*Official* Football Manager 2023 Feedback Thread

hace 3 horas, 91427 dijo:

It was, as I said, from a yard out. Into an open goal 

xG in the game doesn't necessarily know it's an open goal. Players tend to miss-kick often from crosses. Calibrating xG is incredibly difficult and there are choices to be made, both in designing it for the game and in real life.

Accusing the developers of "deliberately trying to hide unrealistically high chance creation and unrealistically poor finishing" is incredibly dumb and also offensive. Do you also believe that matches are scripted? :rolleyes:

Edited by TokyoWanderer

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

19 hours ago, autohoratio said:

What that second screenshot tells me is that your team have lots of the ball, but their average shot quality is quite low (average 0.13 xG), compared to the opponent who sit deep, defend well, created a good chance (0.45 xG, 3.5x better than your average) on a counter-attack against a team who presumably were playing a high defensive line, and scored from that shot.

Which is how results like this happen:

aYFRj.jpeg

Yup, that probably is the case in some games and I've no problems with that as it is reflective of real life and is one of the risks of how I chose to play.

These were just 4-5 screenshots I have had to hand from the last 7-8 games I've played. I'm 10 seasons in and feel like this happens an awful lot, even with lower XG chances.

Loaded up to play this evening. 

First game....

You guessed it...

I want to stress again I don't mind this happening at points through the season. And I'm sure I can keep tweaking my tactic. But it just happens so regularly. 

And maybe just a few times enjoy the result going the other way!

image.thumb.png.f286d3df39ead329dbd9f2db7ef1044a.png

image.thumb.png.21f7bc393ebcb4de12cdfbf3472b51a2.png

6 hours ago, 91427 said:

It was, as I said, from a yard out. Into an open goal 

And what about the memes of players like Torres, Morata, Werner, Lukaku, Nunez, etc.. missing open goals from a yard out or just missing open goals in the box?

Just because a player is close to the goals, and the goal face is open, doesn't mean that they will 100% convert that chance.

8 hours ago, Zemahh said:

Thing with this is, there has to be some level of difficulty to loans. If you agreed to play a player in a GK role, you're breaking the contract by playing him as a SK.

Loans shouldn't be too easy to exploit, there has to be something that is making you put at least some kind of thought into it.

I don't understand this at all. 

The thought you put into it should be the same squadbuilding question you ask about every player: is this the right guy? what resources are appropriate to secure his services?   And the offering club ought to be asking similar questions: what am I looking for out of this loan?  Is this option the best for me?  Are the finances right?  Is is optimal for development?  Whether the offering club is looking for financial relief or development, player role shouldn't be a particularly important factor.  I'm not talking about positions here.  If a team wants to offer a player out and asks that they play in central defense rather than at right back, that's fine.  That's fully within their purview. 

The problem with making role a part of it is that roles are so nebulous that there ought to be no way for an observer to know some roles from another purely through watching from the stands.  What's the visual difference between an advanced playmaker on support in central midfield and a central midfielder on support with the Shoot Less, Hold Position and Take More Risks instructions?  Or an Advanced Forward who presses more versus a Pressing Forward on attack, a role/duty combination that in the text says it functions like an advanced forward in attacking phases?  And that's before you get into the silliness of, like, games in the French 6th tier that aren't on TV or streamed, have tiny crowds, and the players being from teams that can't really afford scouts. 

And even after that, I mean jeez.  I can't speak to '23 specifically, but in the past the AI has had an absolute hard-on for player roles in loan negotiations.  They'd rather have their player rot on the bench with the proper role than play all the time in the wrong one.  This is a very bad combination in a series of versions that's emphasizing playing time more and more for youth development, a thing the AI famously struggles with.

Add to that there are already tools for making loans difficult.  Leagues have rules about how many players can be loaned.  Loans don't allow your team to build year-on-year chemistry.  Relying on loans as you move up the leagues means you have to replace key players every single season, and that means you have to change tactics and playing styles to suit whoever's available in the market.  And if that's not enough, there are already clauses that can be put into loans to make them more restrictive, like fees, wages, bonuses and required playing time.  And frankly I'm not sure why making them difficult ought to be an objective.  The game should be modeling a realistic environment, not adding artificial impediments.

5 hours ago, TokyoWanderer said:

xG in the game doesn't necessarily know it's an open goal.

When it was introduced in FM21, xG considered defender positioning, shot speed, body part creating the shot, type of the attack, shot location and angle and the creation source, including qualities of the incoming pass.

I mean, it still might not know that it's an open goal, but that would be a case of the feature not working correctly.

5 hours ago, Ghost4928 said:

And what about the memes of players like Torres, Morata, Werner, Lukaku, Nunez, etc.. missing open goals from a yard out or just missing open goals in the box?

Just because a player is close to the goals, and the goal face is open, doesn't mean that they will 100% convert that chance.

I'm aware it happens. But players don't miss from a yard out 40% of the time. Therefore in my experience there's an issue with xg in this game

24 minutes ago, 91427 said:

I'm aware it happens. But players don't miss from a yard out 40% of the time. Therefore in my experience there's an issue with xg in this game

That's completing ignoring situational factors and going purely on ball, attacker and goal. Where is the keeper in this scenario, does he have a chance of stopping the shot, what about other defenders that might be on the line (less likely to stop the goal, sure, but still not impossible).

I'm also unsure how FM calculates xG, and what stats they are using and how they are using it.

To say it's an issue without knowing the inner workings of it and all the situational factors that the engine has considered, but not represented well graphically, seems over the top.

Player Interactions - dont they understand that a year does not change bcs its a few weeks later?

Winning promotion to 3.Liga germany and becoming a fully professional club with a wage budget of 600k p.a. (600k for the whole team for the whole season ~12k per week) and all but one player having still 2 year contracts albeit the cheap semi pro type.

So my avg, wage p.a. is 27.000 € in a league where the league avg is 220.000 € and understandingly the players (most of them) want better contracts.

So they start to interact with me and i have to deny their claims and state the club is unable to afford higher wages atm bcs i have maybe 30k p.a. left and can not afford to increase wages by the tens of thousands for each player.

Now every few weeks the same players come and want better contracts - dont they know that in a season the finances dont change?

That is a type of uneccessary interactions after the first meeting isnt it?

Would be great if somehow they would understand... :)

PS: And i can not make promises bcs i dont know if i stay in the league and if i do i still do not know the budget i have next season anyway.

Edited by Etebaer

Overall, I enjoy FM23 a lot, but I would like to see some improvements with the next update or version.

- The new Squad Planner is useless. I really don't enjoy it and miss the version we had before. Much more customization options are needed. (Or just bring back the old planner).

- I really would like an "Undo"-button for every interaction with staff and players. I can't count how often I have to reload a save until I get some kind of acceptable outcome of a discussion with my player. It is a real pain. And I understand that it is unrealistic, but save scumming just do avoid an overreacting player and agent is just not a nice feature. Way too much trial and error in the interactions.

Edited by monkeypunch1987

On 06/01/2023 at 00:35, hagedisboy said:

I feel like the game has become way too complicated. The glaring issues aside (they’ve all been mentioned numerous times in this thread), there’s so many clicks to find simple information. Pointless meeting after pointless meeting, we are talking about a computer game here. It’s meant to pass the time, but SI are striving for realism. Who’s going to tell them it isn’t real life? The whole point of the game is to have fun, but it takes far too much time now. It’s time to go back to the basics, I’m just not having fun anymore. It almost feels like a fulltime job. 

I 100% agree with this. I play FM to relax after a hard days work, not to have another 2 hours of chores and stress. That said, I understand a lot of players want FM to be as hard and realsitic as possible, and SI will never be able to satisfy both groups with the same game.

Unfortunately this is rated 85% positive on steam and one of its best sellers. We won't get change next year or the year after. Si will happily make mediocre updates year on year because it sells anyway and has no competition. 

Football manager is doomed like FIFA, no competition and enough people will buy it every year regardless, you just have to look at this thread and the beta to see that people end up caving and buying it.

It's disappointing because from 2005 to about 2014, I loved this game, then it became less a game and more a frustrating job that I put up with.

Last one I bought was fm21 and played that for about 5 hours. 

Edited by FCP_Football

9 hours ago, Ghost4928 said:

That's completing ignoring situational factors and going purely on ball, attacker and goal. Where is the keeper in this scenario, does he have a chance of stopping the shot, what about other defenders that might be on the line (less likely to stop the goal, sure, but still not impossible).

I'm also unsure how FM calculates xG, and what stats they are using and how they are using it.

To say it's an issue without knowing the inner workings of it and all the situational factors that the engine has considered, but not represented well graphically, seems over the top.

Some really bizarre mental gymnastics here. An open goal from a yard out should have a higher xg than a penalty. The fact it doesn't in my experience shows there is an issue. It's that simple 

3 hours ago, FCP_Football said:

Unfortunately this is rated 85% positive on steam and one of its best sellers. We won't get change next year or the year after. Si will happily make mediocre updates year on year because it sells anyway and has no competition. 

Football manager is doomed like FIFA, no competition and enough people will buy it every year regardless, you just have to look at this thread and the beta to see that people end up caving and buying it.

It's disappointing because from 2005 to about 2014, I loved this game, then it became less a game and more a frustrating job that I put up with.

Said it before there's no serious competition and no other company can be bothered making one . As you said it all started going wrong after 2014 exactly when FIFA Manager stopped 

13 hours ago, Ghost4928 said:

Ok, but there's actually no way to know any of those things because the match engine is a black box to the users.  Raising issues can't depend on knowing the unknowable.

6 hours ago, FCP_Football said:

Yeah when a certain someone become promoted to a certain position at SI, Football Manager stopped being a game and started focusing to become a simulation.....

But unfortunately, because of budget, unrealistic goals or lack of clear direction the game fails at both things.

It's not gamey enough so you can relax to it like I did in the years before where you got a single question instead of the same press conference every game and when you could really create your own tactics ( with use of sliders and arrows you could create any role you can today and more).

And it fails miserably as a simulation with the unrealistic ME, unrealistic graphics, unrealistic AI (squad building, transfers ) and general AI performance.

In my opinion the game should try to be a game again because the first time you hit continue you create a new world in which AFC Wimbledon can win the CL or sign Mbappe....

5 minutes ago, FM1000 said:

Yeah when a certain someone become promoted to a certain position at SI, Football Manager stopped being a game and started focusing to become a simulation.....

But unfortunately, because of budget, unrealistic goals or lack of clear direction the game fails at both things.

It's not gamey enough so you can relax to it like I did in the years before where you got a single question instead of the same press conference every game and when you could really create your own tactics ( with use of sliders and arrows you could create any role you can today and more).

And it fails miserably as a simulation with the unrealistic ME, unrealistic graphics, unrealistic AI (squad building, transfers ) and general AI performance.

In my opinion the game should try to be a game again because the first time you hit continue you create a new world in which AFC Wimbledon can win the CL or sign Mbappe....

Personally I want realism. So much so that I deliberately put restrictions on myself and have created a skin that disables loads of “features” to help with that.

Each to their own of course.

In the tunnel for the Europa Conference League Final, I was asked this question:

Bug? No.
Annoying, odd and immersion breaking? Yes, in my opinion.

Just another example of poor interactions and press questions within the game that need re-working and expanding on to reduce the repetition.

image.thumb.png.a9f5a0788fc86292716167e42de7a3a3.png

9 hours ago, 91427 said:

Some really bizarre mental gymnastics here. An open goal from a yard out should have a higher xg than a penalty. The fact it doesn't in my experience shows there is an issue. It's that simple 

How is it bizarre mental gymnastics when all the factors I mentioned quite literally contribute to the calculations of xG?

On 06/01/2023 at 00:06, autohoratio said:

What that second screenshot tells me is that your team have lots of the ball, but their average shot quality is quite low (average 0.13 xG), compared to the opponent who sit deep, defend well, created a good chance (0.45 xG, 3.5x better than your average) on a counter-attack against a team who presumably were playing a high defensive line, and scored from that shot.

Which is how results like this happen:

aYFRj.jpeg

The celtic v barca stats shown there are a well known photoshop

12 hours ago, pedrosantos said:

Press questions have been something to just ignore since they have introduced, its a completly waste of time. Best solution, deliver all press interactions to your staff.

That's true and I generally do in a one club save, but it if you are changing clubs it does negatively effects your manager profile and is raised in job interviews that you are poor with the press.

23 minutes ago, stevemc said:

That's true and I generally do in a one club save, but it if you are changing clubs it does negatively effects your manager profile and is raised in job interviews that you are poor with the press.

Yes, this is the issue with delegation.  It's fine if you're a one club manager, but if you're doing a journeyman save it feeds negatively into job interviews.  This is why we need an option to completely omit press conferences rather than just delegate them.

11 minutes ago, rp1966 said:

Yes, this is the issue with delegation.  It's fine if you're a one club manager, but if you're doing a journeyman save it feeds negatively into job interviews.  This is why we need an option to completely omit press conferences rather than just delegate them.

Absolutely agree, I'm doing a Glory Hunter save so I'm having to go through the mundane media cycle - I have figured out that if you do everything except the pre-match press conferences, you get away with it :thup:

Anyone check their profile and see if the “fees paid to agents” is broken?

Apparently I’ve only paid £250,000 in agent fees in 5 seasons, doesn’t seem quite right? It’s been sat on £250,000 since last summer when I left Wrexham for Newcastle United…

16 horas atrás, Tyburn disse:

Personally I want realism. So much so that I deliberately put restrictions on myself and have created a skin that disables loads of “features” to help with that.

Each to their own of course.

Can I ask which skin you use?

Even tho I'm still playing FM21, I also put some restrictions in my game. For example I use a skin that shows starts instead of attributes and no CA/PA stars. I also don't use player search and I leave all the scouting to my scouts and only sign players those players they scout.

What about transfers? Do you impose some restrictions?

1 minute ago, mikcheck said:

Can I ask which skin you use?

Even tho I'm still playing FM21, I also put some restrictions in my game. For example I use a skin that shows starts instead of attributes and no CA/PA stars. I also don't use player search and I leave all the scouting to my scouts and only sign players those players they scout.

What about transfers? Do you impose some restrictions?

It’s my own custom skin (not for release this year). But seeing as you’re playing FM21 I released a skin for this version called “NoStars&Attributes21”. Is still available for download in the skinning hideout. No stars, no attributes, no player search or staff search and a few other tweaks. Sounds like you may already be using it 😊

On 05/01/2023 at 23:35, hagedisboy said:

I feel like the game has become way too complicated. The glaring issues aside (they’ve all been mentioned numerous times in this thread), there’s so many clicks to find simple information. Pointless meeting after pointless meeting, we are talking about a computer game here. It’s meant to pass the time, but SI are striving for realism. Who’s going to tell them it isn’t real life? The whole point of the game is to have fun, but it takes far too much time now. It’s time to go back to the basics, I’m just not having fun anymore. It almost feels like a fulltime job. 

Absolutely correct.  The worst part is that the AI will completely screw up these basic tasks if you give it control.  Your assistant manager will say stupid things at press conferences, your director of football will spend crazy money on old and declining players, your technical director will sign poorly rated staff for no apparent reason, your assistant manager will give you a training schedule that is as suboptimal as they come – the list just goes on and on.

Anyone else noticing an incredible high amount of yellow cards? 4 seasons in to a Plymouth save and at least twice a season we're being fined for not controlling our players. We're probably averaging 3-4 yellows per game, my right back had 7 yellow cards after only 12 games in to the league campaign.

I am playing a gegenpress system but I don't have "get stuck in" on or fully maxed high press, so I don't understand why we're getting so many yellows. Never seemed to have this issue in previous editions. Spoke to a few friends who have noticed the same with their saves too.

Wondering if it is just a coincidence or whether others are finding this? I personally find it way over the top though.

Can anyone shed some light on this turn of events? I just won Serie A on the last day of the season and saw my team lift the trophy. I return to my inbox and see this:

image.thumb.png.6c3191aafa7caebf1798fd9b60a875fa.png

League table:

image.thumb.png.d503531626ff3958c7f54721d8a6d3d6.png

Sorting rules:

image.thumb.png.b98281a7b7804e573550bc75f1b64ed8.png

My record against Lazio:

image.thumb.png.caf977c7bddb88d769b9f84d92eda542.png

Is it because our goal difference is the same? Either way, why did I just witness the trophy presentation??

5 horas atrás, Tyburn disse:

It’s my own custom skin (not for release this year). But seeing as you’re playing FM21 I released a skin for this version called “NoStars&Attributes21”. Is still available for download in the skinning hideout. No stars, no attributes, no player search or staff search and a few other tweaks. Sounds like you may already be using it 😊

Ah yes, that's the one I'm using and I forgot that I was talking to that skin's creator :D. Thank you for the skin btw. It really make thins more realistic.

1 hour ago, rdbayly said:

Is it because our goal difference is the same? Either way, why did I just witness the trophy presentation??

Being presented with the trophy is the bug. Serie A decide by head to head results and it was equal between you and Lazio.

Good luck in the playoff!

43 minutes ago, Balahara said:

Being presented with the trophy is the bug. Serie A decide by head to head results and it was equal between you and Lazio.

Good luck in the playoff!

Surely it must be head-to-head result, if that's equal the goal difference, if that's equal again the number of goals scored? Even if the head-to-head was equal, Napoli has a superior goal difference, so should be crowned champions.

Another poor interaction.

Just signed Son on free, on a one-year deal (+ optional 1 year by club) - on the very same day he signs, I get asked this question...

image.thumb.png.cfcb71d109911e04a925f9ccd6283827.png

He literally got a work permit the day before.

COME ON SI, SORT THIS GAME OUT!

13 hours ago, ScottishFM said:

Anyone else noticing an incredible high amount of yellow cards? 4 seasons in to a Plymouth save and at least twice a season we're being fined for not controlling our players. We're probably averaging 3-4 yellows per game, my right back had 7 yellow cards after only 12 games in to the league campaign.

I am playing a gegenpress system but I don't have "get stuck in" on or fully maxed high press, so I don't understand why we're getting so many yellows. Never seemed to have this issue in previous editions. Spoke to a few friends who have noticed the same with their saves too.

Wondering if it is just a coincidence or whether others are finding this? I personally find it way over the top though.

I've always had a high amount of yellow cards, no matter what FM I play.  Doesn;t matter that the season I took over a team the year before they had ~50 Yellows, when I coach they get 80+, and thats without me diving into tackles or getting stuck in.  And after I leave the club goes back down to ~50 yellows.  I just chalk it up to my players wanting to play hard for me and move on.

vor 15 Stunden schrieb GOODNAME:

About the feature "better AI managers"

Anyone actually see difference in the AI managers ? 

I only noticed so far that in the transferwindow when i list a good player i want have that was not looked for the whole season the moment i make an offer its like sharks smell blood and quite often a multitude of counteroffers from other clubs arrives.

13 hours ago, rdbayly said:

Can anyone shed some light on this turn of events? I just won Serie A on the last day of the season and saw my team lift the trophy. I return to my inbox and see this:

image.thumb.png.6c3191aafa7caebf1798fd9b60a875fa.png

League table:

image.thumb.png.d503531626ff3958c7f54721d8a6d3d6.png

Sorting rules:

image.thumb.png.b98281a7b7804e573550bc75f1b64ed8.png

My record against Lazio:

image.thumb.png.caf977c7bddb88d769b9f84d92eda542.png

It's the rules actually, from the wiki for Serie A.

Tiebreaking[edit]

If after all 38 games there are two teams tied on points for first place, the team that wins the scudetto is decided by a single-legged play-off game of 90 minutes and penalties (no extra time), to be held at a neutral venue.[30] If more than two teams are tied for one of those spots then the two teams to play in the match is decided by a mini table between the teams involved. For a tie in any other position the deciding tie-breakers are as follows:

1. Head-to-head points
  2. Goal difference of head-to-head games
  3. Goal difference overall
  4. Higher number of goals scored
  5. Play-off game at a neutral venue if relevant to decide European spot or relegation; otherwise by draw[31]

And this is the article they cite, its a new rule from this year apparently:

https://www.cbssports.com/soccer/news/serie-a-introduce-scudetto-tiebreaker-one-match-playoff-to-determine-champion-if-teams-tied-at-seasons-end/

It's a bug in the the details on the league rules page, they are incorrect in not stating the difference between a tie for 1st and a tie for other positions, but the rules within the game were applied correctly.  

Jellico

Currently in 3.Liga germany my Sweeper Keeper is a real penalty killer while having a 2 in the attribute - he saved way more than a couple of points by now it looks he kept us in the league with it.

An no, we are not unfair and provoke penalties my team is lauded to be the most "clean" team in the league!

Edited by Etebaer

1 hour ago, Jellico73 said:

It's the rules actually, from the wiki for Serie A.

Tiebreaking[edit]

If after all 38 games there are two teams tied on points for first place, the team that wins the scudetto is decided by a single-legged play-off game of 90 minutes and penalties (no extra time), to be held at a neutral venue.[30] If more than two teams are tied for one of those spots then the two teams to play in the match is decided by a mini table between the teams involved. For a tie in any other position the deciding tie-breakers are as follows:

1. Head-to-head points
  2. Goal difference of head-to-head games
  3. Goal difference overall
  4. Higher number of goals scored
  5. Play-off game at a neutral venue if relevant to decide European spot or relegation; otherwise by draw[31]

And this is the article they cite, its a new rule from this year apparently:

https://www.cbssports.com/soccer/news/serie-a-introduce-scudetto-tiebreaker-one-match-playoff-to-determine-champion-if-teams-tied-at-seasons-end/

It's a bug in the the details on the league rules page, they are incorrect in not stating the difference between a tie for 1st and a tie for other positions, but the rules within the game were applied correctly.  

Jellico

Yeah I googled it after I posted and read this. The issue is twofold with both the bugged trophy presentation and the Serie A rules page failing to mention anything of this playoff. I have no desire to continue the save and will step away from the game now. The most unpolished and disappointing release in many, many years.    

1 minute ago, rdbayly said:

Yeah I googled it after I posted and read this. The issue is twofold with both the bugged trophy presentation and the Serie A rules page failing to mention anything of this playoff. I have no desire to continue the save and will step away from the game now. The most unpolished and disappointing release in many, many years.    

At least submit a bug report first.  I wouldn't assume anyone else has...

19 hours ago, ScottishFM said:

The whole point of Gegenpress is you're applying a lot of pressure and getting, for want of a better phrase, intaethum.  Even if you're doing that with the best players, that's going to lead to more fouls, and that's likely going to lead to more bookings.  I've seen similar things on occasion with my save, but I always wrote it off as using poorer players making more mistakes.  Guess it would depend on exactly how the bookings are happening.  If they're all for innocuous reasons totally unrelated to the system, and they're not happening under other systems, then you may have something.  

I think that in fm24, the press-resistance of players with good skills should be implemented on the match engine.

Looking at the match engine so far, I have seen a lot of players with very good press-resistance skills such as Messi and Kovacic just pulling the ball without power under pressure.

Also, dribbling is rarely implemented at all. Hopefully that will change in fm24.

The fm23 match engine makes world class players look like local league players.

What is this nonsense, bottom of the league st mirren in a surprising defeat to runaway leaders and champions celtic:seagull: I dont even want to answer the question its that frustrating. Sheer immersion breaking rubbish, please tighten this game up its all the place this year

360DF750-823A-4A8D-BC29-B3AD938EDF15.jpeg

2 minutes ago, southside said:

What is this nonsense, bottom of the league st mirren in a surprising defeat to runaway leaders and champions celtic:seagull: I dont even want to answer the question its that frustrating. Sheer immersion breaking rubbish, please tighten this game up its all the place this year

360DF750-823A-4A8D-BC29-B3AD938EDF15.jpeg

You have the option to not comment.

Anyone else having loads of players getting to the byline and just shooting from a ridiculous angle instead of passing? Feels like I’m back in fm17. 

Having the same issues as most people, players standing still and being tackled when they have time and space, goalkeepers getting far too many assists, and defenders leaving their man to go chase someone who’s already being marked. Goalkeepers (or at least the animations) are the worst they’ve been for years, so many shots kicked at the keeper which go in 

Also why can I no longer have my captain talk to unhappy players without having to go into the interactions menu? It keeps recommending I get my sports scientist to talk which never works 

Edited by Lambo95