Liverpool Thread 2012/13

bell

• Replies 17.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
@Richard_Buxton_: #LFC youngsters Samed Yesil, Suso, Conor Coady, Andre Wisdom & Adam Morgan all in the squad for tomorrow's Europa League game at Young Boys.

So it will be Young Boys v young boys?

I hope Yesil gets a start, looking forward to seeing him in action.

So it will be Young Boys v young boys?

I hope Yesil gets a start, looking forward to seeing him in action.

Pardon the pun.

Hope we have not got TO many youngsters on the pitch.

I heard on the radio that; Agger, Kelly, Johnson, Gerrard, Allen and Saurez have not traveled.

Brendan Rodgers has named a youthful squad for Liverpool's Europa League group-stage opener with Young Boys on Thursday night.

The Reds departed John Lennon airport for Switzerland shortly after noon on Wednesday, with 20 players making the journey.

Among those on the plane were Samed Yesil, Suso, Conor Coady, Andre Wisdom, Adam Morgan, Peter Gulacsi and Dani Pacheco.

More experienced colleagues such as Jamie Carragher, Brad Jones, Stewart Downing, Jose Enrique, Jordan Henderson, Jonjo Shelvey and Sebastian Coates were included in the travelling party, while summer signings Nuri Sahin and Oussama Assaidi have also made the trip.

Stay logged on to Liverpoolfc.com for all the latest news from the squad in Switzerland.

Still think he should give Pacheco and Suso some game time, Especially here. People go on about "the system" well there are two players that have being playing "the system" since they were 10-11.

Better not great players who know what is expected of them than not great players looking uncomfortable with what they are supposed to do

I couldn't give a flying **** about what is essentially a reserves game, who we put out or how well we play.
It is essentially a nothing game for us, it's like the League Cup more or less. Nobody of importance cares about it until the semis.

Delusions of grandeur much?

it's not about the competition, it's about the as a viewer the chance to watch younger players getting a chance against decent opposition, and as a club giving those youngsters the opportunity to show what they can do. not caring how well Yesil or Suso or Morgan or even Pacheco does... well I can't understand that attitude at all

Delusions of grandeur much?

Not remotely. I'm well aware of our standing as a club now. I just don't particularly care for a fixture which we're not overly fussed about as a club. That we're playing guys like Pacheco in it who we were trying to sell just a few weeks ago tells me all I need to know about it. Let's be honest - Pacheco is not and will never be good enough to even be a squad player here in the long term.

e: Calling them 'decent opposition' is a bit laughable as well. If Young Boys, who haven't won anything even domestically for 25 years now are 'decent opposition' I'm afraid we've fallen far further than anyone in here is really prepared to admit to.

It's a sad state of affairs when fans don't want to win a cup, any cup really, let alone a European Cup of some sort (there's only 2). As a fan are you going to remember finishing 6th or 7th in the future or the fact you got to the semis or won a UEFA Cup?

Fact is, you're pretty much not getting into the top 4. I reckon you can finish 6th regardless of the poor start. I am not sure there's any evidence that playing midweek a bunch of times actually effects a club's league position. You can rest everyone and still get beaten or get injuries

I reckon you can finish 6th regardless of the poor start. I am not sure there's any evidence that playing midweek a bunch of times actually effects a club's league position.

Not definitive but playing with only a couple of days rest between fixtures was shown to have a big impact - http://worldfootballacademy.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/WFA_Study-on-recovery-days.pdf

Not remotely. I'm well aware of our standing as a club now. I just don't particularly care for a fixture which we're not overly fussed about as a club. That we're playing guys like Pacheco in it who we were trying to sell just a few weeks ago tells me all I need to know about it. Let's be honest - Pacheco is not and will never be good enough to even be a squad player here in the long term.

e: Calling them 'decent opposition' is a bit laughable as well. If Young Boys, who haven't won anything even domestically for 25 years now are 'decent opposition' I'm afraid we've fallen far further than anyone in here is really prepared to admit to.

I don't think they are bad opposition, didn't they go 3-0 up against Spurs in the CL playoff last season?

They'll be tougher than Hearts and we only scraped past them with a strong team.

It's not about being beneath us, it's about having no squad so it has to come second to the league. In fact, every cup competition does. We're so thin it's criminal.

Mid table for us this season unless we have a couple more Raheems hidden some where.

Archived