[official] FM09 features announcement - match engine / 3d view / TV view

I've been a beta tester for FM Live for a while now and thinking about it now the most surprising aspect of it was how little attention i gave the match engine. Which in itself is a huge huge compliment, because it should be something you don't notice, it should just...work, without any discrepencies, odd moments or weird happenings and i haven't noticed any of those in the hundreds of games i've played. So that in itself bodes very well and should put those who were worried at ease. It seems very natural and realistic and i'm sure the 3D engine will enhance that.

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm sure its a matter of time. There was a massive debate about it in the FML beta forums a few months ago actually. I just dont want to use this thread for it.......

can someone open a thread listing the changes made to tactics so we can discuss this then?

because i believe that tactics are one of the most if not the most important part of FM and we have been requested improvements for quite some time now.

I think the 3D looks like a good improvement and will probably reduce the times when I shout at my player to run after the defender, as the 2D engine didn't show whether the player was still lying on the ground after a failed tackle etc.

Ideally, the TV angles would only be available after the game as a part of the analysis. During the game we really ought to be restricted to two fews - from the stands and from the touchline, but I would imagine this is probably impossible.

I accept that it's WIP, but I can't help but think it looks a little stiff (the animation) at the moment, and looks (although this could be the poor quality videos) a little like a DS game.

But then again, why should I be complaining? It's half finished and I've always wanted a 3d engine. I just hope it has the fluidity of animation I've seen in PES.

Also, I forgot to ask, 2 things:

Will the game support simulation better? By that I mean running the game simply to simulate player growth and histories etc. Will there be an option that lets you set the game to a sort of "fast" mode (I mean fast, not like FM 2007's snail-paced fast) that lets you simulate, albeit a tad less realistically, but with enough realism to justify the outcome after several hundred years.

Another thing, will the option be given to dynamically add and remove leagues from the game, so a player can move to any league in the world as manager, and yet these leagues are never simulating properly, just as a sort of backgroundish thing.

I think it will be great and will add even more personality to the game. While I am not expecting huge detail, for example how each player manipulates the ball differently, I imagine it will be much easier to see differences in players and tactics using the 3D view. I hope that if I set someone to 'hard tackling' I will be able to distinguish between that and normal or soft tackling. Will the level of detail in the graphics be enough for that?

I understand that the match engine is the same as for the 2D but sometimes with the 2D it is not easy to completely understand some of the subtelties of the tactics. Also I think it will become much more of an organic experience. I will start to appreciate players more for certain things they do in a match rather than just merely taking into account there ratings and records. If you have a player who scores some classy goals he might be more likely to stay in the team despite not scoring as many. I am sure players will definately take on a whole new persona in the game. I may even start watching highlights of players more when deciding if I want to buy a player.

Also loving the widgets and I'm really looking forward to a whole new FM experience.

Will midweek games have a "floodlight effect"?

That would be pretty awesome. Would give champions league matches that special feeling

Would it be possible for SI to use all the regen faces and show them the same in 3D or will they just be basic faces?

The faces will be very basic, meaning, there won't be any facial features. There is just hair colour and skin colour

I love the prospect of a 3d match engine.

I am curious, however, as to why you have decided that NOW is the time to do it?

The graphics such as they appear now could have been done at least for the last 5 years.

I have no problem with the way the graphics look, I just though that maybe it could have been done sooner if it is going to look like the images and videos shown.

From earlier announcements from you, I had gotten the impression that you were waiting for some radical improvement in the available technology.

Have you made the decision to go 3d because you figure that any major change is unlikely to come for the next several years? (which I would agree)

I would like to stress that I think it is GREAT that you have chosen to do the 3d though!

• SI Staff
Will midweek games have a "floodlight effect"?

Maybe. If not this version then next.

Would it be possible for SI to use all the regen faces and show them the same in 3D or will they just be basic faces?

Not this version. You wouldnt see it anyway as we wont be using close up cameras.

I love the prospect of a 3d match engine.

I am curious, however, as to why you have decided that NOW is the time to do it?

The graphics such as they appear now could have been done at least for the last 5 years.

I have no problem with the way the graphics look, I just though that maybe it could have been done sooner if it is going to look like the images and videos shown.

From earlier announcements from you, I had gotten the impression that you were waiting for some radical improvement in the available technology.

Have you made the decision to go 3d because you figure that any major change is unlikely to come for the next several years? (which I would agree)

I would like to stress that I think it is GREAT that you have chosen to do the 3d though!

Because we felt the match engine was ready to do it justice, plus we love a challenge, and we want to take the game forward.

This 3d project is a long term thing. We wont be over-ambitious first release but we will try to keep improving it each year.

Sounds good. Im looking forward to seeing it all from a new perspective. I only worry that from the posts here people are maybe jumping ahead of themselves on what would and could actually be possible in a first release of a major feature. My only hope for it is that whatever is in there works as it should and anything else gets left till next year.

I am so excited about this its untrue. My girlfreind wants me to see a psychiatrist!

Tie her up to a chair and have her watch hours-worth of Premiership DVDs, until she can't live without it :D

... Or do as Miles said earlier : buy her some shoes

As for the 3D engine, I think it looks great ! The most important thing right now is not the looks, but to have an engine that's true to the game !

FM is the most accurate management game out there, the one that sticks closest to the real thing. So, by "the right time is now", I guess SI meant that they can now rely on a match engine that displays 3D while getting all the proper real-time calculations right.

That's a huge step forward !

IMHO the next challenge for SI is to bring this 3D engine closer and closer to the real thing, both in terms of looks and gameplay, but the hardest part seems done already... unless we get cheap holographic display stations in the next 5 years... but WW3 should break out before that happens :D

Is there a chance in this FM 2009 version the referee could for once overule the linesmans decision of offside as they seem to never do this in any of my games. There seems to be sometimes, that there is a doubt when occasionally the FA stay quiet on some of my protests

I'm still interested to know if different characteristics of the player will be distinguishable. I don't mean physical appearance as I know that has already been answered, but I mean playing characteristics. Take the example I used before, will we be able to see the difference between hard and soft tackling?

In FM08 I've seen a few players resort to head butting during a match, usually a lower league player with no temper or professionalism. How will this be implemented into the match engine? Will there be blood, tears ect?

Thats already being asked, and his reply was that the Camera won't go in that close to see any details anyway because they're not researching players faces.

I think a good promotion for 3D Match Engine would be a virtual representation of some of the classics goals like Giggs and Gerrards famous goals in the FA cup final. Would make a great advertisement and would show us how good the 3D match engine really is.

Thats already being asked, and his reply was that the Camera won't go in that close to see any details anyway because they're not researching players faces.

If you can see someone kick a football, you can see them launch their head at another player.

Looks similar to the virtual replay on the BBC sport website, the one used during the EUROs. That wasn't amazing to look but when it came to highlighting where players where, how they moved with the ball etc. it was spot on.

I know it is in reverse, just capturing what happened and showing it on the screen, but it just shows that we don't need perfect graphics to show how a team is playing, SI showed that with 2d, this will just be a step up.

Just been watching some YouTube footage of the Virtua Striker engine. Obviously with FM all the action will be viewed from a distance (at least in this release) but I can see why SI wanted to use it. The animation seems very fluid and there is a variety of them too: backheels, overhead kicks, players barging each other for the ball, side foot tap-ins etc. Combine this with FM's match engine and I'm really looking forward to the demo.

Hi Miles,

i dont want to come across to censorious but how well tested will the new 3d game play be. in recent years we need patches to fix certain espects of the game etc, seen as this is a complex module and new to FM will there be bugs that us hard core gamers find that some times the SI testers fail to miss.?

Hi Miles' date='

i dont want to come across to censorious but how well tested will the new 3d game play be. in recent years we need patches to fix certain espects of the game etc, seen as this is a complex module and new to FM will there be bugs that us hard core gamers find that some times the SI testers fail to miss.?[/quote']

Miles said in the youtube videos that this years match engine has been tested more than any other, because it's based off the FML match engine, which has been in beta testing for ages.

Also how can he tell you if there will be any bugs that they missed? If they knew they missed them, they would be fixing them ;)

Miles said in the youtube videos that this years match engine has been tested more than any other, because it's based off the FML match engine, which has been in beta testing for ages.

Also how can he tell you if there will be any bugs that they missed? If they knew they missed them, they would be fixing them ;)

LOL that is very true. when i played FML i wasnt that impressed with the match engine, i found alot of random teams got results which left you wondering how happend.

LOL that is very true. when i played FML i wasnt that impressed with the match engine' date=' i found alot of random teams got results which left you wondering how happend.[/quote']

The 08 engine wasn't very good at all, it's why I haven't played it since christmas. But from what I've heard from others (except for you) the FML match engine is fantastic and miles ahead of 08's, and 09 is supposed to be an even bigger improvement on that, so I'm hopeful we'll get what we want

I wonder if someone could clarify for me please, I understand that the 3D being implemented is just a 3D representation of the current 2D Match Engine...

However, I am a little concerned that SI had stated that 50% of "animations" had been completed, which I read as meaning pre-determined moves/phases of play.

Could someone please clarify and put my mind to rest that the implementation of 3D wont see, the same highlights appearing game on game, time after time?

thanks

However, I am a little concerned that SI had stated that 50% of "animations" had been completed, which I read as meaning pre-determined moves/phases of play.

I think by animations, SI mean an animation of a player kicking the ball with his right foot, with his left foot and so on, not pre-scripted plays as that doesn't fit in with the match engine.

I think by animations, SI mean an animation of a player kicking the ball with his right foot, with his left foot and so on, not pre-scripted plays as that doesn't fit in with the match engine.

Apologies, I didn't read Connor's post properly.

Spankie, Im 99.99% certain that is correct. The animations are just what the players do, so tackles, shots, passes etc. The phases of play will be the same as 2D so no, you won't be seeing the same wing play every other time, for example.

Sorry for my poor english

But, has any plan to develop fans in stands in 3d mode?

we can customize pitch, advertising boards, stadiuns or any kind of this?

and about the wheater conditions, has some effect in 3d mode, like in 2d mode?

thanks and congrats! and i can't wait this release!

From what I understand of replies from SI so far, there are no plans to develop stadium/fans graphics in FM09 - maybe later. As for weather conditions - these will be reflected in the state of the pitch, as it is with 2D now, but there will be no raining or snow effects - again, these are ideas for the future.

Archived