Official Football Manager 2015 Pre Release Beta Feedback Thread - Update 15.0.3

Have only just finished downloading, and have just had a quick look, but first impressions are decent. I actually quite like the UI, plus the scouting changes look rather interesting.

Just a quick FYI for anyone who has Nvidia Optimus on their laptop (this is on the FAQ but thought I'd repeat it) - make sure you force your Nvidia card in the Nvidia settings first otherwise you'll get a BSOD. FM15 worked fine after I restarted and did this.

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alright, I'm stumped. I'm trying to set filters, but I can't get my final few columns to show. The last column on the right just takes up a ton of space, but can't figure out how to shrink it so the rest can show. I've used the auto size function but this just adds space to the other already visible columns. When I mouse over the top bar to try and get the <--> cursor in order to shrink manually, it won't appear on the right side of the column, only the left.

Any help is appreciated.

No, but i'm willing to post my concerns here. I only just saw how active you are in this thread right now, which i appreciate.

http://puu.sh/cnYyJ/8196564ee9.jpg

Here we have FM14, on the right side i can access everything i need to create and manage my tactics. I have direct visual feedback and can change things with a few clicks and imagine easily how it will play out. All the other options are on the right side too so that i can switch around fast and without making long ways with my mouse (it sounds ridiculous but that has a huge impact on feeling comfortable with an UI). On the left side i can look at player information and look at my squad structure, can see who is fit or needs match fitness or is injured to organize my substitutes. This was great UI design if you ask me and maybe SI didn't know how functional there tactical screen already was.

http://puu.sh/cnYLU/f2867eb38c.jpg

Here is the new UI. The first thing that we see, and the most annoying thing is that almost all functionality has been stripped from the tactical visualization. I can still click on it and change things but as all directly visible information has been passed to the right side it's tiresome and inefficient, so the right screen is basically useless. But the shift to the left side has taken away all the space to display information, just look how much space every player takes up, i can fit much less players on the screen without scrolling than in FM14

http://puu.sh/cnZcv/515964920d.jpg

Here's a side-to-side comparison. On the right side we have efficient use of space: Roles, duties, team instructions, mentality, substitutes etc+ Visualization (!). On the left side we have bloated space, weird icons (those circle icons are really bad, i have to look very close to see the difference between almost full and full) and there is no way to see the stats + the stats that the role requires.

This might seem small and i know that i will adapt to it but it's an unneccessary step back, i hope i could explain what bothers me about it.

i totally agree on that.

Only been playing a few friendlies so far and I'm rather pleased with what I have seen. One thing that struck me a bit odd is that after a recommendation from one of my staff I put a player to tutor another player and the next day I got the message that player x didn't gain much from it, even if they weren't a match made in heaven I would have expected it to last more than one day.

Another thing that I find a bit annoying is that it is very difficult to get players on trial, even free transfers that are willing to sign for you refuses trials.

No, but i'm willing to post my concerns here. I only just saw how active you are in this thread right now, which i appreciate.

http://puu.sh/cnYyJ/8196564ee9.jpg

Here we have FM14, on the right side i can access everything i need to create and manage my tactics. I have direct visual feedback and can change things with a few clicks and imagine easily how it will play out. All the other options are on the right side too so that i can switch around fast and without making long ways with my mouse (it sounds ridiculous but that has a huge impact on feeling comfortable with an UI). On the left side i can look at player information and look at my squad structure, can see who is fit or needs match fitness or is injured to organize my substitutes. This was great UI design if you ask me and maybe SI didn't know how functional there tactical screen already was.

http://puu.sh/cnYLU/f2867eb38c.jpg

Here is the new UI. The first thing that we see, and the most annoying thing is that almost all functionality has been stripped from the tactical visualization. I can still click on it and change things but as all directly visible information has been passed to the right side it's tiresome and inefficient, so the right screen is basically useless. But the shift to the left side has taken away all the space to display information, just look how much space every player takes up, i can fit much less players on the screen without scrolling than in FM14

http://puu.sh/cnZcv/515964920d.jpg

Here's a side-to-side comparison. On the right side we have efficient use of space: Roles, duties, team instructions, mentality, substitutes etc+ Visualization (!). On the left side we have bloated space, weird icons (those circle icons are really bad, i have to look very close to see the difference between almost full and full) and there is no way to see the stats + the stats that the role requires.

This might seem small and i know that i will adapt to it but it's an unneccessary step back, i hope i could explain what bothers me about it.

Seconded!

Only been playing a few friendlies so far and I'm rather pleased with what I have seen. One thing that struck me a bit odd is that after a recommendation from one of my staff I put a player to tutor another player and the next day I got the message that player x didn't gain much from it, even if they weren't a match made in heaven I would have expected it to last more than one day.

Another thing that I find a bit annoying is that it is very difficult to get players on trial, even free transfers that are willing to sign for you refuses trials.

I've managed to get 2-3 players to come on trial to the Scottish 2nd tier , none have refused yet.

Has anyone noticed that when you sub players now they no longer go gray and fade out ? Not a massive thing just a minor annoyance , it was much easier to spot that the little circle icon they use now.

Finally home and getting into the game. Once I have been able to spend a few hours playing I'll post more feedback.

First thing that jumps out to me, as a Leicester fan and therefore their new manager, 4 of my first teamers (Jamie Vardy, Matty James, Anthony Knockaert & Riyah Mahrez) have 'Short-term Plans' listed as "Wants the team to win a trophy by the end of the season".

Granted it says 'wants', and who doesn't, but is this really a realistic short-term plan for players of a newly promoted club to the Premier League who are joint favorites in the game for the drop?

All good, except the tactics screen. it was great as it was in fm14. i don't understand how you reached the conclusion that this is better. you invested resources into changing something that was perfect. we will all probably get used to it, as you say, but that doesn't make it good

Very happy so far. UI takes a bit getting used to, but there are so many minor improvements that makes this a worthwhile purchase. I love being able to actually preview the formations when you choose your preferred tactic. The ability to set instructions for individual players suggested by your assman for U21 duty is much, much better than last year's everyone or nothing option. The new search bar is also a nice touch, resembling a browser search bar, and it's nice how search hits pop up before you complete the text. Again, big improvement over previous installments where you press enter and wait a few moments before a huge list comes up.

I'm not a fan of how you select players now for your match day squad. Up until now, you could just right click on a player and he'd automatically be selected in the next available spot on the 11 or on the bench. Now it just feels so much slower. Having to click and then go through a drop down menu for every single player is just arduous.

Hey guys, finished a quick season with man city. Finished 6th in the league, but won the champions league. Just done the group stage draw in the second season and there are 6 english teams in the champions league this year?? Is this possible or is it a bug?
If an English team won the Europa league then it would not be a bug, of course this would depend on a few things but given you finished 6th and won the CL it is possible.

If an English team won the Europa league then it would not be a bug, of course this would depend on a few things but given you finished 6th and won the CL it is possible.

Yeah, Everton won the Europa League and finished 8th, I won the Champions League and finished 6th, and the top 4 all qualified.

Just seems weird I have probably played 500-600 seasons on various FM's and this happens on my first season!

Yeah, Everton won the Europa League and finished 8th, I won the Champions League and finished 6th, and the top 4 all qualified.

Just seems weird I have probably played 500-600 seasons on various FM's and this happens on my first season!

I thought when an English team wins the CL but doesn't finish in the top 4 they take the CL spot of the team in 4th place, rather than both qualifying

First day of beta done for me, definitely been the cleanest of the three (?) betas i've played on FM. Only fault i've had is that it seems to take forever to save the game, so I fear for how long it'll take in a few more seasons.

The UI for the first few hours took some getting used to. I'm still not totally in love with it, what in some parts it makes things easier to get to, in others it seems to be even harder to find.

Can't wait to play it again soon and make some real progress.

Okay first impressions:

Pro's:

Match engine and animation look really good to me. I am old school, in that in every other version I have played with the 2D still. I use my imagination to 'see' the players as I didn't feel the 3D was as good as I would like it to be. This version seems, after a few hours of play, much, much better.

New player roles. I have started as Man Utd. Di Maria as a Raumdeuter is just amazing to watch. I have also tried Januzaj and Mata as the 'Roaming playmaker' from a central midfield area, and these seem to work great as well.

Seems, at least for me, to be quite a bit smoother and quicker (loading and processing times).

Cons:

Tactics screen - just why? What I specifically don't like about it is this: If I have a FB ® slot to fill, the options menu will only show me players who can play in that position. Now I understand why it does this (these are the best players there), but what happens if I want to put someone who isn't 'prolific' in that position there? There doesn't seem to be an option for selecting any other player(s). Say I wanted to play Rooney as a FB ® from the tactics menu screen - how do I do it?

UI. I am finding it a little difficult to find where everything is. I am sure this will come with time. But with being so used to the options being at the top of the screen, it is gonna take a little while I think.

Player Interaction. When I say that I mean: PSG were interested in David De Gea. He told me if a bid came in he wanted to go. I told him we could match his ambitions. He got upset. Fine, I can take that. However, the squad then requested a meeting with me to tell me I should let him leave. Is that really going to happen, I mean I don't know, but I wouldn't have thought so? Then probably 80% of my first team get pee'd off with me when I tell them I don't want to sell him, and moral for about 10 players goes from good/very good/superb to Abysmal in one hit.

I am really liking it though, will pick it up tomorrow. Off to bed to try and knock this terrible man-flu out of my system.

Tactics screen - just why? What I specifically don't like about it is this: If I have a FB ® slot to fill, the options menu will only show me players who can play in that position. Now I understand why it does this (these are the best players there), but what happens if I want to put someone who isn't 'prolific' in that position there? There doesn't seem to be an option for selecting any other player(s). Say I wanted to play Rooney as a FB ® from the tactics menu screen - how do I do it?

find him on the player list below the First XI/Subs and drag him into the position you want him to play. You don't have to use the drop down list, you can always drag them from the list

Please add an option to turn off the transparency or to set the background image as a solid colour. I know the picture of grass is there for flavour, but it makes everything needlessly difficult to read.

Okay, the opening matchday animation makes text next to unreadable. Any way to turn it off?

Edit: Good god, who thought it was a good idea to make the in-match screens almost entirely transparent? Humans have to read things! With eyes!

Just started up a Southampton save so haven't got much to say atm but at the first press conference ive been told, "the last couple of seasons have been fairly forgettable ones for southampton." Not sure whether it would be classed as a bug but definitely not fair to say!

They are the press, their modus operandi is to wind you up :)

As the release notes say, there's quite a lot of optimising to be done so a lot of people will suffer slow processing/saving atm.

Thank you for that quick answer!

It was my first impression and it's good to know that it will most likely be better when the full game are released. Thank you! :)

First of all I just want to say wow, one hell of a game you guys put out this year! I'm already having way more fun than I did in all of fm 14, yea i said it.

I actually put together my own tactic that's actually working, it's unbelievable!

Also raumdeuter is OP.

The new training suggests an interesting possibility.

In theory you can now take a 15 year old and train him to play in a position other than the one the game defaults him to.

So if you think his attributes at 15 mean he could become a striker rather than the AMC the game makes him you can try to make it happen very simply.

The new training suggests an interesting possibility.

In theory you can now take a 15 year old and train him to play in a position other than the one the game defaults him to.

So if you think his attributes at 15 mean he could become a striker rather than the AMC the game makes him you can try to make it happen very simply.

I think that's class to be fair

Archived