Your country's worst performance

CaptainPlanet

With phrases like "this is the worst I've ever seen" being bounded around, what is the worst team performance you've seen your country play out?

And does final score erase all memories of poor performances?

TBH, I think us against Greece with Beckham's last minute goal was one of the worse 90 minutes I've ever witnessed. Even though it was an important result, it was horrific to watch.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hard to remember every England game I have seen tbh, as getting beaten in most matches usually brings back memories of playing bad even if they didn't. Would probably have to go for the overall 90 mins, last night's game. We looked desperate, lazy and extremely un-creative (not a word but I don't care :D)

in terms of the World Cup Finals:

Scotland 0-1 Costa Rica or Scotland 0-3 Morocco. Wasn't around when we played Peru or Iran in 78

if it's involving the qualifers:

far too many to mention as a Scotland fan :( probably either Moldova 1-1 Scotland or possibly the 4-0 hammering away to Norway. I think the Faroes games were in the Euro qualifers weren't they ;)

in terms of the World Cup Finals:

Scotland 0-1 Costa Rica or Scotland 0-3 Morocco. Wasn't around when we played Peru or Iran when we played them in 78

if it's involving the qualifers:

far too many to mention as a Scotland fan :( probably either Moldova 1-1 Scotland or possibly the 4-0 hammering away to Norway. I think the Faroes games were in the Euro qualifers weren't they ;)

the belarus game at hampden was quite the shocker as well. i know we were pretty much pumped in terms of qualifying, but was still awful.

scotland have far too many games to choose from :(

the 2-0 Georgia game was another when we were expecting a possible qualification as well :D I actually bought the shirt we wore that night (the red one with the gold trim) pretty much a loser top despite not being that bad a looking top

If it's in the World Cup, Brazil's worst performance I've seen was probably the 0-3 defeat vs France in the 1998 World Cup final.

But outside the WC there were many, like the 0-2 defeat vs Honduras in Copa América 2001, the 0-0 home draws against Bolivia, Colombia and Venezuela in the 2010 WC Quals, and some Confederations Cup games in the early to mid 2000s.

Weren't they all awful in the 98 final because they were worried that Ronaldo was going to drop down dead?

Largely yes, the team was too lost, Ronaldo was not supposed to play the game, then a last minute decision made him play...

England v Germany last game at Wembley (Southgate used in midfield :D ) or England v Algeria last night. I think it's last night because it's the first game where about half way through I just couldn't be arsed anymore and would have liked to have seen us lose just for the drama afterwards.

If it's in the World Cup, Brazil's worst performance I've seen was probably the 0-3 defeat vs France in the 1998 World Cup final.

The drama before that game was amazing, was gutted Ronaldo wasn't starting (word was he had a fit the night before in the hotel) as he was my hero, then he was starting, then he wasn't, then he was again. As Razzler said many believe it was due to Nike putting pressure on the Brazilian FA since they have so much power in that region. Did the real story ever come out?

The drama before that game was amazing, was gutted Ronaldo wasn't starting (word was he had a fit the night before in the hotel) as he was my hero, then he was starting, then he wasn't, then he was again. As Razzler said many believe it was due to Nike putting pressure on the Brazilian FA since they have so much power in that region. Did the real story ever come out?

There are only lots of different people saying different things about what happened, but there is no official explanation about this yet.

Here in Brazil there are conspiracy theories too that Brazil were made to lose by Nike, and some say that in exchange for that Brazil won in 2002.

Frst-half vs Andorra away during Euro 2008 qualifying was absolutely shocking. Thankfully rescued by Gerrard.

Think you'll have to go someway to topple last night's shocker against Algeria though.

Worst England game i can remember was when we lost 2-0 in Norway under Graham Taylor. Not only completely ineffective up front, but we were outpassed by what was a side that played direct to a target-man most of the time. They ended up as one of the most blunt sides at USA 94 but they absolutely battered us that night, was shameful.

Worst England game i can remember was when we lost 2-0 in Norway under Graham Taylor. Not only completely ineffective up front, but we were outpassed by what was a side that played direct to a target-man most of the time. They ended up as one of the most blunt sides at USA 94 but they absolutely battered us that night, was shameful.

That Norway was pretty decent, they even beat Brazil twice too, 4-2 in a friendly in 1997 and 2-1 in the 1998 WC and were eliminated in the Round of 16.

Brazil still haven't managed to beat Norway...

Flo hatrick right? Iversen and Solskjaer around at the same time, very handy strike force.

Two goals by Flo apparently, the other two by Ostentad and some "Rudi".

At least it was the good Flo that gave you trouble though, we couldn't handle the rubbish older brother, Jostein. Take this from his wikipedia page...

At club level he usually played centre-forward. For the national team he played right winger, and was instrumental for the tactics applied by former Norway coach Egil Olsen. Playing a characteristic 4-5-1 formation, the left back would often hit long crosses to Flo, who in turn would head the ball to either one of the central midfielders or to the striker.

This was known as the Flo Pass, and the Norwegian national team garnered much criticism for its perceived long-ball approach. Egil Olsen did, however, take the national team to two World Cups, and the long ball style of play is considered to have played an important role in accomplishing this.

:(

Wales 1-5 Slovakia. 2006.

Needed a win to get in contention or at least give us a shot at qualification. Was expectant of a good fight and maybe even getting the win. Was Paul Jones 50th game so he had a welsh dragon in his hair with 50 either side, he goes on to make a few errors and we lost 5-1 just getting completely outplayed all over the park. No fight what so ever, no talent, no skill, just awful. Even worse was there was about 25k people there in a 75k stadium. 2nd half consisted of me and my mate taking random photos for myspace which was all the rage back then. absolutely crap.

Paul Jones haircut

Archived