So what are people thinking about training?

I've only just started playing around with it myself. There's a lot I can't grasp at the moment but I'm glad something has been done about it after years of neglect.

I imagine the next couple of years will see it built on and refined but its definitely a promising new feature in my opinion.

Now the dust has settled a bit what is everyone thinking?

Really enjoyed the concepts to date and customization and personalization. Interface a bit clunky, but could be simply newness. 

Have mot progressed near far enough to measure results of what I’m doing. My plan has been to simplify our focus on a few key areas at all three levels. 

It's very intimidating (yes, for a player with 12+ years of FM experience, who remembers old crazy training). For now, hired the best assistant I can afford and he's in charge. Plan to experiment with it later, probably with some lower-league save.

16 minutes ago, Xeewaj Q. said:

It's very intimidating (yes, for a player with 12+ years of FM experience, who remembers old crazy training). For now, hired the best assistant I can afford and he's in charge. Plan to experiment with it later, probably with some lower-league save.

Same here. I have made sure he is training the modified generic tactical style team plays and added the odd extra curricular but nothing more yet. Players, particularly the promising younger ones doing well in training so far.... looks a Todd revamp module to build on going forward.

I leave it to my assistant just like every other year.
The system couldn't make me interested in doing it myself, on the contrary, it made me walk away from it even more... (which is no issue for me, I don't dislike the game because of it)

But I do like the new feedback system, so in the end, the system is better for me: I still don't do it myself, but the feedback is nice :)

okay so i have run 7 general sessions in a row (covers pretty much all attributes) then 7 outfield sessions (again covers 70% of attributes) then  1 attacking 1 defending 1 general tactical and 1 possession 

after 1 season at newcastle training level is between 7.5-9 permanently with the 11 under 23yr old brazilians progressing very well

2 hours ago, private pyle said:

I just leave it to the AM

while although this thread is still very new, i've seen other forums ask about feedback on (or asking how to use) training, and so far the majority answer is "just leave it for the Assistant Manager".  i think it's really disappointing that this seems to be the overriding sentiment regarding this new training setup, because it implies that this training setup (meant to be more representative of true real-life training regimes, and to give players greater and more refined control on how their team develops) is a failure

it's sad that everyone seems so intimidated by its complexity that no one seems to want to figure out how best to utilise it.  and i say that being one of those very people who is intimidated by it!  i also say that not meaning to call out anyone who takes the view of leaving training to the assistant since that is very much a valid way of dealing with training.  i just find it sad that so far, on this forum and others, most people don't seem to want to make use of this new feature at all, which (in my mind) implies it's a redundant  feature if so many don't use it

but!  i'm very excited at the prospect of being able to refine how my team is training to focus on very specific playstyles or weaknesses.  and while it may take a lot of trial and even more error, i really look forward to figuring out how best to setup my weekly training schedules, and i hope that eventually more of the community manage to work out how to use this new setup rather than just let the AI assistant do it (and by this i don't mean copy a formulaic one-size-fits-all guide that someone posts, because that turns the game into preset solutions rather than an organic management experience)

to answer the original question directly, i like how specific the training is - no more generic "attacking" training

i like how you can assign training groups (i think a very old iteration, championship manager?  or fifa manager? used to have training groups) - can now make sure my defenders have more defensive focus than my attackers

i like the inclusion of community or team building sessions - really makes the players feel more human

i like that there's more match specific tactics preview and review - really makes match preparation and post-analysis feel real

I love the system! 

Normally I leave the basics to my AM and then tweak it around extensively. This gives me a good first glimpse of things the system deems worthwhile for tactical styles and how to vary schedules. I know myself and would probably stick to generics, completely under- or overwork my team or forget some areas entirely. 

This way I also have something to two every other weak without having to start completely blank, helping the gameflow while also making the week more interesting. Sure, sometimes essentially everything changes but it still feels good to have a base to work with :)

Just too bad my traing grounds are too bad for the current level of my players, meaning the training does not really help right now. Here's praying that after that darn election my new chairman is generous! 

I'm giving it a bash, trying to keep it varied so the players get a bit of everything and don't get bored, not been playing enough to see if what I'm doing is right, still playing around with the game, trying out tactics and still looking at finding players.

In general I leave it to the AM, but is is very easy to change schedules and sometimes when I think for example the team should train more free kicks or defending corners I'm doing that.

I'm leaving most training to my AM, except for tweaks as sometimes with multiple matches in a week he seems to get confused doing no recovery sessions, or sometimes preparing for matches that aren't there.

I've taken over my U18 training completely as I've had an incredible regen keeper but no other real prospects so the schedule is entirely focused around him, we'll see how he turns out! ( He conceded 1 goal in four games in the prem at the age of 15 for my relegation struggling Norwich side, the one goal conceded being away to Man City!!)

I let the AM set up the training schedule and then I make any alterations I think are needed. I signed a lot of players initially so lots of team bonding was added. After the first few games my set pieces (both attacking and defending) weren’t great so extra work on them. Goals dry up and extra attacking training. I feel that’s how it would work in real life with a lot of teams to be honest. A significant number of managers are tacticians who appoint AMs who are excellent trainers. Then through their analysis of the games and tactics, make suggestions to the AM on things they’d like included.

So far I'm basically scheduling training according to the tactical style. In previous versions you needed to train the same thing for months to see improvements, so I don't wanna change too much from week to week. Tactical style - gegenpress all the way, with some random week dedicated to attacking (what I prioritize and from what I hired the best coaches for).

Not sure it's the best thing to do, but part of the fun is to trial and test.

I find it a complete useless waste of time...

My team has two and even a few three matches pr. week, the AssMan is completely useless in slotting in the training, all the players is constantly complaining about lacking this or that training, because all the matches we play has no value and steal all the training slots, so I get 2-3 training sessions pr. week.

If the useless AssMan could at least handle it smartly enough to make the few slots focused enough to keep the team happy and not doing it by not slotting in recovery days after matches, that would at least make me okay with the system, and to make things perfect the stupid designer THINKS that OBSCURITY is GREAT design, so I have no freaking clue how to manage it any better than the assman.

Well, it adds variety and choices for those who want to be more hands on, but for me there are two key questions: 1) does the new training system make my team play better than last year's system, and 2) does the new training system develop my players faster/better than before?  After two seasons I don't see enough evidence to conclude that it is better, or worse, than before.  I play hands on with one club and leave it to the assistant with another, so it isn't a matter of me getting in the way.  The things that were important before still seem to matter the most: good staff and lots of playing time.

I like it. I have gone straight into the deep end and do it all myself. Don't leave anything to the assistant.

I have figured out the best preseason schedules (for my team) and then I have a few of the same sessions every week and alternate the others.

Bearing in mind that I am part time in the Vanarama League North so there are only 4 sessions in the week, I have found it really interesting to blend the team training with the individual training.

When players want more of something, I add this to the next week's schedule and also to their individuals.

At the moment, I am at Alfreton and we have conceded loads from free kicks and crosses, so I have got the Defending Wide and Defending Free Kicks on the weekly schedules, and then add a Possession or Attacking in the other slots.

After 2 weeks, there is a definite improvement, so I think it is going well.

Il 8/11/2018 in 13:53 , imadori ha scritto:

while although this thread is still very new, i've seen other forums ask about feedback on (or asking how to use) training, and so far the majority answer is "just leave it for the Assistant Manager".  i think it's really disappointing that this seems to be the overriding sentiment regarding this new training setup, because it implies that this training setup (meant to be more representative of true real-life training regimes, and to give players greater and more refined control on how their team develops) is a failure

it's sad that everyone seems so intimidated by its complexity that no one seems to want to figure out how best to utilise it.  and i say that being one of those very people who is intimidated by it!  i also say that not meaning to call out anyone who takes the view of leaving training to the assistant since that is very much a valid way of dealing with training.  i just find it sad that so far, on this forum and others, most people don't seem to want to make use of this new feature at all, which (in my mind) implies it's a redundant  feature if so many don't use it

I don't think it's sad... I think it's a fair reflection of how the average fan actually perceives the addition of this new, overly detailed, training system. (and we're talking about fans who invest time on posting on FM forums, no less! I can only imagine how well it'll have gone down with casual players)

As I said immediately after it was announced, I'm firmly against it. I thought it was an unnecessary complication of an already rather tedious and not-so-rewarding aspect of the game which could have easily been left as it was in recent years.
8 General Training categories to choose from for the daily Team Training were all we really needed in a game with so much micromanagement. 2 or 3 daily sessions with very specific tasks are pretty much overkill for what I'm afraid is a relatively negligible return on investment.

Stuff like Pig in The Middle could work in On The Ball etc, because the rest of the game was pretty much "buy and select the players with the highest Attribute Rating, pick a sensible tactic and click Play", so choosing the training routines added a bit of depth and colour to otherwise rather straightforward games.

But current FM has so much stuff to take care of I maintain SI'd have spared us this "Blast from the past"!

but!  i'm very excited at the prospect of being able to refine how my team is training to focus on very specific playstyles or weaknesses.  and while it may take a lot of trial and even more error, i really look forward to figuring out how best to setup my weekly training schedules, and i hope that eventually more of the community manage to work out how to use this new setup rather than just let the AI assistant do it (and by this i don't mean copy a formulaic one-size-fits-all guide that someone posts, because that turns the game into preset solutions rather than an organic management experience)

Again, is it really worth it besides the "I mastered it!" factor?

I mean, GT is only a part of what can make your team successful, and I suppose the time you'll need to sink into mastering the various schedules won't yield massive improvements compared to what those who'll delegate everything (but the Individual Training) to the AssMan will get.

to answer the original question directly, i like how specific the training is - no more generic "attacking" training

As I asked in the feature reveal topic:

How much does it improve things? Why should I be bothered to choose between Direct Attacking, Possession Attacking etc when with the old "generic" Attacking it was sort of understood I was training my team in the very style we were adopting?

Some stuff should be kept "under the hood", otherwise we'll soon have to deal with toilet breaks, gym routines or dietary habits, all because of the MORE REALISM!!!! mantra.

i like that there's more match specific tactics preview and review - really makes match preparation and post-analysis feel real

Then you'll click "Play Match" and the ME will throw all sorts of inconsistencies and quirks at you, making everything you did before that a wonderful exercise in futility and time-wasting...

With all the KEY AREAS that still await vast and radical improvements, SI decided instead to focus on a secondary and, I can't stress it enough, tedious and "skippable" aspect.

The Tactical Overhaul was a major feature change and it'd have easily been enough of a selling point without needing to fix something that wasn't broken. (Or that wasn't affecting the game that much, nor in positive, nor in negative).

1 hour ago, RBKalle said:

I don't think it's sad... I think it's a fair reflection of how the average fan actually perceives the addition of this new, overly detailed, training system. (and we're talking about fans who invest time on posting on FM forums, no less! I can only imagine how well it'll have gone down with casual players)

As I said immediately after it was announced, I'm firmly against it. I thought it was an unnecessary complication of an already rather tedious and not-so-rewarding aspect of the game which could have easily been left as it was in recent years.
8 General Training categories to choose from for the daily Team Training were all we really needed in a game with so much micromanagement. 2 or 3 daily sessions with very specific tasks are pretty much overkill for what I'm afraid is a relatively negligible return on investment.

Stuff like Pig in The Middle could work in On The Ball etc, because the rest of the game was pretty much "buy and select the players with the highest Attribute Rating, pick a sensible tactic and click Play", so choosing the training routines added a bit of depth and colour to otherwise rather straightforward games.

But current FM has so much stuff to take care of I maintain SI'd have spared us this "Blast from the past"!

Again, is it really worth it besides the "I mastered it!" factor?

I mean, GT is only a part of what can make your team successful, and I suppose the time you'll need to sink into mastering the various schedules won't yield massive improvements compared to what those who'll delegate everything (but the Individual Training) to the AssMan will get.

As I asked in the feature reveal topic:

How much does it improve things? Why should I be bothered to choose between Direct Attacking, Possession Attacking etc when with the old "generic" Attacking it was sort of understood I was training my team in the very style we were adopting?

Some stuff should be kept "under the hood", otherwise we'll soon have to deal with toilet breaks, gym routines or dietary habits, all because of the MORE REALISM!!!! mantra.

Then you'll click "Play Match" and the ME will throw all sorts of inconsistencies and quirks at you, making everything you did before that a wonderful exercise in futility and time-wasting...

With all the KEY AREAS that still await vast and radical improvements, SI decided instead to focus on a secondary and, I can't stress it enough, tedious and "skippable" aspect.

The Tactical Overhaul was a major feature change and it'd have easily been enough of a selling point without needing to fix something that wasn't broken. (Or that wasn't affecting the game that much, nor in positive, nor in negative).

I 100% agree with this. I have tried in many previous other games to wrap my head around the training, with little success. I wouldn't describe myself as a 'casual' FM player by any means but I have an Xbox and a PS4, and a large gaming backlog (That's without mentioning a full time job and a social life) - I just don't have the time or inclination to really get to grips with (what seems very much like) a complex training system when the time I spend on the game can be somewhat limited as it is.

Fully respect those who have the time and manage to master it, but when it's just as easy to delegate it to the AM, thereby allowing me time to play an extra match or two a night, then I'm gonna choose that option.

I preferred the old system, i could just set it up once, then set my match prep nice and quick, then just leave it. 

It was nice and simple, and everything you needed to know was there.

Theres just too much to this new system that i just leave to the ass man. And the ingame tutorial is pretty much non existent on how to setup a good schedule and whats needed for a good schedule.

We shouldnt need to look outside the game on how to do this.

Archived