[official] FM09 features announcement - match engine / 3d view / TV view

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply
http://www.sigames.com/graphics/images/1723.jpg This is the image i was talking about. If you look at the 2D widget, all the players match up. Look at who has the ball, and work around him. They all match. Both representations are reading form the same script.

You're right. SI need to, and are adding loads of animations. That's what miles said in the video. He said 'What you're seeing on the screen now is about 50% complete. We will be adding a lot more animations over the next couple of months'

The general play from the video looked good, and if that is it at 50%...100% will be amazing.

I do like how far behind the play the ref is - that's very realistic.

I like the screen shots, I like the pitch paterns and the roof section casting a shadow, will you have a 3D shot of the stadiums? Also will there be four shaddows for night matches. I cant wait.

PS will training be in 3D?

yes, as asked before, does the appearances of kits means we can make our own kits to be displayed, just like those facepacks and graphics stuffs? but i think its slim chance for that...

but do we get the chance to mod things up, it'll be awesome if it is! (imagine a bakary-sagna-hairstyled player running down the field, classic!)

fantastic and totally unexpected. As me and my mates have gotten older and got families etc we have all drifted away from FM, especially as the biggest gripe was match engine view compared to the instant gratification of fifa etc on xbox/ps2/3 etc. I think they will al be coming back for a look now the match engine has been dragged visually bang up to date technoology-wise.

Fantastic. Roll on November!

pkm files = these are the same size, regardless of 2d or 3d. its the same match engine after all.

effect of 3d on processing times = we don't intend the processing of background matches to be affected. Ultimately the 3d element is a way to look at the same match engine that you are used to in 2d. Sure, some changes are needed in the match engine to make 3d work but that shouldn't be at the expense of processing speed. At the same time, over the years as the match engine has improved ( I hope! ) the processing times have taken a small hit in correlation.....which is inevitable I suppose.

Thanks for the response :thup:

I'm sorry if this been asked before but will you be able to see the following in 3d mode

GAMEPLAY QUESTIONS

Different weather effects during the game

Actual time zone i.e Light turning into dark during matches

Weather effects that actually effect the way you play i.e heavy rainfall means you couldn't play your normal sort passing game etc...

Players getting strecher off

animation of you(The manager) going crazy after your team scoring an important goal.

PRESENTATION QUESTIONS

Will there be a Football TV Show buildup if your game is being screened live on TV

Will they show players lining up for the national anthems in international game

will they show your team lifting the trophy

is there any real commentary during 3d mode

Will they show key moments of the game during half time and after the match.

That's all i can think of right now, sorry for the long post.

I'm sorry if this been asked before but will you be able to see the following in 3d mode

GAMEPLAY QUESTIONS

Different weather effects during the game

Hopefully, but I'm not sure if SI have confirmed this or not

Actual time zone i.e Light turning into dark during matches

Doubt it, not yet, maybe a later edition of FM

Weather effects that actually effect the way you play i.e heavy rainfall means you couldn't play your normal sort passing game etc...

that already happens doesn't it? :confused:

Players getting strecher off

Again maybe a later version

animation of you(The manager) going crazy after your team scoring an important goal.

When I was watching the trailers, I could have swore those widgets were obstructing our view of it but I think I saw managers on the side

PRESENTATION QUESTIONS

Will there be a Football TV Show buildup if your game is being screened live on TV

Probably not. Years down the line i think

Will they show players lining up for the national anthems in international game

That'd be a great feature. Hadn't thought of that

will they show your team lifting the trophy

I hope so. That's something that has been missing from 2d view for too long

is there any real commentary during 3d mode

there is written commentary, no spoken commentary I dont think

Will they show key moments of the game during half time and after the match.

Again, hopefully, that'd be great

That's all i can think of right now, sorry for the long post.

I know I don't represent SI, but that's what I think ;)

I fail to see the arguement where people are saying this is just aesthetic.

There have been numerous occasions where i've seen the ball bounce, a blob move and a goal conceded, at which point i sit there in utter confusion asking "wtf just happened???". If the 3D match engine shows that actually the blob, now a 3D person, mis-timed his header allowing the opposition forward to get a clear chance then at least i can see where the problem lies.

Personally i think its too soon for the 3d match engine, Miles said that they've been developing it for 3 years but it should be at least 5 years development before they should bring it into the game.

How can you tell until you've played it?

Also by having 3D in FM09 means that the 3D in FM10 will be better due to more testing than if SI developed the 3D in house for another year and didn't put it in FM09.

• SI Staff
3D will be rubish.....i tested FMlive and hated the game

You wont have seen 3D in FML.

How can you tell until you've played it?

Also by having 3D in FM09 means that the 3D in FM10 will be better due to more testing than if SI developed the 3D in house for another year and didn't put it in FM09.

Its 1 year for this 3D view - the idea has been looked into for 3 years though. Fair to say that each release it will improve though, and yes the earlier something is in the public domain the quicker you get the feedback you need to improve it best. That doesnt mean we dont have high standards for this first implementation though ;)

It's be cool if one of the camera's you cold choose to view was like a manager view from the sidelines

Probably not as it would mean close ups of players which is not viable for this engine.

• SI Staff
Paul, Do you know anything about the tactic changes? Are they adopting something like FML? I don't mean learning skills, but there was a restriction on forward runs and the placement of players.

Yes tactics options will be the same as in FML. There will inevitably be a discussion about the forward arrows issue but this thread isn't the place for it.

I am seriously excited about the 3D engine and think it is something the game has been missing for a long time, however, my only doubt is:

How long will it be before we have seen all the animations and variety of goals? Because if it starts to get repetitive I can see myself going back to the good old text mode.

Keep up the good work SI.

I am seriously excited about the 3D engine and think it is something the game has been missing for a long time, however, my only doubt is:

How long will it be before we have seen all the animations and variety of goals? Because if it starts to get repetitive I can see myself going back to the good old text mode.

Keep up the good work SI.

Well it's the same match engine as the 2D uses, but a different view.

We'll have to wait and see if animations are repetitive, but the match engine shouldn't be.

Regarding the ME, this is constantly being worked on so FM2009 will be "better" than FML, but will FML have its ME constantly updated during the year? IF so would this mean patches of the most up to date ME being availabel to FM2009 users or will FML just get the updated ME when a new FM game is released?

• SI Staff
Paul are overhead kicks implemented in the 3d engine ?

They have been in the 2d one since CM4, so yes :)

Regarding the ME, this is constantly being worked on so FM2009 will be "better" than FML, but will FML have its ME constantly updated during the year? IF so would this mean patches of the most up to date ME being availabel to FM2009 users or will FML just get the updated ME when a new FM game is released?

We havent made any decision on when FML will move to the FM2009 engine yet, with or without 3d.

Can you tell Wesley Sneijder to stop taking long shots after he blazes his 10th in the first half over the bar, despite you telling him not to take any...?

No, but you can ask him ;)

I lvoe the fact that 3d is coming to Fm as it means some of the really silly things in the ME will have to be sorted because they will jsut look awful in 3d, think the kicks out of play by defenders who could have just stopped the ball and turned around and carried on.

One issue could be ball over the line. A computer sim should always know if it was or wasnt but officials don't so will these be in the ME?

I was so looking forward to 09 because it would allow me to pretend i am a lady, but now i have read on the FIFA Manager page i can have same sex relations on FIFA Man. 09. Finally my most wished for options made it into the games ;-)

FIFA seriously added that "feature"? I'm...speechless. Obviously EA envision their management series to eventually turn in to the sims

Tbh, coming from German football manager games i quite like the financial aspects and off pitch options of Fifa, only problem is too much emphasis is taken on the unimportant things and the managerial aspect as well as the financial one suck. So i really hope FM 09 will be as good as it looks like, as the other products on the market cant get me satisfied. Skipping 08 was already hard.

couple of questions:

1. Will there or can there be an option to install the game without 3D and would this make it quicker so then users without high spec comps could useit? maybe an option for fm10?

2. how fast can you make this 3D view go? as fast as fm08's currently 2D pitch? i would like to use it but i couldnt stand to watch it at say fifa pace for every highlight.

cheers.

• SI Staff
no arrows this time? nice....is this discussion already on?

I'm sure its a matter of time. There was a massive debate about it in the FML beta forums a few months ago actually. I just dont want to use this thread for it.......

I've got a question regarding created players, Im assuming that there will be a data editor as usual, does that mean that it will be possible to indicate the skin/hair colour of a created player so that they appear correctly in 3d.

thanks

P.S sorry if this has been asked before

will the actually 3d view show events like referee giving cards. Will players like to run with the ball actually do that i.e maradonna in 86, will you be able see players score screamers or chip the ball from the halfway lines?

I think how it works is, if it happens in 2D, then it will happen in 3D. So yeah players will score 30 yard screams and we'll see Messi and Ronaldo run past defenders

I just have a question , about the 3d match engine, will we be able to literally use the 3d match engine to scout a certain player like for example that we like the look of their stats , but to see how they really play , what i guess i mean is will the new 3d match engine relatively accurately display what the player does in accordance to his stats the same way as the 2d version does/did.

Let me explain, so for e.g. if there is a player like say Steven g in the current match engine who likes to take long shots , will this be reflected in the 3d engine so for e.g. if i went on a scouting mission to see Gerrard in the 3d match engine i would actually see him, playing according to his stats, energetic , long shots , great passes etc

if this is the case then you guys ROCK!!!!

thx

Martin

will we actually have crowd noise and chants in the 3d game? that would add to the atmosphere

I'd doubt it, because some people play music or just don't turn the sounds on the rest of us have to put up with sounds that are worse than 8-10 years ago. I know it's not the most important part of the game but the sounds should be improved, even if some people don't listen to them. I also think that most of the people that turn them off do it because the sounds are so bland.

or side arrows, or back arrows ;)

It's much better, to be honest. When the idiot manager (e.g. me) isn't sending his players in all directions all over the park, the match engine suddenly plays much more like real football...!

I have to agree there, the change has improved the ME an awful lot.

I'd doubt it, because some people play music or just don't turn the sounds on the rest of us have to put up with sounds that are worse than 8-10 years ago. I know it's not the most important part of the game but the sounds should be improved, even if some people don't listen to them. I also think that most of the people that turn them off do it because the sounds are so bland.

Fm has sound!?!?!???

:D

I know this has already been asked a couple of times, but I really want to get some more info on this;

I'm guessing the teams in the 3d match engine, as in the clips in the youtube video, will be wearing plain football tops e.g. newcastle wear simple black and white stripes, arsenal wear red tops with white sleeves etc.

Will there be the possibility for people to mod the kits, or will the football kits represented come from a series of shirt styles and a colour pallet already implemented in the database, as at the start of FML where wou choose your own teams kit and colours?

Yes! One of my players scored a screamer and I kept watching the replay over and over from different camera angles!

This is one of the things I got exited about, scoring in FIFA/ProEvo is good but you have done it, but seeing a player you have groomed or just bought scoring an absolute blinder will be amazing.

I have a question, goal of the month, will we actally see the amazing goals being selected, i never bothered looking in 2d if they were actually scorchers.

Archived