Football Manager 2012 Demo *OFFICIAL* Feedback Thread

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've had a good long session on the demo this afternoon so some second thoughts.

* I have a fairly large monitor, 1920x1080 IIRC, and the adaptive layout seems to be working well for me, giving me lots of info on the home screen and so on. The layout as a whole seems more intuitive and it feels like I'm getting where I want to be with fewer clicks

* Contract negotiations seem more nuanced: it's easier to get someone to accept a lower basic by giving them more bonuses. Better and truer to life.

* Team talks are much improved. I love being able to tell a player assertively they need to improve in the second half (essential if you have Benoit Assou-Ekkoto in your team) or after a scrappy win to calmly tell a couple of players they weren't up to scratch. Can we have this extended to Press conferences next year, please?

* The match viewer looks much better: it runs more smoothly on my machine than FM11 and looks much better, which I attribute mainly to the better grass. Not recreational cigarettes I've been smoking but having the pitch rendered better, which improves the look of the match.

Overall it seems slicker, smoother, more polished and simply better all round than last year's. And I haven't found a bug yet.

I'm sure the skinning community will put together something that uses last year's font, or something more similar to it in style. Additionally, you can go to the Skinning Hideout subforum to learn how to change the font yourself.

Questionable customer service. Trumpted the Adaptive Layout, but you have to effectively reprogramme the game to change the font size?

Tut tut.

Where can I find the 'Terminate Loan' button? I can't seem to find it.. If it helps, I paid 230k for the loan. I've heard that you can't terminate a paid loan, but I don't know.

Anyways great game SI! I still haven't turned it off since downloading it on its release. I can't wait till the 21st!

I accepted a loan for one of my players but it fell through as the team who were going to sign him pulled out after securing their preferred loan targets, another nice feature in the game. Man City have been trying to sign Jack Robinson but I rejected and they signed some other teenagers building for the further something I not seen the AI do in the past.

Babel was in Liverpool before and that gives a player a world-wide recognition. If you are already known continental or world-wide it does not matter in which club you are playing. It takes some time to be forgotten. Jari Littmanen has still a world-wide reputation, even if he is playing in a small finnish club for years. :)

maybe you're right but if so why don't albert riera and milan baros(former liverpool players winning champions cup..) have a world-wide reputation or former arsenal player eboue, and quaresma played for chelsea and inter. considering these ones i think you are not objective or you mean that it is not because these players have high CAs it's because they are famous. so in the game a player with a low CA(national reputated) could be a world-wide player in time? of course if he plays well??? it's something i really wonder about and if yes it's perfect but if not i don't think it's good..

maybe you're right but if so why don't albert riera and milan baros(former liverpool players winning champions cup..) have a world-wide reputation or former arsenal player eboue, and quaresma played for chelsea and inter. considering these ones i think you are not objective or you mean that it is not because these players have high CAs it's because they are famous. so in the game a player with a low CA(national reputated) could be a world-wide player in time? of course if he plays well??? it's something i really wonder about and if yes it's perfect but if not i don't think it's good..

You sound like a fan of the Turkish League, my friend ;)

Where can I find the 'Terminate Loan' button? I can't seem to find it.. If it helps, I paid 230k for the loan. I've heard that you can't terminate a paid loan, but I don't know.

Anyways great game SI! I still haven't turned it off since downloading it on its release. I can't wait till the 21st!

That's right you can't terminate a loan which is fee paid, only a standard type loan can be.

That's right you can't terminate a loan which is fee paid, only a standard type loan can be.

It also seems to be impossible to terminate a loan outside of a transfer window. I'm not sure if this is a real rule or if the game just thinks it's a transfer and thus it's illegal.

You sound like a fan of the Turkish League, my friend ;)

yes i like Turkish League and i support Galatasaray:), but i'm not saying that galatasaray players should be better or have world-wide reputations. i just try to say that reputation system was better in fm 2011 and the explanation is not reasonable( babel player for liverpool and that gives him a world-wide reputation) considering this explanation i told that riera and baros were former liverpool players and why aren't they world-wide:) .even mateo kovacic(16 years old) has a continental reputations. he's just a kid and just played for 6-7 matches last year.

• Administrators
Loving the game so far but have an issue with scouting (might just be me but not going through near 1500 posts just to check ;)). I sent my scout out to look at england and he finished his report in 1 day with just one recommended player. I restarted his search and again he finished the next day with the same player. This went on till I got fed up and sent on UK & Ireland on roaming, and in the 3 months he's found no one. Now I am managing Chelmsford and my scout isn't exactly a world beater (3 for JPA and JCA) but this seems a bit extreme! Just checking to see if anyone else has this problem.

If you check the scouts profile and check his report, as he has 'full scouting' for these regions he should have reports for a number of players. The reason it took 'one day' was because he'd already scouted the regions.

It also seems to be impossible to terminate a loan outside of a transfer window. I'm not sure if this is a real rule or if the game just thinks it's a transfer and thus it's illegal.

I think that's a league specific rule, I've cancelled loans in Argentina outside the window.

Hey here is a communication issue I have:

nottscountyteammeeting.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I know that I am addressing the whole team in the first few exchanges there, but when Hughes aggressively addresses Ravenhill and some direct responses pop up I thought I was addressing Hughes not the whole crowd. Apparently I was wrong, because the chat went really well until that.

Okay, I just finished the Demo season and I'm loving the game. But I have a question for you guys.

I'd like to scout players but my scouting network is limited due to only having the one league loaded. Is there some way I could make the scouting circle wider or do I have to load a new game every time I can't find a player? Thanks in advance :)

After getting to grips with the layout, I'm absolutely loving the demo so far. The one word that keeps springing to mind is "detail", and not in an overwhelming way, either.

I love how you can now give back as much as it gives you. For instance, managing Manchester United, I gave an assertive pre-season team talk. Chris Smalling got stressed, so I calmly told him there was no pressure - he was happy after that. So as far as team talks go, I can now connect my imagination with the game just because of the tone system. Very impressed. :thup:

Early days, only played a few pre-season matches, but I'm really enjoying it. Don't normally get into demos this much.

If you check the scouts profile and check his report, as he has 'full scouting' for these regions he should have reports for a number of players. The reason it took 'one day' was because he'd already scouted the regions.

Hi, thanks for the reply. I guess you're talking about the scouting knowledge part. Just sent him off to Ireland where he had none and the duration is 37 days so I guess so. In that case when is the best time to send him to scout England again? Will his knowledge decrease or do I just wait 6 months and he'll find different players or will it continue to just be 1 day scouting?

Sorry if these are dumb questions, just got seriously back into football manager for the first time since 2009 so trying to work out the things which have changed!

yes i like Turkish League and i support Galatasaray:), but i'm not saying that galatasaray players should be better or have world-wide reputations. i just try to say that reputation system was better in fm 2011 and the explanation is not reasonable( babel player for liverpool and that gives him a world-wide reputation) considering this explanation i told that riera and baros were former liverpool players and why aren't they world-wide:) .even mateo kovacic(16 years old) has a continental reputations. he's just a kid and just played for 6-7 matches last year.

No worries, it wasn't criticism... I too support Galatasaray, you see ;)

what does enable depth of field mean in the preference screen, and how come its greyed out and i cant tick it

i can tick it when i up my graphic detail to high from auto select, i still don't get what it does help me please

I've been reading through the 15 pages of comments, criticisms, praise, and moans. This game really does evoke emotions! I think it's testament to the developing team that so many people feel the need to get involved, and feel they can get involved. Getting direct response to comments from the team at SI is truly fantastic.

My 2 cents:

Where to start! Personally, I love it, and I will definitely be buying the game this year. I find it hard to really commit to the demo though, knowing I have to start all over again in 2 weeks, so I just picked my team to test it out with, Man Utd.

Personal highlights: Custom views (doesn't seem to be too much comment on them), new search & player interaction. The game is also lightening fast on a holiday-mode run. Took about 10 mins to get from Mid-July to the end of December. 10 mins!!

Now to make some time to play it properly!

KUTGW.

On the Opposition Instructions pre match screen the Ask Advice button brings up my Ass Man & both Coaches, all of which are greyed out. The tool tip says that "your coach is not sufficiently skilled in tactical knowledge and is therefore unable to offer advice" (NB.1 of the coaches has a tactical knowledge rating of 10, the others though are very poor).

!?!

Do I need a hugher than 10 rating in Tactical Knowledge for one of them (if so what rating?) or do the staff acquire the insight to make that advice with time?

The game is also lightening fast on a holiday-mode run. Took about 10 mins to get from Mid-July to the end of December. 10 mins!!

Now to make some time to play it properly!

KUTGW.

Keep in mind that the game files are Small database and only have one nation loaded...

But damn I love this game.

I bought Tevez for Arsenal, then come september for premier league registration I hit auto select and he was omitted......so now he is unhappy and wants to leave. Auto select should not have omitted such a player! now i cant play him until the new year. blah

Also, how can i get the game to go directly to the squad screen when i click on a club link rather than the club profile page ?

Clearly the AI didn't think he was good enough but at the end of the day you the manager fella

• Administrators
Hi, thanks for the reply. I guess you're talking about the scouting knowledge part. Just sent him off to Ireland where he had none and the duration is 37 days so I guess so. In that case when is the best time to send him to scout England again? Will his knowledge decrease or do I just wait 6 months and he'll find different players or will it continue to just be 1 day scouting?

Sorry if these are dumb questions, just got seriously back into football manager for the first time since 2009 so trying to work out the things which have changed!

To be honest there's not too much point in sending him on scouting missions to regions he has full scouting on, I'd suggest either sending a different scout without full knowledge or sending him elsewhere. If you're after specifics (say young players) it may be worth scouting the U18 tournaments/leagues instead.

I bought Tevez for Arsenal, then come september for premier league registration I hit auto select and he was omitted......so now he is unhappy and wants to leave. Auto select should not have omitted such a player! now i cant play him until the new year. blah

Why did you not select the players that you want for the coming season. I do not think this is an issue that belongs in the feedback section for the new release of FM12.

NB. Tevez being unhappy and wanting to leave, I think that SI did a good job in making this player chuck the toys out of the pram, well played SI...

Please confirm if its a fee paid loan or not you refer to then re-read Kriss's comment, that may help explain if its an issue or not

If you check the scouts profile and check his report, as he has 'full scouting' for these regions he should have reports for a number of players.

1) He only has reports on just a few players. When fully scouting a nation, a scout (normally) finds far more players

2) After a year, scout reports get deleted. Even without that, after a year (and more), all those reports will be outdated. How is this scout supposed to use his full knowledge of a country to provide me with new reports of that nation?

The reason it took 'one day' was because he'd already scouted the regions.

See my point 1 above.

To be honest there's not too much point in sending him on scouting missions to regions he has full scouting on

Isnt this counterlogical? Wouldnt you, in real life, ideally sent a scout with full knowledge of a nation to that nation? In order to be in the best position to accurately and consistently keep you up to date on developments in that country?

, I'd suggest either sending a different scout without full knowledge

Why should only a scout without knowledge be able to scout a nation? That suggests that the aim of scouting is to increase a scouts knowledge of a nation. Why would I care about that? I care about player reports from a nation.

If you're after specifics (say young players) it may be worth scouting the U18 tournaments/leagues instead.

How am I gonna do that if I dont have those leagues loaded (eventhough my custom database ensures enough players)? And how am I supposed to find 15/16 year olds (newgens)? Its not like the game simulates u12/u13/u14/u15/u16 leagues and tournaments.

Before I raise this is as a bug I want to make sure if this was intentional or not, while playing the game and a list of fixtures are displayed, after clicking continue to view the results, does the font get enlarged? Here's an example:

italiancupmatchesfixtur.png

Before I raise this is as a bug I want to make sure if this was intentional or not, while playing the game and a list of fixtures are displayed, after clicking continue to view the results, does the font get enlarged? Here's an example:

I have just been pressing continue picking eleven just to see what i can expect. I am due to play a friendly but 90% of my squad are on international duty or injured and on team selection there isn't much I can do as I can't continue as I don't have enough players to submit a team.

To answer my own question, probably not. So to move on - in the full release, if the game is purchased via Steam do I get to choose where I can save the game? I dislike the fact that the Sports Interactive folder is dumped into the c:drive. When face packs and the like are added, C drive shrinks and would prefer to use another drive with masses of space.

Anyone confirm?

user data folder is for other Databases

To be honest there's not too much point in sending him on scouting missions to regions he has full scouting on, I'd suggest either sending a different scout without full knowledge or sending him elsewhere. If you're after specifics (say young players) it may be worth scouting the U18 tournaments/leagues instead.

So if a scout has full knowledge of a certain nation do I have to specifically send him to scout new players or does new reports get sent in over time even when not on an assignment. As a lower league club I wouldn't really be able to fire and hire a new scout every year so I'd need to send him to do a full search of the country again. If I sent him out to scout England a year later would he be able to give reports on new players instead of just one?

I have just been pressing continue picking eleven just to see what i can expect. I am due to play a friendly but 90% of my squad are on international duty or injured and on team selection there isn't much I can do as I can't continue as I don't have enough players to submit a team.

holiday past the game e.g. holiday 1 day

Here are my impressions:

The match engine alone makes this worth buying. So many small things I noticed that have been improved:

1) Its so smooth now and the general passages of play are far more intellegent then before. I noticed that in my first 2 friendly's things seemed slow, but then I realised that it was a lack of fitness. Roll foward to the Charity Shield and the first few league games and the pace is relentless

2) Animations for passing, shooting, different types of finishing, goalkeeping all majorly improved.

3) Noting players showing great vision compared to last year. While in FM 11 you consistantly had strickers blasting shots from difficult angles, I have now twice seen a player lay it off to another where a shooting opportunity was available - brilliant

4) Players actually close down and tackle properly with far more frequency than last year. If I have a ball winning midfielder he charges around intercepting and tackling, where as last year you had so many occasions where the opposiation would get a clear run at your defence and nobody would close down

5) Watch your fullbacks and wingers - their play is far more dynamic, skillfull than last year. Wingers and fullbacks seem to drop the shoulder and blast past opponants while in tight situations where last year they would not have taken the player on in such a tight space

6) Players are using their PPM's by default - I'm Man Utd and I am playing exactly as Utd play IRL.

7) Finishing - I've several different types of finish instead of the usual blast it or tap it of last year. Players sinking it over the keeper, or the low rifled shot into the corner

8) AI are way more intellegent - before I got the impression they were not using player roles and other non-default tactical settings - this year I see players playing in roles that I know have been tweaked ie: Deep Lying playmakers, wingers that cut inside, Trequarterista's etc

7) Short passing has been greatly improved and shows real intellegence - some great one touch stuff and flicks.

Agree with this, match engine is top class now. Obviously it works well in the premier league, but even playing in the Scottish third division, it is very realistic. There is a noticebly less amount of clear cut chances being infuriatingly missed also. The tactics and team talks are quality as well. I will definetly enjoy this more than fm11. :thup:

Loving the demo, has less stand-out bugs than any previous demo I can remember, so far anyway. Glad the homegrown players bug and the tv fixtures bugs from fm11 have been fixed. Only bad thing is that I've almost finished the demo and have to wait almost 2 weeks to play it properly :-)

Roll on the 21st!

Agree with this, match engine is top class now. Obviously it works well in the premier league, but even playing in the Scottish third division, it is very realistic. There is a noticebly less amount of clear cut chances being infuriatingly missed also. The tactics and team talks are quality as well. I will definetly enjoy this more than fm11. :thup:

Good to know. I am VERY impressed with the ME - it does appear to be bug free and nearly all the old irritations have been addressed. I'm managing Man Utd in the demo but am a lower league manager (have my eye on AFC Wimbledon) for the long haul.

At the end of the day the match engine is the heart of the game; if they've finally got it right it makes FM12 worth buying on the strength of that alone. I might just add that I have a pretty low-spec old laptop and the 3D is very smooth.

Not a bug but a bit weird. Click on the DETAILS tab: your screen shows 'detail'- big font and scorers; 'Basic'show small font and just the results.

Results are becoming a bit concerning seems to some really high scoring games happening. I just had Man City beat Norwich 11-0, which is a bit extreme. This Guy was Utd and beat Liverpool 10-0 at Anfield!! Just seems to easy to win at the moment too.....

http://community.sigames.com/showthread.php/277296-Print-Screen-your-last-10-results-on-the-FM-2012-Demo?p=7143303&viewfull=1#post7143303

Archived