FM2014 Pre-Release Beta *UPDATE* Feedback thread

Can you cite any examples of amateurs moving from Scotland to England, or vice versa, ONLY for footballing reasons?

I moved from Norway to England only for footballing reasons. No contract, no nothing.

Wasn't successful, but that's a whole different story. :D

• Replies 943
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fact is you just don't know how good a player will become - would Sporting have sold Ronaldo for £16M if they knew how good he'd become or would they have quoted United £80M to get them to leave it? It's always a gamble IRL

Do AI teams get to see what the PA is for their players?

Developers would probably say no but asking silly money for kids suggests otherwise IMO - it can't just be based on a coaches assessment of their youth players

Your not reading what has been said.

SI put that into the game intentionally because people would moan that clubs would just say no to any offer if they didnt want to sell, it was argued that you should be able to throw money at an offer to get the AI to budge, so SI changed it so rather than just say no, the AI club would ask for stupid money.

The only reason the AI is asking for stupid money, is because it does not want to sell the player, no other reason. If you really really want to take the player they really want to hold onto, your going to have to spend sums of money that the player is not worth.

Same as if somone wanted to buy my top youth prospect, there is no way id let him leave unless i was getting offered crazy money, and even then id have to consider if its really worth while.

Awful Finishing

Gotta say, the Finishing in this version is shocking and draining all the fun out of the game. I've never been this frustrated playing FM. I spend hours developing a tactic which plays well and creates chances but the players just can't hit the target.

"Work Ball into the Box" doesn't work. I've got defensive midfielders shooting from 30 yards and hitting the corner flag (don't have shoot from distance PPM). A player with 16 Finishing, 16 Composure, 18 Technique, 17 Decisions and 19 First Touch (Juan Mata) has failed to score from about 10 CCCs. I would accept it, if it happened every few games because it's normal that sometimes a team can't finish but every game?

It seems the AI has this problem as well because some of their shots have been absolutely shocking. Please tell me I'm not the only one witnessing this problem.

I'm not giving you a direct answer because it's not a simple case of 'yes' or 'no'. Football is far more complicated than that and your question was extremely simplified anyway. What if I'm the chairman of Barnet? £10m for my best youth player? Absolutely! The manager of Arsenal? No, of course not. But the manager of St-Etienne? An upper mid-table French side with no chances of winning the league? A club that are protesting against the potential tax changes in France because of the damage it could do to the clubs finances? I'm not so sure, but that's what the papers think would be a likely bid to be accepted.

Thats why i asked. Your the St Etienne manager right now, Bayern offer you £10M for that player, do you accept, yes or no?

Paper valuations mean absolutely nothing in the real world.

Thats why i asked. Your the St Etienne manager right now, Bayern offer you £10M for that player, do you accept, yes or no?

Paper valuations mean absolutely nothing in the real world.

I would need a little more expertise on the club itself to be able to answer that question. I don't think you need to be an expert to know they wouldn't ask for £80m though, and then try and negotiate even more when offered £30m.

I would just have thought that players would be willing to move nations in the UK.

Definitely not, my son was offered a contract with Cliftonville when we were on holiday there (we spent a lot of time there with the wifes family) we lived in Sussex and it wasn't remotely feasible.

Likewise he'd not have considered offers from Scottish or Welsh teams, to him they were foreign lands :D

Sploots, football finances are crazy. Was Gareth "I almost moved to Birmingham City for £3m" Bale worth £85m? Was Andy "Half a Good Season" Carroll worth £35m? Was Christian Benteke worth £25m after one season in the Premier League?

It's not what they're worth it you, it's what they're worth to the club. While going straight to £80m was a bit ridiculous, they had no desire to sell, no need to sell financially so can play hard ball. PAOK aren't exactly a footballing powerhouse, assuming this was in the same game, so he may not want to force a move through, preferring to wait for a bigger club to come in for him, or he may even want to stay at the club for a while, I know loyalty's in short supply in football but you never know.

Got to say I disagree. The bolded part is massively limited. Follow a dream, maybe, but spending half your monthly wage on rent, and not taking into account everything else is pretty short sighted. Then there's the personal aspect, forgetting about money. It just wouldn't happen.

I disagree, it could happen I know no players personally who have done it so this is all opinion of course, but as am extreme example a young lad in a foreign country who can move to the UK under the freedom of movement rules as they stand could if he was highly adaptable and hugely determined move to the UK and play for a Skrill club. He may happily take a part time £50 p/wk contract whilst working as unskilled labour working hours at min wage (net income approx. £200 p/w). He could live as comfortably as he did in his hometown on this income whilst following his "dream". I doubt that many would do this so I actually agree there should be relatively few examples of this in the game but to use another example given (and colouring it with club names as a for example) if Celtic release a 17 yr old who is only of English L2 standard and no further potential, such a player would be a good recruit for a Skrill club, and if for example Gateshead offered him £400 p/w I am sure if he was serious about his career he would accept. I am not saying any of this would happen but it could and as such justifies such outcomes.

A lot of low income earners spend half their wages on accommodation, and as for the "personal" concerns the chance to be a pro-footballer could be all that matters to some youngsters if logistically possible and they would I'm sure make sacrifices for that.

As for footballers being shortsighted:

Making racist tweets

Accumulating multiple criminal convictions

Breaking the rules on betting for pro-footballers

Drink driving

.....etc.

Yes footballers are capable of being shortsighted, often

I would suggest as this is Beta thread off topic we use the new thread I have started if the subject needs further discussion

(see "Lower League player recruitment issues – “offer it and they will come”…. or not"

I'm having a feeling there is quite a lot serious injuries. I had Smalling out for 9 months, Fellaini and Kagawa out for 3 months, RVP out for two months. Rarely is there an injury of a week, 2 weeks,few days..maybe it's just coincidence.

For sure. You just don't get the point of that question. You asked earlier who would pay 30m for Zouma and Bale is example that there is enought craziness to do so in real world. By the way, check how much Borussia paid for Aubameyang and then consider again 30m for Zouma.

Fact is you just don't know how good a player will become - would Sporting have sold Ronaldo for £16M if they knew how good he'd become or would they have quoted United £80M to get them to leave it? It's always a gamble IRL

Do AI teams get to see what the PA is for their players?

Developers would probably say no but asking silly money for kids suggests otherwise IMO - it can't just be based on a coaches assessment of their youth players

I will have to second that. I have a croatian regen in my list who is bombarded by bids from ManU, Barca, Porto, ManC and Chelsea and Dinamo will not sell not even for the stupid 30m bid man C made for a regen at 17!!!

Clearly the AI knows the player is hot and won't sell.

I will have to second that. I have a croatian regen in my list who is bombarded by bids from ManU, Barca, Porto, ManC and Chelsea and Dinamo will not sell not even for the stupid 30m bid man C made for a regen at 17!!!

Clearly the AI knows the player is hot and won't sell.

I dunno, I've just got a regen in that my Head of Youth development tells me "could be the greatest player of his generation" I'm not sure I'd accept any kind of money for him.

Hey bud, I have been playing this for 12 years now but I am ashamed to say I have no idea what a PKD is :). First time Beta testing and posting so I would appreciate some help.

He meant PKM. They are the files that are created when you save a single match. You should definitely upload yours in the bugs forum because I've been having the same issues as you (especially with the long shots ppm).

In the discussion of lower league players moving clubs, I must say that it is too hard loaning players. I have trie as a skrill south team loaning u21 players from skrill premier teams. And they refuse with the argument that they want their players to play at a higher level.

I would reckon it must be much better for a u21 player in skrill premier to play first team football in skrill south than playing for the reserves in skrill premier?

For sure. You just don't get the point of that question. You asked earlier who would pay 30m for Zouma and Bale is example that there is enought craziness to do so in real world. By the way, check how much Borussia paid for Aubameyang and then consider again 30m for Zouma.

I think your getting confused here, i only said its unlikely anyone would bid £30M for this particular 18 year old, Bale is another story altogether.

Sorry in advance if its already been discussed, but i havent read all the 6 pages...

I think there is some probelm with coachs. It shows me that i have 9 coachs and cant sign anymore. for the U21 U18 is says i have 1/7.

The thing is, that i have just 6 coachs for the team and the rest is for the U18 U21.

The game calculates is as all the coachs, no matther what the role is - as main team staff.

He meant PKM. They are the files that are created when you save a single match. You should definitely upload yours in the bugs forum because I've been having the same issues as you (especially with the long shots ppm).

Thx I read the BETA instructions and sorted it. I also uploaded the pkms.

Can you cite any examples of amateurs moving from Scotland to England, or vice versa, ONLY for footballing reasons?

When the FM contract system start simulating players moving for non-football reasons then we can talk about real players moving for purely football reasons. Until then I think it's fair that sometimes players should be willing to move as a sort of "fudge factor" for the natural movement of players IRL.

In the discussion of lower league players moving clubs, I must say that it is too hard loaning players. I have trie as a skrill south team loaning u21 players from skrill premier teams. And they refuse with the argument that they want their players to play at a higher level.

Massive improvement! I cant believe that SI finally made the lower leagues more challenging (which is great) and now some people are whining! These people should go back to FM 13 and celebrate their back to back promotions.

Massive improvement! I cant believe that SI finally made the lower leagues more challenging (which is great) and now some people are whining! These people should go back to FM 13 and celebrate their back to back promotions.

I dont mind it being more challenging, but wouldn't you as a skrill premier manager consider loaning out a player who will not get first team matches to a team in skrill south? At least for a couple of months. For footballing reasons it must be better for a player gaining valuable first team experiences than playing for your reserve team?

Why would a Conference team reject its youth players getting first team experience at the level below, assuming they have set them as being available for loan?

Unless it's a case of a top, full time Conference club (ie - Cambridge or Luton) wanting the player in the same division, it's silly. There's making lower leagues more challenging realistically (ie - players not moving abroad) and there's making it unnecessarily more challenging (ie - can't sign anyone).

I dont mind it being more challenging, but wouldn't you as a skrill premier manager consider loaning out a player who will not get first team matches to a team in skrill south? At least for a couple of months. For footballing reasons it must be better for a player gaining valuable first team experiences than playing for your reserve team?

It happens constantly, even with experienced Conference players dropping down for a month or two after injury. The game doesn't reflect this well at all.

It happens constantly, even with experienced Conference players dropping down for a month or two after injury. The game doesn't reflect this well at all.

That's what I thought. I know Halifax had a couple of good loanees last season and the season before that.

Luton Town season one Beta test

Players in and appearances

Gonzalo Rico 35 (1), Danny Gardner 12 (2), Marvin McCoy 25(7), Aaron Morris 29 (4), Samba Kanoute 36 (3), Jan Kozak 4(1), Aijaz Cotman 5,Pablo Mills 5, Oliver Risser 9 (5)

Best average ten games plus Samba Kanoute (D) 7.62

Assists Jake Howells 15

Goals Mark Cullen 31

Pass completion Arnaud Mendy 87%

Tackles Scott Griffiths 5.74

Dribbles Jake Howells 3.47

Tactics various but the most affective being my own, 3 at the back, wing backs diamond midfield, one striker and no wingers. Also used, during the middle of the season, Gyro or variations of it, different 451, and wonder tactic 41221, I tried various other tactics at the start of the season to less effect.

Friendly’s, two won, one draw, three losses, I was experimenting a fair amount, once the season started I used the tactic that I had been using in FM 2013, least wise an FM 2014 version and consequently won my opening four games. After that I began experimenting with other tactics, saving and restarting to see what worked. Although I won the league and the FA trophy it would be unfair to claim an outright win in the league because of the saving and replying of matches about five games in fact, however, after the update I reverted to my own tactic and won all thirteen of my remaining matches outright, no replays, although the last two were played with a 3 2 2 1 2 tactic, a sweeper, two center backs, complete WBs, two in midfield (DLP, BWM) a SS right of center, a poacher in the middle and a false 9 to his left, both 1-0s.

Of the changes this year I have to say I’m impressed, press conferences have a new lease of life although much more work is needed for variation and realism, a couple of possible bugs. 1. Being asked if I felt we were still on track to win the league when we had already won by a country mile. 2. My comments in support of another manager being viewed by him in a negative fashion.

Love the new tactical system it seems far more realistic, you tell your players where to play and how to play and let them get on with it, slider instructions in relation to how far up or down the pitch or how far across seem like table football to me. Especially pleased that in this version mangers in the lower leagues don’t have a nice long list of free transfer talented foreigners to bring in; it was far too easy in earlier versions to pick up talented Europeans on free transfers.

The ME, certainly an improvement since the update it has not impaired my teams ability to score and the better defending means that in games where I dominate possession and chances I tend to keep clean sheets. Full back defending needs some work, as does GK distribution, still too many bar strikes to be realistic IMO and some work needed on some animations, goal keeper kicking especially, also still too many instances of players seemingly daydreaming or running away from the ball rather than to it, and as has been mentioned headers always seem to loop.

You're all right about the transfer fees and such ... How can Juve demand at least 300mil for Pogba ? WTF Happened to me when i was managing Liverpool, i made a bid to test them and i thought i'm not seeing right.

And stop trying to justify this, just like in previous versions when Arsenal were demanding 200 mil for Fabregas and IRL he went for almost 40 mil.

• Administrators
You're all right about the transfer fees and such ... How can Juve demand at least 300mil for Pogba ? WTF Happened to me when i was managing Liverpool, i made a bid to test them and i thought i'm not seeing right.

And stop trying to justify this, just like in previous versions when Arsenal were demanding 200 mil for Fabregas and IRL he went for almost 40 mil.

But in the end Arsenal only sold Cesc when he made it unreasonable for them to keep him. Before that point they continually stated he wasn't for sale.

Not taking sides here but didn't Fabregas actually want to go to Barcelona? that must have forced the cost down ultimately.

(EDIT) Neil pipped me to the post! (literally!)

Is that Pogba price first or second season? On my game he got a new contract worth around £25/30m in Jan 2014 which could contribute to the huge price.

How is a games company in a games computer program supposed to replicate the logic of real world transfers that happen and don't happen when there is hardly any logic in the real world?

It's a game. Just like the real world. If you can predict future market trends of what would and would never happen go work in the city and wear a suit with all the other idiots.

I think some people would moan if, in their game, Liverpool signed some tall, gangly hairy Geordie who couldn't even play for his country regularly for £35M then loaned him out/sold him not much more than a year later without ever really using him. Or if Ferguson signed some Portuguese forward for £7.5M from a team in Portugal, a team he had only signed for a few weeks beforehand from amateurs for free, yet never saw him play and never really played him either once he'd splashed the cash.

They're both bugs and just off the top of my head. If that happened in real life....oh wait. :(

It's easy to point out problems, try expending the energy in to giving some solutions to how you think it could be fixed? Way beyond me, so I'll just listen with baited breath. :D

Does anyone else have the problem with 2d Classic mode being too jerky and stuttery to play?

I've had this problem for years with FM, on every machine I've used. There's a somewhat unsatisfactory fix here:- http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/185054-Stuttering-in-2D-classic-mode-fix! (This was actually posted by me in my old login before I lost it in the forum reset thing). This fix helps a bit, but it's not great. Will I ever have a proper fix so I can play a smooth 2d Classic mode?

I have two questions:

1. Why when my players have a shot it is always a) lightly rolled to their keeper or b) hits the only opposition player in the nearest 5 yards?

and

2. Can we have a "Stay on your bloody line" shout for goalkeepers?

Hm.

Just took over a team in the Irish Premier Division. Before i joined each team were averaging around 2.3 goals per game. 10 games into me being there and the average for all teams including mine has gone up to about 3.4. Bug? I noticed when managing in the BSN that the BSS had lower scores, and when managing in the WPL i noticed they spiked.

As Jibby says, was that not put in place because of the number of "every player has his price" complaints on here? If clubs flat out refused someone who had £200M in the bank they would moan its unrealistic.

Its almost impossible for SI to win at this.

No it isn't. They can make a realistic system which doesn't make it so easy for the player to know everything about a transfer target so easily and conclusively. No team would offer £10 million for an unknown Ivorian youngster because of the risk, which isn't represented AT ALL in the game. And no Ivorian team would reject that sum.

The ridiculous asking prices, particularly for youth players are just a lazy way of masking this issue, instead of solving it.

I think everyone has missed this point so far, scouting is the real issue.

No it isn't. They can make a realistic system which doesn't make it so easy for the player to know everything about a transfer target so easily and conclusively. No team would offer £10 million for an unknown Ivorian youngster because of the risk, which isn't represented AT ALL in the game. And no Ivorian team would reject that sum.

The ridiculous asking prices, particularly for youth players are just a lazy way of masking this issue, instead of solving it.

I think everyone has missed this point so far, scouting is the real issue.

Yeah but we're talking about a very well known future prospect here, not an complete unknown. He is also coming from a club not desperate for money. Im pretty sure no Ivorian team will ever turn down £10m for a player, i have never seen that happen in game any time i have bought african wonderkids. Infact they are by far the cheapest to pick up.

Anyway, none of this has anything to do with the post you quoted. The complaint before was that a club would entertain offers of a ridiculous nature if they were offered them, so SI changed the game so clubs would no longer just say no, they would ask for ridiculous prices instead, which was what the community wanted, now the community is moaning about the change it wanted.

Madness.

Anyway, none of this has anything to do with the post you quoted. The complaint before was that a club would entertain offers of a ridiculous nature if they were offered them, so SI changed the game so clubs would no longer just say no, they would ask for ridiculous prices instead, which was what the community wanted, now the community is moaning about the change it wanted.

Madness.

I was just following in late on the discussion. You said this:

Again, in real life would anyone offer £30M for him? Its useless citing real life to back up your point if you ignore the reverse of it.

Regardless of the player in question, why is the player willing to offer £30M when you clearly say that IRL nobody would offer this much?

The answer, as I wrote in my post, is because the player can gauge the ability and potential of the player with a higher level of certainty.

This level of certainty reduces the risk, which consequently increases the value.

This is everything to do with the discussion because it is the single most important point, and the root cause of the problem.

Regardless of the player in question, why is the player willing to offer £30M when you clearly say that IRL nobody would offer this much?

The answer, as I wrote in my post, is because the player can gauge the ability and potential of the player with a higher level of certainty.

This level of certainty reduces the risk, which consequently increases the value.

This is everything to do with the discussion because it is the single most important point, and the root cause of the problem.

But the user i was speaking too is NOT willing to spend that money on the player, despite knowing everything about him.

Im struggling to understand your point with my posts on this occasion.

But the user i was speaking too is NOT willing to spend that money on the player, despite knowing everything about him.

That's ok, I can see you have issues with understanding things. Let me recap.

I just bid £5m for Kurt Zouma. St-Etienne negotiated to £80m... how reasonable. Not the first time this has happened either. I know you can negotiate down but after offering £30m up front (which itself is a ridiculous amount of money for an 18-year-old with 40 league games under his belt) they still wanted £44m.

So he's offered £30M straight. Unlike you claim.

It's probably a hint that they don't want to sell unless you're willing to spend an extravagant amount of money. It's been that way for a few years now.
I can understand that but £80m? It's just not realistic. In real life there is no way they'd turn down £30m up front if it was offered to them right now.

I know it's just paper talk but the rumours around summer were that St-Etienne could consider a bid of around £10m.

At which point you enter with this truth:

In real life there is no way they would be offered £30M for an 18 year old with 40 league games under his belt.

Which is the post I quoted and then responded to. Specifically when I said:

Not sure how that run of events isn't understandable to you.

You're coming at it from completely different points, and get both points, but to YKW to use an extreme example of how to judge the worth of a player or improve the scouting unrealistic thingy, would you want to go and watch the guy for 90 mins over a few months playing for his team to judge him or his value? Send a scout to give you one liners of feedback to tell you he "only came on for 10 minutes, it was muddy and sleeting and he was wearing gloves but didn't really do much because he didn't need to, his team were winning 4-0, you want me to carry on watching him next week? If he plays.".

That would go down a bomb with players of FM who are just playing a game. How realistic do you want it to real life? You can judge a player that well on the current ME? :(

You're coming at it from completely different points, and get both points, but to YKW to use an extreme example of how to judge the worth of a player or improve the scouting unrealistic thingy, would you want to go and watch the guy for 90 mins over a few months playing for his team to judge him or his value? Send a scout to give you one liners of feedback to tell you he "only came on for 10 minutes, it was muddy and sleeting and he was wearing gloves but didn't really do much because he didn't need to, his team were winning 4-0, you want me to carry on watching him next week? If he plays.".

That would go down a bomb with players of FM who are just playing a game. How realistic do you want it to real life? You can judge a player that well on the current ME? :(

I actually wrote an extensive post around here somewhere about an idea called "attribute blurring." Basically it would mean that during scouting, in between transitioning from invisible to fully known, the stats would also have a period where they are shown in a range. For example, Zouma's Anticipation is between 7 and 19 after one week scouting. After another month (depending on the quality of the scout) the range shown may now be 11-14. Some scouts would be unable to totally reveal a player's attributes, so you would only see them for sure once you had signed them. This way I would have to spend time scouting a player (which is realistic) and yet may never totally know that player before he joins me (which, crucially, adds risk, and is also realistic.)

This is a small change that would represent a HUGE increase in realism, and I don't think it would "go down a bomb."

The issue which I thought we were contending is on whom is the burden of realism? Milnerpoint seems to believe that it is on the player not to make unrealistic offers, and others think it down to the AI to not refuse offers which IRL would definitely be accepted. My point is that it is on neither, and the unrealism comes from the system not working, and clearly so.

Archived