Semi Final 1 - Portugal VS Wales #PORWAL

Baptista_8

Ronaldo-listicle-AP.jpg

gareth-bale-scores-again-as-council-renames-itself-after-euro-2016-star-136406909704403901-160621130001.jpg

Portugal team news:

Pepe is an injury doubt

William Carvalho is suspended

Raphael Guerreiro has recovered from injury and is available for selection

Wales team news:

Ben Davies and Aaron Ramsey are suspended

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel like Ramsey has been both immense & key for Wales so far and will be a big miss for them :(

That said I don't think Bale has really played that well so far, hoping he'll rise to the occasion with a big performance.

I just really hope the winner of this wins the final. Both these teams play good. With Ramsey injured and Pepe a big doubt both teams could be missing their 2nd best player so we'll see who copes best.

Portugal may be frail at the back without Pepe.

Fair point. That position is a bit of a worry for the Portuguese actually...great youngsters coming through in pretty much all other positions, but in this squad you have:

Pepe - 33

Jose Fonte - 32

Bruno Alves - 34

Ricardo Carvalho - 38

Not sure whether they have many prospects coming through in the position.

Didn't see Pepe was an injury doubt until today, not sure I like either of the other options defending in space against Bale-led counters.

Do we know who Wales are bringing in for Davies yet? Because if it's Collins I worry about a Collins/Williams/Chester back 3 against the speed of Nani and Ronaldo (even if neither of them are natural strikers).

I think Ronaldo will really turn up today. If he turns in a sub-par performance (which is consistent with his tournament so far), the media will start plotting his media and will start touting Bale as Real's best player.

Ronaldo being the media hungry narcissist would loathe to put himself in that position.

Fair point. That position is a bit of a worry for the Portuguese actually...great youngsters coming through in pretty much all other positions, but in this squad you have:

Pepe - 33

Jose Fonte - 32

Bruno Alves - 34

Ricardo Carvalho - 38

Not sure whether they have many prospects coming through in the position.

Nope.

There's Paulo Oliveira (was looking good but then got progressively relegated to 4th/5th choice at Sporting), Tiago Ilori (where is he even playing, he disappeared since moving to England), Ruben Semedo (first choice at Sporting now but he's very unconvincing), Tobias Figueiredo (who's also at Sporting, behind Oliveira and Semedo in the pecking order and not as good as neither), Ruben Vezo (I'm not sure he's been anywhere near a starting spot at Valencia recently), and... uhhh.. I'm struggling to think of anyone else.

We're royally screwed in this position and don't be surprised if in 2 years time the duo is still Pepe/Fonte, or Danilo Pereira out of position, or Neto of Zenit who's not that good neither and also aging.

Meanwhile in the coming years we'd be able to pack the midfields for 3 different teams.

Renato Sanches

Danilo

Ruben Neves

João Mário

Adrien Silva

William Carvalho

André Gomes

Bernardo Silva

Bruno Fernandes

Pizzi

Sérgio Oliveira

Rafa Silva

Raphael Guzzo

Rony Lopes

João Carlos Teixeira

Tomás Podstawski

Francisco Ramos

And I'm sure I'm forgetting someone.

Ilori isn't really good it seems. Liverpool sent him on loan to Villa where he didn't play a single game and got recalled. Struggled in a cup game vs League Two Exeter and hasn't been seen since. There is a good chance that he will leave this summer.

Joao Teixeira looked pretty good but it seems like Liverpool let him go after his contract expired so good luck to him wherever he ends up. Certainly has the talent but he's already 23. If he was still 18/19, he would have become a future star.

As much as I want us to win, today is going to be incredibly hard to pull off. If Portugal actually decide to turn up and play in the tournament for a change, we're in trouble. Hopefully they'll be as disorganised and lacklustre as they have been in other matches and we pull it off.

Rather conflicted ahead of this game. I would really like Wales to reach the final but I keep coming back to the thought that such a remarkable feat will have little to no impact on the domestic game & if that turns out to be the case it's such a shame.

Archived