Football Manager 2014 - Update 14.3.1 Update FEEDBACK THREAD

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

David, you have been warned repeatedly about your attitude. If you are going to keep up the snarky tone, and not post things in the relevant place, then your posts will simply be removed. If you are persistent you will be infracted. Consider this your last warning.

I would say what it is, but it would make no difference. I'll give you a clue though, it isn't the game...

Why dont you tell me what it is then genius! Everything is good. Wel played out chances, more ball possession and the moral is good. And still they shoot in the side netting and at the keeper. Even the players with good composure and finishing.

Why dont you tell me what it is then genius! Everything is good. Wel played out chances, more ball possession and the moral is good. And still they shoot in the side netting and at the keeper. Even the players with good composure and finishing.

Well, my first is in tea, but not in canoe...I'm tactics. But clearly from your posts, you're not going to even begin to accept that as an answer, so what's the point? Interesting you should mention composure, as this is one thing that can suffer if your tactics are putting pressure on your players. But that seems to make too much sense, doesn't it?

even very good players miss in real life, you cant expect to score every time

three penalty shootouts: 34/33, 37/36, 35/34. That's enough evidence for me.

I'm glad to notice that defining what I say as "madness" is not insulting.

I have also played one penalty shootout since the update. Finished 22-21. Others on Facebook are reporting similarly ridiculous scorelines.

I have also played one penalty shootout since the update. Finished 22-21. Others on Facebook are reporting similarly ridiculous scorelines.

If as many examples of these high scoring shoot outs as possible can be uploaded as .pkm files to the Bugs Forum, it will go a long way to getting this resolved for FM15.

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/368795

http://community.sigames.com/forumdisplay.php/365-Match-Engine-3D-and-Team-Talks

even very good players miss in real life, you cant expect to score every time

Yes they do. Thats why I observed for 15 games and ik keeps happening. Every game I am the better team and almost every time they snatch a draw or win by only 1 or 2 chances.

Well, my first is in tea, but not in canoe...I'm tactics. But clearly from your posts, you're not going to even begin to accept that as an answer, so what's the point? Interesting you should mention composure, as this is one thing that can suffer if your tactics are putting pressure on your players. But that seems to make too much sense, doesn't it?

Ok, I want to understand and I want to make it work. So why dont you explain what I have to do to fix this. Then I will try it and if it works I will come back here and congrat you.

Ok, I want to understand and I want to make it work. So why dont you explain what I have to do to fix this. Then I will try it and if it works I will come back here and congrat you.

Well, and I know this is a stretch, but how about you follow the advice of several people who've replied to you already and ask in the correct place - the tactics forum.

The ME in FM14 is the most accurate and authentic digital representation of football I have ever seen. Wide players no longer hesitate when presented with a good opportunity to cross, counter-attacking systems are effective once more and the overall standard of the defending has improved. Goalkeepers act more believably, forwards assigned a support duty now drop back into midfield to receive the ball and it appears the days of 60-goal-a-season strikers has gone.

There are also the little things that impress: the subtle deflections off an outstretched leg as the ball is clipped into the box, the realistic goalmouth scrambles and frantic, last-ditch defensive blocks, the way a goalkeeper will get something on a shot as it skids under his leg and the sheer variety of goals scored. I didn't think that 14.2.2 was a particularly good update if I'm honest, but this is light years ahead of that. Good stuff SI.

POSITIVES

1) I can now play the type of football I enjoy. I like to have a physical presence up front; a big, strong target man in the mould of Duncan Ferguson who can dominate opponents in the air but also bring other players into the game with his back to goal. Target men were very ineffective in FM12 and FM13 and rarely got on the end of crosses. In FM14 the complete opposite is true. A good target man can cause absolute havoc in the opposition penalty area and it looks fantastic. I have just signed Michael Cheek for my Tonbridge side, and he is an absolute monster. He's 6ft 7in, strong as an ox, extremely brave and has already scored some towering headers. He wins everything in the air and is also effective at bringing other attackers into the game. Love it.

2) Wingers are once again an effective weapon both offensively and defensively. While wingers in FM13 were pretty much nuked, FM14's wingers are anything but. They no longer wait for the opposition full-back to catch up and play it out for a corner. They no longer dither on the ball when the easiest option would be to lay it across goal for a simple tap-in, and even attacking wide players now track back to cover defensive runs. Again, this is a superb improvement to the game (especially when you play with a big man up front like me).

3) Countless other elements of the game already alluded to, such as the improved defending and counter-attacking, goalkeeping and general all-round build-up play. The football is now much more considered, much less like a game of pinball and is generally very consistent with the ebb and flow of a real football match. In fact, I scored one goal via the head of my giant number 9, and then saw an identical goal on YouTube featuring the same player! ULTRA REALISM!

NEGATIVES

1) There are still far too many woodwork instances in the game. In one game recently I ht the woodwork four times, and from what I have heard from other people who play the game, the same is true for them. Would it be possible to maybe have a percentage of these woodworks to go slightly high or wide instead? Would it have a dramatic knock-on effect on the rest of the game?

2) I personally haven't experienced many injuries at all, but I do know people who are getting numerous injuries in every game. I've played 12 league games so far and I have had one injury that has resulted in the player missing a few games, but another guy I know has had many. Any chance of looking into this and maybe releasing a hotfix for it?

3) I'm playing as Tonbridge who are actually a very poor side. Despite this, we are currently 4th and challenging for top spot, and I have only lost one game out of 12. Not bad! I have spent a long time devising a couple of tactics that suit my players, and despite setting both of my central defenders to be limited defenders on a defend duty, one of them tends to push up and race out of position for no apparent reason at times, which can leave a lot of space behind him. I have a very balanced midfield with two support players, one defensive player and one attack-minded player, so I'm pretty sure I've nailed it tactically. Is this an issue with the game, or is it something I need to look at tactically. As I said, I win most games I play and I am an experienced FM player, and although FM14 is more challenging than previous games I am still having success with my tactic. So is it tactical or maybe a bug with how inferior defenders follow instructions?

QUESTIONS

1) Well, just one really. I noticed that there was a new build of the game released yesterday, the first since the update. What is the significance of these "new builds", and do they affect my game in any way? Maybe a precursor to a hotfix perhaps (no, I'm not fishing)?

Anyway, great work SI. You have pulled this game out of the fire and I am thoroughly enjoying it. Keep up the good work.

Golden Boot - regarding your questions:

1. Woodwork hits are a bit high, but according to some long-term testing by SI, not excessively so: http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/386143-Football-Manager-2014-Update-14.3.0-Winter-Transfer-Update-FEEDBACK-THREAD?p=9464022&viewfull=1#post9464022

2. With regard to injuries, SIs long-term tests suggest that injuries are less frequent in FM than real life. Your experience shows low incidence rate, but other people report numerous injuries. As ever, the injury posts on the forum are only those who experience the rough end of an injury crisis.

3. Defending is not perfect, but I know the behaviour you are referring to. Tactically, it can be mitigated to extent - primarily based on the formation you use. Do you use a DM? In general terms, a DC will step up to close down an onrushing player. This behaviour is lessened if a DM is in place to make that initial defensive closing down.

As far as the new build thing goes, I have no idea what you are referring to. There is unlikely to be any form of further update to FM14 unless something significant occurs which prevents multiple users from playing.

My two pence worth.

For me this is far superior to fm13 and the early version of fm14. But I still am not sure if I prefer fm12. For me there are lots of really great things with this version, but I shall mention the things I didnt like first. I also should add I am playing the demo of fm14 right now but I believe the full game and demo are the same game. I will also add that I am only 9 games into my season, I am11th and played a few of the big boys already with a few unlucky defeats. (somehow!)

Now the negatives, for me.

The animations on the 3d engine seems to throw up some strange things. For instance, an opponent running at an angle to the left of my goal, just inside the penalty area shoots, my goalkeeper dives to his right but impossibly the ball flies left! Its like a poor collision detection. Secondly, personally, although its alot less than the first released version, the players still remind me of NHL hockey by EA. The players do like to skid around alot!

Another negative would be the fact the players, despite being premier league players, do like to scramble around alot. I.e they have the ball in there area and look to just whack it away, except it hits a teamates head, falls to an opponent, who shoots, it gets blocked, defender then clears, it hits another defender on way out but falls to another defender who clears it. At premier league level I dont remember when I saw that last!

I am not sure if this is tactic based or my players are rubbish but opponent seem pretty lethal. Most games I have been comfortably the better team yet lost or drew when battered them with 3/4 times the amount of CCCs! I will mention here that I play as West Ham and I delighted not to be in a relegation scrap with Andy Carroll like in real life. I also understand that , like in real life, West Ham have struggled for goals all season. The only problem though with that is, West Ham are able to set up very defensive and that is not possible in fm14, I think.

The thing that really grinds my gears though, and I know its only 9 games into the season, is how I have not had 1 match where the ref has been biased towards my team! I dont know if this evens itself out over the season or if its bad luck, but its really frustrating! Bookings are given out like there is no tomorrow! Already had 2 red cards and the way cards are being dished out, some players will be suspended soon!

One other little niggle, but it may be due to the fact I didnt play fm13, is the fact i cant seem to find some things! That either means fm12 had everything perfectly placed or that fm14 has much more detail!

Now the positives. Massive improvement on fm13. A game I just did not get the slightest bit of enjoyment from. The animation, despite what I said earlier, is far more polished. the dirt on the shorts etc is a nice little touch. Its also alot clearer to see things as well on the pitch.

The main menu is really clear with so much important info and anything I need to see is there right in front of me. The transfer system seems improved for me and I love the transfer window on deadline day, lovely feature! (Although I have to be careful as that day takes along time and my demo is prone to random crashes!)

The training seems more realistic. In fm12 I would set up at start of joining club, and apart from when new players joined etc I forgot about it!

FM14, more than anything else, is playable. The game seems to be easier in terms of implementing tactics as well, although this is something In have ALWAYS had trouble with anyway!

All in all, its gone for me, from fm13 unplayable, to fm14 released unplayable, update unplayable, to a game that I can now play and enjoy!!!

Ok, I will try to put something up tonight. Hope to see you there for help.

I wouldn't even begin to attempt to. But then you don't have to know much to advise someone to maybe go and seek help in the right place. I hope you do get the answers you want, and suspect you will,as it'll maybe stop you blaming the game. If it is a bug, fair enough, and hopefully it gets fixed, but best to explore all avenues, eh?

Has anyone noticed issues with throw ins? I'm having a good look at my throw ins during games and noticing that they seem to be ignoring positional instructions. They seem to work fine for when I'm in line with the opposition box or further up, but even slightly deeper than that and players don't seem to do as they're told. Also, for throw ins fairly deep in my own half, my Anchor Man doesn't seem to stay in the DM area like he should be, instead preferring to go quite far up the line (in a similar position to my lone striker).

Also, I notice that setting players to "Come Short" doesn't seem to be actually getting them to come all that short, they tend to stand about 10 yards away and behind an opposition player.

It doesn't seem to be affecting our play too much (for now), but has anyone got any ideas on how to sort this out, if it is possible to sort it out? Does Tactical Familiarity affect set piece instructions at all?

Think I've played enough hours now to give a verdict

The match engine is improved but still some frustrating occurrences

When going a goal up, conceding again within minutes has happened countless times

Goals from crosses are far too common

As has been mentioned, deference is so prone to a ball in behind the full back, cross, goal - happens at least once a game usually more

Still a lot of corners are taken and booted straight out of play

Although it initially felt as though hitting the woodwork had been toned down in latest patch I've noticed after a season and a half I'm hitting the post, opposition also, with what I'd still consider alarming regularity. Over the aforementioned season and a half have been averaging little over 4 times a game and haven't had a match without hitting that blasted woodwork in 39 matches.

Think I saw a comment earlier in the thread regarding this and that the rate had been dropped to 0.7 percent per game. Could it be that something in my tactical set up leans towards the games mechanics hitting the posts (cross bar mainly) more regularly, or is this still a common problem others are experiencing?

Nothing tactically should directly increase woodwork hits.

Arguably if you shoot more, you increase the likelihood of hitting the bar / post than if you shoot less, so I guess there's an argument that set ups regularly generating 20+ shots per game should see more woodwork hits that anything creating 10+ shots per game.

Nothing tactically should directly increase woodwork hits.

Arguably if you shoot more, you increase the likelihood of hitting the bar / post than if you shoot less, so I guess there's an argument that set ups regularly generating 20+ shots per game should see more woodwork hits that anything creating 10+ shots per game.

Sure, that makes complete sense. Am positive with a little fine tuning this particular area could be improved- it certainly doesn't affect the number of goals I score, just gets a little frustrating seeing something which should generate excitement/heartache on such a regular basis.

I can imagine this will be a fine balancing act though - tune it a little too much one way and could see a massive increase in goals, too much the other way and shot after shot will blaze wide.

Quite tricky I suspect.

It often feels like SI code woodwork hits in to give a sense of just how close a shot is to going in.

That definitely won't be the case, as they're obsessive about statistical accuracy.

It's not a stat that personally bothers me in the slightest, but I understand why it miffs some people.

A longshot this but is there any way of starting a new game with the update but without the January transfers?

I've been playing on my current save and love the fixes to the game and match engine. I'd like to start a new save taking these into account from the beginning along with the ca/pa updates, but I've never been keen on starting a game with the squads as they were from January onwards.

A longshot this but is there any way of starting a new game with the update but without the January transfers?

I've been playing on my current save and love the fixes to the game and match engine. I'd like to start a new save taking these into account from the beginning along with the ca/pa updates, but I've never been keen on starting a game with the squads as they were from January onwards.

Yeah, im pretty sure you have the chance to choose the 14.0 database at the start.

Second game I have noticed in the last 3 is kit clashes!

Playing as West Ham, away to Newcastle, we all know they play black and white stripes. The game put me in the away of West Ham. Which is mostly white with a touch of light blue. Lots of white on the pitch, when you consider that Newcastle this season have big stripes of white and black.

Now away Vs West Brom who are playing in a red kit and the ref is dressed in a salmon colour. (quite similar to red!) while west Ham are playing in the dark blue 3rd kit.

Just seems a little odd

Second game I have noticed in the last 3 is kit clashes!

Playing as West Ham, away to Newcastle, we all know they play black and white stripes. The game put me in the away of West Ham. Which is mostly white with a touch of light blue. Lots of white on the pitch, when you consider that Newcastle this season have big stripes of white and black.

Now away Vs West Brom who are playing in a red kit and the ref is dressed in a salmon colour. (quite similar to red!) while west Ham are playing in the dark blue 3rd kit.

Just seems a little odd

Sounds odd, if it happens more frequently, its worth reporting.

I'm really enjoying the new patch but one thing that is annoying me is the poor passing completion rate from midfielders that are much lower than real life stats. Players with defensive midfield roles seem to be ok but players in transitional and attacking roles seem to be failing to complete too many passes. I'm noticing many passes are massively under hit, especially through balls. Below are the pass completion stats from my games for a selection of top midfielders, The number in bracket is their pass completion rate from this season according to whoscored.com.

Xavi - 74% (93.4%)

Iniesta - 68% (91%)

Fabregas - 71% (87%)

Illaramendi - 72% (88.5%

Modric - 68% (89.6%)

Isco - 62% (87.9%)

Thiago - 66% (91.5%)

Cabaye - 79% (90.5%)

Verratti - 60% (91.4%)

James Rodriguez - 65% (80.4%)

Pogba - 62% (84.7%)

Pirlo - 74% (89.2%)

Vidal - 69% (83.9%)

Hamsik - 64% (85.7%)

Mata - 67% (88.1%)

Hazard - 67% (83%)

Oscar - 73% (82.6%)

Silva - 70% (88.7%)

Nasri - 77% (90.5%)

I don't know how reliable whoscored.com is but looking at these stats, something isn't right. My own players at Liverpool are actually pretty close to real life and some players such as Alonso, Toure and Kroos are as well, though I think they are primarily playing defensive roles. I've not yet looked into other positions yet as it is midfield that has stood out so far.

Only 1 complaint from me about the match engine update and I'm sure this will already be pointed out. I have already seen several instances of where a keeper will go out his box to take a free kick and it will fall straight to an opponent to have a shot at an open net from 40 yards. My team have both scored and conceded 1 from this sort of situation and I have seen at least another half a dozen missed.

Anyone else finding the crossing to be really poor?

My wingers get in good positions only to end up hitting the keeper (He almost got lucky with that! style) or hit the side of the goal. It's almost like they don't cross properly, no curl or whip... like a cross where you can't get your foot around the ball enough.

I see more crosses hitting the bar than anything else. In general I feel too many corners and crosses are hit too close to the 'keeper, resulting in excessive bar hits and "he didn't mean it" moments.

Getting a lot of that also.

So will there be a minor update trying to fix issues some have written about or will the community have to wait till FM 15. I really hope SI take it upon themselves to sort this out and try and get the game playing at a proper level. Seems lots of people are experiencing the same problems.

Has anyone else noticed an issue with players not being willing to go to feeder clubs on loan after patching?

I currently have Partizan and Hadjuk as my feeder clubs and players that should be willing and eager to go are just saying no. Doesn't really make sense. :confused: If there is a reason for it, it would be great of they could somehow tell us what it is.

It could be they don't want to move to another Country.

It could be that the facilities are rubbish, (they aren't, they're actually better than mine).

It could be that they think they can force their way into my plans.

It could be something else.

All we get is.... Bla Bla has rejected the loan offer from Bla Bla.

[Edit]

Can I also say that I quite liked the big obvious difference between player sizes in the old ME. I'm not sure if it was too large, but in any case I liked it. It helped identify individual players. (On that note, happy that bald players are showing as bald in the 3d match engine now).

[Edit2]

One last final thing about penalties, (sorry), but nobody ever acknowledged that as well as penalties not being missed at all, and not being saved nearly enough either, (yes I know you know, sorry), but are you aware that far too many games to go penalties in the first place, (which obviously makes matters worse)? (I have no idea how that works, but I have already had a life-time of penalty shoot-outs in my game. Far far far too many games are going to extra time and penalties, (yes I am very well aware that it could be as a result of my tactics).

ps. Do we really need an en masse on the pitch celebration after my Senior team have beaten the U19's in a friendly via penalty shootout? (I do like the effort that has gone into that though, and the feel/look of it).

[Edit3]

I've just completed 2025 pre-season and this is where the goals came from. This is for both Senior and Reserve games. (Just so you know, my AML usually takes pens, but if he isn't playing then nobody else is set).

SC. 11.

DC. 9.

AMR. 7.

AMC. 7.

AML. 6.

OG. 4.

DL. 2.

MC. 1.

Will be realeased a new patch or this one is the last one?

This is it, unless something really massive is found out. All remaining issues and suggestions will have to wait until FM15.

Not once have we played a bug-free product. Miss my $$$

It's true, every computer game released in the last 20 years has had bugs. If we only bought items without bugs, we'd have to find a new hobby :)

I know nobody wants to talk about corners, but there is more wrong than is being acknowledged.

I have just conceded a corner from each of the opening 2 league games of the season so I decided I would work out what was going on and sort it. I honestly believe that there is a tactical workaround for just about everything.

Udinese scored the goal against me as their big SC completely dominated my little AMC to head home at the near post. On the face of it, its seems pretty reasonable. He was always going to win that battle so it's no surprise. Silly me, what was I doing having my little AMC defending at the near post.

Hang on. I didn't tell him to do that. :eek:

Here is what I asked.

DL. Cortinovis. Far post.

DR. Ingo Willie (AUT). Near post.

DC. El Amrani. Mark Tall.

DC. Di Santo (2015). Mark Tall.

DM, Svoboda (CZE). 6 yard box.

MC. Monroy (USA). Edge of area.

AML. Becker (BEL). Stay forward.

AMR. Gaye (SEN/BEL). Stay forward.

AMC. Bianchi (2014) (SMR). Close down corner.

SC. Ayala (ARG). Man mark.

Now as I worked out what happened, what should have happened and what was maybe the reason that things happened, I have realised I have made some mistakes. That doesn't answer/explain all the problems though.

1. Bianchi (2014) (SMR) is meant to be closing down the corner. If it is not to be taken short then he is still meant to be out there trying to affect the trajectory of the delivery as the corner taker tries to miss him. He is actually there just so that of the ball is cleared in that direction, he can intercept the ball before the corner-taker, and hopefully link with my lurker to initiate a counter. What he isn't meant to do is loiter at the near post of all places.

2. I have 1 player man-marking, (my striker). I assume that he was trying, (very poorly it has to be said and that is pretty in line with his marking attribute I must admit), to man-mark his usual marker, the centre-back Kurt Zouma (FRA/CTA). Unfortunately for me, Zouma was also being marked by my centre back Di Santo (2015) who was given the instruction to mark tall player. Di Santo (2015) was following his instructions and so was Ayala (ARG). Unfortunately my muddled instructions made them both mark the same player it seems. In Ayala's defence, his marking is rubbish so God only knows why I have got him marking anyone rather than just covering the 6 yard box and heading clear anything that comes his way. Anyway, that's down to me I suppose.

3. That wasn't the only mistake I made though. My other DM is a huge monster, but he wasn't playing and Svoboda (CZE) is only 5'8" off the top of my head. So asking him to cover the 6 yard area was probably a poor choice when Monroy (USA) who was lurking, is 6'1" and much better suited to either man-marking or covering the 6 yard box.

4. The final thing is the most baffling though. As the ball was delivered to the near post, (good delivery I might add), and it became obvious that poor Bianchi (2014) (SMR) was not gonna get anywhere near it, does someone else try to come and meet the ball? Yes of course they do. Is it the right back Ingo Willie (AUT) who is standing on the near post already and should be able to at least get in front of Gustavo Benitez (ARG/PAR)? No. Did the GK come and try and claim it? Well no not really. Di Di Santo (2015) realise the danger and leave his man and come over to try and put him off? Did either of the 2 guys who are both marking the same player realise that it was overkill and look for another option? No. Cortinovis playing at DL and who is stood on the FAR post comes all the way across the goal-mouth to compete with the attacker in front of the near post, (while everyone else just watches).

Look. I am not moaning that I have conceded 2 corners in 2 games, (and scored one myself). (If anything I am surprised that I didn't concede more due to the shambolic way I was set up). I am not moaning because I am losing, (because I have won both games). I am even not saying that my tactics aren't the problem, (because I can see straight away that I made multiple changes in the run-in last season and forgot to change them back, so actually IT IS MY TACTICS).

But......

What I am saying is that corners are really poor. "Close down corner" should in no way ever be confused with "mark big striker at near post". If the opposition were to have a man over then either so be it, (I still don't want 5'6" Bianchi (2014) (SMR) there whatever else is happening), but there needs to be better decision making somewhere.

In real life, what would have happened?

Well for a start 2 players were seemingly man-marking the same player because of my confuddled instructions. Fine, but at some point don't they realise and one of them look to mark someone else?

Wouldn't the DM covering the 6 yard box pick him up or even drag the "lurker" back to pick him up? No. Let's get the little guy giving away 7" and about 12 points in jumping to mark him.

Even if neither of them happens... Let's just say they are all stupid and didn't realise until it was too late. What still doesn't happen is that the DL defending on the far post doesn't fight his way through the 6 yard box to challenge the striker ahead of the near post.

No no no no no no way. Never in a million years. :herman:

Archived