NOT SOUTHGATE'S LAST HURRAH: The England 2022 campaign

Rob1981

1 minute ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

I mean, who'd have guessed Southgate would be any good at being England manager? :D 

His best quality is that he’s a decent human being with a degree of intelligence.

That’s why we can write Lampard and Gerrard off straight away!

• Replies 920
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Weezer said:

If we get rid of Southgate we might also have to say goodbye to his prodigious luck when it comes to draws as well.

That's exactly what's going to happen.

The next manager will be on around the same level if he's English, but get tough draws and have worse results, so the legend of Sir Gareth will just keep growing. :D

Anyhow, a bit off-topic, but seeing those domestic names you have shows the damage EPL has done to your coaching talent.

Top teams bringing in top coaches is fine, former EPL players also getting jobs is fine, but over the years there were so many painfully average foreign managers in the league that had no place being there. Now FA is EPL's victim because so few domestic coaches got the chance.

1 minute ago, skybluedave said:

Lee Carsley hasn't even done well with the u21s. Not sure why we keep mentioning his name.

Plus he's Irish :brock:

He also turned down the Brentford job when we were in the championship (before we appointed Dean Smith) as he didn't want the scrutiny of being a "high profile manager" so can't see him fancying the England job if Brentford in the championship was too high profile for him :D 

7 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

That's exactly what's going to happen.

The next manager will be on around the same level if he's English, but get tough draws and have worse results, so the legend of Sir Gareth will just keep growing. :D

I’d look forward to it, about time we had a group of death again. Qualifying might hold a bit more interest for me if there was even a hint of jeopardy that we might not qualify instead of a bunch of exhibition matches. Unfortunately with ever expanding tournaments the likelihood of that happening gets slimmer every year.

4 hours ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

As Rob said, if you're going to do it, you need to do it with someone who is established in the English game, and quite frankly how many of those are a) actually suited to international management and b) going to ditch the club game for internationals?

Don't know about a) but England are a decent prospect to coach at the minute. It's not like 10 years ago where it was a bit thankless. The current group are good, have already made a final, and have obvious potential to win. I suspect there's a lot of B and C list managers who fancy their chances of winning something with England.

It's not like going to coach, say, Holland, who are a traditional big nation but where the talent pool is a bit thin at the moment.

7 hours ago, InigoPatinkin said:

It would feel really unfair on Wales/Scotland if they produced a generational talent as manager and we just yoinked him for the English national team and robbed them of the opportunity for instance.    

Would it be that unfair though if that talent has been developed through the English coaching system? I think there's a bit of nuance here you're missing. Scotland/Wales gain far more from having really close links to The Best League In The World.

16 minutes ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

Would it be that unfair though if that talent has been developed through the English coaching system? I think there's a bit of nuance here you're missing. Scotland/Wales gain far more from having really close links to The Best League In The World.

Yeah I think it would, it's extremely debatable that anyone other than the Premier League has benefitted from the Premier League in the last 20 years, and that's not just other home nations but the rest of the footballing pyramid too. I'm sure some Scotland based posters will correct me one way or another but is Scottish football better off now because of living next to the Premier League? 

Trickle down economics seems about as legitimate in football as it does in anywhere else. "None of your clubs can afford to keep your top talent so they all end their development at English clubs, you're welcome, so we should be able to take your best managers" seems... I dunno... a bit grim? 

Edited by InigoPatinkin

I don't doubt that's the case for developing nations who are nowhere near their peak yet, but I think there's undoubtedly a smothering effect of major nations on smaller ones which limits the potential size to which the can grow. That's less noticeable when you start small and expand more quickly than you would otherwise, but Scottish football especially was really well established decades ago and while I'm sure there's other reasons for it's decline, it's been left behind financially by English football to it's detriment. It wasn't even that long ago where in the right circumstances Scottish clubs could hold onto their better players even when the big English teams came sniffing which is long gone now. 

I'm also not convinced on the idea that just because you inadvertently speed up the growth of another country you should be able to go in and lift their better players/manager, especially when it comes to international football. Cricket is a good example, Bazball is great fun is what England did with Eoin Morgan which was the catalyst for it all does feel a bit dirty in hindsight. England itself have some pretty dodgy history with this given our three best coaches in the last 30 years have been two Zimbabweans and what appears to be a Kiwi (not to mention our habit of acquiring some of our players). Cricket probably gets away with it because basically it's Britain's way of getting over the fact that we don't have an empire anyone, so we can enjoy a bit of imperial plunder. All the other test nations keep beating us regardless so they're okay with it.  

I have no idea about Rugby as I don't follow it at all but it seems to be played by all the old commonwealth countries so I can imagine it's the same as cricket, which seems to get away with stuff like this because it's run mostly by the MCC and the old commonwealth countries are used to our plundering ways. 

1 hour ago, InigoPatinkin said:

Yeah I think it would, it's extremely debatable that anyone other than the Premier League has benefitted from the Premier League in the last 20 years, and that's not just other home nations but the rest of the footballing pyramid too. I'm sure some Scotland based posters will correct me one way or another but is Scottish football better off now because of living next to the Premier League? 

Trickle down economics seems about as legitimate in football as it does in anywhere else. "None of your clubs can afford to keep your top talent so they all end their development at English clubs, you're welcome, so we should be able to take your best managers" seems... I dunno... a bit grim? 

We are worse off for it. Nobody wants to watch Scottish football. We get, at absolute best, 30-40 games shown per year on TV. You can watch that many English PL games in a month. It's resulted in our TV deals being pathetic and financially it has strangled the development of our game. You can definitely make the argument that our players benefit from being snapped up by English clubs, but Scottish football as a whole has suffered and stagnated in the shadow of the Sky Money League. 

3 hours ago, Astafjevs said:

Don't know about a) but England are a decent prospect to coach at the minute. It's not like 10 years ago where it was a bit thankless. The current group are good, have already made a final, and have obvious potential to win. I suspect there's a lot of B and C list managers who fancy their chances of winning something with England.

It's not like going to coach, say, Holland, who are a traditional big nation but where the talent pool is a bit thin at the moment.

There's no doubt the England job has its appeal to the managers. But do the B and C list managers have the appeal to the public? And to the players for that matter?

tbf, Gareth is a C-list manager who did alright, but it helped a lot that the team he took over was a transitional one half of which knew him personally (and even our second and third best tournament performances ever and our highest scoring tournaments ever didn't manage to shake off the arguments he was holding the team back)

1 hour ago, InigoPatinkin said:

I have no idea about Rugby as I don't follow it at all but it seems to be played by all the old commonwealth countries so I can imagine it's the same as cricket, which seems to get away with stuff like this because it's run mostly by the MCC and the old commonwealth countries are used to our plundering ways. 

In reality it's just that it's a small community that play it on a global scale so there is more interest in having a competitive international game and the economics of the sport means it's only the castoffs who are choosing a different nationality in the main, because there's more money representing the national team. (Think this will change with the new generation and franchise leagues in cricket).

There's naturalisation in handball too and I don't think that is down to the hangover of British imperial rule in Qatar.

Whereas in football there are enough sides to have competitive international tournaments even if you tighten up nationality criteria.

But I wouldn't allow adult naturalisation tbh

You definitely get way more of the poaching of established/high potential players in cricket than anywhere else though, not to get off topic but it's definitely not just castoffs. Basically any player who plays for one of the star players for the lower ranked test nations (Ballance, Morgan, Hick, Joyce, Rankin) is liable to be picked up with any excuse and even talented players from the likes of NZ and SA end up playing for England either for money or through some dispute (Kieswetter, Pietersen, Caddick, Lamb and a whole host of other SA/Zimbabwean/NZ/AUS dual nationals who hadn't spent a day in England until they moved here as adults to play cricket).  

England has 18 professional sides to offer career prospects in cricket, which skews the economics of it. Pietersen aside it's not really the top talents from other big Test nations, and it's the same in rugby (which also has its own exaggerated issues with Pacific Islanders playing for Australia or New Zealand).

15 hours ago, The_jagster said:

England has 18 professional sides to offer career prospects in cricket, which skews the economics of it. Pietersen aside it's not really the top talents from other big Test nations, and it's the same in rugby (which also has its own exaggerated issues with Pacific Islanders playing for Australia or New Zealand).

Caddick was more than good enough to get into any of the HZ teams of his era and was a mainstay of England's attack for ages. Lamb you can overlook because of SA's situation at the time maybe. 

And for the smaller nations it's literally their best ever players in a couple of cases. 

Wikipedia tells me Caddick's parents were both English so I feel less bad about England taking him (although we come back to my original point that it's the system that develops you which is possibly the most important thing with this stuff when it's about coaches/managers).

Edited by Coulthard's Jaw

2 hours ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

Be interesting to hear from @Weezer about what the atmosphere has been like.

I thought it was great tbh. The atmosphere in the stadiums and fan zones has been brilliant. I don’t think it’s been as loud as a regular British game but I think that’s the nature of a World Cup. The crowd is mixed, there’s a lot of casuals and neutrals, there isn’t the variety of songs and chants as in club football nor the number of fans of that specific team to make it loud enough. The lack of alcohol has also made this the safest feeling World Cup there’s ever been. Crime is already low here anyway (in Brazil you constantly had to check your pockets in crowds) and the closest thing I’ve seen to animosity or aggression here is when a young Qatari guy pushed into the front of a refreshments queue and some Westerners set him straight (queueing is an alien concept to a lot of Asians). Fans have been mixing in busy areas of the city with no tribalism, everybody is just getting along. No heavy handed policing, and the only time I’ve seen security in the stadiums be necessary is when they’re pointing clueless people to their seats.

I think us British people also forget that whilst drinking is so ingrained into our football culture the rest of the world doesn’t. Sure the South American fans have a couple of beers, a lot of the European nations like the Germans, Dutch and Eastern Europeans but they don’t feel the need to get tanked up to enjoy a football game. A lot of the other fans seem to be able to party without getting drunk, because that’s normal for them. I don’t know if it’s always been the case and I’ve never noticed because I only normally watch them on TV but I’ve noticed the English do seem more subdued than others. Maybe that’s because they haven’t been able to get slaughtered and without that we’re naturally reserved? We only seem to have one chant and that’s droning the chorus of the national anthem.

2 minutes ago, VamPook said:

Asians don't know the meaning of queuing?

Really

Is that usually the case

If there's one thing we love doing here, is bloody queueing 

Yeah sorry, that was a lazy generalisation because I’ve not been everywhere in Asia (it’s a big place!) but if you’ve ever been here, China or India you’ll know what I mean.

5 hours ago, skybluedave said:

Basically no (or expensive hard to get) alchohol is the reason for this ain't it :D

That and only about two English fans made the trip

I hope this doesn't give FIFA ideas....

2 hours ago, VamPook said:

Asians don't know the meaning of queuing?

Really

Is that usually the case

If there's one thing we love doing here, is bloody queueing 

I'm assuming that queuing was one of the bits of British culture Lee Kuan Yew most admired ;) 

19 hours ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

Doesn't that (playing devils advocate) also apply to players though? If someone like De Gea or Lloris has lived here for most of their adult life. What about Haaland? He was actually born here so it's even more arguable, his dad lived here for ages, he now works here and lives here, would it be fair if both parties just decided he was now English and it was all okay? If you want to stick with uncapped what about Fofana or ASM? They'd certainly make nice additions to the England squad.

I get where it's coming from for sure, but international sport is inherently a bit jingoistic and "exempt" from the liberal globalist outlook I think most of us here support in virtually every other aspect of life. There's probably some theory about international sports being a healthy outlet for that kind of emotion but lord knows I'm not clever enough to make it. I'd feel much better about the Qatar would Cup if I thought it was averting WW3 :D 

39 minutes ago, InigoPatinkin said:

Doesn't that (playing devils advocate) also apply to players though? If someone like De Gea or Lloris has lived here for most of their adult life. What about Haaland? He was actually born here so it's even more arguable, his dad lived here for ages, he now works here and lives here, would it be fair if both parties just decided he was now English and it was all okay? If you want to stick with uncapped what about Fofana or ASM? They'd certainly make nice additions to the England squad.

I get where it's coming from for sure, but international sport is inherently a bit jingoistic and "exempt" from the liberal globalist outlook I think most of us here support in virtually every other aspect of life. There's probably some theory about international sports being a healthy outlet for that kind of emotion but lord knows I'm not clever enough to make it. I'd feel much better about the Qatar would Cup if I thought it was averting WW3 :D 

Doesn't football adhere to naturalisation rules though? Like, a person and footballer are both considered Spanish if they work in Spain for 3 years iirc. I think every country has this and it applies to someone working/living there. Obviously you get grandparents allowing qualification but even then, that is generally acceptable too i think? There was a lot of people getting Irish passports after Brexit through their grandparents iirc.