Here ya go!

Premiership:

prem.jpg

I missed out by one point last season. :(

F.A. Cup:

fa.jpg

Current league table:

table.jpg

We've been having scoring problems, I bought a not outstanding bloke called Flowers, hope he helps us! We usually have great form in the latter half of the season, thanks to me setting win bonuses.

I can never get a win against Torquay, always a draw. Grr.

Incidentally, England haven't won the Anglo-Italia Cup since 2002 (Chelsea) and England are rubbish in Europe (though we've done well), even the Cup Winners Cup.

It's sad that i get proud when i see Torquay do good in other peoples games. Now, if only we could do this in real life...

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Funny to see everyone's history with the game. Mine actually started in 1990 with "Player Manager" on the Amiga

Guy Roux Manager 1993 and a friend recommended I tried championship manager 96/97 when I was in uni. After that I was seriously hooked and never looked at any other football manager game as I found all the other ones lacking in realism and depth. Great work SI for getting me hooked since the nineties!

I loved CM 97/98 and the subsequent CM 3 when I was at school! They were so much simpler to just play a few seasons in a short space of time. As much as I love FM 12 it takes far too much time and is way too complicated compared to the games of old. I'm really looking forward to the new classic mode on FM 13 and gettin the mighty Pools into the Premier League!

Sorry to bump this thread.

I still play this all the time and I have a few tips and tricks for anyone interested.

First off, the formation.

You will no doubt win the league if you go with the following formation

championshipmanagertactoa8.jpg

Put Nr 4 as CB and thats the exact formation i used to win 10 seasons in a row with Tottenham back in the day.

Great memories..

Was 11 years old and i remember getting a dictionary to look for the meaning of words such as Responsible, Arrogant etc.. : )

This game really helped me to improve my English..

And yes, the simplicity of the game was something great.. Even now when i look at the screenshots, it makes me understand how much i miss it.

Do you guys also remember '' Tracksuit Manager'' ?

It was an amazing game too..

• 1 year later...

I will always miss the quick turnover of matches on the old cm's its what gave it its addictiveness. FMC mode on the new FM has done a good job bringing that feeling back a bit :-). I think the old school gamers of the series all miss that a little deep down. I remember being able to do a season on cm9798 in less than 60 mins with a speeder :-)

Wow!

Nostalgia!! :)

I started out with a different game than CM though for a while. Until CM 96/97 I think it was.

Premier Manager - Amiga

Premier_Manager_1.png

Incredible stadium builder!!! :D

41597-premier-manager-2-amiga-screenshot-improve-stadiums.gif

It was really cool though the way you HAD to pick a team from the Conference and work your way up the leagues.

I've tried a few Fifa Manager games over the years too. wow. So bad!

CM/FM was, and always will be the daddy

Wow, this is amazing, this was my first experience too, brilliant memories :)

I used to play this all the time but then I took an arrow in the knee! (Sorry, Skyrim reference! Won't mean a thing to you unless you have played that!)

My first football manager game was on the BBC from a company called Qualsoft called League Division One which was an amazing game given the limitations of the BBC Micro. Then of course this came out and my life was taken over completely. Anyone else remember the version with Clive Tyldelsey's commentary? "ANOTHER yellow card!"

http://eager.back2roots.org/DATA/T/TRAMA2A.html

I wonder if Tracksuit Manager 2 is the grandaddy of the CM series? The font and overall graphic look soo similar!

Hah, given the timeline (that was released in '96), I suspect it was the other way round, with TM2 trying to piggyback off of the success of CM by copying its style.

• 1 year later...

Hey folks, CM93 veteran here!

A question for the gurus:

I recently got a hold of an Amiga 600 and CM93 to relive a few childhood memories. My problem? No Mark Collis!

I have tried both update disks (including the "end of season 94" with his name on the splash screen) but neither he nor Ferrrah Orosco are in the Cambridge squad! :(

What am I remember wrong? How do I get these legendary players in the game?!

Cheers!

Yes I was sure too! But they are not there! :/

Just to make sure I'm not going insane, I started a game from the original CM93 floppies - everything as expected (eg no Robbie Fowler). Then started a game with the 93/94 update applied - we get the CM Italia splash screen and Fowler at Liverpool (still no Collis, of course).

Then I applied the magic "end of season 94" update and we get Babb at Liverpool, Scholes at Man Utd and the new splash screen with Collis and Orosco credited.... but no sign of them in the Cambridge squad.

I feel like I'm in the twilight zone!

Here's the proof:

IMG_4321.jpg

IMG_4328.jpg

IMG_4339.jpg

Wow, that brings back memories the old Amiga shot. Awesome stuff.

Now its definitely that version, but a quick google is suggesting that its the 'cracked' copy which has these players. Now im sure I had the legit version, came in a white cardboard box and originally it would never ever pass the end of season update... if you remember that long processing part which came after the foreign transfers etc

Im at a loss tbh.

Terribly outdated now, but the original game did grab hold of you. As an example I remain, to this day, genuinely disappointed that my save game corrupted just as my young regen striker was about ready to take on the Premier League. I shouldn't remember Andrew O'Riordan's name after 20 years - he only played 5 games but was going to be a star.

Wow, that brings back memories the old Amiga shot. Awesome stuff.

Now its definitely that version, but a quick google is suggesting that its the 'cracked' copy which has these players. Now im sure I had the legit version, came in a white cardboard box and originally it would never ever pass the end of season update... if you remember that long processing part which came after the foreign transfers etc

Im at a loss tbh.

That is interesting. I'm almost certain I had the store bought update too. Though the memory can play tricks I suppose.

What a strange feature to pop up in a cracked version. Does this suggest an inside job in assisting the crackers? Or perhaps a crafty way to spot who was using a cracked version?

The "genuine" disk was hard enough to track down on ebay... what's my chances of finding the cracked version!? I wanna buy Mark Collis again!!! :p

Terribly outdated now, but the original game did grab hold of you. As an example I remain, to this day, genuinely disappointed that my save game corrupted just as my young regen striker was about ready to take on the Premier League. I shouldn't remember Andrew O'Riordan's name after 20 years - he only played 5 games but was going to be a star.

Agreed, though they've gone too far in the other direction now imo. I played every version religiously from 93 to 2015 (I might have skipped one or two) but I wont be playing 2016. The game just feels like it's lost its soul.

So many minute factors affect so many different things that it's almost impossible to track specific decisions you made to specific outcomes on the field. It has become an utterly superficial experience for me now: it's just cool to see my team with the players I want, lined up in my formation... but I don't feel my decisions really make much of a difference tbh. Just not satisfying.

Fast wingers who can cross and a tall battering ram up front doesn't seem to increase my chances of scoring headers from wingplay - you have to get a gazillion other tweaks right too. It's just not fun any more!

I've not been playing as long as you but I've played since CM2 and I especially loved CM01-02...I counted up that I'd played 260 seasons long before I finished with CM01-02. But when FM10 was out I went back to try it again and I can't say I enjoyed it...I'm continually frustrated by some of the things in the current game and I have many many critisisms but it has been improved over the years and overall it's much better than it used to be...in particular I like that complexity of the various tactical choices and I can't enjoy any version where you don't speak to the players

CM93 was great at the time, and yes, if you want simple NOW, you'd play that.

That the match engine was so basic meant that you could essentially play the same tactic for every league/team and be successful. In my view, that's not very good :)

In FM12 I won the Champions League with Chester in 8 seasons...using 4-4-2 every game!

Waylander dragged back a 3 year old from the dim and distant past after 2 years and 9 months and then technokryptik drags it back after a further 3 years.

How do you even find threads like this?

I know Svenc probably has it bookmarked somehow, (he has every thread EVER, bookmarked and categorized I think), but how else do you find it? :lol:

Must dash, need to diarise for 37 months to regurgitate this thread again.

"The Championship Manager '94 - End of Season Data Disk, which was available on the Amiga, contained 2 fictional players added by a couple of people who worked on the game. The players were Mark Collis and Ferah Orosco. They were a striker and a defender, respectively, for Cambridge United in Division 3 and are regarded as the first ever fictional super-players in the CM series."

I didn't know this, never played it on Amiga :)

93 was real players too i thought. there was a game before which wasn't. because i'm sure Sol Campbell was a striker on it as it was his first season.

sol campbell did play as a striker at the start of his career im 99.999999% certain

Waylander dragged back a 3 year old from the dim and distant past after 2 years and 9 months and then technokryptik drags it back after a further 3 years.

How do you even find threads like this?

I know Svenc probably has it bookmarked somehow, (he has every thread EVER, bookmarked and categorized I think), but how else do you find it? :lol:

Must dash, need to diarise for 37 months to regurgitate this thread again.

I found it searching for "Championship Manager 93 Mark Collis" :D

The feeling of getting these games back in the 90s is something that will never come back

I remember the moment like it was yesterday. I was in Virgin Megastore and, as a kid of course, could only afford one game. I went back and forth between Championship Managaer and Premier Manager for about 3 or 4 hours... finally went with Championship Manager for some reason - man how different life could have been! :)

Premier Manager wasnt a bad game tbh, it held its own in the early versions as it had a full league system including Conference. The problem was you would end up quite quickly with a team of 99s (i say quickly, i mean once you get into the top flight and get going). Plus you always had Wycombe in the Conference who were the team to start with as they 99% of the time would waltz the division.

However once CM took hold, I dont think any other game came close for me... great memories and if in that documentary that bloke had lost 2 years of his life playing the game, id easily double that :o

Premier Manager wasnt a bad game tbh, it held its own in the early versions as it had a full league system including Conference. The problem was you would end up quite quickly with a team of 99s (i say quickly, i mean once you get into the top flight and get going). Plus you always had Wycombe in the Conference who were the team to start with as they 99% of the time would waltz the division.

However once CM took hold, I dont think any other game came close for me... great memories and if in that documentary that bloke had lost 2 years of his life playing the game, id easily double that :o

Yeah I don't mean to take a dig at Premier Manager, I never played it!

The only other one I really ever played was Ultimate Soccer Manager, two words: Stadium Builder.

THAT would be the killer feature to bring me back to Football Manager 2017. Just imagine what they could do with that today!

I remember the moment like it was yesterday. I was in Virgin Megastore and, as a kid of course, could only afford one game. I went back and forth between Championship Managaer and Premier Manager for about 3 or 4 hours... finally went with Championship Manager for some reason - man how different life could have been! :)

Exactly the same for me! I studied both boxes for ages then clearly remember plumping for CM mostly because of the alcoholic manager pictured on the front wagging his finger at me.

First season, bought Ray Wilkins and Les Ferdinand. Finished 4th. Loved it.

Exactly the same for me! I studied both boxes for ages then clearly remember plumping for CM mostly because of the alcoholic manager pictured on the front wagging his finger at me.

First season, bought Ray Wilkins and Les Ferdinand. Finished 4th. Loved it.

Used to do all night sleepovers with a buddy of mine and play straight through to the morning. Both of us were Liverpool fans - he lost the toss and picked Man City. I sacrificed Jamie Redknapp to him in exchange for being able to sign Collis (he also got Orosco as part of the deal).

Oh the memories! :)

Anyone remember Ultimate Soccer Manager? You could offer bribes to opposition managers!

Southend United would inevitably become an unstoppable force in English football, regardless of who you went as. Season 1 would win Division 1, and within two seasons would be Premiership champions. One of my defining memories of USM 2 96-97.

I don't miss that extreme simplicity. Only CA mattered, A player could have 20 in every skill but the code didn't use it at all.

You could have a player with 20 in every ability but a CA/PA of 50, he would be terrible. And you could have a player with 1 in every skill, but 200 in CA/PA and he would be awesome.

From 94 end of season they added another stat that mattered and that was a hidden stat called goalscoring.

Ah, CM 94 on the Amiga for me! blissful memories....

and the classic Diablo-eque killer tactic! :D

how did it go now.....

ST - ST - ST -

- AMC -

- MC - MC - MC

- DMC -

- DC - DC -

- GK -

..I think that's right. :D

I used 3-3-1-3 all central as CM 93/94 Diablo, on the first Amiga version 1.10, 2-4-4 long ball was the killer tactics.

Archived