• Lewandowski
    • Ashley Young (!)
    • Balotelli
    • Kerzhakov
    • Torres lolz
    • Ibraminovic
    • Striker from Croatia/Ireland/Denmark, etc
    • John Terry
    • Midfield you smugly thought of and no one else did!
    • "at the end of the day football is the winner" (Other)

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Lewandowski getting the most votes, hahah. He may be good, but it's hard to score without decent service and he'll only get 3 games ;)

I'd say 4 games but yeah agree on that. Unless he goes crazy vs the Czechs or Greeks I can't see it

Shane Long.

This is a very clever shout...I rate him very highly and, if he manages to force himself into starting, he could score quite a few. Always thought he was special when I saw him before he got injured.

• Administrators

Well for a start Glendenning is a *****. But it's a matter of taste, just like anything else. I like podcasts to engage me, provoke thought and inform, so my listening is very little and tailored to my interests. GFW doesn't fall into that for me.

Lewandowski getting the most votes, hahah. He may be good, but it's hard to score without decent service and he'll only get 3 games ;)

True but I am just not sure there's going to be a ton of strikers knocking goals in, these things can be very tight so look to the groups and maybe a Pole or probably more likely a Russian as they have a decent chance

So many people voting Lewandowski :D

He's had a good season tbf

If Spain are starting with Torres then meh

Germany - Klose/Gomez ... no one seems 100%

Those are the two favourites. I think I would have gone for Russian striker like Kerkazov (sp, ffs!) in hindsight but I can see it coming from an easier group and a striker maybe hitting a 2 or 3 in a group game.

I should have had an option of 'about 8 players all on 3 or 4 goals'

Ibrahimovic, the 3rd best player in the world.

Don't really think he'll do it, but saw him at 50/1 for top scorer with William Hill the other day. Was tempted to just throw a quid or two on that. It's not like the defences of England, France and Ukraine are anything to shout about.

As far as a russian topscorer goes, might keep an eye on that Shirokov, midfielder who scored twice against Italy the other night.

And now that I've put the kiss of death on him he'll probably not start any of their matches....

As far as a russian topscorer goes, might keep an eye on that Shirokov, midfielder who scored twice against Italy the other night.

And now that I've put the kiss of death on him he'll probably not start any of their matches....

Don't worry, he'll start. He'll be the key to Russia's success, been their best midfielder this year and Russia will be reliant on him.

Don't really think he'll do it, but saw him at 50/1 for top scorer with William Hill the other day. Was tempted to just throw a quid or two on that. It's not like the defences of England, France and Ukraine are anything to shout about.

I don't think he will either, but it'll be his best chance yet I think. One reason is that for once he'll actually be fit, coming off a season where he's been in fantastic form, and hasn't had to play through constant injuries. I also think having Hamrén as manager instead of Lagerbäck benefits him. It's a more attacking style, and he's now being used as the #10 in a 4-2-3-1, which seems to suit him. At least I'm hoping this will see him improve his form for the national team.

But of course, we're in a group where we're at best 3rd favourites to go through. No poor team in there that we can score a lot against. So it's unlikely that he'll score a lot, but like I said it's possible.

Eden Huhzaaaaaard.

Seriously, it could be anyone, it's wide open. I'd say it'll be a german because there'll be loads of goals in their games and they'll go far but not sure who of them, Gomez is such a bottler in big tournaments, and the goals in that team come from everywhere. Could even be an attacking midfielder like Gotze or Reus.

I don't know really, they just come across as arrogant a little bit and also they started going on about Huddersfield being in the wrong league a couple of weeks ago, prefer Football Ramble!

I find it strange why people have such strong preferences either way, I really enjoy both Football Weekly and the Football Ramble, thoughtful analysis and funny both of them. :thup: The only regular I find a little arrogant/biased is that french football analyst Philippe Auclair.

Wasn't that Huddersfield thing a gaffe they made then started to take the p*ss out of themselves for it?

The Football Ramble guys are just football fans. They are repeating whatever it is they hear in the media in the same way we can do it ourselves. At least proper journalists have contacts and access to clubs and players, etc

Guardian is always a little tongue in cheek and light. Glendenning is annoying though, I do wonder how on earth he got a job doing anything to do with sport with the Guardian though but when he's not on it it's good.

Football Ramble I do like but they try so hard to come across as 'football people' that are in the game sort of thing. They constantly try to one-up as well "oh that goal from Smith was great" ... "yeah, yeah it was a cross from Jones in the 17th minute IIRC" (yes you DO recall cause you researched it before recording you tool! :D)

Wasn't that Huddersfield thing a gaffe they made then started to take the p*ss out of themselves for it?

Yes, it was. They mentioned the wrong league in passing and then made some jokes but let's face it, it's hardly a podcast focused on anything other than the top flight of the game, is it.

I think you know with Guardian to seperate the regular guys and light guys with the serious ones and Auclair is definitely one of the 'serious' ones :D

Guardian is always a little tongue in cheek and light. Glendenning is annoying though, I do wonder how on earth he got a job doing anything to do with sport with the Guardian though but when he's not on it it's good.

Don't see the issue with Glendenning, okay he hardly ever contributes any interesting point but his sarcastic pessimism is funny.

I think you know with Guardian to seperate the regular guys and light guys with the serious ones and Auclair is definitely one of the 'serious' ones :D

Well yes, but the likes of Michael Cox and Sid Lowe are very interesting to listen to and have no issue criticizing or praising anyone, whereas Auclair I find him quite biased sometimes, particularly when it's the french vs someone else.

I think that is entirely why Glendenning is there. I don't mind him but it seems pointless asking him his opinion on anything though.

Auclair does like to do that thing where he totally dismisses whatever rumour there remotely to do with anyone French and then put his own thing across cause he's sooooo well connected in France, you see.

I have him on Twitter but he Tweets in French. It annoys me. I know he's French but still ... :D

I find it strange why people have such strong preferences either way, I really enjoy both Football Weekly and the Football Ramble, thoughtful analysis and funny both of them. :thup: The only regular I find a little arrogant/biased is that french football analyst Philippe Auclair.

I think it's mainly Glendenning that I don't like, when he's not on it I enjoy it more but still would rather listen to the Ramble. I think another thing is that they both cover similar topics too, and I prefer the way Football Ramble presents it.

And I don't know, I only listened to the beginning of that one :p

Well i think Germany will win it so i reckon Klose for top goalscorer (Providing he starts, as he had a slight injury, and he is 35 now i believe)

Who is that Torres Lolz guy??? Never heard of him, any good?

;);)

I think Lewandowski will net a few in the group stage games. Benzema a good shout for a rejunanted French team and then there is RVP and Huntelaar for the Dutch.

Dont think it will be Ronaldo as i think Portugal will go out in the group stages.

I'm calling Sneijder, defenses are going to be haunting RvP and the Hunter and forget about Wesleys thundering shooting from the second line.

I still love Miro though, so it's not really that much of a problem for me. I just think it's incredibly harsh on Mario. He's been in the best form of his life in the past 2-3 seasons. What else can he do?

He could not screw up every big opportunity that he gets?

Archived