*Official* Football Manager 2013 Constructive non-ME Feedback Thread

Thanks to those who've posted or PMed me to tell me that my advice has helped them enjoy FM13 and its ME. Unfortunately, I am no longer prepared to defend myself from those who don't read what I'm writing, aren't willing to take any advice on board or accept that they might be doing something wrong. I don't get paid for this and it is becoming a stressful rather than enjoyable experience. Consequently, I am going to take a break from posting on these forums.

I sincerely hope everyone enjoys FM13 once the new ME update is released.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks to those who've posted or PMed me to tell me that my advice has helped them enjoy FM13 and its ME. Unfortunately, I am no longer prepared to defend myself from those who don't read what I'm writing, aren't willing to take any advice on board or accept that they might be doing something wrong. I don't get paid for this and it is becoming a stressful rather than enjoyable experience. Consequently, I am going to take a break from posting on these forums.

Really sorry that you take this position, tough i can understand the reasons!

Hope you'll get bet in the forums soon!

I'm growing tired of the constant abuse directed at wwfan... he's posting in here because he's trying to help those who are struggling. I'm shocked he hasn't given up as of yet as the abuse is getting silly.

wwfan has been the 1st to note that the ME isn't perfect and needs work.. which is illustrated by the fact that there are patches being worked on right now.

Abusing a member of the mods or the SI team is not acceptable, just as abuse of any member of the forums isn't acceptable.

If I see one more 'you are delusional' type messages, infractions are likely to follow.

I completely appreciate the frustration people are having, I'm having it also... But it's a new game, a new ME and will take time to get used to, as well as the incoming improvements to the obvious flaws (which btw, no-one has denied).

I understand it can seem frustrating also, when you hear that the issue is your tactics, but we all have to accept that if the AI can do something and succeed, we can also, it's just a matter of understanding how the ME has changed and how to adapt to them. And as I said, wwfan is on here trying to help people, usually with comprehensive answers and instructions on how people can improve the issues they are having, and there are a small minority who are insisting on abusing him for the help he offers.

If you have genuine constructive feedback, provide it here... politely.

If you have issues with the ME or any other part of the game and think it needs fixing, post in the bug reporting forum here:

http://community.sigames.com/forumdisplay.php/291-Football-Manager-2013-Bugs-Forum

If you are having issues with tactics .. this is where you post:

http://community.sigames.com/forumdisplay.php/18-Tactics-amp-Training-Discussion.

Thanks all.

I'll just say this and nothing more because this whole situation is an unfixable mess.

The real problems with the TC, the ME and the AI are:

a) There are no stable rules to govern them. Every year something changes with no proper reason or explanation to the player. The game should give the player the tools and punish or reward him accordingly to his choices, not according the choices of the designer/programmer. I don't know if that's even possible though. For the moment FM is not a sandbox game, it's a linear game that the player has to learn its rules, as were created by its designers. It's sad but that's the way it is.

b) The TC, ME and A.I. very rarely reveal in a proper and logical way the tactical errors of the players, hence why no one, for example, doesn't seem to know why he lost, why a winger crosses a lot (when he is told not to) and why a player shoots a lot (when he is told not to).

These are the biggest problems of the game and they will continue to be with us until SI gets some proper team together, receives funds and time from SEGA to actually redesign the whole game.

Every year it has been the same and every year we buy the game and complain. You all know what the game is and what holds for us each year. That means that if you buy the game you don't have a right to complain because you know what you are buying.

You can accept this and hope for the best or simply play something else because the situation simply will not change unless SI understands the two problems I posted.

It was not the advice you gave it is how you gave that advice.

I would suspect if you were a bit more friendly in your approach and did not feel the need to shove down peoples throat "X has said I am the man and I did this and that" your help would have been more accepted.

It is a shame as I feel you could have helped the game move forward with a better approach,It is what it is though.

Maybe next time we can meet on hallowed ground and not everything is black and white :)

I understand where you're coming from, but would you please take the time to answer BiggusD, post number 2896? He has a very specific question and is genuinely confused. If you could provide an explanation, I'd be grateful, too, as I've encountered similar issues.

Don't think no one appreciates your efforts. :)

b) The TC, ME and A.I. very rarely reveal in a proper and logical way the tactical errors of the players, hence why no one, for example, doesn't seem to know why he lost, why a winger crosses a lot (when he is told not to) and why a player shoots a lot (when he is told not to).

THIS. Big problem is that tactical errors are displayed as obvious individual player errors. It would be fine if it showed you players positioned wrongly leaving big gaps etc. But no, its always a player doing something insanly stupid.

Surely the point is that if the AI can do it, you can also do it? And that bugs will affect the user and the AI equally? Thus any problems that appear to affect a user more than the AI are likely to be tactic related? I mean that is basic logic isn't it =z.

For example, I think we have all experienced the odd closing down, or the weird movement. And that affects user and AI equally and is hence a bug. I have noticed some utterly bizarre computer behaviour also (which actually won me my last game, the AI keeper ran away from the goal during a free kick and I scored it). Again, those are bugs.

Counter example, my current tactic I was really struggling with my players taking far far too many long shots. 18/24 in one case. This is not replicated in the AI behaviour, and was hence something I was doing wrong. Turns out I had messed up my tactic without realizing it, and had my AMC set very defensive, and my striker (a DLF) set far too attacking. This was messing up my attacking movement and there were no options for my players. Thus, too many long shots. Noticed this, fixed this, and then all my long shots came from someone with a 'shoots from distance' ppm, and I scored 3 nice goals.

I want to also note that I got INCREDIBLY frustrated by my players shooting from range, because for so long I could not work out why. I ended up playing a game over and over again changing one thing at a time and seeing how many long shots I had, to work it out. It actually put me in a really bad mood, and I totally understand the frustration.

The real point is though, you have to look at if what is affecting you is affecting the AI. If it is it is likely a bug, and should be reported as such, and tolerated because tbh there is nothing you can do til it is fixed and it will aid as well as hinder you. If it is affecting your team and not the AI, then it is likely your tactic (or your tactic is hitting a bug somehow), and then you have to analyse why this is happen. I am really not an expert in finding problems with my tactics, and thus I find it damned frustrating when this is the case. It is why having experts around to give you good advice on tactics is so nice and useful...

OH I have one, I have noticed my players like to all converge on a ball and about 6 people try to win headers (i believe this happens to the AI also). My defenders also have an obsession with heading the ball out of the hands of my own goalkeeper =z! I don't understand that one at all, and I think it happens to me more than the AI. BAd teamwork maybe?

I understand where you're coming from, but would you please take the time to answer BiggusD, post number 2896? He has a very specific question and is genuinely confused. If you could provide an explanation, I'd be grateful, too, as I've encountered similar issues.

Don't think no one appreciates your efforts. :)

Quick tempo & no support runners means the tactic will regularly lose possession around the final third. Very low d-line and pressing results in everyone then immediately backing off the ball player. All the AI needs is a good pass and a quick FC to completely bypass the retreating d-line.

Surely the point is that if the AI can do it, you can also do it? And that bugs will affect the user and the AI equally? Thus any problems that appear to affect a user more than the AI are likely to be tactic related? I mean that is basic logic isn't it =z.

For example, I think we have all experienced the odd closing down, or the weird movement. And that affects user and AI equally and is hence a bug. I have noticed some utterly bizarre computer behaviour also (which actually won me my last game, the AI keeper ran away from the goal during a free kick and I scored it). Again, those are bugs.

Counter example, my current tactic I was really struggling with my players taking far far too many long shots. 18/24 in one case. This is not replicated in the AI behaviour, and was hence something I was doing wrong. Turns out I had messed up my tactic without realizing it, and had my AMC set very defensive, and my striker (a DLF) set far too attacking. This was messing up my attacking movement and there were no options for my players. Thus, too many long shots. Noticed this, fixed this, and then all my long shots came from someone with a 'shoots from distance' ppm, and I scored 3 nice goals.

I want to also note that I got INCREDIBLY frustrated by my players shooting from range, because for so long I could not work out why. I ended up playing a game over and over again changing one thing at a time and seeing how many long shots I had, to work it out. It actually put me in a really bad mood, and I totally understand the frustration.

The real point is though, you have to look at if what is affecting you is affecting the AI. If it is it is likely a bug, and should be reported as such, and tolerated because tbh there is nothing you can do til it is fixed and it will aid as well as hinder you. If it is affecting your team and not the AI, then it is likely your tactic (or your tactic is hitting a bug somehow), and then you have to analyse why this is happen. I am really not an expert in finding problems with my tactics, and thus I find it damned frustrating when this is the case. It is why having experts around to give you good advice on tactics is so nice and useful...

OH I have one, I have noticed my players like to all converge on a ball and about 6 people try to win headers (i believe this happens to the AI also). My defenders also have an obsession with heading the ball out of the hands of my own goalkeeper =z! I don't understand that one at all, and I think it happens to me more than the AI. BAd teamwork maybe?

No, it shouldn't be that difficult. In real life a manager doesn't start testing systems and tactics to understand why his team takes so many long shots. He can see why in a second, but we can't.

Because what is the point when a mod of this forum keeps blindly saying it is the player tactic?

And on top of this SI are backing the mod saying he knows his ****?

Everytime someone posts something in this thread that is downgrading the game it is quickly pointed out that the ME is fine and the player should look at their tactics.

That is why I suggested that maybe the mods defending the game maybe take a back seat and let players vent their frustration.

Even the Mod you're talking about hasn't claimed there's nothing wrong with the ME and nor has any other Mod that I've seen, what people are trying to point out is that in spite of the ME flaws a lot of people's problems are based around their tactics.

It is more difficult to determine which is the case with the anomolies in the ME at the moment but that doesn't invalidate the point.

You know what is the most shocking thing about this game with the current ME? That it becomes BORING after a while because all matches are exactly the same. Iam tired of this game and I have played it only for two weeks. Unless the new update comes out and makes the matches more variable in terms of build up and finishing of moves of the team I will not continue playing it. FM 13: pass to winger, winger passes it back to fullback, fullback runs towards corner, stops, passes it pack to winger who passes it to midfielder who takes a long shot, boom...corner. Pass to winger, winger passes it......

This is so true. It even more glaring when you are playing with the older ME still too like I am. The matches in FM12 are way more varied and you can easily see different tactics being used. In FM13 every match looks the same.

Maybe this should be the ME complaining thread only.

Seeing as I think some other issues need to be addressed as well but are lost within the ME debate

They're not lost if they're reported in the bugs forum too but I know what you mean.

Actaully nothing new has been said about the ME for a week and as far as I can tell every glitch (real or imagined) has been entered in the bugs forum, so unless anybody actually has discovered something we've all missed I'd suggest it's time to give it a rest so you're all fresh to start again when the next update arrives :)

the new interface is just horrible, terrible, woeful, frustrating, and angering. i just cant understand who would make a decision to go from the simple and efficient FM11 interface to this ugly, cluttered, and mind numbing thing. just looking at it gives me a headache. every thing you needed to do could have been done in 1-3 clicks before. now you have to hover and make 5-6 clicks before you get to something. it is really ruining the game, i still havent played it for more than 30 minutes at once because the clicking is driving me mad. information on most pages are highly unorganized and their placement on the pages are extremely poor. for instance, get scout report on the top far left or new scout assignment on the bottom far left. before everything you needed to take action on a player was all at the same place, now the actions are all over the page. most of the pages have repeated information. for instance i can see the average ratings in the tactics screen, on the squad screen, and on the attribute screen. why do i need this stat to show in 247 more screens? this interface has taken all my excitement out, i got the game just 4 days ago very keen to play it and now i dont even want to load it up. the inteface is much less smooth aswell.

another thing that is frustrating me is the poor choice of camera options given to us in the 3d ME. i used to play on the elevated view which was great as i could see the whole pitch and what my team is doing. this view has now been ruined as it has been changed to something that looks like from top looking down and none of the other cameras gives you a good idea of what is going on the pitch. please fix the elevated view and make it as it was before.

the ball in the ME is extremely small that you sometimes have to concentrate to see it. specially when playing in the sun it is barely visible. it needs to look bigger by at least 50%

I do agree with the interface. It's annoying how many times you have to click things when it was so much simpler on fm12. But they can't change it now, but it does make me want to go back to fm12 sometimes cause its a chore to click so many things to get that one piece of info.

Already said about the match generating thing when you click to see match details. Going through other teams games is now not as possible as it was.

I think these are two of my main gripes with the game. But they can't be changed, but I hope for fm14 it's different.

As well as pressing, is tackling being fixed? Players very rarely tackle and when they do it often results in a booking or a red card. Surely a bug.

Been discussed at great length and reported as a bug, so if there is an issue we can expect it to be addressed.

I don't mind most of the bugs in the ME such as closing down and players (not) reacting to the ball as I think most of (if not all of) these will be fixed in time. I can't, however, stand the players and ball sliding round like the match is being conducted on a sheet of glass. That the devs think the FM13 ME is an improvement over 12 with regards to this leaves me thinking I'm playing a different game to them and doesn't leave me with much hope that this will be addressed.

Quick tempo & no support runners means the tactic will regularly lose possession around the final third. Very low d-line and pressing results in everyone then immediately backing off the ball player. All the AI needs is a good pass and a quick FC to completely bypass the retreating d-line.

They have the ball in their own area at the start of the highlight and my team is advancing, not retreating. It would make sense if what you said applied to this, but it doesn't. I am not countered upon. I am lured out of my defensive position.

I can't, however, stand the players and ball sliding round like the match is being conducted on a sheet of glass. That the devs think the FM13 ME is an improvement over 12 with regards to this leaves me thinking I'm playing a different game to them and doesn't leave me with much hope that this will be addressed.

This only affects some people and is under investigation, bit weird because it isn't down to computer specs, graphics hardware/software related most likely.

They have the ball in their own area at the start of the highlight and my team is advancing, not retreating. It would make sense if what you said applied to this, but it doesn't. I am not countered upon. I am lured out of my defensive position.

Maybe your balanced philosophy and standard strategy are encouraging your players to get involved further up the pitch. The opposition are playing as they should, trying to draw you out and you have your players balanced, so getting involved further up the pitch and not sticking to position.

Maybe your balanced philosophy and standard strategy are encouraging your players to get involved further up the pitch. The opposition are playing as they should, trying to draw you out and you have your players balanced, so getting involved further up the pitch and not sticking to position.

Those two are for TC mode only. Classic don't have Philosophy and Strategy because the only things those do is to move sliders anyway.

I don't mind most of the bugs in the ME such as closing down and players (not) reacting to the ball as I think most of (if not all of) these will be fixed in time. I can't, however, stand the players and ball sliding round like the match is being conducted on a sheet of glass. That the devs think the FM13 ME is an improvement over 12 with regards to this leaves me thinking I'm playing a different game to them and doesn't leave me with much hope that this will be addressed.

here here - fix the the ice skating please

Those two are for TC mode only. Classic don't have Philosophy and Strategy because the only things those do is to move sliders anyway.

Then maybe your players' mental attributes? It does take a lot of concentration to not be drawn out against such tactics. It takes discipline for midfielders on the half way line to hold that position and not challenge a further 20 yards out if that is where the ball is being played. This then draws out your defense creating the space? Fairly high creative freedom could be contributing to this too.

I'm one of the few who has tried to be pretty positive about the ME, but the more I play the more I find the defending is truly abominable. Defenders absolutely cannot track runs AT ALL. I just played the same Liverpool/ManU match 7 times in a row and cannot count the amount of times a defender didn't even react to a run. Not once in those 7 matches was there a single clean sheet on either side. I think the average goals allowed by each side was about 3. Not once did I even use a more aggressive strategy than "standard" or "counter" and yet I still was allowing 2-4 goals per game, with world class CBs Vidic and Ferdinand.

I'm sorry but a fix is needed. Badly.

Really sad to hear this but I can understand you somehow, trying to help and then being used as the anger sponge for frustrated players can be pretty frustrating I guess.

I would suggest just to ignore those who are unwilling to learn or listen but maybe it's best to sit out the initial shitstorm and take a time out.

I agree with this, though i dont think this is a ME issue, rather a animation issue, at least i see it that way. Really hope this could be fixed, or at least improved at time for the next patch. It's one of those things that helps improving the match day experience... at least for me.

Oh and another thing... the ball still looks too small! I dont know if this is related with the camera angle i use (main stand) but the truth is... the ball looks took small!

Apart from that, the new interface is starting to look better and better. I must admit, the first time i play FM2013 i really hate the new interface and skin. Things seem to look out of place, without any logic displacement. But after a couple of days playing the game, i'm starting to find quite the opposite. Nice work there.

Issues with the ME, 3 or 4... but none that i considerer game braking:

- Bad closing down and pressing. I've seen so many times fowards running away from the defenders and getting that feeling that the defender should be getting that ball.

- When using a short pass tactic, the team just plays too much "Barcelona style". I usually play a 451 formation, and i see too many times the 3 man from the midfield that passing the ball around with no progression at all and not making the through ball to the foward of the inside forwards. This could be related to my tactic, not setting up my 3 man up front the right way to get into space, so not sure if is a ME issue, or a Keyser Soze issue! :lol:

- With the 451 formation, and not sure if this happens with other formations, when defending, the 3 men from the midfield go to deep into the defence, turning my team to a 5 men D-line with 2 more man just up front. This happens even if i use a push up D-Line. This get the opponet to score many times from shot from just outside the box where they have 2 or 3 man unmarked.

- Goalkeepers... they are bad indeed! In this particulary point FM2012 was much better. Still confident that this will get a major improvement soon.

When this issues get fixed, plus the players and ball slidding, the game will be on the spot for me. :)

It is a chronic issue about the text in FM--text too small

The size of most text is simply too small. Not everyone uses a laptop. Many people now have 20"-30" monitors with high resolution to play games. Ant-like text is unpleasantly eye-killing. I honestly don't think adding an option in Preference that allows users to enlarge the size of text is something more than a piece of cake for SI. So why not do this?--much more useful than the so-called "over 900 new features" none of which so far appears impressive to me.

I'm one of the few who has tried to be pretty positive about the ME, but the more I play the more I find the defending is truly abominable. Defenders absolutely cannot track runs AT ALL. I just played the same Liverpool/ManU match 7 times in a row and cannot count the amount of times a defender didn't even react to a run. Not once in those 7 matches was there a single clean sheet on either side. I think the average goals allowed by each side was about 3. Not once did I even use a more aggressive strategy than "standard" or "counter" and yet I still was allowing 2-4 goals per game, with world class CBs Vidic and Ferdinand.

I'm sorry but a fix is needed. Badly.

Meh, this has been happening since the 3D was introduced. Defenders not reacting properly was exactly the same on the final version of FM12, yet everyone seems to think that was far better than this current incarnate (I disagree).

Meh, this has been happening since the 3D was introduced. Defenders not reacting properly was exactly the same on the final version of FM12, yet everyone seems to think that was far better than this current incarnate (I disagree).

No way there was this level of consistently poor defending in FM12. I actually agree the ME is a big improvement in many ways, but I never had this sort of trouble keeping clean sheets with top level defenders, particularly against lower level opposition.

List getting really annoying with everyone hating on the ME. I understand there are problems but SI will release update to fix the ME. But give the mods, give the SI a break they are all trying to make the game as great as possible.

Plus people are putting me off with buying fm13.

Replayed the same match NINE times now and not gotten a single clean sheet ON EITHER SIDE. I believe I've given up multiple goals in all but 1 of the 9 trials. The average combined goals per game seems to be around 5. I'm playing with a defensive line of Santon/Ferdinand/Vidic/Rafael with CBs set to defend and fullbacks to support, and a "standard" mentality. I'm sorry but this is ridiculous, I don't see how anyone can say the defending was this poor in FM12.

No way there was this level of consistently poor defending in FM12. I actually agree the ME is a big improvement in many ways, but I never had this sort of trouble keeping clean sheets with top level defenders, particularly against lower level opposition.

I kept plenty of clean sheets on FM12, but the defensive side of the match engine was dreadful. The amount of simple balls that put players through on goal was laughable. i haven't seen nearly as many straight balls dissect the centre halves on FM13.

Are you at least agreeing with me that clean sheets seem nonexistent in FM13? Because I've put in about 45 hours of playtime and I don't think my experience can be blamed on low sample size anymore. I'm playing one of the world's best defenses (Man Utd) and playing ultra basic tactics, and I can't even keep clean sheets against crap teams like Reading and Norwich. Like I said, I've replayed the same fixture 9 times against Liverpool and neither team has kept a clean sheet.

Replayed the same match NINE times now and not gotten a single clean sheet ON EITHER SIDE. I believe I've given up multiple goals in all but 1 of the 9 trials. The average combined goals per game seems to be around 5. I'm playing with a defensive line of Santon/Ferdinand/Vidic/Rafael with CBs set to defend and fullbacks to support, and a "standard" mentality. I'm sorry but this is ridiculous, I don't see how anyone can say the defending was this poor in FM12.

Last season my goalkeeper kept a clean sheet in 50% of the matches he played in.

Also with both fullbacks on support your only defending with 2 at the back a lot of the time, especially if they have gets forward type ppm's.

AgustnOteiza_HistoryCareerStats.png

Last season my goalkeeper kept a clean sheet in 50% of the matches he played in.

Also with both fullbacks on support your only defending with 2 at the back a lot of the time, especially if they have gets forward type ppm's.

AgustnOteiza_HistoryCareerStats.png

Playing against the world's best defenders is not as important as a stress test. Something that SI is currently doing itself. These issues have already been pointed out. At this point redundant feedback is not constructive feedback.

Playing against the world's best defenders is not as important as a stress test. Something that SI is currently doing itself. These issues have already been pointed out. At this point redundant feedback is not constructive feedback.

If the guy I was responding to is going to claim being unable to keep a clean sheet in one replayed match proves the ME defensive issues are causing it, despite the fact that certain pre-match events that have a bearing on the result are already locked in place by the time he gets to match day, I don't see how pointing out the fact that with tactical choices it is possible to over come the defensive pressing issues to a large extent is any way redundant.

I've never before taken the time to thank you, but thanks for helping me understand more about the game and IMO you have had amazing patience with a minority of just a few individuals who will not move from a preset view and just want to blame something for their problems without ever considering they could be contributing.

This thread in general has made me want to avoid this forum for good, which may at least increase my enjoyment of FM!

Then maybe your players' mental attributes? It does take a lot of concentration to not be drawn out against such tactics. It takes discipline for midfielders on the half way line to hold that position and not challenge a further 20 yards out if that is where the ball is being played. This then draws out your defense creating the space? Fairly high creative freedom could be contributing to this too.

A lot of concentration? I'm sorry but no. The strategy is to park the bus. In real life, if the superior home team tried any such thing as this, the opposition team would shrug and stay in place - they would indeed be very happy for the other team to waste time in their own area, frustrating their own fans. They would certainly enjoy the boos and jeers while getting rested in their own half watching ball-rolling in the opposition area. Preferably in 90 minutes.

Is that really the case that they won't be able to fix the match report bug? I like checking my reserves and u18 results and stats and also for loan players

It is not a quick fix, but they are trying to find a way to get the functionality back. It may be in a later patch, it may not be possible without too many other negative effects.

A lot of concentration? I'm sorry but no. The strategy is to park the bus. In real life, if the superior home team tried any such thing as this, the opposition team would shrug and stay in place - they would indeed be very happy for the other team to waste time in their own area, frustrating their own fans. They would certainly enjoy the boos and jeers while getting rested in their own half watching ball-rolling in the opposition area. Preferably in 90 minutes.

This is the kind of logical thinking that doesn't exist in the ME. When the A.I. tries to counter the players' tactics it becomes a... Murinho, despite the A.I. manager's ability or the ability of its players.

That's what it feels like at least.

Archived