The npower championship thread 2011/12

Powlay

• Replies 12.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nugent looked fractionally offside, but as far as I'm concerned, it was so close that it's one of the ones that should be favouring the attacker if the ref's not sure. It looked a very harsh penalty to me - if you are falling to the ground, you are going to put your arm out to stop your fall, it's natural reaction. He wasn't looking at the ball either so I doubt it was deliberate. And it's not even like it prevented a goal-scoring chance, the keeper would have just picked up the loose ball otherwise (not that that actually matters of course).

Enjoyed Leeds performance, definitely more like them after this indifferent start. West Ham on the other hand, my reverse psychology is working. Tell everyone they'll be winning the league by a mile then they don't ;)

They've got the best team, but winning mentality is their problem. I still think they'll win the league, but with them and leicester stuttering early on you have to say it leaves the automatic promotion door wide open.

Maybe :o

I still think we can stay up if we can all our players back from injury (several key players yet to even play this season yet) and keep them injury free. Hopefully we can get ALF in who should add those goals we need. Both us and Donny playing passing football without any cutting edge and bottom two teams in the league because of it. :( It's not like were being battered, never lost a game by more than 1 goal and every game so far been 0-0 at HT.

From where I was sat we definitely should have had three points. We've conceded 3 goals this season, and they have all come from our problematic left back. George McCartney might not be great, but he's not **** like Ilunga.

Having said that, Snodgrass and Gradel are obviously class. But they will have better defenders than Ilunga to compete against this year, thats for sure.

Haven't seen a replay yet, was Carlton fouled? Every 50/50 decision seemed to go Leeds' way, but thats often the way it appears when you're at the game so don't abuse me for my claret tinted glasses.

Oh and also, when we brought Faubert on and actually had some pace in our midfield we looked absolutely quality, just like at Watford on tuesday. BFS needs to drop atleast one of Noble/Collison, as our midfield is just 5 of the same player at the moment.

Haven't seen a replay yet, was Carlton fouled? Every 50/50 decision seemed to go Leeds' way, but thats often the way it appears when you're at the game so don't abuse me for my claret tinted glasses.

I thought it should have been a penalty and I only have a pair of red tinted glasses, not claret.

From where I was sat we definitely should have had three points. We've conceded 3 goals this season, and they have all come from our problematic left back. George McCartney might not be great, but he's not **** like Ilunga.

Having said that, Snodgrass and Gradel are obviously class. But they will have better defenders than Ilunga to compete against this year, thats for sure.

Cole definitely seemed to be fouled, and that's coming from a Leeds fan.

The one where they got a corner instead? Couldnt see that at all from where I was sat. Also, did anyone catch what started the Tomkins/O'Dea scrap at the end?

Speaking of Tomkins, he's been absolutely incredible so far this year. Our best player by a mile.

Malaury Martin looked like a good find for Boro yesterday, and I liked Rhys Williams in central mid, looked the part.

Williams is superb. Definitely thought we would have lost him by now but the ease in which he plays is great. He's definitely a future Premiership player with or without us. All Mowbray's signings seem to be top notch tbh ... Martin has pleasantly surprised me considering how Blackpool didn't really make an effort to keep him and Haroun looks a good buy too.

I thought the match yesterday was a massive game of two halves, with Brum edging the 1st and then predictably tiring in the 2nd. Seen enough from Birmingham to suggest they'll be at least in the playoffs but thats depending on how far you get in the Europa League tbh. I doubt there's a massive chance of progress in both competitions.

Also was Scott Dann on the bench through fear of him getting an injury before a move?

We've signed Joseph Mills from Saints... MLG or somebody, any good?

A quick attacking left fullback, that can play as winger. Better attacking than defending. Was loaned out to Doncaster Rovers last season as he was third choice left back at Saints. When Danny Fox signed from Burnley, Mills went even further down the pecking order behind Fox, Harding and Dickson for the left back berth. A new start will be good for him.

He's alright, a quick attacking left fullback, that can play as winger. Better attacking than defending. Was loaned out to Doncaster Rovers last season as he was third choice left back at Saints. When Danny Fox signed from Burnley, Mills went even further down the pecking order behind Fox, Harding and Dickson for the left back berth. A new start will be good for him.

We certainly need some pace at the back so could be good. I would imagine that he will be the understudy to Ian Harte for this season with the aim to get in the team next year.

re: the matt mills penalty, it seems unfair and i would be fuming, but fifa regulations would probably say it was a penalty

Handling the ball involves a deliberate act of a player making contact

with the ball with his hand or arm. The referee shall take the following

into consideration:

• The movement of the hand towards the ball (not the ball towards

the hand)

• The distance between the opponent and the ball (unexpected

ball)

• Position of the hand does not necessarily mean that there is an

infringement

• Touching the ball with an object held in the hand (clothing, shinguard

etc.) counts as an infringement

• Hitting the ball with a thrown object (a boot, shinguard etc.)

counts as an infringement

the hand moved towards the ball, and the referee is not instructed by fifa to take the position of the head into account. and the ball was moving slowly enough to suggest the ball was not unexpected.

i would say the law is fairly vague on this matter.

still, as i said, if i was a leicester fan i'd be pretty cross but woteva

also, if memory serves, they got a very dodgy penalty when we thrashed them 5-1 a couple of seasons ago at the City Ground, so lets just call it belated justice :D

We play a narrow diamond formation with short passing and very few through balls or balls over the top. Would he be any good in that (not that we'll sign him)? From what I understand he's a worker who's willing to run the channels and chase down lost causes but is perhaps a little short on quality (though by far from awful).

Rumour has it Derby and ourselves are looking at him. Sounds a bit similar to Barnard to me but while I wouldn't be overly excited initially if we signed him, his goal scoring exploits on FM for me at Bournemouth a couple of versions ago must mean he is awesome.

Rumour has it Derby and ourselves are looking at him. Sounds a bit similar to Barnard to me but while I wouldn't be overly excited initially if we signed him, his goal scoring exploits on FM for me at Bournemouth a couple of versions ago must mean he is awesome.

It's great when your team signs a player who was great for you on FM. Last player we signed who fits that was Max Gradel :cool:

Is he any good?

I thought we were in for Gorkss from QPR but apparently some guy on twitter has said

"Official Statement from Kaspars Gorkšs I have received to my pm.

He said that his transfer to Saints was almost done, but at the last minute of a deal it has fallen through, due to other defensive options found by NC. He is very upset with the outcome because he has alrady enjoyed few days in the city and the training ground and he has found the appartment already. In addition to that I was in contact with him and promoting the club so much, he was almost there. He added that our Chairman is very interesting and commited person.

He is meant to be on the verge of joining another Championship club (rumoured to be Reading). So I guess if all these things are true, then Fontaine could be the other defensive option.

I thought Gorkks was one of the best central defenders in the league last season, only behind Williams and maybe some of Forest's really. Hopefully he can form a good partnership with Pearce. I think we look good for the playoffs now that we've replaced all our outbound players.

re: the matt mills penalty, it seems unfair and i would be fuming, but fifa regulations would probably say it was a penalty

the hand moved towards the ball, and the referee is not instructed by fifa to take the position of the head into account. and the ball was moving slowly enough to suggest the ball was not unexpected.

i would say the law is fairly vague on this matter.

I don't want to get back into that discussion, but it was clearly not deliberate and therefore clearly a penalty. The law is not fairly vague on the manner at all, you've missed the bit preceding it: a handball has to be deliberate, it's the only thing that matters when deciding a handball decision, stopping a goalscoring opportunity etc. makes no difference, if it's not deliberate it's not a free-kick/penalty. Doesn't seem very vague to me. Those guidelines just say things to take into consideration when deciding whether it was deliberate handball or not and either way his hand didn't move towards the ball at all, it moved vertically towards the ground as he placed it on the floor for balance and the ball rolled into it.

Good player at this level in a 4-4-2 formation, but doesn't really fit in to our 4-3-3.

He played his best football in Pearson's 4-3-3 towards the end of the 09/10 season. Personally, I think this players who fit into specific formation is ******** anyway though. Formation is such a small part of football and style and changes regularly throughout the game, people seem to be obsessed with it as though formation = tactics. I'd say he works best in any style which plays around his strength of work-rate, but I don't see how formation accounts for that at all.

I never thought he was that good even in the 09/10 season though. He had a good enough cameo when Fryatt got injured (though was nowhere near as good as Fryatt that season) but I would still say he's not proven to be a good player at this level yet, though he has potential.

Yeah that pretty much sums him up tbh. Also deceivingly strong too. But his work rate is his main asset imo.

Hmmm, have to disagree with you here Gizmo :p, I've always thought the opposite myself. I think he his deceptively weak. He looks like he has a really strong upper build but then he get pushed off the ball far too easily.

its clear to those whove seen a replay ( though it still looks to me like it was a reflex move that he immediatly regretted and tried to withdraw his arm but it was too late ), the ref only gets one look though and iirc, he was outside the area and wouldnt have got the best view, he obviously saw the handball. Its all well and good castigating the ref once we've seen multiple slo mo replays of the incident, he doesnt get that luxury :D

also quite amusing seeing some leicester fans ( not on here ) saying that Kasper shouldnt have been sent off because other refs dont book players for the things he did, surely then they should take that up with the other refs, not the one who correctly applied the laws of the game? even sven and kasper didnt argue with the sending off iirc? loads of leicester fans saying he just threw it to the half way line, but its pretty obvious from this video:

he threw it straight out of play into the sidelines!

Archived