The npower championship thread 2011/12

Powlay

• Replies 12.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
is it? swapping mills and long for Le Fondre and Gorkss doesnt seem stronger to me :/

Gorkss is at least as good as Mills IMO. Long was awful this time last year. I have far more confidence in Le Fondre and Manset to score goals (and Hunt for that matter) than I did in Long up until December last year. We've also added Leigertwood, who is amazing to watch, and players such as Pearce, Karacan and Robson-Kanu have come on leaps and bounds.

The only real weakness is Khumalo compared to Khishanishvili, but he could still come good.

plus ian harte isnt getting younger

We have Jack Mills to play left back, and Shaun Cummings has become a proper defender now, so the ages of Harte and Griffin aren't much of an issue. I imagine Harte will still get a fair few games for his free kicks, and McDermott really likes Griffin so he'll probably get picked ahead of Cummings for a while, but if they do get exposed for pace then we'll just bring one of those two in.

you had leigertwood on loan last season though didnt you? and although Long may have been awful this time last year, he still went on to become your top scorer!

Only from November, so the squad is strengthened by his presence for an extra three months, as it is from having some competant goalscorers for an extra four months!

Don't get me wrong, losing Long meant losing our best striker, but we've signed two replacements (one proactively) and I'm sure that one or more will come good, or (less likely) Simon Church will add goals to his game.

All i've read is you only looked dangerous on the break, guess it's the bias of both sides.

Brady lucky cross floats in, 1-0.

TBF our guys did say we couldn't create any chances, aside from the disallowed goal.

Our defence is supposedly a lot better with Gorkss in it, thank goodness.

Derby away today, played 4 - won 4 - scored 7 - conceded 1.

Great, just the fixture we need with our recent defending.

Looking at those stats beforehand and considering the way we'd been defending, I gave us no chance going into this one. Typical of us to go and win it. :D

Are Brighton the only team with a 100% record now?

No team has a 100% record now. Might be the only team unbeaten though if that's what you mean? Edit: Boro are also unbeaten I think.

Sounded like we battered Leicester in the second half. Kasper and the post keeps them in it. Shame but apart from obviously needing a defender there is nothing to be concerned about.

Looking at those stats beforehand and considering the way we'd been defending, I gave us no chance going into this one. Typical of us to go and win it. :D

Same here, I was sure we were on a hiding to nothing today.

I don't think many expected us to get anything from Derby today, typical Burnley. :D

Ended there 100% start to the season, fantastic result. :)

No team has a 100% record now. Might be the only team unbeaten though if that's what you mean? Edit: Boro are also unbeaten I think.

They don't have a 100% record. They have 13 points out of 15 possible.

Ah, I thought they had won all there games so far.

They must have drawn one.

Edit

Oh yeah, of course. They drew 2-2 with Blackpool from 2-0 up, super Kevin Phillips.

Same here, I was sure we were on a hiding to nothing today.

I don't think many expected us to get anything from Derby today, typical Burnley. :D

Ended there 100% start to the season, fantastic result. :)

Only problem is my lack of faith caused me to put a Derby win down as my NAP in the championship predictions thread. :(

Only problem is my lack of faith caused me to put a Derby win down as my NAP in the championship predictions thread. :(

Sickner.

I put us down for a 4-1 defeat in the prediction thread.

I think I'm going to start predicting us to get beat every game, we seem to win when I do. :lol:

Phew! Were holding on towards the end there but good win.

Our fans were still all moaning listening to radio on the way home, despite the fact we'd just beaten the form team in the country and after they'd just got to watch a cracking, open and attacking game of football though. :rolleyes:

I thought we turned a corner against Reading playing some sweet passing football. No it was back to HOOF today, this time poor Huseklepp was the victim. He was made to look awful, and really didn't get much chance on the ball so I'm not going to rate his full debut today tbh. I'm not going to turn on Cotts now, but my eyes can't take much more hoofball when there's clearly the quality to get crosses in. We've got Lawrence who can put in a good cross and instead we use Halford to do those fs throw ins. We don't attack them, and about 1 in 15 results in a half chance. I can't stand them, we've got a number of players who can get on to the end of a cross and that should be our plan even TBH can do them ffs.

I'd be surprised if Cardiff make the playoffs this season tbh, didn't really impress me especially as we've had Brighton and Reading here who both looked slightly better. The one thing going for Cardiff is there is goals in Miller and Earnshaw, but one of those has to sit out for the tall guy. I'm not convinced they can play together.

Draw was a fair result, either team struggled to carve out a chance, and it was a poor game imo.

I thought we turned a corner against Reading playing some sweet passing football. No it was back to HOOF today' date=' this time poor Huseklepp was the victim. He was made to look awful, and really didn't get much chance on the ball so I'm not going to rate his full debut today tbh. I'm not going to turn on Cotts now, but my eyes can't take much more hoofball when there's clearly the quality to get crosses in. We've got Lawrence who can put in a good cross and instead we use Halford to do those fs throw ins. We don't attack them, and about 1 in 15 results in a half chance. I can't stand them, we've got a number of players who can get on to the end of a cross and that should be our plan even TBH can do them ffs.

I'd be surprised if Cardiff make the playoffs this season tbh, didn't really impress me especially as we've had Brighton and Reading here who both looked slightly better. The one thing going for Cardiff is there is goals in Miller and Earnshaw, but one of those has to sit out for the tall guy. I'm not convinced they can play together.

Draw was a fair result, either team struggled to carve out a chance, and it was a poor game imo.[/quote']

Aye that's Cotterill for you.

He did great for us, but then when he got a bit of money and brought in some decent players, he still played that style of football.

He used to always say, he does not like the game being open, where his players get tired and they could end up getting nothing out of the game.

He'd rather keep it tight and kill the game.

Also I didn't think Cardiff looked that good either when we played them at the Turf last week. Apart from the Earnshaw goal, they never looked threatening what so ever.

Does anyone know why, since Portsmouth's relegation to the Championship, the camera angle for the highlights of their matches at Fratton Park has become so low? It used to be as you'd expect in the Premier league. Then they got relegated and it looks as if the camera is in the dugout! What happened?

from what i've read he seems a decent cb in the air and on the floor but lacking pace which seems strange as a pacy cb is what we need!

what type of player is he g spot ?

btw ive seen rumours of parkin going the other way for 750k + JP. Was probs 500k before he was included!

Said this last week chops:

Ashley Williams?

Ben Turner would have been easily the best defender in the league if he hadn't got injured in November. Still out with that injury fgs :(

Will be seriously angry if you sign him cause he's worth a minimum of 2 million even in our financial state and you wont pay that.

The guy wants to stay at the club, has 4 years on his contract, came through the youth team and is one of the best CB's in the league. Just as good as Dann was for us.

Just realised I didn't answer your question (due to being angry about the thing).

Ben Turner is basically unbeatable in the air, a great tackler, has brilliant positioning and anticipation and directs the whole back 4 very well. No he's not slow despite a load of Cov fans thinking he is, he just appears to be sluggish due to his size but he's actually got decent pace (though hardly rapid) and his anticipation and positioning mean he very rarely get's done for pace. His only real downside is that he's a poor passer (though he's hardly awful) and I'll be amazed if he doesn't play in the premier league someday.

Also he's able to play for Wales.

Teams for the Nottingham Forest Vs West Ham game:

Nottingham Forest: Camp, Gunter, Morgan, Chambers, Cohen, Majewski, Boateng, Greening, McGugan, Findley, Miller

Subs: Smith, Lynch, Reid, Derbyshire, Garner

West Ham United: Green, O'Brien, McCartney, Tomkins, Reid, Noble, Collison, Nolan, Taylor, Faubert, Cole

Subs: Boffin, Faye, Stanislas, Piquionne, Carew

Archived