*Official* Football Manager 2013 Announced!

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm a little disappointed that only 12 seconds of the video is devoted to the "huge amounts" of the AI and match engine that has been re-written. This, to me, is the crucial point of the entire game. Fair enough make the game look a bit prettier with more camera angles and improved ball physics once the game has decided what highlight it needs to show but the actual tactical interpretation of instructions and what your players do on the park is the absolute crux of the game.

Hopefully there'll be more detail in future videos because nothing of note has been said so far except sales pitch: much better, already the best, re-writing the genre... ad nauseam.

The video blog released yesterday was all about the match engine.

I feel sorry for SI having to read posts like this. They add in a brand new game mode to appeal to new customers and to revive interest in some old customers whilst not messing about with the main game at all and people still aren't happy!!

Where are they being dishonest? If they choose to do implement this into the main game in a few years time then you can complain or refuse to buy it. Until then, stop throwing your toys out of the pram and be grateful!!

I dont agree with you, i also feel its a stupid feature when they could ahve spent their time concentrating on improving on what is a terrible FM12 AI. why spend all the time on new game versions when they cant even get the fundamentals of the normal game right?

PaulC, come on, spill the beans.. did you manage to complete the overhaul of the tactics and player instructions (IE on/off ball instructions, DefMid dropping to defence when on ball, Proper positioning of three central defenders etc) in FM2013, or has it been pushed to 2014.

I'm a little disappointed that only 12 seconds of the video is devoted to the "huge amounts" of the AI and match engine that has been re-written. This, to me, is the crucial point of the entire game. Fair enough make the game look a bit prettier with more camera angles and improved ball physics once the game has decided what highlight it needs to show but the actual tactical interpretation of instructions and what your players do on the park is the absolute crux of the game.

Hopefully there'll be more detail in future videos because nothing of note has been said so far except sales pitch: much better, already the best, re-writing the genre... ad nauseam.

You're spot on here Shrew, we need to wait for the demo though.

• SI Staff
PaulC, come on, spill the beans.. did you manage to complete the overhaul of the tactics and player instructions (IE on/off ball instructions, DefMid dropping to defence when on ball, Proper positioning of three central defenders etc) in FM2013, or has it been pushed to 2014.

There is no tactical overhaul for FM2013. We have reworked ball physics, some aspects of player physics and worked on improving general decision making of players. However as ever its always a work in progress and we will try to improve each element as we go on. I think for this release you can expect incremental improvements with each version update. I would certainly like to improve the relationship between DMC and centre halves in ball playing teams but as yet I havent had a chance to look into it.

do not buy the game.. FM sucks..

So why bother coming here?

The ME vlog extols the new feature of ball physics being sensitive to weather conditions, using the example of hitting long balls into the wind. But SI have always claimed the weather affects the ball in such a way. Is this an admission that until now the ME actually hasn't responded to different weather conditions?

The ME vlog extols the new feature of ball physics being sensitive to weather conditions, using the example of hitting long balls into the wind. But SI have always claimed the weather affects the ball in such a way. Is this an admission that until now the ME actually hasn't responded to different weather conditions?

I think it was more to do with how the ball reacted on different surfaces before were as now they have added how it acts when in the air etc as well, i might be wrong :)

There is no tactical overhaul for FM2013. We have reworked ball physics, some aspects of player physics and worked on improving general decision making of players. However as ever its always a work in progress and we will try to improve each element as we go on. I think for this release you can expect incremental improvements with each version update. I would certainly like to improve the relationship between DMC and centre halves in ball playing teams but as yet I havent had a chance to look into it.

So why bother coming here?

Aww, that makes me a sad panda, but thanks for the answer.

I dont agree with you, i also feel its a stupid feature when they could ahve spent their time concentrating on improving on what is a terrible FM12 AI. why spend all the time on new game versions when they cant even get the fundamentals of the normal game right?

How do you know how much time is spent on each area? I don't think it would have taken long to create FMC, since it's just a quicker way of playing the existing game.

What makes it such a terrible AI? Whilst not perfect, it's clearly the best there has ever been and not just FM but out of all football management games. So pick your toys up and put your dummy back in your mouth.

But "the bar has now been raised way, way higher"........embarrassing, overlong pause for effect!

No-one 'has' to use any micro-transactions, they won't have any influence whatsoever on the game is someone chooses not to use them. They only appear in FMC (FM is untouched) and a number of these 'unlockables' can be unlocked by just playing through - again only on the users request. If it's something you don't want to use, then it won't affect your game in the slightest :)

Question : why a customer should have to pay for optional " cheats " when he can have them all for free with FMRTE ?

Got to be honest, I aint paying full price for a glorified expansion pack. New animations, the new "classic" feature for simpletons and the inclusion of a Director of Football role. Wow.

Take a year off SI and completely rework your faultering match engine and you may reclaim my interest in your product again.

Got to be honest, I aint paying full price for a glorified expansion pack. New animations, the new "classic" feature for simpletons and the inclusion of a Director of Football role. Wow.

Take a year off SI and completely rework your faultering match engine and you may reclaim my interest in your product again.

I reckon they can cope without it...

Are you saying the Classic feature is made for you then? :)

A "classic" (pardon the pun!) example of the "difficult 2nd post" syndrome.

any news on whether fm13 will support higher resolution monitors by having bigger text/pictures? i did ask a few pages back but dont believe it got answered.

the text is far too small at high res.

Yeah this...

I'm with postal postie completely on this one.

SI please answer the Q about higher res and text.

Thank you

I like the idea of a classic mode. I don't have much time these days to pay attention to the million of features that have been added over the years so it'll be nice to go through a season fairly quickly while only having to worry about the most important aspects of management. Hopefully press conferences are completely removed from FMC because I hate the damn things.

The match animations look nice, although I'll reserve judgement on the ME until extended videos are uploading which demonstrate the AI more comprehensively. But hey it's FM, it's already the best out there so I'm sure I'll love this years edition too.

• SI Staff

The ME in 13 has been 2 years in the making.

Finally the two sliders are back!! Hallelujah.

Now just tweak it so I can make pre-match subs for those times I've banged through the screens carelessly and got a tired player in my starting eleven. Pretend it's a warmup strain or something.

I have a question about the challenge mode:

Does the challenge have a completion date to it? and what happens after the challenge is completed - can you play on like a normal game or is that end of game return to menu?

Also does the challenge mode use the full match engine or the quicker classic mode?

I'm with postal postie completely on this one.

SI please answer the Q about higher res and text.

Thank you

Signal boost for this. It's nice to have the skin take advantage of 1080 screens, but tiny fonts are a royal pain.

(additionally, any news on if we can customise the multi-panels properly yet?)

Any news on the cup competitions? IE big teams not just playing a bunch of 14 and 15 year olds in them, meaning crappy teams always win the cups?

I'm really hoping this is going to be fixed , pretty shocked SI didn't bother fixing in any of the previous patches as it pretty much ruins the game for me

Archived