British Knighthood!

I know im probably being ridiculous but i just thought id put this out there, After a long career and achieving everything there is in football management, how about a wee message from the Queen offering a knighthood for British managers, I just think it would be kinda cool to be known as Sir having done enough to deserve it haha, would be like the icing on the cake, take that Sir Alex, you think your the only one thats special, hahahaha :)

Jus wanna know if anyone else thinks that this would be awesome!!

James.

Probably not a bad idea to be fair. Its just a case of what makes your deserve a Knighthood on the game!

Thats true probably winning a league title in more that one league plus the domestic cups within those leagues and at least one Champions Cup / International World/European Championship i feel would be sufficient.

Significantly boosting the reputation or image of a sport or team is sometimes rewarded with a knighthood - see Ferguson's career in making Manchester United one of the biggest clubs in the world or Chris Hoy's work in significantly raising the profile of cycling in the UK, but it would be nigh on impossible for the game to decide whether what you've done is good work or phenomenal work.

I don't think a footballer has been knighted while he's still playing. I doubt that will change soon.

Even then, knights in football are suitably rare. Sir Alex and I think Sir Bobby Robson the only ones to get knighthoods as a direct result of their work in football. The rest (Sir Bobby Charlton, Sir Trevor Brooking etc) have extensive contributions outside of football which I presume helped their cause.

Doesn't happen. At least, not until much later in life for footballers.

Why not make it an incentive to get to the top of the Hall of Fame or something? It would be a nice achievement.

Sir Bobby and Sir Alex were both knighted while still managers. You're not playing the game as a footballer.

But those are exceedingly rare honours. And maybe a bit unfair for those who use non-British nationalities.

If you get to the top of the Hall of Fame you have exceeded Ferguson anyway. So it being exceedingly rare isn't really an argument against.

Anyway not fussed either way, but it wouldn't be an unrealistic feature.

If you were the manager who finally won England the world cup again, these days you would absolutely, without question get a knighthood imvho. Sir Clive Woodward got one after the rugby. I think it's a great idea to have in the game, I'm all for anything that massages the ego :)

Cricket is a sport that has resulted in a lot of knighthoods. Could be something you get if you get to the top of the HOF or something though, if you're of a commonwealth based nationality.

I think just Brits. I know Canadians aren't allowed to have feudal titles. It's illegal. I would guess most commonwealth countries are the same.

The majority of athletes with 3 or more gold medals gets knighted. I'm sure if England had to win a Euro/WC all the team would be knighted!

I think I'm right in saying that Bobby Charlton is the only member of the 1966 side to get knighted, along with Alf Ramsey of course.

I don't think Australians can get knighted in Britain any more, oddly enough I think an Australian was recently given a French knighthood though.

I'm not 100% sure if they can now, but they could. Sir Donald Bradman is one that comes to mind.

Most Sportsmen, Musicians & Actors are given Knighthood's when they have performed / contributed at the top level of their field for 40+ years.

Usual exceptions to this are when they have used their talents to raise money for charity or humanitarian work. In fact, most Knighthood's are given when charity work is involved as i know that Fergie, Bobby and others are all patrons of many charities.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_Australia

Presented by the Queen of Australia. Since she is Queen of several countries, she can present honours from whichever one she wants, and so follows the logical path that Australians are presented with the Order of Australia. A similar system exists for the Order of Canada award.

Admittedly, since I've been googling, I've since discovered that Don Bradman is actually a Knight Bachelor, which is a British honour.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_Australia

Presented by the Queen of Australia. Since she is Queen of several countries, she can present honours from whichever one she wants, and so follows the logical path that Australians are presented with the Order of Australia. A similar system exists for the Order of Canada award.

Admittedly, since I've been googling, I've since discovered that Don Bradman is actually a Knight Bachelor, which is a British honour.

This is why I never got into politics :p

Archived