• Paul Robinson
    • Ben Foster
    • Chris Kirkland
    • Manuel Almuuuuuunnniaaaaa
    • Ross Turnbull

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, was gonna say, 'no experience' aside he's a confident fecker.

Going into this I really don't know who is gonna be in goal for us come the Yank game, shades of '82!! (we rotated Shilton and Clemence in the build up to the tournament) ... I have a feeling it'll be James but the other day was his first start in 13 months for England ... surely leans towards Green unless he goes bold and picks Hart, which I just don't see ... if he had so little faith in Green I am sure he'd have looked at someone like Robinson instead

Yeah, was gonna say, 'no experience' aside he's a confident fecker.

Going into this I really don't know who is gonna be in goal for us come the Yank game, shades of '82!! (we rotated Shilton and Clemence in the build up to the tournament) ... I have a feeling it'll be James but the other day was his first start in 13 months for England ... surely leans towards Green unless he goes bold and picks Hart, which I just don't see ... if he had so little faith in Green I am sure he'd have looked at someone like Robinson instead

I don't think we've had as good a young goalkeeper as Hart, since Robinson in his Leeds days- I thought he was going to a be a top top keeper back then.

Many of the best keepers have that confident swagger, Robbo never had it, Hart has all the ingredients I believe. Please be bold Fabio :)

• 2 weeks later...
Green. We've got to keep him on, could be potentially very damaging to drop him at this early stage.

he shouldn't of been picked in the first place. But now he has and he has made this mistake its probably better to keep him on grounds hes probably going to be much more keen not to screw up.

if hart was the same age as green he'd be our number 1 already. hes done nothing wrong and when ive seen him looks better that james and green.

i go along with the others who say he'll be number 1 after the world cup and capello may not want to risk it right now. if it was hart who made the mistake last night then im sure a lot of blame would be put on capello for playing the most inexperienced keeper, hes clearly not mature enough for the role etc....

i'd put hart in right now though as i think hes our best keeper and age doesnt matter for other positions so it wouldnt bother me for GK, except for the argument of inexperience, so no i wouldnt! but i'd want to.

James won't be around for much longer, we need to move away from a short-term solution and address the problem once and for all.

Hart has time on his side and clearly has some ability, he should be given an extended run to show if he can make the step up. If he does, then give it to him and stop fannying around rotating 'keepers every other game.

We can't address the problem if we don't have any good keepers. We don't want to have rubbish keepers!

I hope Joe Hart can play first team football in the Prem and Europe for City or Arsenal or someone else. Hopefully Ben Foster can bloom away from the glare of United and the thought that any mistake means he's out of the team. Then we'd have 2 decent keepers there with Hart being number 1 and the likes of Robinson still around.

Personally I'd have taken Robinson over Green for this.

Unfortunately the likes of Kirkland are made of glass and won't play for England

Trouble is if he changes and then there's another mistake of some kind you've backed yourself into a corner meaning you'd change again. Big chance Green will play again, the fact it's 'only' (famous last words) Algeria means he shouldn't, in theory, be facing shot after shot after shot but he wasn't against the Yanks either tbf.

They may cause problems from set pieces though, got some big guys at the back coming up, he needs people to not get on his back even though it was an shocking error of shocking proportions and I had no faith in him and now have less. Hopefully the defence isn't feeling all jittery about having him behind them as that could lead to more mix ups

Trouble is if he changes and then there's another mistake of some kind you've backed yourself into a corner meaning you'd change again. Big chance Green will play again, the fact it's 'only' (famous last words) Algeria means he shouldn't, in theory, be facing shot after shot after shot but he wasn't against the Yanks either tbf.

he's fine facing shot after shot after shot, but as shown against the US he's not so great when he has nothing to do for a while, his awareness, positioning, and anticipation are poor.

I am never comfortable with keepers being described as 'good shot stoppers' ... that's the minimum requirement tbh. "He's great at crosses but his weakness is facing shot".

I think James' main problem is when he doesn't have to do something for a while, then when he is faced with a decision he makes a stupid one, like running 40 yards out to clear a ball the defender is taking care of. I don't think Green is as bad at doing that but I feel he's more likely to palm a ball out to an on-running attacker

Yeah, he had me cringing, he'd obviously made the mistake and he did a 'I have made a decision and I am gonna stick by it' thing, luckily he made it and it was in the corner anyway. I was behind my fingers though as it was very James-esque!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived