LAUREN's Arsenal Thread 2011/2012 - 125 Years of Greatness *sponsored by being BRILLIANT*

goon

• Replies 13.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Kos arguably been our 2nd best player all season behind RVP, far superior to Cahill. Comparing him to PerMer is difficult because they are different type of defenders, it's like comparing Crouch to Defoe, completely different role in the same position.

I just cba arguing with people, I'll see your opinion, and people know mine. Of course the result today has annoyed me, but nothing will be/can be done (in regards to management, transfers) till the end of the season, so I (or we) may as well just sit it back and remain positive so the team isn't even more demoralised.

You're wrong, something can be done at management level now, why would you say otherwise??

It was meant like nothing will be done to management, nothing can be done to transfers, didn't type it out very well.

Dont think they want you either... In fact Im sure they want you less than you want them :thup:

Pretty much the last club either of them would go to.

Wait hold on here, you think Rafa Benitez wouldn't jizz in his pants if he got offered the Arsenal job. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

He was linked to the Aston Villa job a while back. ASTON VILLA FFS.

Arsenal are above Benitez atm not the other way around as you may think.

We can take solace that no matter who we have managing our club at least we never had Bryan Robson or Gareth Southgate. I mean we're a joke but not a total laughing stock.

If we had bought Alfonso Alves that time we went to Boro we would have won a trophy by now for sure. He was a bargain.

• SI Staff

Saying Frimpong is disloyal because hes gone out on loan ffs and that he should be ashamed for abusing a loyal fan, so what about your abusive messages to various Arsenal players on twitter then Piers?

Didn't watch the game tonight but a bit shocked at the reports that Arsenal were really poor. After Wenger criticised his players after the Milan match (something he, and any other good manager, rarely does) I really expected them to come through tonight...even if not a win, probs a draw at best...but definitely a great performance. All I'm reading everywhere is that Arsenal were woeful and didn't seem up for it (again, I didn't see the match so am just commenting on what I read).

I'm certain Wenger is a great manager - he's done so much for the Arsenal. But this must surely show that something deep down is wrong. I imahine he'll be there until summer, but after that it is maybe a time for change. Not sure who would be able to turn them around though, especially after following one of the best managers of your club.

Have to say though - and you gooners can surely grant me this - that it is fantastic for us Spurs fans seeing this - you've been ahead of us all my lifetime - and deservedly so the way we've been run up until the last few years - but it must be worrying times at the moment.

We only have to look at the past few seasons to see he isn't what he once was.

He has made many mistakes, I often find myself wondering whether other world class managers would ever take the risk of not spending when you must etc. The club is declining and Wenger is one of the reasons because of this. He had his great years but he's now entered his dark years.

I would like to see a new manager to get a fresh start to getting back to the top again.

Don't mean to state the obvious here but really, do people understand just how much V Persie is in a different league to the rest of the team? Even today which wasn't a great performance from him, he showed it with very small things. His touch, ability to retain possession in tight pressurised situations, movement, vision, ability to pick a pass. Like I said, very small details, but this is the difference between good and great.

What I mean is when we had Fabregas, potentially Nasri, and Wilshere, these were other players who had these qualities and were on the same wavelength. An example is Arshavin's goal against Barca last season. 999 players out of a 1000 don't turn in one movement and pick the pass to Nasri like Fabregas did in that move. Pretty simple really, but that's the difference.

Apart from all the other problems, I've noticed instances like this so many times this season where Ramsay, Rosicky, Arteta, Walcott etc etc just don't have that extra bit at that decisive moment and its cost us.

Saying Frimpong is disloyal because hes gone out on loan ffs and that he should be ashamed for abusing a loyal fan, so what about your abusive messages to various Arsenal players on twitter then Piers?

its ok he's allowed to do that because he has 4 season tickets.

Really tempted to go for a full onslaught at piers and get myself banned from twitter

Wait hold on here, you think Rafa Benitez wouldn't jizz in his pants if he got offered the Arsenal job. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

He was linked to the Aston Villa job a while back. ASTON VILLA FFS.

Arsenal are above Benitez atm not the other way around as you may think.

So was Ancelotti. By your terrible logic, is Ancelotti 'below' Arsenal because he was linked with Villa?

I'm sure no-one needs to remind you of Rafa's managerial record.

The only way Wenger/the club can save itself from a spell of mediocrity is by a huge clear out in the summer coupled with huge investment. Do I think this will happen with Wenger/this board;not really.

And if neither Wenger nor the board will do it, then what should happen?

And if neither Wenger nor the board will do it, then what should happen?

Not sure that is relevant as nothing will happen. If neither of those make efforts to change, or create some success, then the negative feeling continues to build and the end result of that is horrendous.

As a Sunderland fan I'm obviously thrlled to go through, but as some one who has admired Aresnal from the outside and the way they play I must say i'm slightly saddened. I can't se there not being any money I mean how much have Arsenal made over the years in transfers alone by selling off Cesc, Nasri, Clichy, Adebayor, Toure, Henry. Not to mention th year on year rofits they are making. It can#t possibly be Wengers stuborness can it?

The most disappointing thing I see with Arsenal as an outsider is the decline of the style of football played, I remember Arsenal pinging the ball about so accurately and quickly it wold mesmerise teams, now though it seems so pedestrian and directionless. Sorry if it sounds like kicking Arsenal when they are down, but it seems so surreal the decline Arsenal is taking.

Interesting fact on the bbc website stating that Arsenal allowed a combined 6 shots on goal against Milan and Sunderland and conceded 6 goals....

Hard to know what to make of that, I haven't seen the Sunderland game but you can't blame Szczesny for any of the goals shot stopping wise against Milan, and 6 shots in two games is pretty good going by the defence not allowing strikers to get shots away, I'm not really sure who it's criticising.

It isn't necessarily criticising anyone. Although maybe if you allow six clear cut chances on goal, it's actually worse than letting your opponents have 15 half-chances.

It's the problem with stats, they appear to indicate something but rarely do.

I recall ac milan having opportunities, and opportunities doesnt have to mean shots on goal, stats like that rarely mean anything because milan had they picked the right ball on some occassions we would have lost by 6 or 7.

Im distraught that the days of us dominating games against any opposition because it meant the opposition had minimal chances (baf thrcounter attack) we used to keep the ball do well :(

the Piers Morgan 'I've been an Arsenal fan for 42 years" screams bollocks to me because he has the spoiled glory hunting mentality of a fan that started supporting in 03/04, by his logic he'd have been a fan in the early 80's, 90's etc so surely would be used to years of trophy-less periods, bad times at the club etc like a few of the older guys on here.

The problem that a lot of fans have, imo, is that the board clearly have NO respect for the fans. They forget who really keeps the club running, the fans. We have no idea what's going on, we have no idea if our concerns are being heard, we have no idea what they plan to do about our decline...they're silent and hidden.

Seriously, the board belong in an Eastern European Communist regime from the 70's with their levels of secrecy.

The problem that a lot of fans have, imo, is that the board clearly have NO respect for the fans. They forget who really keeps the club running, the fans. We have no idea what's going on, we have no idea if our concerns are being heard, we have no idea what they plan to do about our decline...they're silent and hidden.

Seriously, the board belong in an Eastern European Communist regime from the 70's with their levels of secrecy.

Or North Korea. Take your pick.

the Piers Morgan 'I've been an Arsenal fan for 42 years" screams bollocks to me because he has the spoiled glory hunting mentality of a fan that started supporting in 03/04, by his logic he'd have been a fan in the early 80's, 90's etc so surely would be used to years of trophy-less periods, bad times at the club etc like a few of the older guys on here.

Absolutely. If he has supported us for 42 years then for the first 30 years he was just a nominal fan who merely responded "Arsenal" when someone asked him who he supported.

So was Ancelotti. By your terrible logic, is Ancelotti 'below' Arsenal because he was linked with Villa?

Ancelotti actually said he was waiting on the Spurs or Arsenal job though tbf after he joined PSG.

We're Arsenal though, we still have a great rep, I'm sure there's quite a few quality managers out there who'd like to turn things around for this club. Anyone who says we can't attract good managers is in denial.

I couldn't see Guardiola achieving anything close to what he has at Barcelona at any other club. Obviously he's an outstanding coach, but a huge part of his success surely comes down to who he is/what he represents both to the fans in Barcelona and to the players who have grown through the academy there while Guardiola was playing only to be following in his footsteps while he is manager himself.

It may be terrible logic but its true and Ancelotti wasn't linked to the same level Rafa was.

Despite Rafa's success, its in recent times he has failed. He took over an Inter side that had won the treble the season before, I'm sure you don't need to be reminded of his job at Inter.

you don't need him to win 12 out of 15 trophies or whatever insane he has achieved to turn you around though. when he came into barca they were on a downward slope with a poor mentality with the likes of ronaldinho, deco etc. he turned that around completely. of course you have nowhere near the same squad to do the things he asks for at barca but still.

Agree, it sickens me when people give Pep no credit because of the squad he had. He is a fantastic manager, if he manages to win the champions league this season that will be 3 in a row. THREE!!!!!!

EDIT - Not 3 in a row but 3 in 4 years is still mighty.

Archived