FM2014 Pre-Release Beta *UPDATE* Feedback thread

Please post your concerns in the bugs section & upload a pkm of the match in question, this will give the ME team a chance to look at the game & see what has gone wrong, be that tactics or an underlying fault in the ME.

Personally asking your team to hassle the opposition & get tackles in quickly while also asking your defence to drop deep is rather counter-intuitive.

I'm waiting on the YouTube video to render. I don't see how it's counter-intuitive, though. I want my defence to drop deep, but have the rest of the team hassle the opposition. My individual instructions hammer that point home.

[video=youtube;s2eN0qhqppU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2eN0qhqppU

• Replies 943
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14th in mine. People complain when they see something unusual, but not when they don't.

There is no "Stoke issue".

It's this attitude that will stop people from highlighting their concerns. Is it not better to bring something up and be 'wrong' (in your opinion, that is) rather than stay silent?

Really? The game keeps any modifications you do during a match to your preset tactics?

Im sorry, but that is stupid if true.

Just teste din my save, and instructions made during a match are not remembered. Not sure why it is so for you

Ok, my first impressions.

ME is much better and more enjoyable but still has some really annoying problems. Defenders don't make even single attempt to stop opponent with ball. Player gets the ball and then just keeps running. Defenders are just standing around or get out of his way. Tackling just seems to be out of option. 1 vs 1 scoring chances are just broken. Team creates plenty of CCC-s and striker just keeps wasting them. Players score, but never in 1vs1 situations. Passing is also troublesome. Team keeps sending long balls ahead and tries to find my lone striker, despite having passing set to short. Maybe it's tactical problem, but i'm out of ideas how to stop them doing that.

Anyway, I must say that game has improved positively a lot. :)

am enjoying the beta...haven't read through much so apologise if I am bringing up issues

the player ratings seem a bit off at the moment...my centre halves and full backs are regularly getting 8/9 out of 10 in matches in which they do absolutely nothing of note.

But my offensive players struggle to get those figures ...regularly games in which they get goals and assists- they are ending the game with about a 7.2

I think the defensive positioning could do with a bit of tweaking as well- I have some very intelligent defenders just standing in mental places are get cut up easy on the counter

The only other issue I noticed- although there are plenty of goals- I don’t know if they are all coming from the right places- i'm finding whereas I score from set pieces every match- the shooting is wildly inaccurate in one on ones and whatnots both for and against me...half way through my second season and I've never had my striker score a one on one and it hardly ever happens against me.

I did think that maybe the game was just underrating giroud- so I went all out for ballotelli, and apart from him rather predictably being a right moody turd, he’s dong no better in those kind of chances.

I’m also hitting the crossbar every single match- often from mis-hit crosses

I really like the adjustments to the transfers and contracts…and as it stands I’m not missing the sliders as much as I thought I would! I like the concept- although it will take me a while to get used to the instructions- at the moment I am really only having a subtle impact on the style of play- and whereas in the past I’ve gone “high line, high tempo, high pressing, attack attack attack”…I haven’t quite got the equivalent sorted on here yet- the changed I make manifest more subtley on the pitch- which might be more realistic…or it might just be a case of me not 100% figuring it out yet.

I'm waiting on the YouTube video to render. I don't see how it's counter-intuitive, though. I want my defence to drop deep, but have the rest of the team hassle the opposition. My individual instructions hammer that point home.

Irl if your defence drop deep while the remaining 6 players press high up, you will leave a gaping hole where you midfield should be as players are getting dragged out of position all over the place. Sure, you might win the ball in a more dangerous position (as I suppose is your intention) but if your pressing players are taken out of the game by a quick phase of passing by the opposition, your pressers will be out of position, tired from the exertion of pressing, watching the opponents speed away and your defence will then be outnumbered. Pressing high up the pitch works well irl when it is complemented by a high defence. This restricts the opposition's passing options and also theoretically makes it easier for your team to win the ball, whether it is through interceptions, poor passing from the opponents or good pressing by your offensive players.

Whether FM14 replicates this realistically is another matter, mind you. I'm not saying such tactics should lead to 3-5 scorelines, neither, but I'm trying to explain the flaw in your tactical thinking.

That seems really wonky. Have you tried playing a game with one of the standard tactics without tweaking anything - just to see if there are issues there as well?

Also, why is your right winger playing in yellow?

It's this attitude that will stop people from highlighting their concerns. Is it not better to bring something up and be 'wrong' (in your opinion, that is) rather than stay silent?

The person brought it up and called it shameful. About 10 posts later, Stoke have been finishing up and down the table.

As I said to that same person, unless Stoke are consistently finishing up there, perhaps due to an issue/s in the ME etc, its hardly a bug.

The only way to get any detail into that would be for him to upload the save.

My laptop keeps overheating during matches. When I turn it back on it says a "thermal shutdown occurred".

I never had any problems with my laptop when playing FM13.

Any ideas? Do I just need a better laptop?!!

If you're using Windows, try going to the "control panel" and then "power options". Click on "change plan settings" on the active plan and then "advanced power settings". Under "processor power management" set the "maximum processor state" to 99% instead of 100%.

That prevented my Intel processor from activating turbo boost which caused overheating.

That seems really wonky. Have you tried playing a game with one of the standard tactics without tweaking anything - just to see if there are issues there as well?

Also, why is your right winger playing in yellow?

I think that was a rendering issue. I'm not too sure.

I had played 10 or so matches with the tactic shown in the video (not always with the same instructions) without anything remotely similar happen.

Hey guys,

I am training Galatasaray at the moment and looking at my financial projections. There's a massive spike in next season's projections. Both income and expenditure are doubled to 250m Euros and 230m Euros respectively. In current season they are around 125m range. And the projection for season after next is back to 120m range again. Salaries remain more or less constant at 65m range. I don't have any debts payments that haven't already started. I don't have any installations planned and the transfer installments don't really explain the 100m spike. I have spent 30m total including down payments. Also there's nothing really explaining why my income will double as well.

I like keeping a close eye on the financial situation. So if anyone has any ideas or experiences, it would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Stop defending

We all know zouma is not worth 80m. Bids of around 20-35 would be accepted in real life

Fm has always been silly in regards to transfers

Bale was sold for 80 odd, can you really say zouma is worth that much?

It needs to be fixed it's the one thing that annoys me in the game

Can you really say Bale was worth that much?

Really? The game keeps any modifications you do during a match to your preset tactics?

No it's not true, wish people wouldn't making such obviously wrong statements.

TBH I'm pretty happy post update so will leave the game alone until release day and start a game after a bit of editing (local team put in Conference South with no staff or players) appetite is building nicely :)

Managers being sacked too early looks like it's been tweaked (from what I've seen) and condition of the centre backs is at least manageable if you rotate (not realistic though)

I play commentary only so won't see ME faults that others do but ignorance is bliss - if I don't notice them my enjoyment isn't impacted

Come on Friday!! :D

Have some of the press conference abnormalities been fixed in '14?

Examples include:

> After a draw being asked about confidence from wins and the only answer being "each win brings..." surely after a draw it should be "each point", or "each unbeaten game" - I get the sentiment but its written wrong if you've not just won

> Not having the option to say "I don't know him" or "I'm looking forward to meeting him properly after the game" when coming up against a manager you've never been up against for the first time and being asked what you think about him - we do/don't get on isn't really appropriate

> Not having the option to say he's 16/17 and is one for the future when paying more than a few million for a youngster. You get asked about looking to the future but it doesn't seem to set the expectations of fans - i.e. you get monthly reports saying their unhappy with the situation regarding player x when he's not ready for the first team

Also any chance SI have sorted the unhappy fans because a player has left at the end of their contract or who'd been a back up for ages and left? Small but irritating thing for me. Fans IRL realise when the club is outstripping the player even if they have played hundreds of games. When Holt left Norwich this season it was seen as the right thing for player and club, likewise the old championship players have been moved out over time and the fans get that as the club moves forwards. In FM they would be unhappy at the decisions

I think that was a rendering issue. I'm not too sure.

I had played 10 or so matches with the tactic shown in the video (not always with the same instructions) without anything remotely similar happen.

Odd. It could be one specifc combination of instructions that's causing it, then.

Does anyone know if is possible in FM2014 when playing as national team boss or even club boss to ask a player to consider taking on nationality for the country he is playing in? Eg in 2013 I had French Keepe Areola at Rangers for 7 years. He was never capped at any level but 'saw no point' in taking on UK nationality. Is there a feature to now ask players like this to consider it?

Secondly, has anyone plans to add the Thai league to make them playable?

Doesn't the "pass into space" do a similar thing if you combine it with a possession based approach, and less dribbling and long shots?

Sure, I could always tweak it through player instructions by using dribble less. I just find it odd that we have run at defence instruction but the opposite instruction is removed.

If i'm not mistaken pass into space only affects through balls, so it's not the same thing. Actually now I noticed that pass to feet is also gone from options.

Does anyone know if is possible in FM2014 when playing as national team boss or even club boss to ask a player to consider taking on nationality for the country he is playing in? Eg in 2013 I had French Keepe Areola at Rangers for 7 years. He was never capped at any level but 'saw no point' in taking on UK nationality. Is there a feature to now ask players like this to consider it?

I don't think there is. It should be, and I have requested it in the wishlist thread, but I don't think there is such an option. Yet.

Contract negotiations still make no sense at times. I'd offered my defender a new contract, which his agent eventually accepted. In the time between him accepting this contract and it being confirmed, I played another game in which he played really well, and his agent came to me saying his client deserved an improved contract.

There was no way of saying "You're about to sign an improved contract", I only had the choice of either re-negotiating or refusing to offer a new contract, which upsets the player every single time. So I try to re-negotiate the contract, which the agent this time declines and ends the discussion. The player then comes to me saying he's upset that he isn't being offered an improved contract, and again there's no option to say "Your agent declined the improved contract", all I can do is say he doesn't deserve one, he needs to prove he deserves one, I'll be offering him a new one within a month (which again I won't be able to do,now that the agent has ended discussions) or he will be offered one at the end of the season, which is when his current contract expires.

I don't think there is. It should be, and I have requested it in the wishlist thread, but I don't think there is such an option. Yet.

You can't ask them to but they do it anyway, specifically in leagues like Argentina where there's a 4 foreigner limit, I'm in my third season and two Brazilians have already done so for me.

A minor but inconvenient and slightly frustrating little bug here:

In the A-League, players who come in via the youth intake are NOT automatically set as available for the Youth team. This means either having to manually go through every player to set their availability, or (as I've done a couple times) forget to do so and they go a year or two without playing any games!

nb: this is the only league I've played so not sure of scope

Contract negotiations still make no sense at times. I'd offered my defender a new contract, which his agent eventually accepted. In the time between him accepting this contract and it being confirmed, I played another game in which he played really well, and his agent came to me saying his client deserved an improved contract.

There was no way of saying "You're about to sign an improved contract", I only had the choice of either re-negotiating or refusing to offer a new contract, which upsets the player every single time. So I try to re-negotiate the contract, which the agent this time declines and ends the discussion. The player then comes to me saying he's upset that he isn't being offered an improved contract, and again there's no option to say "Your agent declined the improved contract", all I can do is say he doesn't deserve one, he needs to prove he deserves one, I'll be offering him a new one within a month (which again I won't be able to do,now that the agent has ended discussions) or he will be offered one at the end of the season, which is when his current contract expires.

Obviously the timing screwed that up and the game couldn't get its head round it, worth bug reporting with the save game because it should be preventable.

i've just noticed the Squad Training Happiness pie chart. its a good piece of information, but i have one player unhappy and no easy way to find out who it is.

am i missing somethign, or do i have to trawl through my players to find the unhappy one? i've hovered over the pie chart and the stats but i'm not able to click on anything.

actually, the same would go for the Squad Fitness pie chart too.

would be good to be able to click something that would take you to the Team Page with the required Filter already set to show unhappy players or those that aren't fully fit, depending on what part of the pie you clicked.

Obviously the timing screwed that up and the game couldn't get its head round it, worth bug reporting with the save game because it should be preventable.

Cheers, will do.

Most annoying thing is this is at the start of February, and it's the first thing in the game that's actually annoyed me. Well, besides my players being rubbish, but that's actually because my players are rubbish. :D

It's not true

You set a Team Instruction, when you pull up shouts during thr game to make changes the starting strategy is the one listed , you can make change on the fly. At the start of the next game the tactics are set at the ones you have selected as your starting tactics.

Agree 100% with the reply Mons gave you.

For a real-life example, watch the first half of England vs Germany in the 2010 World Cup. Our midfield press high up the pitch while our defensive line stays deep. Result is that Germany pass through us into the space between the back 4 and the rest of the team and repeatedly shred us to pieces.

So far I have played some matches and I am getting spammed by my physio about CR7.. After every match he is "a little jaded and could do with a rest" ...but if I pick him for a match, his starting condition is always more than 96% and at the end of a match his condition is about 75, 76% more or less, it depends on a opposition and marking, knocking etc.. I gave him a week long rest and nothing changed...a bug?

So it is final day of the season. Man Utd and Chelsea are both in their respective games vs weak opponent. The title race down to the wire, only one point between them.

We get the media article, "Premier Division Weekend Preview". What is the "top clash" of the weekend? Newcastle vs Tottenham. Two clubs 6th and 7th respectively with no change possible between them... Great work media! The media system needs some fine tuning in what to acknowledge in the game world, it really detracts from the authenticity. I can't imagine Sky Sports disregarding the title race between two world clubs for some 6/7th position clash that has no effect on the League standings.

So it is final day of the season. Man Utd and Chelsea are both in their respective games vs weak opponent. The title race down to the wire, only one point between them.

We get the media article, "Premier Division Weekend Preview". What is the "top clash" of the weekend? Newcastle vs Tottenham. Two clubs 6th and 7th respectively with no change possible between them... Great work media! The media system needs some fine tuning in what to acknowledge in the game world, it really detracts from the authenticity. I can't imagine Sky Sports disregarding the title race between two world clubs for some 6/7th position clash that has no effect on the League standings.

Good point. I guess the system at the moment picks whatever match has the highest position when you take the average of the two teams. So a 6 vs 7 match is higher than a 1 vs 20, even tho the latter might decide the title.

Would be awesome if the game could be made to recognize situations like the one you describe.

I agree with this 100% the ability seem to matter much less since 2013 and same for this version, a player with 15 in pace isnt really faster than with 5.

Similarly, players with great finishing, composure etc stats, finish at a similar level as players with much less.

Liking the ME in 2014 the game play seems much improved, only issues I notice is the above as well as chance conversion seems very low for me.

• Administrators
Different outcome of press conference than expected.

E3XCfKd.jpg

Definitely didn't storm out.

Sure you didn't press the Storm Out button by accident? I've done it once or twice considering where the positioning of the button is.

am enjoying the beta...haven't read through much so apologise if I am bringing up issues

the player ratings seem a bit off at the moment...my centre halves and full backs are regularly getting 8/9 out of 10 in matches in which they do absolutely nothing of note.

But my offensive players struggle to get those figures ...regularly games in which they get goals and assists- they are ending the game with about a 7.2

I think the defensive positioning could do with a bit of tweaking as well- I have some very intelligent defenders just standing in mental places are get cut up easy on the counter

The only other issue I noticed- although there are plenty of goals- I don’t know if they are all coming from the right places- i'm finding whereas I score from set pieces every match- the shooting is wildly inaccurate in one on ones and whatnots both for and against me...half way through my second season and I've never had my striker score a one on one and it hardly ever happens against me.

I did think that maybe the game was just underrating giroud- so I went all out for ballotelli, and apart from him rather predictably being a right moody turd, he’s dong no better in those kind of chances.

I’m also hitting the crossbar every single match- often from mis-hit crosses.....

Agree with all that, you've just written my feedback on the game for me, so thanks. :) Saves me the bother.

I like the new shouts-sy way of setting up a team tactically. Makes it a lot more clearer on how to ask your team to play the way you want them to rather than those pesky sliders.

Archived