Breaking News: Football Manager 2018 Headline Features

Just now, HUNT3R said:

Sport Scientists always had something to do. They reduced Jadedness in players, help stop the frequency of certain types of injuries and can help with players recovery.

But did it matter what their attributes were last year? I got the impression you could just hire somebody cheap, with very low attributes and he would have the same effect as a guy with high attributes. The attributes required were never highlighted in the same way they were for coaches in the staff search so there never really seemed to be much point in paying a top wage for somebody from Barcelona, especially not when you could just get somebody from Barnet and he'd do just as well

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, MoxeysTheName said:

But did it matter what their attributes were last year? I got the impression you could just hire somebody cheap, with very low attributes and he would have the same effect as a guy with high attributes. The attributes required were never highlighted in the same way they were for coaches in the staff search so there never really seemed to be much point in paying a top wage for somebody from Barcelona, especially not when you could just get somebody from Barnet and he'd do just as well

They didn't need specific attributes, no.

16 minutes ago, MoxeysTheName said:

Is there going to be anything for Sports Scientists to actually to do this year as opposed to mainly just sitting there, taking a wage for nothing? Are their attributes actually going to mean anything this time?

Yeah, they always felt pretty half-assed, tbh. Hopefully they get expanded upon abit

1 minute ago, MoxeysTheName said:

That was my original point. Are their attributes going to have more of an effect this year?

All we know so far is in this video. You need to wait for more detailed stuff.

1 minute ago, MoxeysTheName said:

That was my original point. Are their attributes going to have more of an effect this year?

You asked two questions, of which I answered one. We know as much as you do, so you'll have to wait for more info in the coming videos.

1 hour ago, HUNT3R said:

There are two more... between the 2 DCs and between the 2 MCs.

Seems like they have taken a look at FIFA's FUT. The more players are familiar with eachother (same personality, language, playing style or just lost of training?) they can get a better connection (and as it seems you can take it literally) on the field.
Just guessing, but that would be a great new feature. Instead of looking at tactics as a team you also have to take fit between individuals into account. Which would make sense.  

Just now, michelb86 said:

Seems like they have taken a look at FIFA's FUT. The more players are familiar with eachother (same personality, language, playing style or just lost of training?) they can get a better connection (and as it seems you can take it literally) on the field.
Just guessing, but that would be a great new feature. Instead of looking at tactics as a team you also have to take fit between individuals into account. Which would make sense.  

If this all makes a noticeable difference, then I will need to think more carefully about who I select and how I rotate.

2 minutes ago, HUNT3R said:

If this all makes a noticeable difference, then I will need to think more carefully about who I select and how I rotate.

Absolutely. And it would make totally sense. There are lots of examples where players don't fit with each other and sometimes it's even better to play one alongside a (sometimes even less talented) player because there is better chemistry between them. 

But this will be just guessing until we see the demo or new videos.

Edited by michelb86

5 minutes ago, michelb86 said:

Absolutely, if it works as it appears to do it is really quite promising.  I often rotate my centrebacks (for example) because it makes little difference at the moment but if I have to consider how they work together it means more consideration has to be given.

Tactics screen looks awful,. no custom columns anymore? Looks too much stuff there and far less customisation.

Fot tactics screen I liked having games/starts/condition/assists/goals etc, very handy when picking a team, especially in a league where you need to rotate a lot to keep players match fit (like Spain)

Just now, HemHat said:

Not sure why they wouldn't use the best possible to show off the game as much as possible?

Because then most people would have a poorer looking screen and complain. Rather show the minimum/little and then those with better resolutions benefit. A lot of people play on the lower resolutions on laptops, for instance, so this is what they'll see.

Hahahaha WOW!

Putting the features aside for a minute, I thought the video was brilliant! I take my whimsy very seriously, and so personally I'm excited just about the choice of approach. 

Anita Lastname - Charming. Huge crush.

Mike Duff - Even huger crush! (but only because I love Judge Rinder.)

Jack Peachman - someone polish up the oscar for this man, best performance of the video.

Curtis Morton - Great performance as well

Miles Jacobson - I was impressed with his increased acting range! Especially the way his eyes light up when he says "you've got good info." 

The only thing missing was for the interviewer to say "The public will want to hear a proper answer from you" as Miles drove away. 

9.5/10 

Features wise, I think there was a decent amount of information, and some of the screenshots look very, very interesting. New graphics engine, improved stadiums and match day stuff looks really good. The Dynamics thing I am already in love with, and can't wait to see how it works out. Thanks SI.

Really looking forward to playing this now. 

17 minutes ago, JustinJJ said:

Fot tactics screen I liked having games/starts/condition/assists/goals etc, very handy when picking a team, especially in a league where you need to rotate a lot to keep players match fit (like Spain)

Same here.

Like someone else has said above this was shown on quite a low resolution plus making the sidebar icons only and getting a custom skin will make a lot more space available.

Edited by LeeCutty

1 minute ago, LeeCutty said:

Same here.

Like someone else has said above this was shown on quite a low resolution plus making the sidebar icons only and getting a custom skin will make a lot more space available.

Minimising the tactics training section on the right will also save space

I'm very happy with what we've seen, it'll slow down my saves, but require more active consideration and planning. Which is good, long term saves should need intense care. Fancy something quicker(which I often do), FMT is there for ya.

Especially intereated in the medical stuff.

Who are these guys marking? Where are my tactical gurus at? :D ;)

Plenty of scarring memories coming back after seeing this.

]50mbrs.png

As all I'm into is tactics, it's the only thing that can excite me to be honest. Hopefully FM Touch also gets some love.

Just now, Arkim said:

Who are these guys marking? Where are my tactical gurus at? :D ;)

Plenty of scarring memories coming back after seeing this.

]50mbrs.png

As all I'm into is tactics, it's the only thing that can excite me to be honest. Hopefully FM Touch also gets some love.

It's Wimbledon a few minutes into their first pre-season friendly!

Just now, DragonAndLance said:

So wait, is there going to be more videos coming out? I thought I read somewhere this is just the first of the feature videos

This was the headline features video. Videos will go into more depth in the coming weeks.

12 minutes ago, DragonAndLance said:

So wait, is there going to be more videos coming out? I thought I read somewhere this is just the first of the feature videos

11 minutes ago, phnompenhandy said:

Miles implied one a week.

There are 7 videos to come over the next month, so a little more than 1 a week.

I'd imagine maybe 2 a week for 3 weeks then the last week is final video and Beta

Guest El Payaso
2 hours ago, CFuller said:

Neat cameo from WorkTheSpace. I like that SI are interacting a bit more with the major FM YouTubers/streamers.

Depends on the way how the YouTubers play the game. If they are actually knowing what to do and actually doing sensible stuff (like for example @Rashidi) then I see this a good thing. But the fact (on what I've seen on YouTube) is that majority of them don't have any clue about tactics or anything and them being successful and getting interaction is not good thing for me as it gives more like an arcade feeling of the game. And this is only my opinion.

Didn't really get much out of the video but I am not on the negative side either. Really don't have anything else to say about it but that I'm eagerly waiting for the release and of course supporting SI like I always do. 

48 minutes ago, yorugua said:

I dont know, but I suspect that the yellow lines on tactical screens are simply a graphical representation of swap position. I hope to be wrong.

That would be strange. Swapping two CD or FB and MR doesn't make much sense...

5 minutes ago, phnompenhandy said:

Yeh, not that.

Could be related to good understanding between the players (dynamic relationships).

that's what I was thinking. Dynamic partnerships. Players who either have played together a long time and therefore develop that "understanding" or players who are mates and it has a similar on-pitch impact.

4 minutes ago, Bigpapa42 said:

that's what I was thinking. Dynamic partnerships. Players who either have played together a long time and therefore develop that "understanding" or players who are mates and it has a similar on-pitch impact.

Right, and it means making an extra effort with youth progression, scouting and data analysis to make sure new recruits will gel.

1 minute ago, phnompenhandy said:

Right, and it means making an extra effort with youth progression, scouting and data analysis to make sure new recruits will gel.

Exactly. Could give mentoring extra value as it could help foster those on-the-pitch relationships.

15 minutes ago, ferrarinseb said:

In the tactics screen there is a new item as well Intensity right beside Familiarity , Did any one noticed that? 

Familiarity is the same as before, intensity is match preperation/tactical training intensity

1 hour ago, El Payaso said:

Depends on the way how the YouTubers play the game. If they are actually knowing what to do and actually doing sensible stuff (like for example @Rashidi) then I see this a good thing. But the fact (on what I've seen on YouTube) is that majority of them don't have any clue about tactics or anything and them being successful and getting interaction is not good thing for me as it gives more like an arcade feeling of the game. And this is only my opinion.

Didn't really get much out of the video but I am not on the negative side either. Really don't have anything else to say about it but that I'm eagerly waiting for the release and of course supporting SI like I always do. 

Yeh, I have watched both workthespace and foxintheboxfm and find both of them waffle a load of nonsense and clueless.  But thats me

1 minute ago, ChelseaSince86 said:

Whats attribute card all about?  Is that for draft version or full version?

I had a horrible feeling when seeing it, it was fifa esque... "increase player X passing ability by 5 for one game"   No no no  no no no

99% sure it's fantasy draft

So with dynamics then we think players in the squad may at times fall out, and have a dislike for each other?   And itll have a more prominent effect on the squad etc  because it does take place in FM17 i believe?

I was wondering, IRL we have seen VvD and Coutinho refusing to play or whatever in order to get moves... could that ever be put into the game/  Or does legal issues stop it?

I remember on an older FM, as Brazil manager having Ronaldinho reject call ups, then getting questioned about it.,   don't know if that happens anymore in game

Edited by ChelseaSince86

Just now, ChelseaSince86 said:

So with dynamics then we think players in the squad may at times fall out, and have a dislike for each other?   And itll have a more prominent effect on the squad etc

I was wondering, IRL we have seen VvD and Coutinho refusing to play or whatever in order to get moves... could that ever be put into the game/  Or does legal issues stop it?

I remember on an older FM, as Brazil manager having Ronaldinho reject call ups, then getting questioned about it.,   don't know if that happens anymore in game

Yeh, an earlier poster did point out that FM couldn't have negative stuff about non-regen players for legal reasons, so I don't know how they've got around it, but if they have that's brilliant. However, I just hope it isn't overdone and, as I posted earlier, we don't end up spending more time being headmasters to juvenile delinquents rather than managing a football team.

I'm very curious about the tactical changes. A bit disappointed that the team shape concept isn't gone. Firm hope that there is more creative freedom nuance (much more expressive, much more disciplined) to mitigate the team shape settings. I'm also hoping that a defensive width setting has been implemented, and that one of the new player roles is a striker role that actually tracks back to midfield, so that you can get everyone behind the ball in defense.

Apart from that: the first look is promising. Player dynamics and squad hierarchy are features that make the game even more realistic. Looking forward to the beta!