[official] FM09 features announcement - match engine / 3d view / TV view

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply
such as getting a better view of red card appeals![/Quote]

Yeah, about that.

Will the match engine's animations AND the ass. man AI give away more useful tips on appeals ?

Most of the time, when one of your players gets a 2-3 games ban, you can appeal on the suspension. But the 2D engine really doesn't give you much insight into the situation ... so you have to guess whether it's worth trying (and risking a longer ban) or not !

And the ass. man's favourite line seems to be "it's your call, man !" :D

Will we actually be able to see something that tells you whether you should appeal the ban or ... fine the bastard ? :D

I want to ask a question about set pieces. Will there be any "stay in offside" set piece instruction in FM 09? I hope there will be because this set piece instruction is used frequently nowadays.

Sorry, I couldn't find anywhere else to write it.

My Question:

2 days ago Nec - Heracles played against eachother, and i found a youtube move about it and i was wondering if that will happend too in FM08.

I will explain it a little bit, theres the black dude that got a yellow card, then he scores and go to the public and pulls his shirt off. The refferee pulled the second yellow card.. would that happend to in the game?

Here is the link to the youtube movie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyV9kj-PwPo

It's around 5:20 that he made the goal.

(Sorry for my bad english) hehe :p

Some good questions already, the ones im interested in :

Will there be players taking shirts off and getting booked?

When there is a cup upset or a massive victory, will the players celebrate on the pitch or just trudge off the field like normal?

Will there be the option of a multi ball system? instead of waiting for the one ball to get back onto the pitch?

To compromise, "extended" is a good option...

Indeed. I'll stick highlights on 'key', but I guess the thing that I hate is getting through seasons really quickly, so on this new version I'm going to take my time and not rush through it.

...Hello, SI team and FM players! I'm a newby with the SI forums but not with the FM series I played since it was called CM. Good work, by the way!

Just two questions I'd like to be answered if possible :

1st - when scoring a goal is the bloody ball going to move the net like in real life?

2nd - in 3D view, are there going to be rendered all the colors of one team's kits, what is the maximum number of colors to be rendered?

A suggestion: If the way a player is salabrating when scoring a goal is visible and variable with the use of the 3D engine maybe the specific moves could be used as a PPM for player individualisation.

Sorry about my english I'm a big fan from Romania.

Thanks!

My Question:

2 days ago Nec - Heracles played against eachother, and i found a youtube move about it and i was wondering if that will happend too in FM08.

I will explain it a little bit, theres the black dude that got a yellow card, then he scores and go to the public and pulls his shirt off. The refferee pulled the second yellow card.. would that happend to in the game?

Here is the link to the youtube movie:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyV9kj-PwPo

It's around 5:20 that he made the goal.

(Sorry for my bad english) hehe :p

The REAL question is if SI will implement this for the same team, 2 times in a row. (Worm in Nec vs Graafschap)

I hope some small things that ****ed me off a bit were fixed like: How easily a smaller team can keep possesion against a bigger team. And one-twos. I noticed that players with "Plays one-twos" ppm every time they passed the ball to his teammate and ran to receive it back, his teammate would never pass the ball back to him.

Yes tactics options will be the same as in FML. There will inevitably be a discussion about the forward arrows issue but this thread isn't the place for it.

Well i was unsure before, but now i'm damn close to not bothering buying this game. I decided against buying FML due largely to the fact we can't select all the tactical options at the start. Now you're saying its in fm09? Ridiculous! The demo will have to go along way to convincing me to buy this!

This one goes to "LeoVieira"!

The "play one-twos" prefered move is something I was looking for when buying a player but listen to this mate, for a player to play one-twos you have to adjust your tactic so that you increase the chance of a player doing that. You have to take into consideration tempo, type of pass, creativity and so on! If you start to think like this then you'll pull it off. I succeded just like that! Good luck!

The REAL question is if SI will implement this for the same team, 2 times in a row. (Worm in Nec vs Graafschap)

I'm pretty sure this will not happen, I mean come on guys, this is the first implementation of the 3D Engine for FM on the base of the FM 08 2D match engine! Besides, the best argument yet is that this kind of situation didn't occure in FM 08 either; player only got yellow/red cards for fouls, protests and other nervous bursts (like attacking/pushing a player without the ball)! So this is the only possible answer to your question.

But the statement above raises another question: "In the 3D view, are we going to see players pushing one another and arguing with officials since the latter is a PPM too?"

Cheers!

The problem I see is that after having been spoilt by the quality of Pro Evo and Fifa graphics, the FM ones might look a bit ordinary? May be?

This one is not PRO Evolution nor FIFA, this game is about tactics, about being a manager that manages people, about making decisions and eventually about...stimulating our imagination. FM is not about extravagant graphics and I hope it stays that way. If that was to change the game would lose all it's "personality" gained over years!

:)

Some good questions already, the ones im interested in :

Will there be players taking shirts off and getting booked?

When there is a cup upset or a massive victory, will the players celebrate on the pitch or just trudge off the field like normal?

Will there be the option of a multi ball system? instead of waiting for the one ball to get back onto the pitch?

TBH I really couldn't care less about any of this. All I want id for the match engine to work properly, the transfer system to be fixed and get decent regens all the other stuff are nice touches but offer nothing of real substance to the game.

...I just hope the players don't look dumb on the pitch, but look like they are connected to the flow of the action (they are capable of reacting according to the situation on the pitch in "real time")!

Thanks SI, great job!

Well i was unsure before, but now i'm damn close to not bothering buying this game. I decided against buying FML due largely to the fact we can't select all the tactical options at the start. Now you're saying its in fm09? Ridiculous! The demo will have to go along way to convincing me to buy this!

It has been announced that part of FML will not be included ever on Football Manager, that guy is talking about the new FML match engine which will be used which contains no arrows

• SI Staff

You won't have to learn any skills before you can use them in FM if that is what you are getting at

You won't have to learn any skills before you can use them in FM if that is what you are getting at

Sorry i wasn't clear. The bit that annoyed me was the fact you could only add 1 single arrow going upwards in FML. And from what i've read it appears that this has spread to FM09?

Sorry i wasn't clear. The bit that annoyed me was the fact you could only add 1 single arrow going upwards in FML. And from what i've read it appears that this has spread to FM09?

It makes the football much more realistic. I think that is a fair trade-off for the loss of arrows.

It makes the football much more realistic. I think that is a fair trade-off for the loss of arrows.

Does that mean less tactical options though? I totally understand why sometimes the arrows were creating havoc in the match engine, but was the solution completely doing away with them?

Like for example, I dont know if you saw the Blackburn vs Man Utd game from last week. Derbyshire was supporting Santa Cruz up top when they had the ball, but when they didnt, he dropped back on the right to form a 5 in midfield. Now this was possible in FM08, play Derbyshire as an AMR with a curved arrow into the box. Is it possible in FM09?

No. People commonly misperceived the arrows as being the direction of runs, which is wrong as they have never determined them. They just specified where players should line up with and without the ball. Removing them makes play far more dynamic as formation position is now the only static instruction.

No. People commonly misperceived the arrows as being the direction of runs, which is wrong as they have never determined them. They just specified where players should line up with and without the ball. Removing them makes play far more dynamic as formation position is now the only static instruction.

Yeah thats exactly how I've always seen arrows, hence the question. The curved arrow on Derbyshire would ask him to function as a forward when his team has the ball, and as a right-sided midfielder otherwise. Now how would you go about replicating such an instruction on FM09?

In my personal opinion, maybe it would've been better to abolish the long-arrows, but keep the short ones i.e. the ones that only at the most take a player up or down one 'level' on the pitch. For example, the curved arrow that I'm talking about, from AM to MC, etc. Of course I've not played FM09 so this is all based purely on what I've heard and seen of it so far, I could be wrong.

The original argument in FML was that such instructions were unrealistic and untranslatable into real world terms. It was akin to telling Derbyshire to play as an MR when defending, then run into a FCR position when you got the ball, and then make a forward run. It was an extra level of instruction that simply wouldn't happen and was thus not needed in/breaking the ME. No player operates as a forward and a midfielder in the same formation. They opperate as a midfielder who tries to get into attacking positions when the opportunity presents itself, not by default. In the FML ME you combine mentality and FWRs to push players forwards. FWRs Often are also shown as short arrows on the tactical screen, FWRs Mixed as no arrow and FWRs Rarely as a barrow.

The original argument in FML was that such instructions were unrealistic and untranslatable into real world terms. It was akin to telling Derbyshire to play as an MR when defending, then run into a FCR position when you got the ball, and then make a forward run. It was an extra level of instruction that simply wouldn't happen and was thus not needed in/breaking the ME. No player operates as a forward and a midfielder in the same formation. They opperate as a midfielder who tries to get into attacking positions when the opportunity presents itself, not by default. In the FML ME you combine mentality and FWRs to push players forwards. FWRs Often are also shown as short arrows on the tactical screen, FWRs Mixed as no arrow and FWRs Rarely as a barrow.

Yup thats how I've heard it now is. I still think it wont give the same level of tactical flexibility as before. I can completely understand the problems the old system presented, but I'm not sure whether doing away with the arrows (except to represent forward runs) is the best solution.

Continuing the Derbyshire example, if I play him as an AMR on FM09 with forward runs often (short arrow), wouldnt he keep making runs down the flank? But I want him to be getting infield in stead, supporting my SC. So perhaps I could play narrower to encourage this. But then, I still want to retain my width on the left and from the fullbacks, I dont want the entire team to play narrow.

Anyway I suppose its all just conjecture before actually trying the game out. I just hope that the new system does not end up giving us less tactical options than before.

Player footedness, creative freedom and decision making is going to play a much greater part in wingplay. In FML, a left footer on the left tends to stay left, whereas a right footer is much more likely to cut in. Increasing creative freedom for a player with good decision making will make him more likely to exploit space wherever it appears.

Thus far, the only people who have really complained are those who were using heavily exploitative arrow systems that focused on getting players into unrealistic positions to open ME holes. 90% plus of FML testers that commented were very positive. I imagine that FM users will react much the same, although the learning curve might be a little steep at first.

Being that I'm regarded as someone who is pretty meticulous in his tactical thinking, I 100% support the removal of the arrows and don't find their loss restrictive in the least. The FML ME is far, far more playable than it ever was prior to arrows going. I have even stopped using arrows in FM08 and find the football to be much better.

Perhaps the fact that Derbyshire is naturally a striker would make him go more central if told to push forward when the team is in possession, whereas a natural winger would stay wide?

Besides, didn't Blackburn lose that game 2-0 or something? Evidently not a tactic that worked!

The removal of arrows seem, to me, to be a positive step, seeing as most eventualities can be covered by player instructions and ME awareness of what a 'natural' in a position would tend to do. Players IRL do seem to have a 'default setting', and revert more to what they know/are comfortable with if faced with what appear to be conflicting instructions. If the new ME makes that apparent on the pitch, it can only be a good thing, IMO - though no doubt some will be screaming 'Bug! My winger's a CM really but wanders in-field instead of playing on the wing and following all these conflicting instructions, because he should be dropping into an anchor position when we lose the ball!' etc etc.

I can just see the poor confused chap looking to the touchline IRL and going 'Boss, what am I doing?'

'Drop deep as the anchor, but also come wide to pick up their full back!'

Player says 'Eh?'

How much more will this demand from your PC? Can we have some recommended specs please?

...about 1.5 to 2 Gb for the RAM but not because the 3D match engine but for loading the database. Anyway in my opinion the game will run just fine on just 1 Gb RAM with less divisions active. When it comes to proccessing power maybe we should talk about a dual core (let's say 2 GHz and more) but again because the great amount of data and not the 3D engine.

This is my hunch based on SI announcement that the game is actually based on the FM08's 2D engine and the FM tradition to trade graphics for complexity which will make the new 3D engine a feature and not the core of the game!

We'll see when announced or released. :rolleyes:

Cheers!

Archived