Football Manager 2014 - Update 14.3.1 Update FEEDBACK THREAD

I've noticed 4-4-2's playing with wingers are a lot easier to take apart defensively now than they were previously. Of course the strength ultimately lies in the underlying tactic, but I've found that just by compressing players into the middle so its more of a 4-1-3-2 or 4-3-1-2 there is a much more resolute defensive performance from the team. Perhaps others have noticed it the other way, but in a long term network game both myself and my mate have both found us switching from wide to narrow formations after a considerable dip in defensive performance.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've noticed 4-4-2's playing with wingers are a lot easier to take apart defensively now than they were previously. Of course the strength ultimately lies in the underlying tactic, but I've found that just by compressing players into the middle so its more of a 4-1-3-2 or 4-3-1-2 there is a much more resolute defensive performance from the team. Perhaps others have noticed it the other way, but in a long term network game both myself and my mate have both found us switching from wide to narrow formations after a considerable dip in defensive performance.

Yes it appears that narrow tactics are the way to go now, but I have also seen a lot of complaints about exploitable space behind full backs.

Every formation has strengths & weaknesses.

Although 442 is perceived to be a balanced formation its weak against teams that have men running between the lines in the AMC and to a lesser extent the DMC strata. It also struggles against formations that aim to outnumber the two MCs in the middle of the park. So it shouldn't be any surprise that you are having success when employing both these strategies against it.

I've managed to get a season and a bit played since the new patch and I posted it earlier and others have mentioned it, but there are far too many goals direct from crosses both for me and against. Pretty much all "bad" crosses or cross cum shots that the keeper either completely misses or deflects into the goal. I have seen three goals in 60 something games that rival Niyam against Seaman in 1995, and 10 or so others that were flukes or awful goalkeeping.

Tactically I try to use opposition instructions to close down the wide men and stop the crosses but that doesn't stop me conceding, and I score at least as often against the AI as they do it to me.

I have noticed one tinty detail that could easily be implemented for FM15:

When I push forward and get a late goal, I sometimes want to swap to a more defensive tactic and add some pressure-relief shouts like Retain Possession (or vice versa I go one down and have to push up and take more risks so I swap to a more aggressive tactic and add the shouts Hassle Opponents and Get Stuck In).

However, I cannot do this in ONE tactical change. If I swap tactics and add new shouts in the same stoppage time, the new shouts are applied to the old tactic and the new tactic remains vanilla, forcing me to use another stoppage time to add those.

Unless I am mistaken there is no option to add shouts to the new tactic that comes into force all at the same time. This would be a welcome addition, for instance by adding a sub-menu trigger that can be found in the quick overview of the three tactics you have with you.

Can't you add shouts in the actual man tactical menu? As in go to advanced tactics, select your new one and then add shouts to that?

Yes of course, but the quick tactical options are there for a reason. They are quicker ;)

It's just annoying that changing tactics and then adding shouts in the quick menu does not work.

I have now played into Nov 13 with Chimney Corner on my 14.3 save and must say the whole game and especially the ME are superb. Not really seen any bugs outside the ME but they could pop up as the save progresses. Just have to live with them if they do.

I do however have 2 gripes:

1.) Injuries: Getting one every game pretty much. It could be because I have semi-pro/intermediate players whos conditioning wont be the same as pro players so they will be more injury prone, but its getting annoying.

2.) Major gripe is with woodworks. A stat was mentioned recently about 0.7 woods per game on average IRL. I personally think that is utter garbage and I don't care where its from, even Opta. I have been watching football for 25yrs and not just the football at the time. Also watched vids of football from the 60's, 70's and 80's from all over the world. The game is always changing but woodwork occurence is not going to change with it. Its probably the same now as it was in the 1920's. In my experience I will guess at woodwork regularity:

**EDITED**

Match with 1 wood: 1 every 10 games, but as frequently as 1 in 7/8 at a push

Match with 2 woods: 1 every 125 games

Match with 3 woods: 1 every 1500 games or 4/5 seasons roughly

Match with 4 woods or more: 1 in a lifetime/career if you're lucky! I wonder if Ferguson ever saw a 4-wood game in his long career?

I do remember a PL game years ago between Fulham and WBA where Fulham hit the post and bar about 4/5 times. Never seen that many in one game before or since. How hard would this be to just make these "woodwork shots" go wide or over?

Other than that its a 9/10 game. Just fix these if they are broken and you are on your way to a masterpiece.

I'm really enjoying the new patch but one thing that is annoying me is the poor passing completion rate from midfielders that are much lower than real life stats. Players with defensive midfield roles seem to be ok but players in transitional and attacking roles seem to be failing to complete too many passes. I'm noticing many passes are massively under hit, especially through balls. Below are the pass completion stats from my games for a selection of top midfielders, The number in bracket is their pass completion rate from this season according to whoscored.com.

Xavi - 74% (93.4%)

Iniesta - 68% (91%)

Fabregas - 71% (87%)

Illaramendi - 72% (88.5%

Modric - 68% (89.6%)

Isco - 62% (87.9%)

Thiago - 66% (91.5%)

Cabaye - 79% (90.5%)

Verratti - 60% (91.4%)

James Rodriguez - 65% (80.4%)

Pogba - 62% (84.7%)

Pirlo - 74% (89.2%)

Vidal - 69% (83.9%)

Hamsik - 64% (85.7%)

Mata - 67% (88.1%)

Hazard - 67% (83%)

Oscar - 73% (82.6%)

Silva - 70% (88.7%)

Nasri - 77% (90.5%)

I don't know how reliable whoscored.com is but looking at these stats, something isn't right. My own players at Liverpool are actually pretty close to real life and some players such as Alonso, Toure and Kroos are as well, though I think they are primarily playing defensive roles. I've not yet looked into other positions yet as it is midfield that has stood out so far.

yes i've pointed this out before. the higher up the pitch you go the less pass completion percentages which makes sense obviously, however, it falls down horribly when compared to actual football and is indicative of the ineffectiveness of attacking midfielders and attacking play in the top third. Where in actual football the higher (and real) passing completion rates enable more fluid more cohesive play FM low completion passing rates translate to the opposite...whilst you can and will see some sporadic good attacking play the issue is its just that...sporadic...you dont see good cohesive build up particularly in the top third. It seems like its at the early stage of development of this offering's engine and technical/mental attributes are not having the necessary/discernible effect they should have to allow pass choice/off the ball movement giving options to enhance build up play in top third...its probably two years away before it gets to that stage where things will be reflective of how it should be

i have noticed sometimes team you are managing can have slightly improved passing rates but there is absolutely an issue with poor completion rates of attacking midfielders/forwards Vs actual football

Not really sure where to ask this, I searched for a Palermo thread and found nothing, I also do not think it is a bug.

So I am playing as Palermo first season and have a very good wage budget of some 270k, I am spending 230k as I write this, the problem I have is the most I can offer any player is 4800.

Now that is for a key player, 4800 is also the max I can offer for a first team player and backup player.

The 4800 seems a bit low for a key player at such a club and also a bit strange as it is the same as I can offer for players of lesser skill, is there some reason as to why I can only offer such a low amount for a club like Palermo?

As you can see there is plenty left in the wage budget.

Not really sure where to ask this, I searched for a Palermo thread and found nothing, I also do not think it is a bug.

So I am playing as Palermo first season and have a very good wage budget of some 270k, I am spending 230k as I write this, the problem I have is the most I can offer any player is 4800.

Now that is for a key player, 4800 is also the max I can offer for a first team player and backup player.

The 4800 seems a bit low for a key player at such a club and also a bit strange as it is the same as I can offer for players of lesser skill, is there some reason as to why I can only offer such a low amount for a club like Palermo?

Could it be to do with the Chairman's hidden attribute of 'interference'?? As in you might have a figure of how much he is worth per week, the Chairman's or Board's is different. Just a guess, but that's the way I've always looked at it. Keeps the mirage that this game makes perfect sense alive. :)

It's a bit annoying as I have some players interested in joining but the agent always gives the same answer, "given the maximum wage available we see no point in discussing a contract" or something along those lines.

I am talking about players that are only getting 6k a week and I can not get them into a Serie B side that are favourites to win the league.

There is a wage cap in Serie B, £4,800 is the max you can offer as per the league rules nothing to do with individual clubs.

There is a wage cap in Serie B, £4,800 is the max you can offer as per the league rules nothing to do with individual clubs.

Ah thanks mate, I was thinking something along those lines as I could not see it being a bug, I checked the rules in Serie B for it but it was not there so I thought I would post here.

Thanks for the answer. :)

I didn't realise that either. Good heads up. :thup: Looking for a new club job soon so will give that one a miss I think.

It really should be entered into the rules section in FM, if it isn't there already. This isn't the first person to ask this, so the information should be made available (or clearer) in-game.

Bloomin hell!

I spent 3 seasons in Serie B and never realised that. :o

Good knowledge. :applause:

It's not listed on the Serie B rules page.

I'm sure this has been brought up more than once earlier in this thread, but I really feel that defending has become largely ineffectual - or maybe it's the attacking which has become totally irresistible. Now, it may be due to my tactical genius (it isn't), but since the latest patch, I've noticed that it's become remarkably, and quite frankly ridiculously, easy to split open a defence and equally as hard to prevent your own defence from being split open themselves. Moreover, most games often end with, say, 5 clear cut chances and even more half chances to each side. It generates seven or eight-goal scorelines on many occasions - and it's not just my team.

The new match engine is very good in some aspects; it's much smoother, allows for better, more realistic football to be played, but the sudden increase defence deficiencies/attacking prowess really detracts from it and sucks all the joy out of the game. It's also a shame that this probably won't be addressed until the next version of Football Manager, as this game is a few (presumably) relatively match engine teaks away from being an excellent one.

I'm having trouble getting a job starting unemployed as a Sunday League manager. I holidayed 7 seasons and then added myself as unemployed and it's been over a year and I can't get an interview. I tried manually applying as well as holidaying.

I have the following leagues loaded:

England (4th tier)

Spain (2nd tier)

Germany (2nd tier)

Italy (2nd tier)

Belgium (1st tier)

Holland (1st tier)

Russia (1st tier)

Ukraine (1st tier)

Serbia (2nd tier)

Portugal (1st tier)

France (2nd tier)

Greece( 1st tier)

Turkey (1st tier)

I know I shouldn't get a job in most of those leagues but before 14.2 I could start like this and get a job in League 2 in England. Now I can't get an interview with semi-professional teams in the Serbian 2nd tier.

I'm having trouble getting a job starting unemployed as a Sunday League manager. I holidayed 7 seasons and then added myself as unemployed and it's been over a year and I can't get an interview. I tried manually applying as well as holidaying.

I have the following leagues loaded:

England (4th tier)

Spain (2nd tier)

Germany (2nd tier)

Italy (2nd tier)

Belgium (1st tier)

Holland (1st tier)

Russia (1st tier)

Ukraine (1st tier)

Serbia (2nd tier)

Portugal (1st tier)

France (2nd tier)

Greece( 1st tier)

Turkey (1st tier)

I know I shouldn't get a job in most of those leagues but before 14.2 I could start like this and get a job in League 2 in England. Now I can't get an interview with semi-professional teams in the Serbian 2nd tier.

That seems reasonable, there are only professional teams in that whole set-up, so they wouldn't be interested in a Sunday leaguer. The Serbian second tier ones would only be interested if you are a Serbian nationality manager, they wouldn't have heard of a non-Serb Sunday leaguer either.

Just experienced a moment that i soon won't forget...

Playing as Everton, first season and we made the Carling Cup final (we had quite an easy run to the final if i'm honest) which was against Davy's Man United.

All very amicable before the game, Davy giving me chat about how i'm doing really well, me saying it means a lot etc.

The game itself is tightly contest affair with Man United just on top.

Goes to Extra Time.

Still no breakthrough.

But....wait! Fellani gives away a silly penalty in the 120 minute!!!!!

Naismith steps up, I'm not looking at the screen, my wife is laughing at me and not just because I'm wearing a suit for the game.....

Bottom corner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Que me dancing around the living room like a manic.

TL DR?

I won the cup final and my wife thinks I'm mental.

Thanks SI for helping me experience this!

Keep up the unbelievable work.

That seems reasonable, there are only professional teams in that whole set-up, so they wouldn't be interested in a Sunday leaguer. The Serbian second tier ones would only be interested if you are a Serbian nationality manager, they wouldn't have heard of a non-Serb Sunday leaguer either.

I am a Serbian nationality manager.

I started again and this time also loaded Skrill North/South and Skrill Premier.

Now I holiday again for a few seasons and since I like to have my game world a certain way before I begin, I tend to have to reload a lot to get the leagues to play out the way I want. So fingers crossed that after I do all that again I can actually get a job...

I am a Serbian nationality manager.

I started again and this time also loaded Skrill North/South and Skrill Premier.

Now I holiday again for a few seasons and since I like to have my game world a certain way before I begin, I tend to have to reload a lot to get the leagues to play out the way I want. So fingers crossed that after I do all that again I can actually get a job...

If you aren't sure you should choose "Automatic" rep when you start.

This will then set your rep to a level that allows you to get a job based on the leagues you have selected.

As the ' x team are not interested in making an offer for y player' been removed from the game?

I have a player who i'm trying to shift, he has clubs interested in him, i offer him out and don't get a response.

In the above situation, how long should i wait before offering him out again? Should i offer him out at a lesser price? Or, should i leave it?

I really hate to trot out the old "it happens every game" moan, but I think I've seen a mishit cross that hits the bar or is tipped away by the keeper in literally every game I've played. I thought it happened slightly too often on the previous patch, but now it's pretty ridiculous.

You've got to be kidding. Still not fixed the Europa League winner rules? These are fundamental basics which shouldn't even need fixing, let alone after 14.3.

For those who should know, but clearly don't: as of 2015, the Europa League winners qualify for the Champions League.

I really hate to trot out the old "it happens every game" moan, but I think I've seen a mishit cross that hits the bar or is tipped away by the keeper in literally every game I've played. I thought it happened slightly too often on the previous patch, but now it's pretty ridiculous.

I struggle not to sigh when I read the phrase "He nearly got lucky with that!"

I struggle not to sigh when I read the phrase "He nearly got lucky with that!"

Yeah, does seem to happen a lot (too much) for me as well; for and against.

You've got to be kidding. Still not fixed the Europa League winner rules? These are fundamental basics which shouldn't even need fixing, let alone after 14.3.

For those who should know, but clearly don't: as of 2015, the Europa League winners qualify for the Champions League.

Easy now. It has been explained before: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/374856-EURO-Cup-victory-does-not-qualify-team-for-next-year-s-Champions-Cup?highlight=europa+league+winners+2015

club money needs fixing. my club is constantly giving me transfer a lot of money every year even though i don't need that much. then as season goes by the finances get worst til May, then the facilities improvements are cancelled because of that, however i still have 40M transfer money to spend. then competitions end and i get around 20M bringing finances up again which would allow the improvements to go on. just move then freaking transfer money to the finances or at least wait until competitions end before checking if there is enough money to continue improving the facilities. this happens every freaking year... facilities are downgrading because of this, if this keeps going on then i will be playing champions league with facilities of a amateur club -.-

club money needs fixing. my club is constantly giving me transfer a lot of money every year even though i don't need that much. then as season goes by the finances get worst til May, then the facilities improvements are cancelled because of that, however i still have 40M transfer money to spend. then competitions end and i get around 20M bringing finances up again which would allow the improvements to go on. just move then freaking transfer money to the finances or at least wait until competitions end before checking if there is enough money to continue improving the facilities. this happens every freaking year... facilities are downgrading because of this, if this keeps going on then i will be playing champions league with facilities of a amateur club -.-

Don't ask for facility upgrades until the day after your last game of the season, that way you will know what you can afford. And save up some pennies for the upgrades. Ignore transfer budgets, take responsibility for what you want to spend any money on. Some chairman are idiots, they're AI.

I don't think you understand how budgets work.

The £40m isn't money the board gives you to spend, it is simply an amount they will allow you to spend out of the bank account. If you spent what they allowed you to your club would be in a much worse state.

Ever since the 14.3 update my game freeze and crash randomly so I need some help with the dmp-file? -anyone?

I´ve done all the things like validate, delete pref-files etc. even reinstalled the game but nothing works...

Ever since the 14.3 update my game freeze and crash randomly so I need some help with the dmp-file? -anyone?

I´ve done all the things like validate, delete pref-files etc. even reinstalled the game but nothing works...

Best to post here: http://community.sigames.com/forumdisplay.php/360-Crashes-Game-Launch-and-Technical-Issues

Don't forget to read the sticky too: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/368873-If-your-FM14-Does-Not-Run-or-Crashes

Yeah, does seem to happen a lot (too much) for me as well; for and against.

Yeah I reported it on I think page 3 or 4 of this thread, I had only played a couple of hours and it stood it badly, I am guessing they did see it in testing, it would be quite hard to miss, I am also guessing that to change it so it was not happening so often would have taken too much code reworking to change it for the update.

It is one of those things that would be nice to have in the game, when it did happen it would cause a reaction from the player(us), maybe head in hands or hands in the air.

As it happens so often the only reaction is "yeah, whatever".

Sorry to interrupt the feedback thread but I wanted to ask a question that didn't really warrant a new thread. I'm just wondering what is this based on? How is it possible for the guy at the top to get about 200,000,000 more 'points' than anyone else... where do they get the numbers from and what is it based on? thanks

I'm sure this has been brought up more than once earlier in this thread, but I really feel that defending has become largely ineffectual - or maybe it's the attacking which has become totally irresistible. Now, it may be due to my tactical genius (it isn't), but since the latest patch, I've noticed that it's become remarkably, and quite frankly ridiculously, easy to split open a defence and equally as hard to prevent your own defence from being split open themselves. Moreover, most games often end with, say, 5 clear cut chances and even more half chances to each side. It generates seven or eight-goal scorelines on many occasions - and it's not just my team.

The new match engine is very good in some aspects; it's much smoother, allows for better, more realistic football to be played, but the sudden increase defence deficiencies/attacking prowess really detracts from it and sucks all the joy out of the game. It's also a shame that this probably won't be addressed until the next version of Football Manager, as this game is a few (presumably) relatively match engine teaks away from being an excellent one.

To further this, some of the results I've been getting have been, quite frankly, ridiculous. For instance, I beat PAOK in a Champions League qualifier 6-2, a total of 11 'clear-cut chances' and 10 'half chances' were made. It doesn't end there. In the home leg, I won 4-2, resulting in a 10-4 aggregate scoreline, an absurd scoreline for the level of football being played. In the group stage, I then beat Bayer Leverkusen by 4 goals to 3. Again, a total of 5 'clear-cut chances' were made and a further 8 'half chances'. This isn't just exclusive to my games. Paços de Ferreria beat AC Milan 4-1 (5-4 on aggregate) in the UCL play-off rounds. That's just the Champions League. In the Premier League, just four weekends in, there has been scorelines such as 6-0, 4-3 and a multitude of 4-0 results.

I decided to make a new save to see if this was a one-off thing. Sadly, little changed. In pre-season (I appreciate, not a competitive game, but the point still stands), I beat a very good Real Sociedad side 6-1; the game accumulated 8 'clear-cut chances' - 5 of which went in favour of the losing side (!) - and 8 'half chances'. I also defeated Boca Juniors 5-2; 10 'clear-cut chances' and 11 'half chances' were created. In the preliminary rounds of the UEFA Champions League, I beat FC Red Bull Salzburg 8-3 on aggregate thanks to a 6-2 second leg win. Olivier Giroud scored four goals. I created 5 'clear-cut chances', but 0 'half chances'. Again, such patterns weren't exclusive to my games: Sociedad beat Lyon 4-3, but still lost 6-4 on aggregate. PSV beat Schalke 4-3 in the first leg. A similar pattern emerged in the Premier League: Hull 5-1 Villa (8 'clear-cut chances', 6 'half chances'), Villa 5-2 Norwich (8 'clear-cut chances', 8 'half chances)

The ease at which teams are split open is quite astonishing. Moreover, the amount of goals which result from through balls through the channel between centre-half and fullback is substantial. Fullbacks rarely track, or even attempt to, a their runner. It's not a one-off thing. This sudden increase in attacking prowess/defensive deficiencies really has sucked all the fun from a very good game. And I believe it to be a result of the new changes to the match engine. Great shame.

So, super small sample size.

I loaded an old save with Basel and conceded in my first game after three or four minutes through an absurdly off-target backpass followed by an equally ridiculous keeper decision. It was the kind of goal that would have made Football Weekly or the Football Ramble if it'd been scored in the Vietnamese fifth division. So I started a new game with Arsenal, had an OG chalked off for a foul - apparently in the time between Bacary Sagna crossing the ball and it bouncing off a defender's ass and into the net, Sagna fouled someone - and eventually won my first friendly 1-0 with another silly own goal.

It didn't look better, it didn't feel better, and none of the non-match engine things I disliked seemed any better. Again, it's a small sample size, but I have almost two hundred hours invested in FM2014 already. Most of those have been spent searching for fun, and I haven't found it. So I'm probably just done with this. I'm not enjoying it and I strongly disagree with the developer's vision for the game.

Edit:

I strongly appreciate that there's both a profanity filter AND moderators changing posts to remove words that triggered the filter. That's definitely something I look for in a forum.

Don't ask for facility upgrades until the day after your last game of the season, that way you will know what you can afford. And save up some pennies for the upgrades. Ignore transfer budgets, take responsibility for what you want to spend any money on. Some chairman are idiots, they're AI.

still doesn't work because upgrades take more then a year... i would save some money if the agents didn't keep asking for more then 50% more wages on every freaking contract renewal or if i could sell my world class players that won champions league but obviously those players aren't even worth hiring for half their price...

After playing half a season with the patch I think that defensive and attacking phases are extremely poor. Defending seems to have got worse since the patch IMO. Nothing seems to make much of a difference. Strategies seem to play the same whether you are on defensive, balanced, counter or attacking I honestly can't see a difference. Get stuck in and hassle opponents seems to play the same as stand off and normal it really seems that one way fits all despite what you actually instruct. Just my opinion but I just feel it's a random mish mash of happenings in games where Crystal Palace will pass the ball around as well as Chelsea or Man City.

I am just going through setting up some mentoring and one of the guys I have been desperate to use as a mentor, (before he leaves at the end of the season), has finally come up in the three options. I immediately click on him and he says......

calmly: What's on your mind then boss?

The conversation has ended.

Now I am having others refuse to work with certain players, and I even have bloke who seems to not want to work with anyone at all, but I have never seen anyone start to have a conversation with me, but me not be able to progress the conversation forward.

Now this bloke is not very happy I will admit, and is probably going to leave on a bossman at the end of the season. The only reason I didn't flog him in the summer is that I like his ppm's and I was hoping that I would get some good transference done between now and when he goes.

At the moment his morale is poor.

His mood is "(complaining to press) wants a new challenge".

His short term plans are "considering his options".

Does this seem buggy? Shouldn't he at least tell me no?

Seems buggy Jimbokav. If he didn't want to talk with you, it should have been the standard "I feel our relationship has broken down....." otherwise he should talk to you.

What you posted looks like he wanted to talk, but you clicked "End Conversation" (or whatever that little button is!) but I'm assuming you didn't?

still doesn't work because upgrades take more then a year... i would save some money if the agents didn't keep asking for more then 50% more wages on every freaking contract renewal or if i could sell my world class players that won champions league but obviously those players aren't even worth hiring for half their price...

If you request the upgrades just after your last game (or after the CL and/or EL European finals if you've been in them that season for the TV money you will get) any agreed upgrades will start pretty soon after as in a few weeks and that's when the cash comes out to pay for them and should be completed by the following Oct/Nov. Upgrades taking longer than a year are rare I think??

Genuinely not wanting to sound a smart arse here, but if you're winning the Champions League and still can't save/make serious money then I don't know what you're doing. I'd argue wheeling/dealing the transfer market is too loaded favourably towards the human player by way of hunting for and getting young players on the cheap, developing them and selling on. Regularly being at the end stages of the CL and the print your money machine that gives on top....??

Selling the Everton player Alcaraz, bids are accepted then i get a message saying that he will only move to a lower club if i continue to pay x amount of his wages.

Fine

But why is it then, when I'm trying to buy Javi Garcia from City, i don't even have the option to ask him to ask City to pay x amount of his frankly ridiculous wages?

I may be wrong but this seems very much like a very useful feature that AI managers have that us human managers don't and it's something that could really help dealing with financial doping.

Is this something that could be added for FM15?

You're being very diplomatic. Defensive lines clearly aren't fit for release (and got significantly worse with the final update) and it is a great shame that this what we're stuck with for the next six months. I shake my head and laugh on a game by game basis every time a defender stands still on the spot or turns/runs away from the attacker. It's just terrible.

Shame as so much of this match engine is superb, but it's ruined by defending.

I saw this a lot in 14.2 but not in 14.3. Maybe I am biased so I don't see when the AI do these mistakes and I score pretty goals, but at least I can say that my defending is excellent. I do concede different types of goals, including defensive mistakes but I am able to recognize them as such. I will look for defensive AI mistakes specifically when I come home from work today.

The only ME peculiarity I can see on a regular basis is the full backs/wing backs who closes down the winger on the ball high up the pitch hesitantly, allowing space to be created behind him. This happens particularly when I play Counter and they go more attacking (playing wider). Then my defending is quite narrow and the decision of closing down is hardcoded and intrinsically bad because he becomes isolated and creates a situation where the winger can just accelerate and the full back reacts slowly to this so he ends up having to catch up (which he usually does, blocking the cross). This situation is also likely what creates the space in the channels between the full backs and defenders - the closing down behaviour of the full backs is performed without the ensurance of proper cover in the space they leave behind.

This calls for separate Width instructions defend/attack more than ever, I suppose. And three defensive lines instead of one; one for each main strata. And improved lateral team movement when defending. Such an improved defensive mechanic would decrease the amount of chances created to something realistic, and consequently the big chance/marginal chance conversion ratios could be rebalanced to real world equivalents.

To further this, some of the results I've been getting have been, quite frankly, ridiculous. For instance, I beat PAOK in a Champions League qualifier 6-2, a total of 11 'clear-cut chances' and 10 'half chances' were made. It doesn't end there. In the home leg, I won 4-2, resulting in a 10-4 aggregate scoreline, an absurd scoreline for the level of football being played. In the group stage, I then beat Bayer Leverkusen by 4 goals to 3. Again, a total of 5 'clear-cut chances' were made and a further 8 'half chances'. This isn't just exclusive to my games. Paços de Ferreria beat AC Milan 4-1 (5-4 on aggregate) in the UCL play-off rounds. That's just the Champions League. In the Premier League, just four weekends in, there has been scorelines such as 6-0, 4-3 and a multitude of 4-0 results.

I decided to make a new save to see if this was a one-off thing. Sadly, little changed. In pre-season (I appreciate, not a competitive game, but the point still stands), I beat a very good Real Sociedad side 6-1; the game accumulated 8 'clear-cut chances' - 5 of which went in favour of the losing side (!) - and 8 'half chances'. I also defeated Boca Juniors 5-2; 10 'clear-cut chances' and 11 'half chances' were created. In the preliminary rounds of the UEFA Champions League, I beat FC Red Bull Salzburg 8-3 on aggregate thanks to a 6-2 second leg win. Olivier Giroud scored four goals. I created 5 'clear-cut chances', but 0 'half chances'. Again, such patterns weren't exclusive to my games: Sociedad beat Lyon 4-3, but still lost 6-4 on aggregate. PSV beat Schalke 4-3 in the first leg. A similar pattern emerged in the Premier League: Hull 5-1 Villa (8 'clear-cut chances', 6 'half chances'), Villa 5-2 Norwich (8 'clear-cut chances', 8 'half chances)

The ease at which teams are split open is quite astonishing. Moreover, the amount of goals which result from through balls through the channel between centre-half and fullback is substantial. Fullbacks rarely track, or even attempt to, a their runner. It's not a one-off thing. This sudden increase in attacking prowess/defensive deficiencies really has sucked all the fun from a very good game. And I believe it to be a result of the new changes to the match engine. Great shame.

Yeah.. they really tried but in my opinion this version is the worst in the last years.. At least from FM 09

Indeed the "too many goals scored " issue is also present in 14.3.

Archived