Championship Manager '93

I used 3-3-1-3 all central as CM 93/94 Diablo, on the first Amiga version 1.10, 2-4-4 long ball was the killer tactics.

4-3-3 with 3 center midfielders and 3 center attackers, with the fullbacks pushing forward and "direct ball" was guaranteed to dominate domestically almost immediately. Took a few years to get going in the European cup though!

I could never get a formation to work with wingers, disappointed to have to stick Barnes and McManaman straight on the transfer list!

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah the nostalgia.

Pretty reliable game, though I remember always keeping my fingers crossed in between season loads as that was when most crashes and "game won't work" issues would occur.

Who else figured out the insure a player before he retires cheat? That used to get you some nice finances for the season after.

My first impressions upon playing the game were not positive though and that was mainly due to me not having a clue what I was doing. Dropped it for two weeks and played PacMan IIRC and then one bored Sunday I went back to it and boom - never stopped playing since.

Ah the nostalgia.

Pretty reliable game, though I remember always keeping my fingers crossed in between season loads as that was when most crashes and "game won't work" issues would occur.

Who else figured out the insure a player before he retires cheat? That used to get you some nice finances for the season after.

My first impressions upon playing the game were not positive though and that was mainly due to me not having a clue what I was doing. Dropped it for two weeks and played PacMan IIRC and then one bored Sunday I went back to it and boom - never stopped playing since.

:)

Or repeatedly fining a player to get him to move because you needed the space in your squad.

Anyone remember Ultimate Soccer Manager? You could offer bribes to opposition managers!

Haha! I remember this and was telling a mate about it the other day, he didn't believe me when I said you could offer bribes and bet on the games, even your own team to lose. If you got caught doing it, you'd be sacked or warned after a police tip off if I remember correctly. First game that brought Timo Hildebrand to my attention as 'one for the future' and this guy https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Davy_O%27Hare Davy O'Hare who was a top notch keeper in the game for some reason.

The players you seek are not in the abandonware files for PC. Maybe check the amiga ones with an emulator?

http://www.myabandonware.com/game/championship-manager-end-of-1994-season-data-up-date-disk-2zb#download

Edit: Oh, and I don't think the games were ever cracked. You either had a list with the results or you just guessed it a bunch of times.

The players you seek are not in the abandonware files for PC. Maybe check the amiga ones with an emulator?

http://www.myabandonware.com/game/championship-manager-end-of-1994-season-data-up-date-disk-2zb#download

Edit: Oh, and I don't think the games were ever cracked. You either had a list with the results or you just guessed it a bunch of times.

The issues is, people are saying that only the cracked update disk includes the phantom players (I guess "pirated" is a better word, since as you righlty pointed out it wasn't really cracked). I have all of the original disks released on the amiga, and a working amiga 600 :p I can confirm that the players do not appear in any official version of the game or updates.

Unfortunately (last time I checked) it is not possible to apply the amiga updates on an emulator, since the process forces you to set the floppy to write protected at some point, and wont continue until you do. The emulators (as of last time I checked) do not have this functionality, all disks appear as "write enabled."

P.S. For info, the players were in the "End of Season 94" data update disk for the Amiga. Easy to confuse with "Season 93/94 Update." However, they are not in the official version of the "End of Season 94" disk so I can only assume that the folks are correct in saying they were in the "cracked version." The search continues...

I've dug out an old backup of CM97-98 (ahh, the days of zero copy protection as a way of self-promotion) and boy oh boy...

Surely nostalgia is a powerful tool, because the game feels dated as hell... Sure, all the good memories of the afternoons spent on old CMs come back and one can't help but smile a bit when going through the squads to find out forgotten stars, unlikely world-beaters or then-unknowns who made it IRL more than in the game.

However the harsh reality sets in as soon as you "play" a match... 3 styles, a decent amount of tactical choices but ZERO feedback, besides 4-10 ratings... Why is my striker not scoring? Why are we losing 2-0 to a relegation candidate? How come we're creating zero chances despite a solid midfield?

Back then it was just how the game worked, but after many years of (perfectible) 3D ME and a decade of 2D, it's really hard to get a feeling of immersion into such a spartan matchday.

For good old times' sake, I'm trying to play a season or two, but I'm struggling badly.

For all the flaws current FMs have, and no matter how whiny or picky we can be (and I definitely am on the more critical side), the game has changed so much you can't possibly go back, not even for a quick, nostalgia-fueled trip down memory lane.

This is my first time playing FM in 15 years when it was called CM. I played it all the way though high school up until I was 16/17. This game is beating me at minute.... The old games were so basic! Used to sign Darren Eadie, Neil lennon and Igor Pamic and win the prem with any team!

I want to love the modern games I really do. I'll gladly spend hours per match (yes, really) analyzing the opponent, taking care to set up my team in meticulous detail and actually watching the full match in 3D. I have a "vision" of how I want to play and I'd rather see that played out in the match engine and lose, than win. It just never seems to come off.

I've tried the possession, passing style. The long ball with a battering ram striker. The counter attack with pace. I just don't see it playing out that way in the match engine.

Now, I'm not an idiot and I've played semi-pro football. So I don't need some Football Manager genius telling me on the forum, "oh you're so stupid, there's this little setting buried away among the ten million other settings, and if you don't set this just right for your winger, he'll be ***** and wont play anything like a winger." That is just not a good game to me.

The thing has got SO complicated now, that there is just no satisfying link between cause and effect (the heart of a strategy game imo). Oh, I see my winger keeps cutting inside, passing back and refusing to take players on. That should be straightforward to fix with the instructions to hug the touchline and take players on. But no, alas, he still does the same things because his morale isn't as it should be, he doesn't like his training, or his best mate at the club doesn't like me. Maybe there was a press conference I missed where this player was exposed as having a learning disability? ****ed if I know.

Just my personal preference and experience of course and, don't get me wrong, I still think it's pretty marvelous what the team has done with the game. But for me, it's just not fun anymore.

I don't mind complexity in itself, I'd just like to see a clear line between problem -> solution, cause and effect.

I agree with you on that, and it's been one of my main criticisms to current FM iterations...

However, it was even less clear in old games when you didn't even have a visual representation of what was going on on the pitch... It was all up to your imagination, but there ws no way to know if your 6"6 striker had scored 20 headers or 20 Messi-like runs.

Currently there are indeed way too many factors that affect the match, so even apparently straightforward instructions aren't carried on the way you'd think.

Why not implementing, together with the preset formations, also a set of preset instructions to complement said tactics and that will "work" in a more basic and direct way? It shouldn't take hours of tinkering with team and players instructions to get a basic 4-5-1 or 4-4-2 work.

Yeah absolutely - I didn't mean to suggest that the old games were better in this respect.

I really want to believe that the emperor does indeed have his robe on, and it's just a matter of too many factors contributing to how the players behave. Though the cynical side of me suspects the game engine is just completely broken underneath. Or, at least, not directly affected by your decisions in the way we might assume. It has, after all, evolved from a glorified database... perhaps it is still the numbers which effect the outcome more than the physical interactions on the pitch.

• 4 weeks later...
The issues is, people are saying that only the cracked update disk includes the phantom players (I guess "pirated" is a better word, since as you righlty pointed out it wasn't really cracked). I have all of the original disks released on the amiga, and a working amiga 600 :p I can confirm that the players do not appear in any official version of the game or updates.

Unfortunately (last time I checked) it is not possible to apply the amiga updates on an emulator, since the process forces you to set the floppy to write protected at some point, and wont continue until you do. The emulators (as of last time I checked) do not have this functionality, all disks appear as "write enabled."

P.S. For info, the players were in the "End of Season 94" data update disk for the Amiga. Easy to confuse with "Season 93/94 Update." However, they are not in the official version of the "End of Season 94" disk so I can only assume that the folks are correct in saying they were in the "cracked version." The search continues...

It had nothing to do with a cracked version or not. They were only in the Amiga Version. Coz they were the guys porting the game to Amiga. You see their names in the game credits of the Amiga Version ;) So they were only in the Amiga Version of the game :)

It Works like a charm With WinUAE Amiga emulator, you can Write protect disks or unprotect at will. The game is also abondomware and can be legally downloaded from lemonamiga.com

Ferrah Orosco and Mark Collis were their names.

championship-manager-end-of-1994-season-data-up-date-disk_1.png

• 3 weeks later...
It had nothing to do with a cracked version or not. They were only in the Amiga Version. Coz they were the guys porting the game to Amiga. You see their names in the game credits of the Amiga Version ;) So they were only in the Amiga Version of the game :)

It Works like a charm With WinUAE Amiga emulator, you can Write protect disks or unprotect at will. The game is also abondomware and can be legally downloaded from lemonamiga.com

Ferrah Orosco and Mark Collis were their names.

championship-manager-end-of-1994-season-data-up-date-disk_1.png

I have the original Amiga version with their names on the splash screen. They are NOT in the game. Perhaps the WinUAE rom was created from a pirated disk?

I must have tried it on FS UAE - there was definitely no facility to write protect disks at the time. Non windows user here :p

good old days. it was when all my dedication began :) i even put that into my professional cv after 20 years in 2012, couldn't get benefit of it so far though :))

the game got bigger and much more complicated in years, but i can still feel the flavour of it. i take it this way; the game grew in parallel with the growth of its industry..

Archived