• David James
    • Robert Green
    • Joe Hart
    • Paul Robinson
    • Ben Foster
    • Chris Kirkland
    • Manuel Almuuuuuunnniaaaaa
    • Ross Turnbull

Being discussed in the england thread, but everyobdy loves a poll. Not sure how long ago we had this thread, but given Green's performance last night and James' performance all season, who would you like to see in goal come the world cup? Experience or quality? I'd go for Hart myself, or at least give him a go in the friendlies.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I put Joe Hart even though there's no chance of it happening. Crying out for a keeper to be actually good for 10 years, be nice if Hart plays first team football with a team in Europe, go on, Arsenal, sign him.

It's obviously gonna be between James and Green and I'd take James out of those two, shocking as that seems considering James' well known problems with paying attention.

It's a bit late to be shoe-horning Hart even into friendlies. I'd take him to the World Cup though and Robinson over Green as it stands, that's how pitiful Green has been. Not gonna happen though. If James is number 1 and got injured I would rather Hart come on than Green but Green has been getting the friendlies recently :/

James. No doubt about it.

The man knows what he is doing, more of a leader than you would get out of Hart.

Not sure Hart is really up for the challenge of the WC. Maybe next time.

I put Joe Hart even though there's no chance of it happening. Crying out for a keeper to be actually good for 10 years, be nice if Hart plays first team football with a team in Europe, go on, Arsenal, sign him.

This times 100. Have been hoping for a Hart call-up for a long time now, if he doesn't even make the plane, i'll be furious.

Hart still needs a year or two for me, especially after his ridiculous antics meaning he missed out on the euro u21 final

Yeah he needs a few more years because he got booked trying to put off the penalty takers in a semi final penalty shoot out, which there's no rules against doing, he was stood on his line shouting. Lets just ignore the penalties he saved in that shoot out and the actual penalty he scored in it, its not as if you need any of those qualities in a World Cup

had the ref not already told him before the booking? if not then i'm making things up in my head :confused:

He came off his line as the penalty taker was coming to put the ball down and the referee told him to get back on his line and stay there. A few penalties later he started waving his arms about and shouting at the the taker stood on his line and the referee booked him for it

What others have said, James now, Hart for the future. Green would be the third goalkeeper, and I'd have him as James's back up, depending on the situation (high pressure- Green, chance to settle in first- Hart).

Quick nod to Ben Foster, eh, a guy that at the start of the season people thought may get a chance with England, VdS injured for United so finally would get some games but just doesn't look the part, does too many simple things wrong and basically no one is even whispering his name anymore. Needs to play though, wonder if he'll go on loan somewhere again

He came off his line as the penalty taker was coming to put the ball down and the referee told him to get back on his line and stay there. A few penalties later he started waving his arms about and shouting at the the taker stood on his line and the referee booked him for it

ah ok i'm with you now, thought the word in his ear was for the same thing previously instead of wandering from his line

James for the World Cup. Hart for the Euro Campaign.

If anyone votes Ross Turnbull over all them they need shooting :D He shouldn't be anywhere near this list.

I think he's supposed to be the "comedy" entry.

It's difficult. Most of the 'keepers above are nearly there. I voted Almunia as a joke but I wish I didn't now :D

I'd probably take the following:

David James

Paul Robinson

Chris Kirkland

Two experienced players in there and Kirkland has quietly had a terrific season at Wigan this year. Hart is close, but I think he needs another season or so. As much as I don't fully trust any of the above, I'd equally have qualms about taking Hart who has only played two full season in the Premier League at most. For me, that's not enough to get into the squad let alone #1.

I'll say James for tradition's sake but I have no idea really.

Quick nod to those of us who called him useless before the start of the season and thought and continue to believe he should be nowhere near an England squad :thup:

:nod:

It was more hope that there can be a decent English keeper playing for a team at the top level of football more than anything tbh

Green is solid and rarely makes a stupid mistake. However he isn't the best goalkeeper we have. I voted for Joe Hart, he's young, got some experience under his belt and if it wasn't for Shay Given would be playing for a CL place chasing team. He's our best gk for me :thup:

Archived