Team of the Tournament

Coulthard's Jaw

Bono; Hakimi, Stones, Gvardiol, Mazraoui; Griezmann, Amrabat, Enzo Fernandez; Messi, Giroud, Mbappé

Would be mine. Don't think Saka was good enough in that many games to be team of the tournament. Not when you've got three or four forwards who were much better for longer.

Modrić was indeed worse than Kovačić. Modrić was pretty bland, though being a genius footballer he still did things right most of the time. Kovačić had a few blinders that were a real difference. 

7 minutes ago, kpain16 said:

Modrić was indeed worse than Kovačić. Modrić was pretty bland, though being a genius footballer he still did things right most of the time. Kovačić had a few blinders that were a real difference. 

I only caught 3 full Croatia games but he was a real driving force. I think he's excellent and really underrated. 

12 minutes ago, Astafjevs said:

Bono; Hakimi, Stones, Gvardiol, Mazraoui; Griezmann, Amrabat, Enzo Fernandez; Messi, Giroud, Mbappé

Would be mine. Don't think Saka was good enough in that many games to be team of the tournament. Not when you've got three or four forwards who were much better for longer.

Hard to disagree with this. I might have Livakovic in there over Bounou. Alvarez harsh to miss out too but no space for him.

It was a bit of a tossup between Livakovic and Bono for me but Morocco having a decent keeper with hands and feet allowed them to keep possession when appropriate and build up their own attacks in a way that most teams that defend first simply don't.

Overall Lloris did better than I expected, guess France conceded too many and had no penalty saves for him to win but he made some good saves in the knockouts, and got a bit unlucky that his save happened to go to Messi for the extra time goal yesterday.

The Modric love in gets a bit tedious, we already know he is great without rewarding him for a less than exceptional tournament, he shouldn't be in a team of the tournament, let alone have won the Bronze Ball. Even the referees were pandering to him all tournament, at least 3 times he got away without a booking because the referee saw it was him that committed the offence.

Bono or Livaković. I'd say that Bono is clearly a better keeper, but Livaković had that Brazil game. Still, I'd give it to Bono.

Hakimi didn't do much on offense, the part of the game he's known for. Molina definitely deserves the RB spot, scored against Netherlands and was good in every match.

Gvardiol is the obvious pick for CB and one Moroccan simply has to be there, they were ridiculously good. Either Saiss or Aguerd, probably Saiss.

Theo for LB.

In midfield, Amrabat and Griezmann should be locks. Third one is difficult, MacAllister, De Paul or Kovačić being the main candidates. I'd give it to MacAllister just because he wasn't supposed to start and then he turned out to be amazing in every match.

Attack is a no-brainer with Messi, Alvarez and Mbappe.

Bono

Molina-Saiss-Gvardiol-Theo

Griezmann-Amrabat-MacAllister

Messi-Alvarez-Mbappe

3 minutes ago, ArsenalFan7 said:

Even the referees were pandering to him all tournament, at least 3 times he got away without a booking because the referee saw it was him that committed the offence.

Agreed with the rest, but there's a long list of players who should've been booked many times and didn't get a card.

Edited by GunmaN1905

1 hour ago, skybluedave said:

Was there no good left backs?

I'd probably agree with that team but I'd have Griezmann in there. Probably for Saka sadly

There really weren't!

Think Griezmann disappearing in the final (probably due to illness) probably cost him in the eyes of L'Equipe. Still haven't figured out whether he's in mine or not!

6 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Agreed with the rest, but there's a long list of players who should've been booked many times and didn't get a card.

No doubt it's part of the lenient approach taken but I found it particularly amusing in the Brazil game when Oliver was going to book his blatantly cynical foul to stop a counter at the end but then saw it was him, who would then be suspended and bottled it :D Same sort of thing when he kicked the ball away vs. Morocco but players like Messi, Modric etc. get that sort of treatment annoyingly.

Mentioned above but Kovacic was superb to watch defensively + driving through midfield at times. There was one too many times I'd get annoyed when he'd be too intricate with the final ball or refusing to shoot but he is another great midfielder to watch on his day.

Edited by ArsenalFan7

2 minutes ago, ArsenalFan7 said:

No doubt it's part of the lenient approach taken but I found it particularly amusing in the Brazil game when Oliver was going to book his blatantly cynical foul to stop a counter at the end but then saw it was him, who would then be suspended and bottled it :D Same sort of thing when he kicked the ball away vs. Morocco but players like Messi, Modric etc. get that sort of treatment annoyingly.

Argentina should've had three yellows in each game up to the final for cynical fouls. That sort of criteria change completely throws off everyone because we're used to yellows and those fouls should be yellows.

If they really want to improve the game, every foul where the defender clearly has no chance to get the ball, but does it just to stop a play should be a yellow, no matter how harmless the situation is.

Mentioned above but Kovacic was superb to watch defensively + driving through midfield at times. There was one too many times I'd get annoyed when he'd be too intricate with the final ball or refusing to shoot but he is another great midfielder to watch on his day.

Well, that's the story of his career.

He neither has the final pass and his shot is horrible. If he had either, Real wouldn't have sold him.

LB is a struggle, no one really stood out there. I liked Attiyat-Allah(Morocco) but turns out he actually only started two games, Perisic had a good tournament too but only started at LB once so would be a bit cheeky putting him there. 

Martinez; Hakimi, Thiago Silva, Gvardiol, ??????; Amrabat, Tchouameni, Mac Allister; Griezmann, Messi, Mbappe

3 hours ago, craigcwwe said:

Emi Martinez

Theo Hernandez-Stones-Gvardiol-Hakimi

Enzo Fernandez-Amrabat-Alexis Mac Allister

Mbappe-Alavrez-Messi

Honourable shouts to players that could have got in too. 

Bono, Livakovic Montiel, Griezmann, de Paul, Giroud, 

You have Theo and Mbappe on the right, and Hakimi LB.

Edited by Baptista_8

1 hour ago, Barry Cartman said:

Its where Messi played most of the World Cup from 

Was it? Seemed more like a 4-4-2 they played, with Messi strolling around the middle, picking the ball up where he wants, which tends to be just off right centre as he comes onto his left.

15 hours ago, pearcey_90 said:

Was it? Seemed more like a 4-4-2 they played, with Messi strolling around the middle, picking the ball up where he wants, which tends to be just off right centre as he comes onto his left.

World Cup final tactical preview: Messi loves to exploit the exact spaces  Mbappe leaves open - The Athletic

Pretty much spot on. Plays his own hybrid game, you could have him in ST, RW or CAM and it's roughly accurate.

Il 19/12/2022 in 15:07 , The_jagster ha scritto:

I like L'Equipe's lower ratings. The Guardian have Dembele 4 yesterday, what do you have to do to get lower than that?

I don't love low rating without context. 
Play in a final of WC don't have to be valutated like a Group stage against Arabia.