Quarterfinals: England V Sweden 15:00 BST BBC1

decapitated

• SI Staff

England's World Cup quarter-final victory over Sweden attracted 89% of available audience to BBC One, with a peak of 19.9m

The match received 3.9m online requests, 3.8m of them live. That makes it BBC's highest ever online-viewed live programme

• Replies 583
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Paul Bacon said:

Kane doesnt do alot, but what he does do it make the opposition scare of him. Can see that the amount of times he has been fouled and won us penalties. He can take a few defenders with him, which opens up their defence.

Sterling on the other hand is useless. Yes hes quick and makes runs, but he does nothing when he has the ball. its like he feels he needs to do a solo run through the whole defence everytime he gets the ball

Well this is complete bollocks. The only time Kane was regularly fouled was Colombia, and they were kicking seven bells out of everyone. In the box, our central defender have been victims just as much. He's also not been taking defenders with him either. I mean, that's literally what we've been complaining about since the opening game, his lack of movement and pulling defenders away. He's quite literally not opening up defences. If Kane had done anything but run towards sterling when sterling made that run and trap through the middle, he'd have had a free shot from a lay off 

Sterling hasn't been great in the final third at times, but he's also clearly been asked to constantly make those runs, he's done that time and time again, though he probably should have a couple of goals too. Even though he's much better out wide he's been doing the job manager asked him. He can do better, but Kane and Alli need to offer much more in open play, because he's doing their open play work for them. 

There's absolutely no way people can slam Sterling for the mistakes he's made and then pretend Kane has been good in open play 

A lot of Sterlings work goes unnnoticed. All tournament he has been making inside/outside runs, pulling defenses apart and winning freekicks etc.

A players performance shouldn't just be judged on goals.

2 minutes ago, skybluedave said:

That's less then Colombia game though

It doesn't factor in people watching in pubs, and on a Saturday afternoon you can bet a huge amount of people went to pubs etc to watch rather than staying in. 

1 minute ago, AJJ said:

Wimbledon is on now too.

I like tennis and watch Wimbledon every year but I just can't imagine watching that instead of England in a world cup quarter final :D Each to their own of course.

18 minutes ago, Pukey said:

It doesn't factor in people watching in pubs, and on a Saturday afternoon you can bet a huge amount of people went to pubs etc to watch rather than staying in. 

I like tennis and watch Wimbledon every year but I just can't imagine watching that instead of England in a world cup quarter final :D Each to their own of course.

Wimbledon men's final tickets will be easy to get next week - no one is going with England in the final :D 

34 minutes ago, Pukey said:

What on earth were the other 11% watching?

As always seem to be the case around 1/4 million (1.5%) were engrossed with Midsomer Murders 🤔 

(10% watching something else pretty much par for the course for events of this magnitude - even for during the 2012 opening ceremony there were a dogged half million or so who were glued to C5 to watch Big Brother.)

3 hours ago, Weezer said:

He's by no means been crap, but he most certainly hasn't been great either.

No, either he's trash or he's amazing. This is the internet, there is no middle ground NOW CHOOSE YOUR SIDE.

21 hours ago, westy8chimp said:

Just about finished crying into my Swedish meatballs. Another set piece goal... Another 90mins without Kane making a positive run beyond... 

Sweden had best move of the game. 

Over the 90mins England just about limped over the line... Yeah they were the better team... But it wasnt exciting or emphatic. Pickford had more saves to make than should be comfortable... Especially with Bobby Moore... I mean Maguire playing (did keown actually liken maguire to moore... Or had a i fallen into a day dream slumber and invent that) 

Thank God the Russia game is good... Two good goals so far. 

You know England played well when westy is having to really clutch at straws to troll. :thup:

On 07/07/2018 at 19:57, westy8chimp said:

Just about finished crying into my Swedish meatballs. Another set piece goal... Another 90mins without Kane making a positive run beyond... 

Sweden had best move of the game. 

Over the 90mins England just about limped over the line... Yeah they were the better team... But it wasnt exciting or emphatic. Pickford had more saves to make than should be comfortable... Especially with Bobby Moore... I mean Maguire playing (did keown actually liken maguire to moore... Or had a i fallen into a day dream slumber and invent that) 

Thank God the Russia game is good... Two good goals so far. 

Definitely the most terrible poster I’ve seen. Why do you write such nonsense seriously? Not letting you get away with it.

3 hours ago, ryan045 said:

Not letting you get away with it.

Hired an online hit man? 

Its great, in each game all of you are moaning how poo we are.... But we score a pen or corner and come full time you completely change your tunes. Im just not that quick to forget that ive sat through a crap game.

3 hours ago, westy8chimp said:

Its great, in each game all of you are moaning how poo we are.... But we score a pen or corner and come full time you completely change your tunes.

Have you ever actually been to a game? 

31 minutes ago, Crispypaul said:

Have you ever actually been to a game? 

26 minutes ago, Barry Cartman said:

Trying to think of a reason why westy would even watch the game if it was all just about the purity of football 

Season ticket holder in 20 of the last 22 years... 

I dont know why you watch it BC... Only the result matters you can watch the news after. 

Just now, Barry Cartman said:

I'd miss 90 minutes of watching Harry Kane if I just looked up the result 

But youd know, as he hadnt scored, that hes worse than michael ricketts. A long way from the pele-esque show vs colombia

31 minutes ago, westy8chimp said:

Season ticket holder in 20 of the last 22 years... 

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and accept you're not on a wind-up - but surely at Highbury and the Emirates this kind of emotional rollercoaster is pretty common as with most other teams?  Slating the team then cheering them on when a goal is scored?

12 minutes ago, Crispypaul said:

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and accept you're not on a wind-up - but surely at Highbury and the Emirates this kind of emotional rollercoaster is pretty common as with most other teams?  Slating the team then cheering them on when a goal is scored?

we never win when playing badly :D

Archived