I got in 2020 in my Manchester United save. Last year when I did an England save and it got to the point when UK left EU, the squad registration rules were something like  ~15 non-UK players allowed in the 25 that got in the squad registration, which was okay. The rules were always different, like in a save I would get 17 non-UK players available to register, in another save 14, 15 and so on, but it was around the 15 mark. Now, in FM2018, I got to 2020, UK left EU, and the rules are absurd. I tried buying a 17 year old german and I couldn't get a work permit. That's a huge difference between last year and this year. There's no " Maximum of ~15 non-EU players allowed " in the squad registration. Every player now has to play a certain amount of games for their national squad and stuff to get the work permit. That literally makes the Premier League unplayable. Fix it. It's a disaster for Premier League.

This is the exact same as in FM17. There are different versions of Brexit that can happen. In some cases it's a work permits only and others have a set max non-UK players. It varies from game to game.

And for the record, it's not unplayable, I'm doing it at the moment and enjoying the challenge. If you want to verify what kind you get, then start a new game save and then holiday a few years into the future and see how the brexit happens. If it's not one you like then start a new one. Once you find one you like go back to your save at the start and play from there. Brexit is decided at game creation.

I've never got these rules in FM2017. It was always a max non-UK players with everyone getting their work permits accepted. This should have happened in this FM too. And it's a huge blow. I can't sign any young non-UK players. What's the point of this save?

1 hour ago, ikendz said:

I've never got these rules in FM2017. It was always a max non-UK players with everyone getting their work permits accepted. This should have happened in this FM too. And it's a huge blow. I can't sign any young non-UK players. What's the point of this save?

Then you were "lucky" in FM17, and vice versa, you're unlucky with this save. As XaW said, there are different scenarios, varying from really "soft" to very "hard".
No, you can't sign young non-UK players, but neither can any of the teams you're competing with, it's a level playing field. It means you have to rely on your own youth, and get even better to buy players, especially foreigners. You, like the other managers in the UK, simply have to adapt to the new rules.

2 hours ago, ikendz said:

The brexit rules haven't changed and the outcome is random on every save.

3 hours ago, XaW said:

This is the exact same as in FM17. There are different versions of Brexit that can happen. In some cases it's a work permits only and others have a set max non-UK players. It varies from game to game.

And for the record, it's not unplayable, I'm doing it at the moment and enjoying the challenge. If you want to verify what kind you get, then start a new game save and then holiday a few years into the future and see how the brexit happens. If it's not one you like then start a new one. Once you find one you like go back to your save at the start and play from there. Brexit is decided at game creation.

how far into the future do you need to go and should i just look at the squad registration rules to find out what type of brexit it is?

8 hours ago, francis#17 said:

how far into the future do you need to go and should i just look at the squad registration rules to find out what type of brexit it is?

Usually 3-4 years would do it. Just holiday for a few years and check the rules page of the Premier League. If it doesn't state anything, then holiday a few more.

5 hours ago, kingrobbo said:

thought so you asked last year too about 10 posts down mate

I downloaded a Brexit fix but it's incompatible with the lower league file I've installed. I've very heavily edited and customised the file to put all sorts of European clubs in the English League structure, down to Tier 8. I'm not going to start again for now, but if I do in the future I'll run the file through these rules and hope it works. As it is in my current save the news suggests a super-soft Brexit so hopefully it won't screw me.

Can anyone tell me if i'm going to get a hard Brexit, I'm thinking yes but not 100% sure if theres different possibilitys, i'd rather just dump this save now because I really dont want to play with a hard Brexit on this FM. Sorry about the crap first picture.

edit; holidaying now to the announcement to see what happens

c61b0303-47ea-44d4-b7ff-1bc4299ac3f7.thumb.jpg.e1f63302731401c927070d813035a768.jpg

533a602ab941a6372a5a7c2298a4f280.thumb.png.a3239e8862d553f26eee0782fcf8cb86.png

Ok it ended up like this,

123.thumb.png.d4d45873932411d4f33853700a4e7c6c.png

I don't give a monkey's about Brexit, but out of idle curiosity I asked the question more than a year ago: Are the Brexit changes one-sided (ie, only applied to British clubs) or are there reciprocal changes in Europe so that EU clubs have issues signing British players? In all of the threads about Brexit, only English managers ever seem to moan about this stuff.

Since brexit is a change in the status of the UK in the European Community, I have not yet seen anywhere that changes in the UK work permit rules have changed how other countries have looked at employing UK citizens, but presumably those countries own rules for employing non-EU citizens will come into force after brexit.

52 minutes ago, FrazT said:

presumably those countries own rules for employing non-EU citizens will come into force after brexit.

I'd assume that too, such that British players would come under European 'non-EU' player rules. But I've never seen anyone mention it, let alone complain about it. Which is why I ask (I've never managed a European team beyond the Brexit date).

1 hour ago, warlock said:

I'd assume that too, such that British players would come under European 'non-EU' player rules. But I've never seen anyone mention it, let alone complain about it. Which is why I ask (I've never managed a European team beyond the Brexit date).

Yes, interesting that I have not noted any comments from managers of European teams about the effects of brexit.

im in 19/20 and this is the season the brexit rules took effect.

bc07be77833a73905c95e3a475ad71ef.png

6ad84d9c646e9ae6b4477562843a5719.png

32f545076a451c158af819cab0d7148f.png

I successfully got work permits for an American, German and Frenchman. However they were all first team player rated.

1 hour ago, vara said:

im in 19/20 and this is the season the brexit rules took effect.

bc07be77833a73905c95e3a475ad71ef.png

6ad84d9c646e9ae6b4477562843a5719.png

32f545076a451c158af819cab0d7148f.png

I successfully got work permits for an American, German and Frenchman. However they were all first team player rated.

In that brexit result the whole work permit system is abolished, at least at premier league level. Even if at least in FM17 you always used to get the work permit news items all the same. You only have the registration limit of 17 non-UK players, which is a lot.

That actually makes the game easier for prem teams. As you don't need work permits you're free to sign cheap wonderkids from lowly rated countries, players you'd never ever get a work permit for.

9 hours ago, warlock said:

I don't give a monkey's about Brexit, but out of idle curiosity I asked the question more than a year ago: Are the Brexit changes one-sided (ie, only applied to British clubs) or are there reciprocal changes in Europe so that EU clubs have issues signing British players? In all of the threads about Brexit, only English managers ever seem to moan about this stuff.

In my save currently, Danny Wellbeck moved to Inter, and he is listed as one of their 'non-EU' players like a Brazilian would be.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No idea what the rules are in my save, work permits still seems to be a thing but I seem to be getting them really easily and then I think I have a max 17 foreign player rule. 

2 hours ago, tajj7 said:

In my save currently, Danny Wellbeck moved to Inter, and he is listed as one of their 'non-EU' players like a Brazilian would be.

Thanks for the info. That's how I'd expect it to be done.

I guess no one complains when Brexit makes signing non-UK players easier.

I always liked the challenge of Brexit.  I had a super-hard Brexit in my FM17 save where even Scotland left the UK to stay with the EU and work permits were required with the current non-EU citizen rules. It made things harder but it did not 'ruin' my game. I acknowledged it, planned for it, and adapted. The Premier League was not unplayable in my opinion. Just harder, but all teams were playing by the same rules.

I understand the point that we don't know the outcome in the real world, but conversely, we do know it is coming so not including such an inevitable and potentially game-changing event would be weird. To be honest, I found the Brexit vote made my FM16 save feel unrepresentative of the real world.

6 hours ago, kozmik said:

In the lower leagues there should be no changes. Quite surprising you managed to get a work permit for an American player. Or does he have an EU nation as a second nationality?

ah yes, he's part Swiss.

The Brexit thing annoys the hell out of me. There's all sorts of features that Miles won't add to the game because they're not 'realistic' enough and yet he's somehow cool with this being included. We don't know how Brexit is going to play out or the impact it will have on Football, the guesswork and randomness in FM really takes me  out of the game.  It's super gimicky in my opinion .

17 minutes ago, lukefitch said:

The Brexit thing annoys the hell out of me. There's all sorts of features that Miles won't add to the game because they're not 'realistic' enough and yet he's somehow cool with this being included. We don't know how Brexit is going to play out or the impact it will have on Football, the guesswork and randomness in FM really takes me  out of the game.  It's super gimicky in my opinion .

So it what sense is not including Brexit more realistic than including it, but it turning out differently to what it will eventually be?

18 hours ago, warlock said:

The UK leaving the EU affects the other nations in the EU as UK players none longer count as EU so will count towards whatever FGN player rules the other leagues have - in my FM17 save Scotland left the UK and stayed part of the EU which meant all their English players needed Work Permits after Brexit.

2 minutes ago, michaeltmurrayuk said:

The UK leaving the EU affects the other nations in the EU as UK players none longer count as EU so will count towards whatever FGN player rules the other leagues have

Cheers, Michael. That's how I assumed it would work but it's good to have it confirmed. It's interesting that only English managers complain about it, though.

8 hours ago, BamBamBam said:

Not with a saved game editor?

One non-endorsed product successfully added a feature for FM17 after a few months. I haven't bought that editor this time for FM18 as the IGE does a decent job - except for Brexit.

Another non-endorsed in-game editor developed by a different person is possibly working on a Brexit fix for FM18 but hasn't got there yet.

17 hours ago, michaeltmurrayuk said:

I expect there aren't that many people playing in Italy, Spain etc.. who fill their teams with English players :)

To say the truth, in so many years of playing CM/FM i hardly ever bought an English player for a continental team, most the times i did they played a lot less than i expected, so i just made my mind not to buy English players, eheheheheh, it's probably very unfair to english players, but it's how i do it... :idiot:

• 1 month later...
On 12/3/2017 at 20:47, Anthony Michael Hall said:

Add nation rules

Select add lower divisions and cups to existing structure

Choose England

Convert to advanced rules

Click the England dropdown

Select agreement change

Untick enabled

Save

Test rules

Save and job done.

Can you do this retroactively once you know Brexit result?

On 1/11/2018 at 19:52, phnompenhandy said:

You have to do it in the pre-game editor, so of course you don't know what the game will generate after your save has started.

Can someone please help a newb out on how to manipulate this? I don’t see the setting options listed above in this thread? Very lost.

3 hours ago, s0ni42 said:

Can someone please help a newb out on how to manipulate this? I don’t see the setting options listed above in this thread? Very lost.

It's complicated. There are instructions in the Editors' Hideaway forum, and a file exists you can add to your editor data folder that does the job although it doesn't work if you have another edited league file loaded up.

Have a rummage or ask in here:

https://community.sigames.com/forum/26-editors-hideaway/

I have just had a hard brexit as preston , first season managed promotion to prem , im halfway through second season and just got the message that from next season , all non-uk players will require a work permit.

has anyone had this or similair how does the save become? Not sure wether to continue with it or not 

• 1 month later...

I've just had a hard Brexit and there's a few youth players I've signed that was completed after the date and now need work permits.

Does anyone know if there's a way of loaning them out to a certain nation to help them gain citizenship?

Bit like loaning non-EU players to Serbia for 3 years, or S. American's to Spain for 2.

2 hours ago, Smkx_Muldoon said:

I've just had a hard Brexit and there's a few youth players I've signed that was completed after the date and now need work permits.

Does anyone know if there's a way of loaning them out to a certain nation to help them gain citizenship?

Bit like loaning non-EU players to Serbia for 3 years, or S. American's to Spain for 2.

Nope, that's pointless since they need UK passports now Brexit has happened. They should get those once they've been in Britain for five years, but they won't be able to play during that time so you've probably wasted your money.

hace 7 minutos, Smkx_Muldoon dijo:

They were only freebies on £20 p/w. Still frustrating.

well, you could overpay for the player so it can get the 4 points needed for the work permit (paying something around 5M and giving him wages that are more or less in the top 50%) but that normally just works for teams in the championship or below.

Archived