Quarterfinals: England V Sweden 15:00 BST BBC1

decapitated

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44725739

Millions of fans will follow the match across the BBC from 15:00 BST, as the quarter-final clash kicks off in the Russian city of Samara.

England have not reached the last four of the tournament for 28 years and their sole World Cup win came in 1966.

Manager Gareth Southgate said: "We're improving and want to make history."

England are favourites to reach the last four from what is considered the easier side of the draw, with the winners of the match facing Russia or Croatia - who play later at 19:00 BST.

With the country basking in a heatwave, thousands of fans will watch the game on big screens at events up and down the country; barbecues are being prepared and pub gardens are set for bumper business.

The climax of England's World Cup penalty shootout win over Colombia on Tuesday was seen by 23.6 million viewers on ITV.

_102422664_mediaitem102422663.jpg

England could be without striker Jamie Vardy who has a groin injury, but are hoping that left-back Ashley Young recovers from an ankle knock and midfielder Dele Alli's thigh injury is not a major problem.

Captain Harry Kane is aiming to become only the second Englishman after Lineker to win the Golden Boot for the World Cup's top scorer. He needs one goal to break Lineker's feat of scoring six times in 1986.

"My target isn't the Golden Boot," Kane told reporters. "The target is to win the tournament. That's always been the target."

Sweden are 24th in Fifa's rankings - 12 places below England - and are without national hero Zlatan Ibrahimovic - who retired from international football two years ago.

But they finished ahead of the Netherlands in qualifying, beat Italy in the subsequent play-offs and topped their group in Russia containing defending champions Germany.

After Sweden's 2-0 win over Switzerland which sealed a spot in the last eight, coach Janne Andersson said: "We're not satisfied with what we've done - we want to win the next match too."

The team had a rude awakening on Saturday when their hotel fire alarm went off first thing in the morning.

Though there have been no suggestions of foul play, it follows an earlier incident in the tournament when police were called after Iran fans tried to stop the Portuguese team from sleeping by making noise outside their hotel.

Head-to-head
Matches 24: England won 8; drawn 9; lost 7.

Expectation levels among England fans were relatively low ahead of the tournament, after a series of previous disappointments including a humiliating knockout defeat by Iceland at Euro 2016.

However, an early exit for defending champions Germany, as well as the shock departure of five-time victors Brazil on Friday, has boosted optimism in the England camp.

In fact, it is the first time in history of the competition that none of Brazil, Germany or Argentina have made the semi-finals.

Former England players including Rio Ferdinand, Ian Wright, Ray Clemence and Peter Shilton tweeted their support on Saturday morning.

Many supporters have been chanting, singing or simply declaring "it's coming home" in reference to the 'Three Lions' song written for Euro 96 by comedians David Baddiel and Frank Skinner with the band the Lightning Seeds.

The World Cup match takes place on a busy sporting afternoon that also includes Wimbledon tennis, qualifying for Formula One's British Grand Prix at Silverstone and the first stage of cycling's Tour de France.

ngland manager Southgate has been winning fans with his calm demeanour, sporting behaviour and a nice line in waistcoats.

Retailer Marks & Spencer, which supplies the England team's official World Cup suit, reckons the Southgate effect has seen waistcoat sales rise 35%.

Fans on social media have been sharing polite letters sent to them by Southgate - and the Twitter hashtag #GarethSouthgateWould was trending.

outhgate, 47, has said England must "make the most" of their World Cup opportunity, but warned against under-estimating an "older, more experienced" Sweden.

"You have to enjoy the good moments, but I am a long way from perfect, there are plenty of mistakes we have made while we have been here and we will make moving forward, so I think it is dangerous territory if we get carried away with things," said Southgate.

That has not stopped England fans singing a tribute to the manager to the tune of Atomic Kitten's 2001 hit 'Whole Again':

Looking back on when we first met,

I cannot escape and I cannot forget,

Southgate you're the one, you still turn me on,

You can bring it home again!

Southgate, who famously missed a penalty shootout against Germany in Euro '96, has welcomed the altered song: "It's not as questionable as most of the lyrics that have been sung about me in the past," he quipped.

• Replies 583
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not really sure who to support. The good news is that one of both teams will be eliminated after this match. Bad news is we're still stuck with the other one. 

Decisive for this game will most likely be whether England manages to get a quick goal or not. If so they are able to do so Sweden has to come and England will most likely hit them on the counter. If England won't be able to get an early goal this might become a very difficult match for them. 

Seen a lot in the build up making Sweden out to be simple opposition, I can only assume those saying that haven’t been watching them. 

I think we probably will prevail but it will be difficult, presumably separated by a goal. Not sure if we get it done in 90, think I see this going ET but I’m leaning towards a 1-0. If Sweden do prevail, I’m not going to be gobsmacked though, they’ve impressed me throughout.

We created so few clear cut chances vs. Colombia (and in general) that it’s a wonder how we’ll surpass Olsen, think the goal will likely end up coming from a set piece, yet again. Hoping for improvements on that side of things, be nice to see a goal from open play vs. a side that isn’t Panama.

I'm not complaining about Sterling's inclusion, but to be honest, I'm not sure having Alli in the starting line-up is a great idea if he's not in-form and not fully fit. Wasn't Southgate going to reinstate Dier or Loftus-Cheek instead? Either move would've made more sense to me.

Despite that, I feel a little more confident about our chances today than I felt on Tuesday. Sweden will be very tough to break down, but I reckon we'll find a way through and take a 1-0 win.

Sweden is a tough opponent, very disciplinated and defensively well organized (something I'm personally begging to see reproduced on FM too someday... a defense that defend)

I think England will do the job tonight. Croatia - England would be an exciting match to enjoy watching.

23 minutes ago, Cedrik said:

Not really sure who to support. The good news is that one of both teams will be eliminated after this match. Bad news is we're still stuck with the other one. 

What’s this nonsense.

20 minutes ago, ArsenalFan7 said:

Seen a lot in the build up making Sweden out to be simple opposition, I can only assume those saying that haven’t been watching them. 

I think we probably will prevail but it will be difficult, presumably separated by a goal. Not sure if we get it done in 90, think I see this going ET but I’m leaning towards a 1-0. If Sweden do prevail, I’m not going to be gobsmacked though, they’ve impressed me throughout.

We created so few clear cut chances vs. Colombia (and in general) that it’s a wonder how we’ll surpass Olsen, think the goal will likely end up coming from a set piece, yet again. Hoping for improvements on that side of things, be nice to see a goal from open play vs. a side that isn’t Panama.

Swedish defenders have been beaten the least, along with England and France. There's been a startling amount of arrogance toward them. Thankfully Southgate hasn't taken that stance

Feeling more confident about this game than I was about facing Colombia on Tuesday night. 

Sweden are very good at defending and we haven't been amazing at creating chances from open play bar the first two games.

Going 1 nil England inside 90 minutes but we could be waiting a while for that goal. 

They don't have much pace in the side to trouble us either. 

28 minutes ago, Marc Albrighton said:

Got to the quarters with absolutely no quality?

Well I mean they beat Switzerland, yes... Switzerland to get to this round. And they beat them with a massive deflection, or else they'd have probably gone to penalties. 

They're not chock full of talent. They're a nasty defensive side that is willing to grind out 0-0s and try and steal a goal to win it. 

6 minutes ago, JDownie said:

Well I mean they beat Switzerland, yes... Switzerland to get to this round. And they beat them with a massive deflection, or else they'd have probably gone to penalties. 

They're not chock full of talent. They're a nasty defensive side that is willing to grind out 0-0s and try and steal a goal to win it. 

Could say the same about us tbf. Scraped past Tunisia, Panama don't count, Belgium just showed our B team is rubbish and not a lot else, scraped past Colombia on penalties. 4 Harry Kane penalties and a ridiculous deflection on the way.

1 minute ago, Weezer said:

Could say the same about us tbf. Scraped past Tunisia, Panama don't count, Belgium just showed our B team is rubbish and not a lot else, scraped past Colombia on penalties. 4 Harry Kane penalties and a ridiculous deflection on the way.

But it's clear England have quality. You have arguably the best out and out striker in world football, for one. 

Sweden haven't got a world class player in any position whatsoever. Their closest two players to being world class are Forsberg and Lindelof... 

15 minutes ago, Weezer said:

Absolutely. Need some world class moments today to feel that we belong in a semi final

Archived