The npower championship thread 2011/12

Powlay

• Replies 12.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ashley Williams?

Ben Turner would have been easily the best defender in the league if he hadn't got injured in November. Still out with that injury fgs :(

No, Adie Williams :rolleyes:

Replace "Ben Turner" with "Alex Pearce" and remove the last sentence, and you're closer to the truth.

Just checking!

I've never seen Alex Pearce so can't comment on him but Ben Turner is a really good player. Luckily Turner is playing a few friendlies this week so he might be fit enough to finally return post international break. Optimistic that with Turner back we can start winning some games.

No need to argue though because James Tomkins is the best defender in the league this season.

Jason Shackell has been absolutely outstanding for us - 4 games, 1 goal conceded in the league, 338 minutes without a goal against.

With all the money youve supposedly got, why are you looking so far down the menu

What makes you think that? Seen Baldock play have you? The menu is from the same restaurant that Sam Allardyce and West Ham dine at. Gold, Sullivan and Allardyce have quite a rich taste. (Not that it means it is a good thing :D)

Pompey seem to be sharing a menu with Stockport County, as it is them that they recently beat to veteran Benjani's signature... ;)

http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereveningnews/sport/football/transfers/s/1455078_stockport-county-out-to-bag-benjani

Ken Bates a joke because of some rumour? He's a joke for many reasons, but that isn't one of them. I can't see him going to you. Not for cheap, anyway.

Is he likely to sign a new deal, or is he holding out to see if leeds get promoted?

£2m for a player who has never even played above League One. Crazy stuff

£12m upfront rising to £15m for Alex Chamberlain ;)

(which I think will prove to be a bargain for Arsenal, as he will soon be worth a great deal more than that, just like Bale and Walcott)

Far more than just the level a player is playing determine the price he is sold for. You always seem to overlook a players quality (which itself is just one of many factors), and continually suggest that a player at a lower league club by default isn't any good.

Both West Ham and Saints bidding for Baldock suggests he is considered to be of a decent quality and also boosts the price. Supply and demand.

As much as of a dick MLG is I remember when we signed a left sided player from Luton who helped us get out of this league, despite the fact he had only played 3 seasons, two in League 1 and one in League 2.

But fgs shut the **** up about beating Stockport to the signing of Benjani, Blackburn did offer him a contract so I don't think he suddenly thought he would drop down to the BSP.

Pompey have signed Hungarian 6ft 5 in striker Marko Futacs on a one-year deal with the option of a further two years.

The 21-year-old was at Werder Bremen last season, but spent much of the year on loan at Bavaria-based club FC Ingolstadt 04.

And now he is looking forward to showing what he can do with the Blues.

“It’s very exciting and I’m very happy to be here,” said Futacs. “It’s fantastic to come to England and I will work very hard to impress the fans.

“I’ve trained with the team and it’s different from how things were in France and Germany, but I think this is the best place for me – the English game suits me and the way I play.

“My first job is to get into the team and get used to the style of play here, but I am a striker so obviously I am also looking to score goals.

“I’ve heard the Pompey fans are fantastic supporters and I can’t wait to play in front of them.”

Futacs began his career in his homeland with Keruleti and Ferencvarosi TC, before moving to Nancy in 2006.

Hescored 18 goals in 21 games for the French club’s second team and moved to Germany to sign for Werder Bremen in 2009.

Futacs has played at various age groups for his national side, helping Hungary to a third-place finish in the 2009 FIFA under-20 World Cup in Egypt.

Probably on a free too :D

£12m upfront rising to £15m for Alex Chamberlain ;)

(which I think will prove to be a bargain for Arsenal, as he will soon be worth a great deal more than that, just like Bale and Walcott)

Far more than just the level a player is playing determine the price he is sold for. You always seem to overlook a players quality (which itself is just one of many factors), and continually suggest that a player at a lower league club by default isn't any good.

Both West Ham and Saints bidding for Baldock suggests he is considered to be of a decent quality and also boosts the price. Supply and demand.

Wondering whether you are begging for an infraction for trolling with that one :D Walcott worth "a great deal" more than 15m? :D :D

Wondering whether you are begging for an infraction for trolling with that one :D Walcott worth "a great deal" more than 15m? :D :D

I didn't actually say Walcott was worth more than £15m, I was saying how Chamberlain will be worth more than £15m and that Walcott is now worth more than Arsenal paid for him and Gareth Bale worth a lot more than Spurs paid for him. Which as Rupert Lowe cashed in on the clauses early was only around £9m.

Ken Bates a joke because of some rumour? He's a joke for many reasons, but that isn't one of them. I can't see him going to you. Not for cheap, anyway.

he isn't going anywhere, seriously fed up of sky sports and their ridiculous rumors, lsat month they were absolutely convinced he had signed for west ham

say no more

and to answer someones question about is he waiting for leeds to get promoted, yes he probably is but so are a few players, it all rests on this season tbh, but contract talks are begining next month for a few players

What you meant has no bearing on what you wrote :mad: not when it doesn't suit me ffs :D

Even if I had said "Walcott is worth more than £15m", I would still stand by that.

He is a 22 year old Arsenal and England squad regular, given the current state of the transfer market I don't think it is unreasonable to say Walcott would cost someone a lot more than £15m. Remember, English player prices are crazy, Andy Carroll is apparently worth £35m and Jordan Henderson £20m!

I would argue that what clubs demand for their players is not their actual value in the grand scheme of things, just what they are worth to the two clubs involved. Put it this way: would you have ever paid that amount of money for Carroll/Henderson? Hell no, that's nowhere near their actual value. I would say Walcott at around 15m is at the top of his range tbf, he's never done anything consistent to merit any more money than that. All he has for him is his age and the hope that he might actually reach his potential at some point. Would Arsenal sell at 15m? Not a chance in hell, probably somewhere around 25m at least.

Of course the obvious reasoning would be that a player is worth whatever was paid for him but I don't think that holds up in all cases, especially with transfers of young English players between English clubs.

We're actually going to have a very thin squad by the time the window closes.

We've only got 3 centre backs, one right back, 3 central midfielders and one left winger. Injuries in any of those positions and we'll be pretty much screwed.

We're actually going to have a very thin squad by the time the window closes.

We've only got 3 centre backs, one right back, 3 central midfielders and one left winger. Injuries in any of those positions and we'll be pretty much screwed.

I'll let you know when you have a thin squad :D

Archived