5-4, 4-3 were the shots taken stats for the 1-0, 0-0, 0-0 games. Easy to see how one could read it differently though, and I agree high scorelines should be at least uncommon in the game

Defense positioning improved, more tackling. These are good. And is it just me, or is the ball not taking off into outer space anymore? The player AI is interesting. They don't bother running for a ball they think will go out of bounds. As far as the build-up play and goals being more varied...only time will tell. But it seems to be playable now. This update is a significant improvement on an excellent but rough ME.

My best advice to you is go back to FM2012, as I doubt this ME is going to be for you.

Does that mean that you find FM2012 ME unrealistic in comparison to the new FM13 one? Because i -and many others- think that it was the best ME FM ever had! At least I knew why i was loosing when i was loosing and what i did well when i was winning. Haven't played with the new ME update though...

As I read it the 6-4, 5-4, 4-3 were the shots taken stats for the 1-0, 0-0, 0-0 games. Easy to see how one could read it differently though, and I agree high scorelines should be at least uncommon in the game

Thats correct.

But before the ME update I wasn't getting wild result. goals average, scored 2.0, goals conceeded 1.3

I had however made my tactics to deal with the old ME's inabillity to defend, so I'd better tune my tactics to be a bit more offensive now.

Does that mean that you find FM2012 ME unrealistic in comparison to the new FM13 one? Because i -and many others- think that it was the best ME FM ever had! At least I knew why i was loosing when i was loosing and what i did well when i was winning. Haven't played with the new ME update though...

It was very polished, in fact is was so polished that there was nothing more that could be done with it. It did however have some weaknesses. IE fast strikers and through balls. With my 4-1-2-3 tactics I could use it for any team, any players, never tweak it to adjust for the opponments, and win everything by just clicking continue. Never got bothered if my star players got injured, coz players didn't win my matches, the tactics did. Didn't really matter who I put on the field.

Given time the new ME will be better than the FM12 ME

loads of injuries since the update. No idea whether its a coincidence.

Probably has to do with players pressing and tackling harder. I had to reduce my pressure some as I was picking up yellow cards left and right after the update. after I lowered the pressure some, I didn't get that many cards.

Hoping the injuries thing isn't a problem, seen it mentioned a few times now.

I have played 7 games since new patch (testing it with different tactics) and I have had at least 2 injuries in every single game. sometimes 3. They don't always turn out to be long termers. Just pick up knocks in game.

A few mentions in the change list of "fine tune shot accuracy". Think this should say reduced shot accuracy as the update has broken my strikers. Far too often now when free within the penalty area they are just blasting the ball over the bar. Sometimes it looks harder to lift it over yet they still manage it. I have last years top league scorer and he has turned into Ronny Rosenthal overnight. I'm not playing with a big club so don't expect my players to score everytime they are free but they are missing the target too often.

Also noticed that there are lots of own goals - because defenders slide tackle attackers going in for a 1 on 1. The ball then trickles past the defenders own keeper.

Yep noticed this too.

-own goals

-injuries

These point out at the moment. Otherwise great patch!

EIDT: AND ALMOST FORGOT THE MOST ANNOYING PART

-Opponent frequently scoring right after kickoff after you score. Also can happen to me that I score after going behind.

Yep noticed this too.

-own goals

-injuries

These point out at the moment. Otherwise great patch!

over how many games did you notice it. Because if you notice too much own goals and injuries in 5 games ,it is a problem. how many goals and how many own goals? also how many serious long term injuries?

Archived