*Official* Football Manager 2023 Feedback Thread

2 minutes ago, DarJ said:

what level are you playing at? I had the same problem playing in the Danish 4th and third tier and it has always been that way in the lower leagues apart from last year but to solve that I lowered the passing to the minimum and the tempo to one notch above minimum and the players generally kept the ball well but the centerbacks will still hoof it from time to time which is fair

Vanarama National (and I do use minimum passing, no pass into space, and -1 tempo).  Look, I'm fine with players not being as technically adept at low levels as they were last year.  I don't mind.  And I don't mind players hoofing the ball when there's potentially an attacking pass on, or they're under pressure or whatever.  I get that the Decisions attribute is a thing, they're not robots, whatever (I mean, they are basically robots, but robots with built-in randomness).  But boy it is irritating to watch players not even try playing the way you've instructed them to.   And personally, for me, this is exacerbated by how unpleasant I find this ME to watch. 

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Sunstrikuuu said:

Vanarama National (and I do use minimum passing, no pass into space, and -1 tempo).  Look, I'm fine with players not being as technically adept at low levels as they were last year.  I don't mind.  And I don't mind players hoofing the ball when there's potentially an attacking pass on, or they're under pressure or whatever.  I get that the Decisions attribute is a thing, they're not robots, whatever (I mean, they are basically robots, but robots with built-in randomness).  But boy it is irritating to watch players not even try playing the way you've instructed them to.   And personally, for me, this is exacerbated by how unpleasant I find this ME to watch. 

At that level it's to be expected and I prefer how it was last year although all they needed to do was improve pressing but they tried to make gegenpressing less effective but they didn't do a good job with it. I'm fine with players passing the ball around at the back for no reason if there is no pressure on them and the moment there is pressure they hoof it but the biggest complaint here last year was the passing numbers and possession for teams that aren't and this is what we got as a result of it which is fine as this is how it has always been apart from last year like I said earlier.

2 minutes ago, Sanel said:

There's no way this guy is 180+ PA. Also, 10 tackling for a fullback on a elite side? Uhm...?

13 determination as well...

He's not 180 CA.  But 12 crossing, 14 dribbling, 15 first touch, 11 long shots, 15 passing, 16 technique, 16 flair, 16 decisions?  Plus pretty OK physicals?  As an 18 year old, he's not a bad attacking fullback.  I wouldn't be comfortable with him as the first-choice left back, but as a future-focused backup?  Totally fine, and he should be able to get a bunch of game time in games against weaker sides at home, when the side needs to be rotated to accommodate the Champions League, and in the Copa del Rey.

Just now, DarJ said:

At that level it's to be expected and I prefer how it was last year although all they needed to do was improve pressing but they tried to make gegenpressing less effective but they didn't do a good job with it. I'm fine with players passing the ball around at the back for no reason if there is no pressure on them and the moment there is pressure they hoof it but the biggest complaint here last year was the passing numbers and possession for teams that aren't and this is what we got as a result of it which is fine as this is how it has always been apart from last year like I said earlier.

No, at that level you'd expect misplaced passes as teams try to do things they're not technically capable of.  What you wouldn't expect was players under no pressure kicking long despite instructions as specific as it is possible to be not to.

I get that last year was tilted too far in the direction of technical possession play.  Fine.  Don't care.  It was fun to play and fun to watch, and when I made changes I could see them on the pitch.  This year it's kick-and-run no matter what.

1 minute ago, Sunstrikuuu said:

He's not 180 CA.  But 12 crossing, 14 dribbling, 15 first touch, 11 long shots, 15 passing, 16 technique, 16 flair, 16 decisions?  Plus pretty OK physicals?  As an 18 year old, he's not a bad attacking fullback.  I wouldn't be comfortable with him as the first-choice left back, but as a future-focused backup?  Totally fine, and he should be able to get a bunch of game time in games against weaker sides at home, when the side needs to be rotated to accommodate the Champions League, and in the Copa del Rey.

He's slow though, so other pshyicals don't really matter. His personality and determination affects other player growth in this squad. If the player has 180+ PA it would never reach it anyway due his personality.

2 minutes ago, Sanel said:

He's slow though, so other pshyicals don't really matter. His personality and determination affects other player growth in this squad. If the player has 180+ PA it would never reach it anyway due his personality.

14 pace is fine.  12 acceleration is a bit too low.  He doesn't have to be played as a flying winger; he can tuck in and act as a playmaker. 

Also, is there a second screenshot I'm unaware of showing his full personality?  Determination is one factor, but it's hardly fully deterministic.  We don't know what his ambition or professionalism are, or what his training ratings have been.  As to personalities affecting the squad, if he's an 18 year old prospect other players should be exerting more of an influence on him than he exerts on them, and if the rest of the squad is ambitious, determined and professional, then in theory he should trend in that direction as well.

11 minutes ago, Sunstrikuuu said:

14 pace is fine.  12 acceleration is a bit too low.  He doesn't have to be played as a flying winger; he can tuck in and act as a playmaker. 

Also, is there a second screenshot I'm unaware of showing his full personality?  Determination is one factor, but it's hardly fully deterministic.  We don't know what his ambition or professionalism are, or what his training ratings have been.  As to personalities affecting the squad, if he's an 18 year old prospect other players should be exerting more of an influence on him than he exerts on them, and if the rest of the squad is ambitious, determined and professional, then in theory he should trend in that direction as well.

The player is Unambitious. I sell those players right away. Waste of time to fix a player like that.

26 minutos atrás, Sunstrikuuu disse:

No, at that level you'd expect misplaced passes as teams try to do things they're not technically capable of.  What you wouldn't expect was players under no pressure kicking long despite instructions as specific as it is possible to be not to.

I get that last year was tilted too far in the direction of technical possession play.  Fine.  Don't care.  It was fun to play and fun to watch, and when I made changes I could see them on the pitch.  This year it's kick-and-run no matter what.

I said in my reviews this year of this game. Instructions don't matter and as soon as the midfield line is crossed, a rush fest happens.

It is not the players quality whatsoever, that souldn't happen with Roma, Celta de Vigo, Hajduk Split and Valeranga. Tried a lot of different combinations and always the same rushfest.

In one of my posts I also said that no matter what happens, there will be always SI defenders that will proclaim the game is perfect and smooth sailing and can't see anyone criticize the game. That seems the person you are debating against.

10 minutes ago, Sanel said:

The player is Unambitious. I sell those players right away. Waste of time to fix a player like that.

Right, yeah.  Sorry -- I saw the first screenshot in the quote, and forgot about the others.  With an unambitious personality, I'd also be cutting bait on him.  That said, you'd maybe expect stagnation with that many games played, not collapse in attributes.

10 hours ago, Sunstrikuuu said:

And what happened to the Chaos that was so prevalent in the Beta release but then stopped after the first update because they fixed a few issues but ruined the ME . It was touted as a new feature so we were robbed 

16 hours ago, josel15 said:

I said in my reviews this year of this game. Instructions don't matter and as soon as the midfield line is crossed, a rush fest happens.

It is not the players quality whatsoever, that souldn't happen with Roma, Celta de Vigo, Hajduk Split and Valeranga. Tried a lot of different combinations and always the same rushfest.

In one of my posts I also said that no matter what happens, there will be always SI defenders that will proclaim the game is perfect and smooth sailing and can't see anyone criticize the game. That seems the person you are debating against.

I’m a big critic of the game (although the more I play it the more I’m enjoying it tbh).

I don’t get annoyed by people defending it. It’s literally impossible for SI to satisfy everyone. Some will love this version. You can’t criticise them just because they enjoy playing it. I think the problem with the ME is it’s so difficult to find balance.

They introduced chaos but all I saw was my world class defenders passing straight to attackers under no pressure so I hated that. But some people loved the chaos. I don’t think anyone- not even SI - has said the game is perfect haha.

The interactions with players and managers has needed some serious work for years, as pointed out regularly. Just had another moment of this where a manager is unhappy with the arranged loan agreement. I have a 31 year old on loan and he is unhappy as this player was sent to my club to develop. He is 31 years old, he isnt going out on loan to develop.

1 hour ago, stevemc said:

Disappointed to see my well liked post from Friday has been deleted from this thread - presumably because I fed back that I feel a third of the yearly game cycle is wasted every year on a game that isn't really good enough at launch and needs patches - if that isn't feedback, then neither are a number of the posts that still remain in this thread, from recent days.

I don't believe there's anywhere better to vent frustrations and genuine concerns on FM than in this thread (unless you can link me to a different thread to post in?), but going forward I'll avoid here and just drop them straight on social media & Steam if this thread being cherry-picked for posts being removed, because they could be construed as negative. :thup:

Totally correct . Pay full price for a game that can only be used for 3/4 of a year . But if you read many steam reviews on any game that seems to be the normal thing . All games seem to be released before they are ready especially before Xmas . 

1 hora atrás, SimonHoddle disse:

I’m a big critic of the game (although the more I play it the more I’m enjoying it tbh).

I don’t get annoyed by people defending it. It’s literally impossible for SI to satisfy everyone. Some will love this version. You can’t criticise them just because they enjoy playing it. I think the problem with the ME is it’s so difficult to find balance.

They introduced chaos but all I saw was my world class defenders passing straight to attackers under no pressure so I hated that. But some people loved the chaos. I don’t think anyone- not even SI - has said the game is perfect haha.

I'm glad you are enjoying it, but it's precisely the last line of what you said that makes it impossible for me to play it. That and the midfield just falling asleep every time.

I understand people defending it or pointing some things they like, but some times they come in this thread in waves to try to shut up who does not like the game (and as seen above, one poster had his post removed) and come with "it's your tactics bro" every time. That can be very frustrating, but it's part of a big community as this.

Please stop spamming the thread with patch speculation, there is another thread for that. People have been asked not to that.

It blocks up the thread for people trying to leave feedback, it's not useful to SI because it's not feedback and it's definitely not going to make any update get released earlier. 

It's neither feedback nor relevant to the thread, so yes they will be removed. 

3 minutes ago, Caletti said:

You know that you won't gain supporters by doing this? I think we have the right to criticize a game that has such bugs. The game came out in November and it's March and the game is unplayable due to mistakes in the development of players or the behavior of players in defense. This is my opinion and the SI should take serious the opinion of every player and not pretend that everything is OK.

This post hasn't got anything to do with what I said. What I said is not to fill the thread with patch speculation so I have no idea why you have responded with this. 

17 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

This post hasn't got anything to do with what I said. What I said is not to fill the thread with patch speculation so I have no idea why you have responded with this. 

stevemc's post wasn't speculation about the patch so why was it removed?

46 minutes ago, Caletti said:

stevemc's post wasn't speculation about the patch so why was it removed?

I suspect it probably got caught up in all the spamming about patch speculation removal. Will see if it was and if it can be restored.

EDIT: seen the post and it's replying to yet more date speculation 

Which is exactly why we don't want people filling the thread with date speculation. There is thread designed for that. Please go there, anything else like that here will be removed 

No one stopped you leaving constructive feedback in the first place though, after all its what the thread is for.

That post was actually written before Xaw asked people to stop. I came in and swept up everything that continued to be posted afterwards. Like I said, if people kept to that in the first place it wouldn't have been swept up initially. There's a reason why we constantly ask people to stay on topic, so things don't get buried or lost. 

4 hours ago, Caletti said:

You know that you won't gain supporters by doing this? I think we have the right to criticize a game that has such bugs. The game came out in November and it's March and the game is unplayable due to mistakes in the development of players or the behavior of players in defense. This is my opinion and the SI should take serious the opinion of every player and not pretend that everything is OK.

It's not unplayable. It's unplayable FOR YOU. Big difference.

53 minutes ago, iAlwaysWin said:

Maybe employ more staff?

won't solve it. Think about it this way, they have to release the game every year and they can't spend all their time working on a patch for the current game, they have to at some point stop an move all recourses towards the next game and it so happens  that in football there is a transfer window at the middle of the season where players are allowed to move around and it's the perfect time for SI to put out the last patch to update the data base and fix what they are able to fix and move everything to the next game. The only way they would go back to working on the current game after the winter patch is if there is some issue that makes the game literally unplayable like crashes.

I don't blame them for that, every yearly release game has the same issue. some things are easier to fix and don't require as much testing and somethings are not, that is the nature of software  

1 hour ago, DarJ said:

won't solve it. Think about it this way, they have to release the game every year and they can't spend all their time working on a patch for the current game, they have to at some point stop an move all recourses towards the next game and it so happens  that in football there is a transfer window at the middle of the season where players are allowed to move around and it's the perfect time for SI to put out the last patch to update the data base and fix what they are able to fix and move everything to the next game. The only way they would go back to working on the current game after the winter patch is if there is some issue that makes the game literally unplayable like crashes.

I don't blame them for that, every yearly release game has the same issue. some things are easier to fix and don't require as much testing and somethings are not, that is the nature of software  

Si can release as many match engine patches as they please, i would presume that staff and income resources that stops them. Many game companies that have much bigger revenue with in game purchases have no problem releasing patches on a regular basis. More staff would mean you could split your time resources its not rocket science, seems your only making excuses to why SI dont behave like other game developers which i find odd.

Edited by iAlwaysWin

2 hours ago, Caletti said:

Yes, I know. As I wrote it's my opinion. And as I wrote SI should take serious every opinion.

No they shouldn’t. My opinion is that we should have players eye-view replays of good goals.

It’s a ridiculous opinion and one that shouldn’t be given any shrift by SI

10 minutes ago, iAlwaysWin said:

Many game companies that have much bigger revenue with in game purchases have no problem releasing patches on a regular basis

yearly release games? I doubt that. I would agree with you if it was a game like GTA that has a few years in between cycles, like why would SI or any other company waste resources on a patch for FM 21 match engine when where in FM 23? it doesn't make sense to me. Now FM is the only game I play with a yearly release cycle so if there are any other gaming companies that are on the same cycle as SI that keep releasing patches for an old game when there is a new one let me know 

1 hour ago, DarJ said:

yearly release games? I doubt that. I would agree with you if it was a game like GTA that has a few years in between cycles, like why would SI or any other company waste resources on a patch for FM 21 match engine when where in FM 23? it doesn't make sense to me. Now FM is the only game I play with a yearly release cycle so if there are any other gaming companies that are on the same cycle as SI that keep releasing patches for an old game when there is a new one let me know 

FM is pretty much a copy and paste game every year with a few added features, the core game is always the same for a long long time, not exactly a bran new game is it.

10 hours ago, Deisler26 said:

It's not unplayable. It's unplayable FOR YOU. Big difference.

That's not true either.  If you have the issue of Jerky 3D with frame issues due to the adboards that make it unplayable its an issue for many,even with the band- aid fix . 

20 minutes ago, alian62 said:

That's not true either.  If you have the issue of Jerky 3D with frame issues due to the adboards that make it unplayable its an issue for many,even with the band- aid fix . 

But it's not definitively unplayable.

1 hour ago, Socerer 01 said:

if your video card overheats like it did for some here and you can't see the match you're managing without heavy stutters like for some others then that is unplayable.

But it's not definitively unplayable.

2 hours ago, Socerer 01 said:

how is it not unplayable when I can’t interact with a major module of the game without subjecting my system to risk? this wasn’t just one isolated occurrence either for one user, stop peddling the same pedantry. 

Stop claiming the game is unplayable then. I haven’t had a single technical issue and it is eminently playable for me. Whether it is enjoyable, is another thing entirely

Fed up of seeing the same hyperbole on this thread

Edited by Deisler26

29 minutes ago, jeru said:

There are numerous posts in the bug tracker about choppy match engine or match engine stuttering, but they have been marked as a known issue and all been locked so they now disappear off the first page……….

SI probably won't use the bug tracker as their main bug tracking tool, so this shouldn't be a problem.

Before december patch GPU load was was higher but no lag in matches (GTX 1650 only as a graphic card) It is much lower after that but what it needs to be adressed is youth development for AI teams. AT least in active leagues and the transfer market, Or the AI tactics according to match situation. One of them fixed would be improvement for me for future version..

11 hours ago, CFuller said:

What do you mean by "more than some"? I totally understand your frustration, but there don't seem to be many reports in the Bug Tracker.

If this was happening to "more than some" users, I'm sure SI would have prioritised putting out a hotfix ASAP instead of just waiting until the next big update.

I'll admit I had a bit of ME stuttering here and there when I was running a test save a few weeks back, but it wasn't happening frequently enough to put me off playing.

Because the word 'some' sounds like its irrelevant when in fact it's not . 

Dialogue during press conferences/tunnel interviews/conversations can't be modded can it? After a season, its all the same text every time (and the same text as previous games...) and I've just found that I skip every one of them as its boring to see the same things over and over. From what I've noticed, the press conferences seem to have no impact on anything, but thats a separate discussion/issue so I don't think I'm negatively impacting my game by ignoring this section. 

I seem to remember on a much older version that additional commentary lines could be added to the game (I think it involved editing a text file!), however it did add a bit of freshness to matches as it wasn't the same phrases repeated every couple of games. Couldn't the same be done for all the questions and dialogue options? Changing the text wouldn't change what happened as a result of the answer but it would at least add a bit more immersion back into that area and make it a little more realistic rather than a constant Groundhog Day before every game. 

I definitely feel like I'm skipping much more of the content in this version compared to others, either as it hasn't added anything (manager accessories, Squad Planner, the Champions League music....) or I've seen it all before. It just seems a shame that I'm not using a lot of the game that a lot of hard work has been put into. 

I let handle all press dialogues via Staff with the exception of my manager inauguration press conference and the usual i am happy to sign a new contract thing.

They are quite repetitive and boring and i am not paid enough to sit there smiling while answering the tenth boring question in a row.

I tend anyway to give my staff quite some tasks - my task is to hire good personel and decide who stays/plays and who goes in a formation that is successfull and strategically fitting.

Training, Press, most interactions are not entertaining but i can scout for hours without end bcs that is a key element (well, i can better scout on a Light Skin than a Dark Skin as the latter exhausts my eyes in no time).

And i need the attributes displayed in the classic way bcs i dont look for individual numbers put for patterns.

I’m sure it’s just me but last night I actually had an answer to a tunnel interview that I hadn’t seen before.

Cant remember the exact wording but it was definitely a take on Cantona’s famous “seagulls” response. Totally random and obscure.

Made me chuckle. I used it, ofc. We won the treble 😉

7 hours ago, DMC-12 said:

Dialogue during press conferences/tunnel interviews/conversations can't be modded can it? After a season, its all the same text every time (and the same text as previous games...) and I've just found that I skip every one of them as its boring to see the same things over and over. From what I've noticed, the press conferences seem to have no impact on anything, but thats a separate discussion/issue so I don't think I'm negatively impacting my game by ignoring this section. 

Press conferences suffer because the reality is that they are boring in real life. Manager's hate having to answer the same questions over and over again and they are often on a hiding to nothing if they say the wrong thing (i.e. Nathan Jones this season). I'd rather have a system where we got 1-2 questions max that were purely contextual to the hot button topic at either the club or the league in general that week and had actual ramifications for morale or board/supporter/opposing manager relationships. Same with pre-match and post-match.