How long do you stay with the same team?

It depends. I play the game as realistically as possible and I always play a Career game, starting with Sunday League Reputation, no qualifications and either with a club in the lowest tier of any league I start up or unemployed.

As I play realistically, if Club X approach me and it is clearly a bigger club, at a higher level etc, would I accept? Damn right. So in answer to your question, it depends. :D

Till I feel I have gone as far as I can with the club, once things start to level out I try to make sure they club is secure for the next few seasons without me, ill add any country's/leagues I feel like managing and then start applying / considering offers. So really I usually decide a year or 2 in advance that i'll be looking to leave. My current team, Belgium RMP, I won promotion my first season, now in my 4th season with them I've won the Confidis cup and got into Europe and about to move into our new stadium so that's me happy to stay for a while. Previous to that was a horrible 8months with Wolves! (when will they stop asking what I think of their underachievement since I left?!) and previous to them, 6 years with Crewe several play off defeats just got to much to take!

I layer on different challenges / targets to keep things interesting.

Typically I start with aims for a certain league position and cup round. Once we start to improve and achieve the competitive targets, I add on squad targets. Currently, I'm on the brink of having a newgen only squad a season ahead of plan. Next target might be to score / concede a certain amount (on average) per league match.

After that, I'm desperately requesting (and being rejected :( ) a new stadium. I think as / when / if that is granted and I've played a season in a new ground, then I'll look for a new job.

Longest save i've had so far was with MAn United for 4 1/2 years then moved to AC Milan for a season and that's where i've left that save for now. Started a save with Leeds Utd to try and bring them back to former glories something tells me thats going to take up to 10 seasons provided i don't get the chop :-)

Yeh I make challenges too.

Start off as Sunday Footballer, unemployed. Take first job I can get.

Work my way up, only moving to a higher rep club and eventually onto a major club.

Once I've won the league 3 times and a champions league I feel it's time to move on.

Currently Sevilla, and the best club in Spain, and the world, and I win everything. But my goal now is to make them the richest club in the world. I just got a new stadium, which will increase revenue. And I'm about half a billion euro behind Real and Barca.

Bring it on.

I like to start off as Sunday league footballer with no quals and take the first decent job offer.

I spent 5 years at Wrexham and got them to the Championship, then left for Werder Bremen in Bundesliga 2.

Won the league there and got them to Champions League, although I feel ready to move on after 3 years, nobody will seem to have me. The main reason is that I feel I've taken them as far as I can but until my own rep improves I can't leave.

Too far away financially and in reputation to try fight against the superpowers of Dortmund and Bayern

I stay with Barcelona and Catalan Lions CF (My fantasy team I created in 2014) forever. Often I add 2-3 other managers and jump from one lower level team in Spain to an other. Mostly Catalan and Balearic teams. Last year (FM 2014) I managed Ibiza-Eivissa for 4 seasons.

for me it really depends, am in my 4th season at york in the championship and we are around 4 points off the playoffs. I only really stop playing with a team when A) i feel i have taken them as far as i can which it is starting to feel a bit like with york atm B) I get bored or C) i spot a great opportunity which i cannot turn down or D) I get sacked

I have played several careers usually starting with the Automatic Rep for starting club.(I am a neophyte) I have gotten several clubs promoted and end up staying with them trying to get that next promotion.........I usually stay about 5 years per team unless the board gives me my walking papers. I usually play/start in the lower leagues such as Vanaramma Conference, French National, or Italy's Series C.

In my current and first 2015 save. I lasted 6 months at RC Strasbourg, 2 1/2 years at Burgos and working on my 2nd season at Forli.

I generally go for the long term one club save and start a new one if/when I get bored/game crashes. Generally 10-15 seasons at least.

However, I've recently started an unemployed/journeyman save with the intention of taking any jobs offered. I applied for the available jobs at start of the game and ended up at Torhout in Belgium and have since accepted the one offer I've received and am now in the exotic climes of Grimsby...

It depends. I play the game as realistically as possible and I always play a Career game, starting with Sunday League Reputation, no qualifications and either with a club in the lowest tier of any league I start up or unemployed.

As I play realistically, if Club X approach me and it is clearly a bigger club, at a higher level etc, would I accept? Damn right. So in answer to your question, it depends. :D

Are you my long lost brother? :D This is exactly how I play my games.

I've had times where I've moved onto another club after just one season, and I've had times where I've stayed with the same club for up to eight seasons, and still ongoing. I tend to set goals for myself depending on where I am, but I always keep an eye on the job centre and managerial rumours incase a suitable and better job may come along. My aim is always to be the best manager I can possibly be. If it means I need to bounce around and manage numerous clubs to get to the top of the tree then so be it. If I know I can move up the leagues with just one team, I'll happily do that too. I stay flexible though, as there have been times where I've grown a love and affinity for a club that I'm managing, and I have stayed on at a club when opportunities to move to bigger clubs came along. I play realistically to the point where if my managerial peak is nothing more than a Conference Premier or League 2 manager, so be it, I'll still play and achieve as much as I can. If I have to spend eight or nine seasons in non-league football before progressing then so be it.

Tl;dr I play it by ear, as realistically as possible. :D

Are you my long lost brother? :D This is exactly how I play my games.

I've had times where I've moved onto another club after just one season, and I've had times where I've stayed with the same club for up to eight seasons, and still ongoing. I tend to set goals for myself depending on where I am, but I always keep an eye on the job centre and managerial rumours incase a suitable and better job may come along. My aim is always to be the best manager I can possibly be. If it means I need to bounce around and manage numerous clubs to get to the top of the tree then so be it. If I know I can move up the leagues with just one team, I'll happily do that too. I stay flexible though, as there have been times where I've grown a love and affinity for a club that I'm managing, and I have stayed on at a club when opportunities to move to bigger clubs came along. I play realistically to the point where if my managerial peak is nothing more than a Conference Premier or League 2 manager, so be it, I'll still play and achieve as much as I can. If I have to spend eight or nine seasons in non-league football before progressing then so be it.

Tl;dr I play it by ear, as realistically as possible. :D

Same here, er, brother. ;)

In all my fifteen years or so of playing CM and FM, I don't think I've ever played a career game where I've gone from one team to another. I've played as tons of different teams in leagues across the world, but the idea of moving from one team to another has never appealed to me...I like to come in at the start of the game and set a long-term goal of taking my team to the top, whether that's a decade-long campaign to get my local side Harrow Borough to the peak of the English game, or create the greatest football team the world has ever seen with Barcelona.

I don't much care for real world players, as they break all the rules of the engine and you can't help comparing them to their real world self, they are just placeholders until I develope regens.

That takes a lot of years, since the stars last a long time, before you can replace them.

AI teams is crap, so not much point in playing to "win", that unfortunately also means that when you hit that super team of self developed regens, the AI teams is even worse than the "real world" generated ones.

I always spend my whole career at one club because I get too attached to the players and can't bear to see another manager tear them apart.

Wouldn't mind doing a journeyman career but it never happens.

I'm in my 6th season now and starting to get a little bored. How long do you lot stay with the same team?

I suppose you love some football club. I mean really love, when the club looses, your day, on important matches, your whole week is crap...

How can you get bored managing your beloved club? I never get bored with Barca, even when I win everything in 3-4 straight years. I managed some teams outside Spain (last time was in FM 2004 :) Hull City). This was the last time I started a save without adding a manager for Barca. After some seasons I got to play champions league. I always kept an eye on Barcelona and I drew exactly Barca in the QF. I was so happy, when the team I managed, Hull City, got literally destroyed by Barcelona. Later Barca won the Champions League with ease. I was glad. So I realized, I should never manage another team, it's pointless. In an other save, earlier, 2003, I think I managed Wolves. Got them promoted to premiership and never played the second season, because I had another save managing Barcelona that consumed like 90% of my playing time.

Now I have only one save in the game. Never make onther. One (the first manager) always manages Barcelona and a 2nd or 3rd for other small teams from Spain. Till I get bored with them. Managed even in Mexico (Leon) in FM 14.

In general I tend to lose interest a bit when more and more regens start to appear, so maybe about 7 or 8 seasons. I'm not sure why but I don't like playing too far into the future. I think that shows in the players that I buy too - I tend to look for players who are approaching their peak, so usually look for players in their mid 20s onwards.

4-5 seasons usually, my record is 35 seasons at Spurs in fm14, simulated the last 5 i think, it was an ambition to see if there is a limit of seasons, but it seems it isnt, great times, but really the fun was lost after 6-7 seasons

Archived