Football Manager 2014 - Update 14.3.1 Update FEEDBACK THREAD

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
To further this, some of the results I've been getting have been, quite frankly, ridiculous. For instance, I beat PAOK in a Champions League qualifier 6-2, a total of 11 'clear-cut chances' and 10 'half chances' were made. It doesn't end there. In the home leg, I won 4-2, resulting in a 10-4 aggregate scoreline, an absurd scoreline for the level of football being played. In the group stage, I then beat Bayer Leverkusen by 4 goals to 3. Again, a total of 5 'clear-cut chances' were made and a further 8 'half chances'. This isn't just exclusive to my games. Paços de Ferreria beat AC Milan 4-1 (5-4 on aggregate) in the UCL play-off rounds. That's just the Champions League. In the Premier League, just four weekends in, there has been scorelines such as 6-0, 4-3 and a multitude of 4-0 results.

I decided to make a new save to see if this was a one-off thing. Sadly, little changed. In pre-season (I appreciate, not a competitive game, but the point still stands), I beat a very good Real Sociedad side 6-1; the game accumulated 8 'clear-cut chances' - 5 of which went in favour of the losing side (!) - and 8 'half chances'. I also defeated Boca Juniors 5-2; 10 'clear-cut chances' and 11 'half chances' were created. In the preliminary rounds of the UEFA Champions League, I beat FC Red Bull Salzburg 8-3 on aggregate thanks to a 6-2 second leg win. Olivier Giroud scored four goals. I created 5 'clear-cut chances', but 0 'half chances'. Again, such patterns weren't exclusive to my games: Sociedad beat Lyon 4-3, but still lost 6-4 on aggregate. PSV beat Schalke 4-3 in the first leg. A similar pattern emerged in the Premier League: Hull 5-1 Villa (8 'clear-cut chances', 6 'half chances'), Villa 5-2 Norwich (8 'clear-cut chances', 8 'half chances)

The ease at which teams are split open is quite astonishing. Moreover, the amount of goals which result from through balls through the channel between centre-half and fullback is substantial. Fullbacks rarely track, or even attempt to, a their runner. It's not a one-off thing. This sudden increase in attacking prowess/defensive deficiencies really has sucked all the fun from a very good game. And I believe it to be a result of the new changes to the match engine. Great shame.

A very important thing to note is that what the game shows as a clear cut chance, isn't always a clear cut chance, so it's causing problems already to use them as a basis for how a match should have gone. My advice in these cases would be to use the analysis tools to view these chances - you'll probably find a lot of them are barely even half chances.

Seems buggy Jimbokav. If he didn't want to talk with you, it should have been the standard "I feel our relationship has broken down....." otherwise he should talk to you.

What you posted looks like he wanted to talk, but you clicked "End Conversation" (or whatever that little button is!) but I'm assuming you didn't?

Maybe I did click end conversation but didn't mean to. Will have another go later.

I was starting to get disillusioned with how easy the game was, (won 6 out of first 6 Serie A games and we are just not that good yet). It just doesn't "feel" right though. We lost the 7th game to a goal from a corner and a direct free-kick. I was actually quite pleased because my goal was so blatantly off-side that it was ridiculous. (I had a player standing on the goal-line when a shot was taken, and he stuck in the re-bound when it was saved.

My defenders are scoring too regularly and if their early season spree continues, I would estimate that my centre-backs will score... [has a little tot-up]... if we play 38 Serie A games, 15 games in Europe and let's say another 7 in Cup games, so that's 60 games, I would estimate that they are going to contribute somewhere in the region of 20 goals this season, (and none of them take pens or free-kicks).

I am not great at either defending or scoring from set-pieces since the patch, so I would expect this number to increase as I fine-tune my instructions. It feels like I am aquaplaning to success at the moment rather than driving the team forward. :(

Maybe I'm just getting used to the new patch and things will feel better over the course of the week.

[Edit]

Regardig ccc's, I honestly don't take an awful lot of notice. I mean I have a look at the stat when I look at match stats, but but my tactic has never created loads of ccc's anyway so my conversion rate seems great compared to some of you, (but again that might be me managing little San Marino and some of you managing bug dominant clubs). I would maybe start taking that stat with a pinch of salt if you are creating loads. Either that or start looking yourself at the chances themselves and deciding "was that really a ccc?"

My ccc's in games this season read like this.

3, 1, 2, 0, 3, 1, 1, 5, 1.

Interestingly, we only drew the European game against Everton, (fielded a weakened team), yet created loads more ccc's than usual, but thinking back I wasn't really aware of this in the game and it "felt" like we were hanging on a little. The ccc's didn't really reflect in the game that I watching. We actually seemed significantly less dominant than the Serie A matches we had won.

A very important thing to note is that what the game shows as a clear cut chance, isn't always a clear cut chance, so it's causing problems already to use them as a basis for how a match should have gone. My advice in these cases would be to use the analysis tools to view these chances - you'll probably find a lot of them are barely even half chances.

I can't speak for the rest of the guys and it's true that some of the ccc's my strikers probably shouldn't be considered ccc's.

However, that being said, i do think there is possibly an issue with strikers missing easy chances i.e. clean through on goal or ball whipped across the box and striker hitting it straight at the keeper.

Is it possible that this was done for balance though?

I do seem to create a lot of those chances and i'd probably rather have this than every game ending up 8-8

Anyone finding that it's a lot, lot harder to do well with a poor side compared to the rest of the league? Managing Fulham like always and this time I can hardly keep above the relegation zone which usually isn't too difficult.

I found playing as Norwich the first season pretty hard. Second season I spent half of the campaign trying to lose matches so I wouldn't qualify for Europe, eventually finished mid-table which still raised the expectations a little to high for the third season transfer and wage budgets are still really tight. Pretty much the only difference in the squad from the first season was a new first choice CB, sold Snodgrass because he was getting on my tits, and played Redmond and the Murphy twins regularly.

I've got my corners set to "near post", but has anyone else noticed that if you set one player to "offer short option", they tend to play the short corner more than the "near post" instruction I've gave them?

I only want the short option as a decoy to hopefully drag an opposition player out.

This literally just happened again.

2mh64cp.jpg

My striker hit it right at the keeper.

While it is entirely possible that he would hit it right at the keeper, it's the regularity of it happening which is frustrating.

Is there potential for lowering the amount of shots and ccc's in 15 in an effort to stop this from happening?

While the number of the goals and game scores are completely normal, logical and realistic, the way that has been archieved is not good at all. Defenders behaving like idiots, producing tons of chances would result in unrealistic scores, like before the patch, so, instead of fixing the defensive issues, the game creators made attackers even more idiotic than defenders, so that they don't make use of (too) many chances. It makes the game even worse, even though results and tables don't show it. I find it quite difficult to believe that Suarez would miss the goal 3 times from 5m distance in the same match.

I've got my corners set to "near post", but has anyone else noticed that if you set one player to "offer short option", they tend to play the short corner more than the "near post" instruction I've gave them?

I only want the short option as a decoy to hopefully drag an opposition player out.

I set someone to short and set my taker to 'mixed', and I probably see may one in a dozen taken short. Usually it does drag an opposition player out though and when they leave the short guy unmarked, my team uses him.

I also think this needs looked at for 15

2q3dezs.jpg

CF is Doumbia who has 16 finishing, 14 composure and 13 decisions as well as the ppi Runs with Ball...

There is just no way he should have been been taking the shot from there , there is literally no one near him (he beat the two cb's around 40 yards out and left them for dust).

I've had a attacking save with my Arsenal team. 4-2-3-1 Attacking. Now, i had some team instruction that seem to be ignored by my players :

1). Stand off opponents is set to all my defenders, yet, when the other team reaches my own-half, my centre-backs, instead of holding the D-Line, and wait for my defensive midfielders to regroup and hassle the opponent, rushes out to the player holding the ball leaving acres of space behind him for the opponent to take advantage of, leading to many,many one-on-one chances with my GK.

2). I have corners set to near post. But, because i had set one of my players to "offer short option", not even 1 corner is to the near post, all of them (Ozil - corner taker) are sent to the player who offers the short option. Is creative freedom interfering with my tactic or it is a bug ?

3). ClearCutChances. My god, what a feast of missed CCC's on this patch. And i don't speak of the CCC's from Match Stats. I speak about what i see in-game. It doesn't matter if it's Aguero, Messi, C.Ronaldo or Shane Long or Emile Heskey. Almost every god damn one on one with the keeper it's missed, doesn't matter if it's me or the opponent.When i see the oppopnent clean through my goal, i am 90% sure it's not a goal. And this is the reason i've stopped playing until a new patch arrives (if arrives - if don't, then i'm done with Football Manager series).

I've had a attacking save with my Arsenal team. 4-2-3-1 Attacking. Now, i had some team instruction that seem to be ignored by my players :

1). Stand off opponents is set to all my defenders, yet, when the other team reaches my own-half, my centre-backs, instead of holding the D-Line, and wait for my defensive midfielders to regroup and hassle the opponent, rushes out to the player holding the ball leaving acres of space behind him for the opponent to take advantage of, leading to many,many one-on-one chances with my GK.

2). I have corners set to near post. But, because i had set one of my players to "offer short option", not even 1 corner is to the near post, all of them (Ozil - corner taker) are sent to the player who offers the short option. Is creative freedom interfering with my tactic or it is a bug ?

3). ClearCutChances. My god, what a feast of missed CCC's on this patch. And i don't speak of the CCC's from Match Stats. I speak about what i see in-game. It doesn't matter if it's Aguero, Messi, C.Ronaldo or Shane Long or Emile Heskey. Almost every god damn one on one with the keeper it's missed, doesn't matter if it's me or the opponent.When i see the oppopnent clean through my goal, i am 90% sure it's not a goal. And this is the reason i've stopped playing until a new patch arrives (if arrives - if don't, then i'm done with Football Manager series).

I'm pretty sure there wont be a new patch until 15 Alexivan.

Why i agree the ccc thing is annoying, imo this game is still magic.

But, each to their own.

That magic doesn't exist for my anymore since FM 12. Now i play this game only because i'm melancholic. I really, really don't understand why in 2/3 years of development this ME (FM 13& FM 14) it's in this poor state.

We have the woodwork hitting problem since when ? 3-4-5 years ?

We have the poor long shots problem since FM 13...

Poor free kicks since FM 13...

Poor wingers decisions since FM 13....

And after so many patches that doesn't even fix the above really annoying bugs, we add more to the list... I've not played more than 10-15 hours FM 14.

I may be a perfectionist, but the ME it's representing at least ~70% of the game. And let's admit it, if you look at the FM14 ME Bugs thread, it's in a really bad shape.

That magic doesn't exist for my anymore since FM 12. Now i play this game only because i'm melancholic. I really, really don't understand why in 2/3 years of development this ME (FM 13& FM 14) it's in this poor state.

We have the woodwork hitting problem since when ? 3-4-5 years ?

We have the poor long shots problem since FM 13...

Poor free kicks since FM 13...

Poor wingers decisions since FM 13....

And after so many patches that doesn't even fix the above really annoying bugs, we add more to the list... I've not played more than 10-15 hours FM 14.

I may be a perfectionist, but the ME it's representing at least ~70% of the game. And let's admit it, if you look at the FM14 ME Bugs thread, it's in a really bad shape.

But the part I don't understand is that if you think, just looking at a bugs forum, that the ME now is in a really bad shape, then how can you say that it was "magic" back in previous versions? There have always been bugs in the ME, and always will be, and I don't think this is anywhere near the zenith of terrible bugs ME-wise. Then you've got a lot of people who genuinely think it's the best ME they've ever managed. Does it mean it's perfect? No. Does it mean you have to enjoy it? No. Is it in that bad a shape? Not at all.

Some feedback from what I've found:

- Generally, this update is better than the last one. First touches have been resolved well, long shots are being taken with much less regularity than before and fullbacks have improved a bit.

- Wingers have a tendency to shoot into the side netting rather than cross when crossing is clearly the better option.

- Defending is still quite poor. My back four doesn't really hold its shape that well, and the ball between the CB and FB which the winger runs on to is a big problem.

- Strikers tend to shoot too early sometimes, when they have a clear run at goal (see post #1293 above).

- The AI seems lethal with set pieces, whereas my team is pretty inept. I know this is most likely due to how I'm set up, but I gather there is a generally acknowledged issue with corners.

All in all, I think FM14 is a bit disappointing. I don't mean any offence or ill will in saying that, and I'm not trying to rant about how "SI has stolen my money" or any of that stuff; in fact over the years I've been playing CM/FM I've had countless hours of enjoyment and entertainment for what is a very reasonable price, and for that I thank SI. £25 for unlimited entertainment is great value. But, sadly, FM14 is the poorest of the franchise yet in my opinion. FM13 wasn't great until the final patch, after which I really enjoyed it, but this one has just been...a disappointment.

I think I'll be giving the next one a miss, although that isn't entirely down to this game (I don't always feel the need to buy each one as it comes out).

I don't know if this is patch related, but I found this young CB at River (Balanta?) with incredible stats and perfectionist personality so I put some bids in and the player was unhappy at not being able to hold talks with me (Arsenal)

He ended up transfer listed, but after having an offer accepted he doesn't wish to enter talks and won't discuss terms with me. Bug?

These are my reasons why FM2014 deserves another patch. I think the game needs further improving - I honestly couldn't care less about FM2015 when my current game has so many very easy to see flaws. I know this sounds harsh, but imagine someone selling a different game, say a popular rpg - and they won't patch it anymore because their next game around the corner - even though this current game was just released a few months back? Wouldn't you feel disappointed or upset? I know I do, and I am someone who buys FM every year, regardless if I play it - just to support SI and the genre. Tough love is the only way forward sometimes. :D

Here is a list of my gripes with the game after 20-30 hours of play.

Match Engine

- (animation - major) Players sliding around as if they are on ice - this actually annoys the hell out of me.

- (match engine - minor) Crosses hitting the post or bar from improbable angles. This happens just far too often and needs to be addressed.

- (match engine - minor) Players through on goal, shoot from long range instead of running in and attempting to score. Doesn't always happen, but often enough to be an annoying minor issue.

- (match engine - minor) Players sometimes dwell on the ball, instead of trying to beat their man. Sometimes a player through on goal will somehow waste an eternity and be pegged back by defenders.

- (animation - match engine - major) Some players seem to run into the ball and not try to control it (mix of bad first touch and lack of animations). I am not sure if this is the "first touch" bug, but to me it seems even the best players control the ball as if their arms were tied behind their backs or they had a stiff back. :D

- (animation - very minor) Ref not keeping up with play when handing out a yellow or red card. We literally have to watch the ref slowing walk to the player and book him. Why can't the ref be closer to the foul or jog/run to the player and hand out the card? This has been a problem even on FM2005! LOL :D

- (General Match Engine Feel) Players seem to be "skill-less" at times with the current match engine. This is hard to pinpoint, but it seems even top class players are clueless at times. I don't feel or see that sense of class that players should have. Even top class players in FM seem like they are sliding about, struggling to control the ball. I think if the "ice skating" and the first touch is fixed further - the players won't seem to be struggling to control the ball. It sometimes reminds me of a person trying to fetch an apple out of a barrel with their mouth... :D

- (Graphics - Minor) with the "close" view, you can really see some very poor textures for the stadiums in game. They are very pixelated and blocky and at times deters from the game.

- (Sounds - Major) - very generic sound in this game and has not improved at all in years. In fact the sound in FM is worse now than it was over a decade ago. Something needs to be done here eventually?

- (Realism - New view). Why don't we have a dugout view, where you actually view a match from the managers eyes? This view while not perfect to watch a game of football - is more realistic. This view was in a game called LMA manager and I enjoyed that "feel" of being on the sideline.

Game General

- (Major Issue) Team talks can destroy an otherwise happy dressing room too easily. I told my team that they played well, but need to be better against higher quality teams. This led to many players asking for a transfer request due to being so upset!

- (Minor Issue) When you tell a captain or vice captain to talk to a team mate to resolve an issue, it seems the issue suddenly becomes resolved yet no party comes to you with the outcome. The player is suddenly "happy" again.

- (Minor Issue) Too many high scoring games when viewing AI games. This seems to be an issue no matter what detail level is used. I have seen lots of 5-3 games, 3-3, 5-4, 2-2 etc etc. These are all on a new save.

- (Major Issue - Literally game breaking for me) Not enough transfer activity. It is virtually impossible to sell players, even for free and even loaning players seems difficult. The salary of the player also does not seem to affect this. Even players on low wages are hard to sell or loan off. This issue is really killing my enjoyment of the game and SI need to rethink the balance between realism and playability. I feel this wasn't a problem in FM2012 or 2013. I actually enjoyed selling players in these versions and being able to rebuild a squad.

- (AI Squad Building - Major) - I noticed very early in my 20-30 hours of gaming that big clubs seem to buy some really weak players. I can understand the AI is probably buying on terms of PA or CA, but shouldn't they also look at players attributes? I find it odd when a player with all 10-12 in their stats are starting in games, and playing poorly.

Tactics

(Opinion) The new tactics system takes the control away from the manager. There are many tactical decisions now removed from the manager, because they interfere or clash. This "dumbing down" makes successful tactics easier to create because managers are making less tactical errors. A tutorial literally blocks certain tactical instructions from being used for your team and players. Not only does it feel dumbed down, but it also feels difficult to truly understand how your team plays because many instructions are pre-selected purely based on roles. It totally makes it feel as though the tactics are purely passive in some respect.

These are just my major gripes so far with the game, and unfortunately I don't feel happy with the current product. I feel SI should at least release a patch to allow more transfer activity as right now I am literally stuck, even with a rich club due to a salary cap (not able to sell even 1 player all season managing Wolves.)

I totally understand that the development cycle of FM2014 is now over - and FM2015 is on it's way in 8-9 months time, but the issue here is that the same issues will crop up - people will wait for the January Window etc. to start a new game and more than likely more issues will creep up.

SI need to rethink the whole method of releasing Football Manager and begin thinking of updating the game on the fly - similar to Minecraft or an online multiplayer game. Smaller patches, more often that target specific issues. I think for once in this games life, SI need to stall a release and as stated fix the current product "on the fly" as games like Minecraft do, then by all means - begin working on the next FM.

I would be more than happy to buy Football Manager and then pay for "seasons" or pay a yearly "subscription" to the game that is constantly evolving - rather than being completely rehashed with a new skin every year. I think this method will actually help solve issues on the fly one by one. However I know it probably won't happen. I know for one that I purchased Minecraft and Guild Wars over a year ago and those games continually evolve. Maybe SI can do something similar and for me it would be great knowing I don't have to wait until FM2015 to see if these issues are fixed as I know the game will keep evolving on the fly - with smaller more frequent patches. As it stands now, I will probably put FM2014 down and never play it again - which is quite sad. I am sure many love the game, but many also feel like I do. I want to be able to keep playing, knowing that issues I have reported will be fixed now, not in 12 months time.

I know SI do have the fanbase to create a new type of business model, as FM is always one of the top 5 games played on STEAM.

Guest El Payaso
While the number of the goals and game scores are completely normal, logical and realistic, the way that has been archieved is not good at all. Defenders behaving like idiots, producing tons of chances would result in unrealistic scores, like before the patch, so, instead of fixing the defensive issues, the game creators made attackers even more idiotic than defenders, so that they don't make use of (too) many chances. It makes the game even worse, even though results and tables don't show it. I find it quite difficult to believe that Suarez would miss the goal 3 times from 5m distance in the same match.
I think exactly same way too. While I am not conceding too much, there just is nothing that makes me rely my defence. There are those days when the opponents are properly challenging my defence and then we're always going to be in trouble. The games where I don't concede are mostly those where the opponents decide (they're not forced) to take long shots instead of passing the ball inside the penalty area and that doesn't make defence good, it's just because the opponents don't play at their full potential in attack.

I think that wingers' positioning also plays huge part in defending. They just don't do anything in terms of defending when the least they should be regularly doing is to position themselves so that they would block at least one passing line between the opposition's players (especially that line between full-back and winger). But they don't do it and you can't instruct them to do it. Wingers and full-backs are basically free to pass the ball between them and even that creates lots of chances as wingers' running with the ball is still the main attacking tool in the game even though the amount of dribbles has been toned down.

I also think this needs looked at for 15

CF is Doumbia who has 16 finishing, 14 composure and 13 decisions as well as the ppi Runs with Ball...

There is just no way he should have been been taking the shot from there , there is literally no one near him (he beat the two cb's around 40 yards out and left them for dust).

Even though it isn't a bug in the traditional sense, you can still report it in the Match Engine section of the Bugs Forum. Provide a PKM and it will help SI address that sort of thing for FM15.

Even though it isn't a bug in the traditional sense, you can still report it in the Match Engine section of the Bugs Forum. Provide a PKM and it will help SI address that sort of thing for FM15.

Will do Hunt3r.

Is it worth it uploading every match it happens in (to the same thread) or will one suffice?

It does happen often enough so that might mean uploading a lot of matches

Will do Hunt3r.

Is it worth it uploading every match it happens in (to the same thread) or will one suffice?

It does happen often enough so that might mean uploading a lot of matches

I would go for between 5 and 7 similar examples if you see them. That would set a good general pattern of play to be looked at.

• SI Staff
I don't know if this is patch related, but I found this young CB at River (Balanta?) with incredible stats and perfectionist personality so I put some bids in and the player was unhappy at not being able to hold talks with me (Arsenal)

He ended up transfer listed, but after having an offer accepted he doesn't wish to enter talks and won't discuss terms with me. Bug?

Thanks. This is something we are looking into.

There will only be a 14.3.1 if there is something very serious that needs fixing, like an issue preventing people from running the game.

Can we get back to feedback for 14.3.0 now please?

David91, it's very improbable - but I think SI should really look at FM2014 and fix the games most glaring issues before going to FM2015. The fans of the game (the customers) deserve it I feel.

Which is exactly what they will be doing, and have always done prior to a new game. FM15 will likely be FM14.4.

I have just realised that I have been collecting quite a high number of yellow cards.

My left back has collected 53 yellow cards in 3 and a bit seasons, (in all competitions). That seems ridiculous. (He's only been sent off once in that time).

If we just look at Serie A games.....

2022/23 12 yellow cards in 22(1) appearances.

2023/24 15 yellow cards in 24 appearances.

2024/25 15 yellow cards in 29 appearances.

2025/26 6 yellow cards in 8(1) appearances.

Total 48 yellow cards in 83(2) appearances.

Obviously my tactics will play a part in this and yes I do tell them to get stuck in and hassle opponents, but this seems high even in comparison to the rest of my team.

He is my left back and is one of the few real players left in my squad, (30 years old), is a balanced personality with 12 aggression & 14 determination. Possibly just a high dirtiness attribute? His bookings seem to be for regular fouling rather than bad challenges.

I have a young left back who has 4 bookings in 7(7) appearances, (and has been sent off too), so maybe that hints more at my tactics than the player.

Ha, sounds a lot like an issue I'm having with my right back - he's constantly getting booked. Even if he eases off tackles will still pick up a card for some innocuous glare at an opposition winger. In my 18-19 season he picked up 19 yellow cards and was sent of three games in a row in one spell. Is relatively non aggressive also, not hugely brave or strong... Think the game just doesn't like him!

I'm not exactly sure what's happened, but it's funny nonetheless. My U21s team had their keeper injured a week or two ago, but I thought they'd use an U18 keeper to replace him. Instead they seem to start with my star youth striker in goal, then it seems they rotate between several other outfield players (I count 4 different players in goal in the highlights) during the match - the player who started in goal actually scored a hat trick. Guess I'll have to set my U18s to be available for the U21 friendlies...

2 things I have noticed so far

A lot of crosses going in as "fluke goals" (He certainly didn't mean that!") or still hitting the crossbar. The floated crosses hitting the bar seems to have been on for a while but the lucky goals seems new?

Doing some contract renews of about 8 players and 6 of them wanted to be key players. It has not happened before and it seems unusual. A lot of them were kids and squad players, I'd say only 1 was really justified. I talked most of them down but contract talks broke down with a couple. In earlier patches the players have not exactly been modest but this seems a tad extreme.

Jac, can you provide a PKM for this in the bugs forum? (http://community.sigames.com/forumdisplay.php/365-Match-Engine-3D-and-Team-Talks)

Regarding the yellow cards for full-backs issue, we haven't noticed a trend of any one position picking up more cards than any other (within reason). It's almost certainly in part tactical, however it could also be related to the fact that our tackle stats are higher than real life and so if your flanks are exposed to runners then your full backs could be making more tackle attempts than expected.

Things i notice in the new patch.

Players always reject loans to feeder club.

Players always asked for key player status during re contract.

a lot more fluke goal coming from cross.

Clubs bidding for my players more often

The currency will still randomly which to others.

Got a player has a slight concern because he wants to match another player salary but refuse to speak about recontract.

I need to reiterate my issue with not being able to sell players. It is really annoying me how I am getting no offers for loan players and no offers for some decent players for free. I am trying to even sell players worth 3-5 mil for 0 and no club is even interested. I would expect even some "minor" interest, yet none at all. Wages aren't a problem either seeing that most of them are on 200-300k a season. I would expect the AI to be able to sign someone. Active leagues shouldn't be an issue either as I have down to League 2 picked in England, plus 20+ nations with min down to their 2nd tier.

Please SI I am begging you to increase transfer activity... :(

This patch has not been good. Teams leak goals too much.

It seems animations are also a big problem. Had a keeper save a shot, the keeper gets back up around the penalty spot and just stands there. While this is happening the other team have the ball and shoot from a tight angle, the keeper makes no attempt to close the gap down.

Reported the problem and already has a reply back from Si about it, they say the wrong animation was being selected. There has to be another patch.

I must confess I am having a tough time working out philosophies in this game despite playing, managing and coaching football IRL for 25 odd years!!

Played Chelsea away and did a little experiment with a 4231 with two roles in the DM strata and three across the CM strata with a supporting lone forward. Played the same team in each reload. no shouts or changes bar a couple of injuries in one game, same team talk pre match but none at half time. These were the results.

Contain/Balanced - Chelsea 1 West Ham 0

Defensive/Balanced - Chelsea 1 West Ham 1

Counter/Balanced - Chelsea 4 West Ham 0

Standard/Balanced - Chelsea 6 West Ham 1

Control/Balanced - Chelsea 3 West Ham 1

Attacking/Balanced - Chelsea 5 West Ham 0

Now all games bar one I was seriously battered and in those games Chelsea had 20 chances or more so I was a bit surprised to only lose 1-0 and draw 1-1 with contain and defensive.

The closest game by a long chalk funnily enough was when I used control/balanced when Chelsea had 14 shots with 5 on target to my 10 shots with 4 on target yet surely West Ham trying to control a game against Chelsea away would be suicidal?

I certainly don't think you can play 19th century football in FM!!! Defenders don't put last ditch blocks in and even if you defend deep balls are played behind fullbacks with ease which is odd with a defensive strategy although it is usually against my left back who is on attacking as suggested by the 12 step guide!

So I reckon that playing defensively in FM is pretty pointless as you don't make chances and unless it's my tactics designing a solid back four is very difficult.

I must confess I am having a tough time working out philosophies in this game despite playing, managing and coaching football IRL for 25 odd years!!

Played Chelsea away and did a little experiment with a 4231 with two roles in the DM strata and three across the CM strata with a supporting lone forward. Played the same team in each reload. no shouts or changes bar a couple of injuries in one game, same team talk pre match but none at half time. These were the results.

Contain/Balanced - Chelsea 1 West Ham 0

Defensive/Balanced - Chelsea 1 West Ham 1

Counter/Balanced - Chelsea 4 West Ham 0

Standard/Balanced - Chelsea 6 West Ham 1

Control/Balanced - Chelsea 3 West Ham 1

Attacking/Balanced - Chelsea 5 West Ham 0

Now all games bar one I was seriously battered and in those games Chelsea had 20 chances or more so I was a bit surprised to only lose 1-0 and draw 1-1 with contain and defensive.

The closest game by a long chalk funnily enough was when I used control/balanced when Chelsea had 14 shots with 5 on target to my 10 shots with 4 on target yet surely West Ham trying to control a game against Chelsea away would be suicidal?

I certainly don't think you can play 19th century football in FM!!! Defenders don't put last ditch blocks in and even if you defend deep balls are played behind fullbacks with ease which is odd with a defensive strategy although it is usually against my left back who is on attacking as suggested by the 12 step guide!

So I reckon that playing defensively in FM is pretty pointless as you don't make chances and unless it's my tactics designing a solid back four is very difficult.

RT went 18 games without conceding playing defensively (and winning), Ackter is Mr Anti football, and builds whole teams around it. I'd start with those two on how to do it.

Nothing to be ashamed of, I don't think they're well documented, but at the same time I partly find them overlapping and redundant to a degree and in parts myself, in particular with the almost full customization of levels of creative freedom (which I might be wrong on also). But then there's likely a reason why SI struggle to document them themselves, and I believe that is no coincidence at all. Whilst they shouldn't be dismissed, there are more important and impactfull things to decide on anyways. :)

Don't go these logics, or you'll end up like this guy. :-) http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/361388-Is-FM-a-simulator-or-an-illusion

These are my reasons why FM2014 deserves another patch. I think the game needs further improving - I honestly couldn't care less about FM2015 when my current game has so many very easy to see flaws. I know this sounds harsh, but imagine someone selling a different game, say a popular rpg - and they won't patch it anymore because their next game around the corner - even though this current game was just released a few months back? Wouldn't you feel disappointed or upset? I know I do, and I am someone who buys FM every year, regardless if I play it - just to support SI and the genre. Tough love is the only way forward sometimes. :D

Here is a list of my gripes with the game after 20-30 hours of play.

Match Engine

- (animation - major) Players sliding around as if they are on ice - this actually annoys the hell out of me.

- (match engine - minor) Crosses hitting the post or bar from improbable angles. This happens just far too often and needs to be addressed.

- (match engine - minor) Players through on goal, shoot from long range instead of running in and attempting to score. Doesn't always happen, but often enough to be an annoying minor issue.

- (match engine - minor) Players sometimes dwell on the ball, instead of trying to beat their man. Sometimes a player through on goal will somehow waste an eternity and be pegged back by defenders.

- (animation - match engine - major) Some players seem to run into the ball and not try to control it (mix of bad first touch and lack of animations). I am not sure if this is the "first touch" bug, but to me it seems even the best players control the ball as if their arms were tied behind their backs or they had a stiff back. :D

- (animation - very minor) Ref not keeping up with play when handing out a yellow or red card. We literally have to watch the ref slowing walk to the player and book him. Why can't the ref be closer to the foul or jog/run to the player and hand out the card? This has been a problem even on FM2005! LOL :D

- (General Match Engine Feel) Players seem to be "skill-less" at times with the current match engine. This is hard to pinpoint, but it seems even top class players are clueless at times. I don't feel or see that sense of class that players should have. Even top class players in FM seem like they are sliding about, struggling to control the ball. I think if the "ice skating" and the first touch is fixed further - the players won't seem to be struggling to control the ball. It sometimes reminds me of a person trying to fetch an apple out of a barrel with their mouth... :D

- (Graphics - Minor) with the "close" view, you can really see some very poor textures for the stadiums in game. They are very pixelated and blocky and at times deters from the game.

- (Sounds - Major) - very generic sound in this game and has not improved at all in years. In fact the sound in FM is worse now than it was over a decade ago. Something needs to be done here eventually?

- (Realism - New view). Why don't we have a dugout view, where you actually view a match from the managers eyes? This view while not perfect to watch a game of football - is more realistic. This view was in a game called LMA manager and I enjoyed that "feel" of being on the sideline.

Game General

- (Major Issue) Team talks can destroy an otherwise happy dressing room too easily. I told my team that they played well, but need to be better against higher quality teams. This led to many players asking for a transfer request due to being so upset!

- (Minor Issue) When you tell a captain or vice captain to talk to a team mate to resolve an issue, it seems the issue suddenly becomes resolved yet no party comes to you with the outcome. The player is suddenly "happy" again.

- (Minor Issue) Too many high scoring games when viewing AI games. This seems to be an issue no matter what detail level is used. I have seen lots of 5-3 games, 3-3, 5-4, 2-2 etc etc. These are all on a new save.

- (Major Issue - Literally game breaking for me) Not enough transfer activity. It is virtually impossible to sell players, even for free and even loaning players seems difficult. The salary of the player also does not seem to affect this. Even players on low wages are hard to sell or loan off. This issue is really killing my enjoyment of the game and SI need to rethink the balance between realism and playability. I feel this wasn't a problem in FM2012 or 2013. I actually enjoyed selling players in these versions and being able to rebuild a squad.

- (AI Squad Building - Major) - I noticed very early in my 20-30 hours of gaming that big clubs seem to buy some really weak players. I can understand the AI is probably buying on terms of PA or CA, but shouldn't they also look at players attributes? I find it odd when a player with all 10-12 in their stats are starting in games, and playing poorly.

Tactics

(Opinion) The new tactics system takes the control away from the manager. There are many tactical decisions now removed from the manager, because they interfere or clash. This "dumbing down" makes successful tactics easier to create because managers are making less tactical errors. A tutorial literally blocks certain tactical instructions from being used for your team and players. Not only does it feel dumbed down, but it also feels difficult to truly understand how your team plays because many instructions are pre-selected purely based on roles. It totally makes it feel as though the tactics are purely passive in some respect.

These are just my major gripes so far with the game, and unfortunately I don't feel happy with the current product. I feel SI should at least release a patch to allow more transfer activity as right now I am literally stuck, even with a rich club due to a salary cap (not able to sell even 1 player all season managing Wolves.)

I totally understand that the development cycle of FM2014 is now over - and FM2015 is on it's way in 8-9 months time, but the issue here is that the same issues will crop up - people will wait for the January Window etc. to start a new game and more than likely more issues will creep up.

SI need to rethink the whole method of releasing Football Manager and begin thinking of updating the game on the fly - similar to Minecraft or an online multiplayer game. Smaller patches, more often that target specific issues. I think for once in this games life, SI need to stall a release and as stated fix the current product "on the fly" as games like Minecraft do, then by all means - begin working on the next FM.

I would be more than happy to buy Football Manager and then pay for "seasons" or pay a yearly "subscription" to the game that is constantly evolving - rather than being completely rehashed with a new skin every year. I think this method will actually help solve issues on the fly one by one. However I know it probably won't happen. I know for one that I purchased Minecraft and Guild Wars over a year ago and those games continually evolve. Maybe SI can do something similar and for me it would be great knowing I don't have to wait until FM2015 to see if these issues are fixed as I know the game will keep evolving on the fly - with smaller more frequent patches. As it stands now, I will probably put FM2014 down and never play it again - which is quite sad. I am sure many love the game, but many also feel like I do. I want to be able to keep playing, knowing that issues I have reported will be fixed now, not in 12 months time.

I know SI do have the fanbase to create a new type of business model, as FM is always one of the top 5 games played on STEAM.

this is totally spot on:thup: if a product isn't doing what it should be it needs to be addressed, not tell the paying customer it will be in the next release of the said product, (FM15) I understand why SI release a new version each year but I would rather it was a 2/3 time frame for release of a new version and it was working correctly, as SI are the market leader but have let themselves down badly this year

Too many goals! Saw this Europa League Game during my Napoli save..

ChelseavRoma_OverviewOverview_zpseade1f0a.png

Yeah, this is what is ruining the game for me. I will not be touching this version anymore. I already submitted a save for review with an 8-4 scoreline, but the sad thing this will not be fixed until FM15

Nothing to be ashamed of, I don't think they're well documented, but at the same time I partly find them overlapping and redundant to a degree and in parts myself, in particular with the almost full customization of levels of creative freedom (which I might be wrong on also). But then there's likely a reason why SI struggle to document them themselves, and I believe that is no coincidence at all. Whilst they shouldn't be dismissed, there are more important and impactfull things to decide on anyways. :)

Don't go these logics, or you'll end up like this guy. :-) http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/361388-Is-FM-a-simulator-or-an-illusion

The thing is I never had an issue with classic tactics, bizarrely I felt in more control and knew what I wanted from my team with the sliders.

Now I am thinking are West Ham fluid, rigid, balanced, very fluid, and what does fluid go with is that counter, attacking, defensive and is rigid control, contain or what!! Is George McCartney a full back or a wing back because the stars say as good as either but his stats suggest not and my Assistant doesn't have a clue or is Kevin Nolan a shadow striker, attacking midfielder, engache or just utter gash!! Do I play 442, 4231, 451 with a high line or a deep line, or shall I allow Downing to roam or just hit the bar with his crosses from where he is. Do I allow Noble to take corners to himself because he is the short option as well although short is better than long now because all corners have been nuked! Anyhow how much creative freedom does he have now, Noble that is, is it more if he is a Regista and less if he is a DLP or shall I just let him roam free as a scrum half, sorry wrong sport!! Do I ask Diame to close down, stand off, get stuck in or tackle lightly or are all of those options exactly the same? Are my coaches coaching anything other that Attacking Set Pieces which my Assistant always leaves it on when he is in charge or are they trying something else? In fact who are my coaches, I don't know them, I have no idea, because my Director of Football just signed them all 250 of them along with 25 scouts who after two years decide to tell me that it would be a good idea if they did some scouting. I must have a word with the Head Scout although I have no idea who he is either because my Chairman signed him I think and I now have no money for players because the staff wage budget is 20 million pounds a week! Actually I think I'll just leave it as it is because I thumped top of the table Hull City 3-0 so 18th placed Chelsea won't be a problem!!!

Sorry for very little punctuation and common sense in the above paragraph but that's how I feel about the tactic creator!!! ;-)

And who teaches the AI to play defensively so that 8-5 scores don't show up anymore ? :D

I genuinely have never seen an 8-5, nor a 5-5 or even a 4-4.

I'm not saying they don't happen, as we have screenshots to prove that it does.

However, things always need a dose of context.

If all users saw this regularly, then it would be a big issue, but I'm not alone in not seeing such scorelines.

I really don't get what use tactical familiarity does..or training for that matter..seems to make no bearing on match result..

I have been playing for couple of months and every save is the same..

Develop 2 or 3 tactics

Pre-season..excellent results bring in 4star signings..improve squad, give player roles that are best suited to them...

Morale high...start season

Great start..one defeat...morale drops...lose games I dominate, win games where I have hardy any possession

Current season example (as Napoli..beaten Milan, Juve and Roma..lost to Sassuolo, Standard and Celtic)

Run of defeats..tinker, tinker, tinker..

.try different shouts...more direct--

change mentality and fluidity..

I have tried control and fluid, attacking and rigid, standard and balanced, etc etc

Every match is a case of hope this works..if not try change everything..

Archived