The npower championship thread 2011/12

Powlay

• Replies 12.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is the Rangers striker any good?

Dunno, but they've also turned down a £7.5mil bid from an unnamed Russian club and we're not going to be bidding £8mil+ surely? So I can't see him coming, unless he requests a transfer or something.

Like hilly_boro says, it does look a bit like panic bidding and suggests we've missed out on all our main targets (Maynard, Yakubu, Johnson etc.) and are now just bidding for anyone who's anyone.

O'Donovan would provide you some real pace up front. Think a £5 million bid would be successful.

Please don't say the reports of Victor Anichebe are true. If he turns out to be the striker we've been after this whole 3 month search for it feels like a huge anti-climax. Is he even as good as Nugent and Vassell? :(

Anyone know what the record transfer fee spent by a second tier club on a player is btw?

Not sure, is it not Matt Mills?

Sheff Utd splashed £4 million on James Beattie plus a huge wage for a Championship club, I bet he drained a hell of alot of their parachute payments. :D

Matt Mills was £4.5mil which could rise up to £5.5mil, so at this current moment in time, it's definitely not the Matt Mills one.

I know Coventry spent something like £5,000,001 on Lee Hughes, no idea what the extra pound was for.

edit: beaten to it.

Non-league talent Jed Wallace is close to sealing a move to Pompey.

The 17-year-old was today undergoing a medical with the Blues before signing from Conference South side Lewes.

Pompey have headed off interest in the player from a number of clubs, including Newcastle to land the midfielder.

Wallace impressed when turning out in last week’s 4-0 behind closed doors friendly win over Swindon.

The former Farnborough player will ink a three year deal and become Steve Cotterill’s 10th summer signing.

Ermm.. I want to be chuffed, but I haven't got a clue on this kid and the News claiming he's a "teenage starlet" :rolleyes:

Scott Parker has handed in a transfer request according to SSN.

I thought West Ham were already letting him speak to Tottenham?

Nah we've been trying to convince him to stay over the last couple of days, this is just confirmation that it hasnt worked.

Also maybe inviting bids because we might not want to sell to spurs.

One for the Leeds fans .

Saint Etienne reporting on their official site that they've reached an agreement with Leeds United for transfer of Max Gradel.

:( Hopefully it's a decent offer. Knowing Bates it's £2 million. :rolleyes:

I knew about the brother at Portsmouth but didn't know he had a twin at Burnley too :D

Awesome sporting sperm inside the Williams father.

I think my favourite family relation in football is Viduka and Modric :D.

Yeah well they hardly look a like :D.

I think about half the Australian national team has Croatian roots and even the Croatian national team has an Aussie (who is very good at getting 3 yellows in a game against Australia) :D. Basically makes matches against Croatia almost derby matches!

Yeah cousins. Viduka's parents were born in Croatia and emigrated to Australia. Loads of Italians/Greeks/Croats/Serbs etc etc emigrated to Australia in the last century and basically all the decent Australian footballers are descended from them. Heck even Christian Vieri is basically an Aussie :cool:

I remember seeing Christian Vieri do an interview at Euro2000 (I think) and he got a bit angry or something. Either way afterward I was sat thinking 'why does he sound Australian' :D

He's a massive cricket fan as well. His sporting icon being Allan Border :D

His brother actually played for Australia (at football) but he's pretty crap tbh :(

Archived