Football Manager 2014 - Full Game Feedback/Tilbakemelding 14.1.3

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No, that is not correct. Tactic familiarity is separated into different sections such as formation, tempo, passing, width, defensive line. If you change formation or your instructions, you do not change everything. It's not like you start all over again...
No you don't, but football is a team game, change the way you distribute the ball and that changes other aspects of your play, change the way you distribute the ball in the middle of the park and it will change amongst other things the way you forwards attack, the point you are missing is that however much or little you alter your style it will still show itself in more ways than just how many goals you score. if you change just your attack then it will alter shots (how many, where from, what distance etc), CCCs and half chances, if because of your change your attackers give the ball away cheaply then it will have a knock on affect to the way you defend, all of this should show up in the analysis, any tactical change large or small doesn't just show up simply as more or less goals scored.

The AI formations are still really inadequate, particularly 3-4-1-2 which uses the winger positions, not the wing backs as it should be. Also the 3-4-3 should have the front three in the style of the front 3 in a 4-3-3, two wide players either side of a central striker, not three central strikers. Gasperini's 3-4-3 could work wonderfully with this Genoa side for example, but as it is the wing backs don't play, Antonelli gets transfer listed, and the wingers are misused.

Just had my first 2 goalkeeping bugs reported on the bugs forum, one game opposition goalie catches ball in box and walks out of area only to be red carded, which is wrong, Then last game my goalie did the same, again for a straight red card, again wrong, totally weird.

I have not bought the game yet - I promised myself to wait until at least March; this was due to FM13 taking until around March this year to be playable.

Getting a little impatient cos I want to buy FM14, I thought I would look through the forums to see the general feedback to the latest version of the FM series... got to say though it's not looking good and glad now I have not bought the game. Sort of defends my decision to wait until March - the game may be playable and will certainly be cheaper. I will stick to FM13 until then.

I do remember at some point I read someone's idea for SI not to release FM14 but a season 13/14 patch of FM13 to update everything, thus giving SI plenty of time to get 'ready' version of FM15 without the usual bugs etc with the use of beta testers. I know really this is not plausible due to the income need every year, it just leaves a bitter taste in my mouth that a game is released every year and then needs many more months before the problems have been ironed out and is then ready to play.

I have not bought the game yet - I promised myself to wait until at least March; this was due to FM13 taking until around March this year to be playable.

Getting a little impatient cos I want to buy FM14, I thought I would look through the forums to see the general feedback to the latest version of the FM series... got to say though it's not looking good and glad now I have not bought the game. Sort of defends my decision to wait until March - the game may be playable and will certainly be cheaper. I will stick to FM13 until then.

I do remember at some point I read someone's idea for SI not to release FM14 but a season 13/14 patch of FM13 to update everything, thus giving SI plenty of time to get 'ready' version of FM15 without the usual bugs etc with the use of beta testers. I know really this is not plausible due to the income need every year, it just leaves a bitter taste in my mouth that a game is released every year and then needs many more months before the problems have been ironed out and is then ready to play.

The "bitter taste" is all in your own head ironically. The game has been ready to play since day 1 of the beta. How you can ascertain that it's somehow broken when you haven't even played it yourself is pretty ridiculous. Then to blame SI for something you're just assuming is a bit of a stretch. If you're using these forums as your only source of "feedback", then you may as well never buy the game.

The game is perfectly playable.

Small thing that i didnt like in FM12 and FM13, i dont know is it fixed in FM14, because i didnt play FM14 much, is free kicks. I think there should be 2 kinds of free kick takers. List for direct shot and list for for crossing in the box and pass.

Example: I had Forward in FM12, who was very good in free kicks and i think he had 20 in long shots, but his cross and pass was average, like 11 or 12. while i really want him to take free kick when free kick is good for shooting at goal, i didnt like when he was crossing the ball in the box ( he had average pass and cross, + he was very tall with good heading, i wanted HIM to be in the box).

Is free kick better in FM14? i know there are no 2 lists for free kick takers, but maybe engine can figure out what player is better for different kind of free kicks.

Surely if you havent bought it, then it cant leave a bitter taste in your mouth?

Having read this topic (not all 47 pages I admit!), my assumption comes from all the comments made. I have purely balanced up the positive and negative. You say it is perfectly playable... so no more patches, updates or fixes will be made to FM14? If this is the case I shall buy the game at the month's end and apologise for my incorrect assumption.

Always interesting to hear the expert views of those without the game. If you gauge the quality of the game by some of the feedback in this thread you are missing the opportunity to get immersed in what is a really good but flawed game. I guess I am one of many who wade through much of the juvenile rubbish in this thread without responding just in case there is something illuminating. My enjoyment of the game has been greatly enhanced by following some of the threads in the Tactics forum and watching the game in Comprehensive mode. One further thought, maybe the word 'playable' should be infractable?

Having read this topic (not all 47 pages I admit!), my assumption comes from all the comments made. I have purely balanced up the positive and negative. You say it is perfectly playable... so no more patches, updates or fixes will be made to FM14? If this is the case I shall buy the game at the month's end and apologise for my incorrect assumption.

Even IF there were zero bugs, there would still be updates.

So you equate playable with not needing any patches whatsoever?

What a world.

So you equate playable with not needing any patches whatsoever?

What a world.

I was wrong in saying patches. Just don't want to purchase a game yet that crashes and has many bugs, as previous posts suggest. Can we not have a new thread with everyone posting a score out of 100 without comments? I might get an idea of how the good the game is at this current point. But by the response to my post it sounds as though the game is near perfect now.

Hey, I love this game and have done so for many years. I am currently near the end of FM13 career (season 2045/46)!

The "bitter taste" is all in your own head ironically. The game has been ready to play since day 1 of the beta. How you can ascertain that it's somehow broken when you haven't even played it yourself is pretty ridiculous. Then to blame SI for something you're just assuming is a bit of a stretch. If you're using these forums as your only source of "feedback", then you may as well never buy the game.

In your opinion.

In your opinion.

People will have different opinions. For me, I'm not playing it again until the update is out. The number of goals scored in fully loaded leagues is beyond stupid, and takes away a lot of realism in my view. Not to mention the issue with full backs in the ME.

Small thing that i didnt like in FM12 and FM13, i dont know is it fixed in FM14, because i didnt play FM14 much, is free kicks. I think there should be 2 kinds of free kick takers. List for direct shot and list for for crossing in the box and pass.

Example: I had Forward in FM12, who was very good in free kicks and i think he had 20 in long shots, but his cross and pass was average, like 11 or 12. while i really want him to take free kick when free kick is good for shooting at goal, i didnt like when he was crossing the ball in the box ( he had average pass and cross, + he was very tall with good heading, i wanted HIM to be in the box).

Is free kick better in FM14? i know there are no 2 lists for free kick takers, but maybe engine can figure out what player is better for different kind of free kicks.

100% this! No it's not in FM14 but should be.

I was wrong in saying patches. Just don't want to purchase a game yet that crashes and has many bugs, as previous posts suggest. Can we not have a new thread with everyone posting a score out of 100 without comments? I might get an idea of how the good the game is at this current point. But by the response to my post it sounds as though the game is near perfect now.

Or alternatively, you could download the demo and find out for yourself.

And no-one has said it is 'near perfect',

Seems to me you''ve made your mind up already though, and would just be looking for bugs if you ever did play it. Another illustration of why this thread is as much of a curse as a blessing.

Be fair to JPChenet; he's only doing what I've been saying to do for many versions to those who expect the update (or patch) policy to be different every year. Fair play to him, he decides to wait until March to buy, knowing it will be the best version it can be.

I wish I had his discipline. It's cheaper in March. :D

Better his way than those who fill these threads every year thinking (nay, expecting/demanding) as if by magic the game will be released complete and SI can start work on FM15 100% (and Kriss can take a well deserved break) from day one of FM14 release.

:applause: to JPChenet. Don't rip the guy, that's not nice.

Hey, I love this game and have done so for many years. I am currently near the end of FM13 career (season 2045/46)!

You're completely missing the point and flyling from one extreme to the other. You're seeming to suggest that a game can either be "unplayable" as you have called it, or near perfect. No-one has ever said the game is perfect. If they have, they're wrong. There are bugs in the game, always have been, always will be, but none of them to me are that bad. I have also never had any crashes. Not one. Not saying no-one else does, because they do, but every setup is different.

Also, your idea for a thread with just scores on this forum would end exactly the same way. A lot of wildly inaccurate negative reviews, a few overly glowing ones, and very few actually honest scores. The scores themselves would always be biased by personal preference, and will not reflect how someone else will enjoy the game.

In your opinion.

In your opinion.

People will have different opinions. For me, I'm not playing it again until the update is out. The number of goals scored in fully loaded leagues is beyond stupid, and takes away a lot of realism in my view. Not to mention the issue with full backs in the ME.

It is playable though. That's not an opinion, it's a fact. Whether it's enjoyable or not is a matter of subjective opinion.

Its a dynamic product so there will always be changes

Most of the 47 pages are feedback on the original release which from your skim read of 47 pages will have told you. Some of the pages will be about the issues which will be mostly fixed in the release Paul C confirmed will be out shortly. He confirmed the ME is good to go and when some other issues are finalised elsewhere it will be released.

What would be interesting to understand is how many of the pages are from people asking when the update will be released, when their prediction of the update is, and the mods telling people to stop constantly asking when the update will be released.

What you deem as playable and what others deem as playable will most certainly vary. If you would rather wait until the next update is out, or would rather wait until the final update for FM14 is out is entirely up to you. There will also be a large % of people happy with day 1 release.

I strongly believe that sometimes people aren't aware of problems, or all of the problems until they read about them.

What is clear is that if you find bugs / issue the best way to get them resolved is to raise them in the bugs forum with supporting evidence e.g. pkms/screenshots, saves etc

Matej - I agree with you and this would be a nice feature enhancement. I think I'd like also to have some input into a free kick tactic creator where variation could be applied e.g. shot, cross, some cheeky move variations

Problem with reading a feedback thread is that most people posting in here are going to be having problems. It is how most feedback on forums works. To call this game unplayable is, well, just wrong. If you want a game that was genuinely unplayable on release look at how Rome 2 TW was - that had so many bugs it was like the Entomology lab at a University. There are naturally going to be bugs in every game, as there are in FM14. I for one hate the way wingers will kick the ball out of play trying to get a corner. But nothing makes it impossible to play and to enjoy.

Of course, if you want to wait until it is fully patched then fair play, but it annoys me to read comments slagging off a company who provide excellent support and feedback to customers when you have not yet played the game. At least the other people here who do this have actually played this version, and have a reason to feel aggrieved.

i've played only 6 games and i have to say i'm surprised some people are still playing this game and then come back here to complain, its pretty obvious to me this fm14 has all sorts of problems right now and i aint playing it anymore until after the next update, the fact that some find it playable right now baffles me.....lol

i've played only 6 games and i have to say i'm surprised some people are still playing this game and then come back here to complain, its pretty obvious to me this fm14 has all sorts of problems right now and i aint playing it anymore until after the next update, the fact that some find it playable right now baffles me.....lol

In 2020 now so it seems like it's very playable :thup:

It's a subjective opinion whether it is playable or not, same as whether it is enjoyable or not, there is no difference so I don't see the point of this constant argument, and I don't particularly get the side of people who are shutting up others who say it's unplayable.

E.g I played the game for 2 seasons and made a definite conclusion that the player match ratings are simply awful. I can't stand to see that all my players have awful ratings game after game, even if I win only the goal scorer and maybe one more player gets good ones. Frequently even the guy who assisted gets 6.7

For me, and by every FM standard, this is a major partybreaking moment, and I can't stand to play the game as it is. If I'm not playing the game for weeks, waiting for the patch, then what is the game for me? Obviously, unplayable.

For someone else it might be playable, but that's all down to a person's mind. Some people have no problem settling for less while some people who see new gamebreaking bugs like this year after year are fed up and refuse to play because the unrealistic moment simply bothers them too much to be able to digest it. For them the game is unplayable, and when they say ITS UNPLAYABLE, it obviosly means IMO ITS UNPLAYABLE, but the "imo" rarely written because if somebody writes something it obviosly represents their own opinion. No need to highlight it every time.

I alway hated the fierce advocates of the game who attack people who are by all means rightfully complaining. If you are happy with the game, go play it... Why the need to shut people up here?

I alway hated the fierce advocates of the game who attack people who are by all means rightfully complaining. If you are happy with the game, go play it... Why the need to shut people up here?

But that's pretty hypocritical, isn't it? The uber supportive and the uber critical are two sides of the same coin. If you have one, you have the other, and you can't complain about the other camp if you're in one. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

It's a subjective opinion whether it is playable or not, same as whether it is enjoyable or not, there is no difference so I don't see the point of this constant argument, and I don't particularly get the side of people who are shutting up others who say it's unplayable.

E.g I played the game for 2 seasons and made a definite conclusion that the player match ratings are simply awful. I can't stand to see that all my players have awful ratings game after game, even if I win only the goal scorer and maybe one more player gets good ones. Frequently even the guy who assisted gets 6.7

For me, and by every FM standard, this is a major partybreaking moment, and I can't stand to play the game as it is. If I'm not playing the game for weeks, waiting for the patch, then what is the game for me? Obviously, unplayable.

For someone else it might be playable, but that's all down to a person's mind. Some people have no problem settling for less while some people who see new gamebreaking bugs like this year after year are fed up and refuse to play because the unrealistic moment simply bothers them too much to be able to digest it. For them the game is unplayable, and when they say ITS UNPLAYABLE, it obviosly means IMO ITS UNPLAYABLE, but the "imo" rarely written because if somebody writes something it obviosly represents their own opinion. No need to highlight it every time.

Read my posts and you'll see how "happy" i am with the game :)

Can the game be played? Absolutely.

I'm becoming less and less happy with the state of the game, on release, every year.

But it's not unplayable. The ability to enjoy it though i can agree with you on. Massive difference.

Unplayable used here is just an exaggerated word in order to vent their frustrations - apart from those who actually can not play the game.

I think both sides of the coin are welcome here providing they are constructive.

In terms of constructive complaints one of the most constructive ways of getting issues resolved is to raise them as bugs, if they haven't been already. Its the bugs forum that will get reviewed the most by SI I would think.

This game is not unplayable as some would say but it can be very frustrating and annoying, like the woodwork issue, the defenders ratings, goalies getting red cards for coming out the box etc. There are a few bugs yes and if you look through the bug pages, you'll see that SI guys have acknowledged quite a few of them and are in the process of fixing them. A lot of the issues is most definitely with the tactics a lot of you are using, I was struggling at first when it launched but after reviewing my tactics, I've tweaked them a little to make the game play a bit better. Also I'm watching the game in comprehensive view which shows me where my tactics are or aren't working, a lot of misses etc from strikers are due to good defending or just poor decisions.

I think both sides of the coin are welcome here providing they are constructive.

In terms of constructive complaints one of the most constructive ways of getting issues resolved is to raise them as bugs, if they haven't been already. Its the bugs forum that will get reviewed the most by SI I would think.

This game is not unplayable as some would say but it can be very frustrating and annoying, like the woodwork issue, the defenders ratings, goalies getting red cards for coming out the box etc. There are a few bugs yes and if you look through the bug pages, you'll see that SI guys have acknowledged quite a few of them and are in the process of fixing them. A lot of the issues is most definitely with the tactics a lot of you are using, I was struggling at first when it launched but after reviewing my tactics, I've tweaked them a little to make the game play a bit better. Also I'm watching the game in comprehensive view which shows me where my tactics are or aren't working, a lot of misses etc from strikers are due to good defending or just poor decisions.

Agree and agree.

It's a subjective opinion whether it is playable or not

Will the game run? Can you physically play it? If the answer is yes then it's playable by definition. Absolutely nothing subjective about it.

Personally I enjoy the game but I also perfectly understand the views of those who don't. Throwing around the 'unplayable' hyperbole though only gets you taken less seriously and your valid concerns less likely to be noticed.

Will the game run? Can you physically play it? If the answer is yes then it's playable by definition. Absolutely nothing subjective about it.

No **** sherlock.

By unplayable, people mean they're finding it hard to enjoy. And without an update/fix, they won't be playing it by choice. It's down to personal opinion ATM, and for some, the current state of the game is unbearable.

• SI Staff

JPChenet why don't you try the demo and make your own mind up?

Outside of this thread our feedback is that this year's game has gone down very well. Yes some people are reporting a lot of shots in certain tactical setups as well as too many goals in some lower leagues but overall we believe the vast majority are happy.

Not that this affects our commitment to provide updates through the months following release. The game is hugely complex and we will never perfect every element of it but you'll never see us slacking off from trying to take it forward.

Before anyone asks no I don't know when the next update is out. Its still in it's QA phase and hopefully ready very soon but until it's passed that process I can't be specific about which day or even week.

No **** sherlock.

By unplayable, people mean they're finding it hard to enjoy. And without an update/fix, they won't be playing it by choice. It's down to personal opinion ATM, and for some, the current state of the game is unbearable.

It's a hysterical hyperbole. Rightly or wrongly people will not be taken seriously if they can't bring themselves to avoid these.

No you don't, but football is a team game, change the way you distribute the ball and that changes other aspects of your play, change the way you distribute the ball in the middle of the park and it will change amongst other things the way you forwards attack, the point you are missing is that however much or little you alter your style it will still show itself in more ways than just how many goals you score. if you change just your attack then it will alter shots (how many, where from, what distance etc), CCCs and half chances, if because of your change your attackers give the ball away cheaply then it will have a knock on affect to the way you defend, all of this should show up in the analysis, any tactical change large or small doesn't just show up simply as more or less goals scored.

But shots and CCC's is just one of very few indicators on how a tactic is working. Were your team 100% familiar with them?

Come on guys. I want to play the game before my exams. Very very thank you for your work but can you be more quick :)

yeah, I can see SI now twiddling their thumbs and drinking coffee but have now rushed back to their desks at seeing your post :)

I'd put this time toward revising for your exams :D Despite several attempts, no-one detailing FM management success on their CV has as a result got a job managing a professional football club.

Good luck with the exams

No **** sherlock.

So what they mean is that they find it unenjoyable. Not unplayable.

One thing I've been wondering - has the function to check on job security been removed? What I mean is, can you not sort jobs by the usual insecure/very insecure/precarious status now to see which ones may or may not come available? Big miss if it has been removed, the job security page only seems to show actually available jobs.

One thing I've been wondering - has the function to check on job security been removed? What I mean is, can you not sort jobs by the usual insecure/very insecure/precarious status now to see which ones may or may not come available? Big miss if it has been removed, the job security page only seems to show actually available jobs.

It works here...

yeah, I can see SI now twiddling their thumbs and drinking coffee but have now rushed back to their desks at seeing your post :)

I'd put this time toward revising for your exams :D Despite several attempts, no-one detailing FM management success on their CV has as a result got a job managing a professional football club.

Good luck with the exams

http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/bootroom/id/330?cc=5901

Archived