Official Football Manager 2015 Feedback Thread 15.1.3

Hi guys

First, thanks to SI for the release. I never had the opportunity to play the game pre-patch, but I'm really enjoying it now. Am I enjoying it because I'm having great on-field success? No.

I'm not having success/problems with crosses resulting in goals. I am actually conceding a fairly low amount, but I can't seem to score goals! I'm playing with Liverpool for my getting-to-know-this-years-edition save and Sturridge has now gone something like 15 games with to goals to his name (playing as advanced forward). I deployed a narrow diamond 4-4-2, fullbacks overlapping, with Balotelli as the deep-lying forward on support duty, he's scored a few long shots but I'm still yet to see a through ball resulting in a goal. Not blaming the ME, I'm blaming my own tactics. I did find FM14 quite easy, and enjoyed great success on every save, the last one with West Ham finishing 3rd first season, which is quite unrealistic. I think it's great that the game is harder this year. Way more pleasing to watch the games with the new 3D improvements, I might add.

I've not changed to a 4-2-3-1, but the advanced forward still can't seem to score. I see strikers for other teams score, and since the ME works the same way for the AI as the human user, I'm obviously missing out.

Some suggestions on striker pairings and lone strikers would be great. When you get Carroll scoring 20 goals a season for West Ham (FM14) and Sturridge looking like a Sunday League player in the new version I must be doing something wrong =)

There is a "pairs and combinations" thread in the tactics forum that will help.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can't seem to find the post but I read earlier in this thread(at least I think it was this thread)about someone saying to use zonal defend the 6 yards box for corners.

I was conceding quite a few goals from corners and after reading that I thought I would give it a go when next I played.

Anyway I set my 2 defending midfielders and my 2 attacking midfielders to zonal defend the 6 yard box and what a difference it has made, played a few games now and none of those near post headers going in so far and the box actually looks a lot more secure, never used zonal in the past but certainly working at the moment.

Wish I could find the actual post that mentioned it but thanks and people struggling with goals from corners should give it a go!

I think that was me :)

I only came across it because i wanted to see where that positioned a player on the screen and it seemed to work really well at stopping those near post corners.

I can't seem to find the post but I read earlier in this thread(at least I think it was this thread)about someone saying to use zonal defend the 6 yards box for corners.

I was conceding quite a few goals from corners and after reading that I thought I would give it a go when next I played.

Anyway I set my 2 defending midfielders and my 2 attacking midfielders to zonal defend the 6 yard box and what a difference it has made, played a few games now and none of those near post headers going in so far and the box actually looks a lot more secure, never used zonal in the past but certainly working at the moment.

Wish I could find the actual post that mentioned it but thanks and people struggling with goals from corners should give it a go!

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/405217-Official-Football-Manager-2015-Feedback-Thread-15.1.3?p=9976157&viewfull=1#post9976157

Bit of analysis from my last ten games (I know, it's not a massive sample size). I'm Berwick Rangers and I'm in the Scottish League One after promotion last season.

Goals conceded - 23

From cross (Direct/Indirect) - 5/0

From corner (Direct/Indirect) - 4/1

From free-kick (Direct/Indirect) - 5/2

From long-throw (Direct/Indirect) - 0/1

Other - 5

I've tried man marking. I've tried zonal marking. Nothing seems to work. I know my players aren't world class but they're above average for the division. The match engine is so frustrating I'm considering switching to just commentary. But then I may as well just go back to CM2!

I'm using 2 players zonally marking the box and its definitely improved defending from corners.

I'm really enjoying FM15. And whilst I don't want to discount other people's game experiences I can't say I'm suffering from many of the supposed problems others are reporting.

Initial Beta - Loved the interface, aside from the tactics screen but the scorelines were painfully high.

Beta patch - Brought the goals down for me. Didn't seem to be too many of any one type either. Lots of variation and ME looked good. Scores were still a little high but they were managable.

Initial Release - Only played about 6 games because of the timings but loved it. Scores looked fine and I was getting clean sheets.

Hotfix - Perfect.

In my current save I've played 3 seasons (2 Beta patch seasons, 1 Hotfix Season). I play LLM, in Norway, and I've just won the title and for the first time in any of my FM games gone unbeaten. Had an average of 2.2 goals a game scored and 1.1 conceded. I've scored no more than 4 in a match, and I've conceded no more than 3. So no crazy score lines and I like I've said before I've seen a good range of goals. Crossing seems fine too and if anything I would have thought at LLM level it would be more OP'd than at any other level if it was going to be.

Injuries are fine too for me. No more than 5 out at a time. Most of them short term and I've had only 1 match where I've been forced to make all my subs due to injuries (and even then they could have played on, I just didn't want to risk it). I've got one player who I pushed too far too soon and has spent about a season and a half on he bench but he's quite injury prone. A Norwegian lower league sicknote.

I have no fitness coach, my physio's relevant attributes are all about 5 which suggest he may have bought his degree online, but my team is fit. It doesn't take much to manage it. If you have a sensible pre-season, rotate a little bit and make sure fringe players and still getting some match time then there's no reason you should be getting huge amounts of injuries. The only ones you should get are knocks, bumps and breaks from match play.

Currently my only issue with the game is that saving takes some time now.

I'm very happy with the game, haven't noticed any issues with crosses or anything.

One thing that I have noticed though is that after every replay, my minimised widgets become maximised. I haven't noticed any posts about it but I've only had a cursory glance.

Yeah this is really annoying! I'd love a quickfix for this one :)

Wow, i cant recall so much generally positive feedback for any FM in recent years. At least one week after release there is usually WAY more criticism here.:-) Of course there will alway be some people who are saying that this is the worst game ever, but the majority seems happy. I am also quite satisfied with the game. Way better than FM14. Of course there are some flaws (for example bad goalkeepers or that i dont see enough difference in the me between a player with speed 10 and one with speed 18). But overall i think FM was never in such good shape at this time after release. Really shocked how positive the feedback is when you compare it with some shitstorm in the past.:-)

Bit of analysis from my last ten games (I know, it's not a massive sample size). I'm Berwick Rangers and I'm in the Scottish League One after promotion last season.

Goals conceded - 23

From cross (Direct/Indirect) - 5/0

From corner (Direct/Indirect) - 4/1

From free-kick (Direct/Indirect) - 5/2

From long-throw (Direct/Indirect) - 0/1

Other - 5

I've tried man marking. I've tried zonal marking. Nothing seems to work. I know my players aren't world class but they're above average for the division. The match engine is so frustrating I'm considering switching to just commentary. But then I may as well just go back to CM2!

I watch football at that level every week in real life, and a large amount of the goals scored eminate from out wide or free kicks pumped into the box. Well, that and long balls, but I'm guessing you don't use a long ball tactic.

You don't get many midfield playmakers in the seaside leagues in Scotland, that's for sure.

good evening from Greece...at FM 15 with update 15.1.3 save game bar need more time and stucked about 2 minutes after the middle....why happened that...first time i saw something like that..

This is a know issue which is under review. Otherwise, i'll be corrected.

Hope you enjoy FM15 as much as i do.

Agree with this, i have a 17 year old who yes, does start most games but just because he starts games doesn't mean he can't be tutored by a more senior experienced player.. The option to tutor should be there regardless of their role

Well fair enough if they are on a Key Player or First Team role but anything other than that tutoring should be an option. Anyway I always give young promising players Hot Prospect (Rotation at the highest) specifically for this reason.

Also look at say Paul Pogba, arguably a key player for a top team in Juventus yet I am sure he is learning secrets off the eternal architect Andrea Pirlo and maybe some pointers of Vidal as well.

I'll post it again: I've heard that games started in the beta mean that I can never get my coaching badges as it always gets stuck, and I would have to re-apply to begin the course again - leading to a vicious cycle in which I never earn my National A License. Is this true, or some awful rumour?

Well I have logged this as a bug and checking today one of the SI team got back to me saying they managed to replicate the bug in my saved game and that it has been logged and is under review. I presume then hopfully some sort of fix will be applied and hopefully in the next patch all will be well. It's embarrasing all my staff (some who had no badges at all) have been taking courses and have all overtaken me in coaching qualifications.

• Administrators
Finding this years game a little easy.. Currently top of the league in the danish super league with Silkeborg (predicted to go down in first season), in my second season, and i have 6 U21 players in my starting 11.. it seems like a solid tactic but it feels a bit easy

What tactics are you using?

Well fair enough if they are on a Key Player or First Team role but anything other than that tutoring should be an option. Anyway I always give young promising players Hot Prospect (Rotation at the highest) specifically for this reason.

Also look at say Paul Pogba, arguably a key player for a top team in Juventus yet I am sure he is learning secrets off the eternal architect Andrea Pirlo and maybe some pointers of Vidal as well.

exactly even the best young players still learn so my 17 year old should surely be able to be tutored

I must be being a bit dim but i cant get my tactics organised properly on match days.

I simply want to flip between my home & away tactics during games.

Here they are pre match.......

m2fetJ5.jpg

Yet in game my home tactic is nowhere to be seen??

jL0KPvn.jpg

Not even an option to go into archived tactics, its like it doesn't exist?

From looking at the first screenshot you only have one tactical set-up for the players to learn.

You need to add a second tactics so you have both Icarus tactics at the top. this way you can switch between them in the game.

Like this

http://oyster.ignimgs.com/wordpress/stg.ign.com/2014/11/FM15_TACTICS_SCREEN_1412781265.png

Thats what I figured/hoped. I really just wanted to make sure it wasn't hard-coded or required a new game to take effect. That is, of course, if it exists in the first place.

Can you see my confusion here?! :D

Just to say I have reported this as a bug about a week or so ago. Anyway SI team seem to have replicated the bug in the save-game I sent them as I got a message today that this is under review :)

Hopefully this will be fixed in the next patch?

Are the quality of direct free kicks completely random or is the free kick rating actually taken into account? I only ask because I'm managing Berwick in Scotland's League One and have Lee Currie with 18 free kick rating. In two years he's hit the target no more than six or seven times and the closest he came to scoring was hitting the bar despite the fact he's getting a decent chance from 20-25 yards every game. Despite that, I'm conceding a goal about every five games from a direct free kick. Due to my crap scouts I can't see their free kick rating but in Scotland's third tier I bet it's nowhere near 18.

Corners and free kicks are still annoyingly effective. It's more frustrating that the goals look so unrealistic. I don't mind too much when a defender out jumps his marker to score from a corner. But a free volley inside the six yard box from a corner? That doesn't happen. Too many ping pong goals go in from dead balls too. And don't get me started on free kicks from out wide where the defence just don't drop back or follow their men. Overall I'm enjoying the game but certain parts of the match engine are testing my patience.

I think there has to be an issue with the direct free-kicks. Steven Gerrard has easily taken over 70 freekicks for me and hasn't tested the keeper a single time. Goes over the goal every. Single. Time. I dread gettng freekicks right outside the box now because I know it'll just go to waste.

Would be at all possible to have the old functionality of forced continue timeouts re-instated for network games?

Specifically, start the timer when a percentage of players have clicked continue. This is much better than the enforced timer which just starts counting down.

This functionality allows for the time to be much more dynamic, and allows for setting the timer much lower, but only when most players have continued.

If the network continuation is fixed (See my other post regarding each Continue only rolling on for one hour in network game) then this would make things much smoother.

Pretty much exactly the same as mine, and I fine it incredibly easy as well. My full backs assist for fun and 80% of the goals come directly or indirectly(rebounds) from crosses.

Attacking full backs and tactics that exploit the flank is an exploit currently.

Pretty much exactly the same as mine, and I fine it incredibly easy as well. My full backs assist for fun and 80% of the goals come directly or indirectly(rebounds) from crosses.

Attacking full backs and tactics that exploit the flank is an exploit currently.

yep full backs assisting for fun, normally have savitskiy on the left who is just a god but he's injured atm, in my first 2 qualifiers for Europa League i won 11-0 and 10-1, Savitskiy scoring 9 overall.. The majority of my normal starting 11 are 16-21 it just seems so overpowered

yep full backs assisting for fun, normally have savitskiy on the left who is just a god but he's injured atm, in my first 2 qualifiers for Europa League i won 11-0 and 10-1, Savitskiy scoring 9 overall.. The majority of my normal starting 11 are 16-21 it just seems so overpowered

Am I the only one that Savitskiy plays poorly for?

My general opinion of the macth engine so far:

When it comes to the ai and match engine, I am satisfied. Some point out that exploiting the flank is an issue, but I do not really agree about that. Firstly you need certain players to be able to do that. It doesnt only take speed/pace into consideration, and those players needed are of such a quality that teams using that tactic would most likely be of that stature in real life too. I also like the fact your players respond reasonably well to the tactics you work on, even though you need to mould the tactic and players available into the setup before it works. I am also happy slow players fit well into the match-engine for the first time in many years. Having a large man up front, is now actually a viable option.

I like how diffenent aspects of the field can now be fully exploited to gain whatever advantages you want for your side, from clsing in/locking out their playmakers, to exploiting their weak sides. Or, if you have a truly talented side in ANY aspect, using that talent AND expect the opposition to be able to counter it in due time, meaning you will have to prepare for each game, and might have to consider your players weka and strong abilities before picking the side (not only based on their complete summed up skills).

Defending, is also afaik quite realistic, where slow and less agile defenders need to be given more space to react to the opponents players. You can also help out those by giving them cover up, which is good. If you place a slow big centre back in a one vs one against a pacey forward with lots of space, you can expect nasty things to happen, and they will come. I am all ok with that.

Midfielders respond corresponding to their mental skills. If you experience midfielders to dwindle on the ball too much, you have to either give them more time to adapt to your tactic, or give them other roles. Some midfield terriers can never become ball passing geniouses, due to their mental limitations.

Wingers and their roles, also seems good. If given too much work, they play bad, and dont expect many of them to do their defensive duties very well. Cover up is a good idea in all aspects of the game, to avoid being countered to catastrophy.

Versatility is also fine. Altough some players arent moulded to do various roles, they can still perform in unusual roles if theyre talented enough. Sidebacks can play central defenders and do reasonably well if needed. Even midfielders can play defence well, or defenders can play midfield or attack well, if theyre given the right commands and generally are good players.

First of all you only have one tactic set up. Are you purposefully saving the two other slots for something else? If not, you need to click on Create Tactic, set it to any formation, then go into Manage tactics, import your saved tactic and then it will appear on the drop down menu. If you saved it as one of your three tactics you will be able to select it in a match.

Archived tactics and everything in your tactic folder does not show up by default for some reason, you need to manually import it in Manage Tactics.

Sussed it out, thanks for the reply :thup:

From looking at the first screenshot you only have one tactical set-up for the players to learn.

You need to add a second tactics so you have both Icarus tactics at the top. this way you can switch between them in the game.

Like this

http://oyster.ignimgs.com/wordpress/stg.ign.com/2014/11/FM15_TACTICS_SCREEN_1412781265.png

Also thank you. I was being dim as i suspected.:lol:

I just downloaded the demo and played 1 match.

Good thing is, compared to the previous versions of FM, this out of the box (almost) version is the most complete product, relatively. It is actually playable, whereas in the previous versions one always had to wait until Christmas to have a decent game :thup:

Bad thing is, some of the issues that I saw with the ME are the ones that we have had for years now, and still not being addressed. The match ratings for example. I find it quite unbelievable that after seeing hundreds of posts here over the years complaining about how bad it is that a player's rating skyrockets as soon as he scores a goal, and otherwise how stagnant the ratings are, not reflecting individual performances (especially GK's), the issue is still being ignored by SI :thdn:

In that one game I played, my starting AMC played very good actually, completing majority of his passes (>80%), helping both midfield and attack, but his rating was pretty stagnant for 60min. Then I replaced him with this young backup AMC, who in the remaining 30 minutes misplaced 50% of his passes, which killed the link between midfield and attack, and his rating only very slowly decreased to 6.5 (I would rate his performance at around 5.0 myself at that point), then he scored a goal and all of a sudden he finished the game with 8.2!!!

No I am not going to send a pkm becuase I have wasted countless hours on doing that the last 5? years, and it is not being looked at, sorry. And you don't need a pkm to be honest, the issue is there, and known. Somebody just needs to spend a little time to significantly change the rating algorithm, not just tweaking.

Hm, I had a fantastic season with Celtic and clinched the league title early March. While browsing through the news, board decided to inform me of initial budgets for coming season.. All good, but it's 2nd of March, and there are still 3 games to go this season.

Don't know where he was when the ball was played. Screenshots are not much use for offside decisions. pkm much more useful. Besides bad refereeing decisions are one of the features of the game. It happens IRL it happens in FM.

Hey, Edgar.

Please look at the first image :-)

Does anyone know how long it takes for a league to become active when you add it to an existing game. I've added the German league and 2 weeks have passed in game and it still says pending

Assuming its working as earlier game it will be active at the start of next season.

I noticed today a few of my under 18s unhappy with the standard of the fitness coaching, despite having 4.5 and 5 stars for aerobic and strength, both of average workload.

Now, at the start of the season I sacked all my coaches and only replaced them with first team coaches (the max permitted by the board). Is the fact I have no under 18s coaches an issue?

Archived