FM24

Kloppy

2 minutes ago, The Amazing Dale Watkins said:

Except every year, the new release is fantastic, the best ever. It's only in the announcement of the next version that the previous one gets a more honest assessment. He'll probably say the same about FM24 when he does the media blitz for FM25.

You expect a business you tell you there new release is bad....

• Replies 706
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, The Amazing Dale Watkins said:

I don't, but that's my point. He doesn't simply speak his mind.

I think promoting a game and talking about in hindsight are different things. He could have gone into detail about why FM23 didn't meet standards in the blog but he didn't, he said it lies with him. 

16 hours ago, gunner86 said:

Ultimately it’s all subjective. I do think that the FM25 announcement has probably driven more interest in the franchise again than had it not happened, but like I say, I still think FM24 would have had a similarly positive response - remember, one of last years headlines was ECL licensing.

That said, we’re at a point now, and I say this ever year, where the game is pretty much feature saturated. They can’t add much that is actually new, and with that in mind, I feel this years “improvements” are much more in the pulse of what us as players want.

Like I say, it’s subjective. And like you say, we’ll never know.

I'd argue the last 5 years has just seen old features repackaged as new features and in many cases they are worse than the old features.

The squad planner is a massive downgrade usefulness wise than the squad depth page that had the option to show you every position on the pitch regardless of tactics.

The club culture was an add on to board confidence and in theory was a game changer. In practice it's totally immersion breaking as lots of the fan feedback is nonsensical, such as I beat Sheff Weds 7-0 away as Barnsley. The fans gave the Game a D rating as they were disappointed I didn't play my reserve leftback.

You can just ignore the club's actual culture too because they'll just change it to whatever style of football you play within a season anyway.

Genuinely struggle to remember a genuine new feature in the past 5 seasons to be honest.

5 minutes ago, kiwityke1983 said:

I'd argue the last 5 years has just seen old features repackaged as new features and in many cases they are worse than the old features.

The squad planner is a massive downgrade usefulness wise than the squad depth page that had the option to show you every position on the pitch regardless of tactics.

The club culture was an add on to board confidence and in theory was a game changer. In practice it's totally immersion breaking as lots of the fan feedback is nonsensical, such as I beat Sheff Weds 7-0 away as Barnsley. The fans gave the Game a D rating as they were disappointed I didn't play my reserve leftback.

You can just ignore the club's actual culture too because they'll just change it to whatever style of football you play within a season anyway.

Genuinely struggle to remember a genuine new feature in the past 5 seasons to be honest.

Depends on how you play the game. The DOF doesn't interact with the old squad depth page...I get some people flat-out ignore the DOF and also scout manually, but the squad planner feature not being useful is a tired, hot take. It is useful for people who actually use it.

Edited by Mars_Blackmon

4 minutes ago, Mars_Blackmon said:

Depends on how you play the game. The DOF doesn't interact with the old squad depth page...I get some people flat-out ignore the DOF and also scout manually, but the squad planner feature not being useful is a tired, hot take. It is useful for people who actually use it.

It's genuinely useless and actually an annoyance for me when I get messages to transfer list a star player because he's not listed on my squad planner.

Mainly because my only use for the squad depth chart was when I first took over a side and I wanted to see what formation we could use with the players at my disposal.

After that I just knew my squad so had no need for a page telling me I needed to sign a leftback.

You literally can't do that now as you are forced to pick a tactic before you can see your squad depth.

So no N t a tired take just my honest opinion on a genuinely useless feature for me.

4 hours ago, kiwityke1983 said:

This is kind of my point though.

They haven’t added much, because there’s not much that’s truly missing. So instead they’ve had to make changes. This years changes seem to be a lot more in touch with what people think the game needs. I could throw a rock in here and come up with 100 threads complaining about AI squad building, or Set Pieces. How many threads are there where people are asking to know how many social media followers their club has?

Thats not to say those things shouldn’t be in the game, but it annoys people when these things go in, and other stuff gets left as is.

8 minutes ago, gunner86 said:

This is kind of my point though.

They haven’t added much, because there’s not much that’s truly missing. So instead they’ve had to make changes. This years changes seem to be a lot more in touch with what people think the game needs. I could throw a rock in here and come up with 100 threads complaining about AI squad building, or Set Pieces. How many threads are there where people are asking to know how many social media followers their club has?

Thats not to say those things shouldn’t be in the game, but it annoys people when these things go in, and other stuff gets left as is.

Oh I agree I think this year's features are the most exciting we've had in a few years as they seem to be sorting issues people have had with the game for years.

hace 12 horas, Mars_Blackmon dijo:

Yeah, the squad planner turned out to be useful for me, to check how well potential signings fit into my tactics.

On 14/10/2023 at 05:06, alian62 said:

It would be a wise idea to release the Beta Version of FM25 a lot earlier than 2 weeks next time to see how it goes . 

I've got a bit of a theory with this actually. Based on the facts that a) there's been a large team at SI working on it for three years, b) the FM25 feature reveal is scheduled much earlier than normal in Q2 2024, and c) the new feature this year where you can choose different play modes depending on whether you want the summer's transfers to happen at the start of the game, on the same date as real life, or not at all. That FM25 might release much earlier than the traditional slot in the year e.g. maybe in the second half of July when the Euros are over and the excitement for the new domestic season is at its peak. They could then have periodic data updates through the rest of the transfer window. Wouldn't even be surprised if there isn't a beta at all - they might want a big, glamourous, high-profile public launch for the new game. With so much changing, I wouldn't really assume any of the patterns we've been used to since FM05 will hold.

EDIT: Watching the Miles interview at EGX, he also says he wants the whole team other than the database folk to be able to move onto FM25 once 24 is out, not having to work till March on fixing it. So I wouldn't even count on there being traditional patch timings this year, and again makes me think FM25 might be less than the normal 12 months away.

Edited by CLS

1 hour ago, CLS said:

I've got a bit of a theory with this actually. Based on the facts that a) there's been a large team at SI working on it for three years, b) the FM25 feature reveal is scheduled much earlier than normal in Q2 2024, and c) the new feature this year where you can choose different play modes depending on whether you want the summer's transfers to happen at the start of the game, on the same date as real life, or not at all. That FM25 might release much earlier than the traditional slot in the year e.g. maybe in the second half of July when the Euros are over and the excitement for the new domestic season is at its peak. They could then have periodic data updates through the rest of the transfer window. Wouldn't even be surprised if there isn't a beta at all - they might want a big, glamourous, high-profile public launch for the new game. With so much changing, I wouldn't really assume any of the patterns we've been used to since FM05 will hold.

EDIT: Watching the Miles interview at EGX, he also says he wants the whole team other than the database folk to be able to move onto FM25 once 24 is out, not having to work till March on fixing it. So I wouldn't even count on there being traditional patch timings this year, and again makes me think FM25 might be less than the normal 12 months away.

Interesting theory.

it would be nice to have the game much earlier, like September release or something, if your theory is correct.

2 hours ago, CLS said:

Maybe but November has always been the month . Remeber too its near Xmas 

On 14/10/2023 at 22:23, kiwityke1983 said:

It's genuinely useless and actually an annoyance for me when I get messages to transfer list a star player because he's not listed on my squad planner.

Mainly because my only use for the squad depth chart was when I first took over a side and I wanted to see what formation we could use with the players at my disposal.

After that I just knew my squad so had no need for a page telling me I needed to sign a leftback.

You literally can't do that now as you are forced to pick a tactic before you can see your squad depth.

So no N t a tired take just my honest opinion on a genuinely useless feature for me.

I completely understand your point, and I think that integrating that view back into it is a great idea. However, I would like to suggest that saying it is useless as a general statement might not be entirely accurate. I respect your personal opinion on this matter, but perhaps we can find a way to appreciate the value of different perspectives.

46 minutes ago, kiwityke1983 said:

You literally called my take tired...

I believe the main issue is that the take you presented wasn't entirely your own. YouTubers expressed their thoughts on the matter, and then everyone else followed suit. The problem with your statement was that it didn't come across as an opinion, so I wasn't trying to attack you personally. You simply made a claim, but I digress.

Does anyone know how will the FM23 save translating into FM24 actually work? I tried to find specific information online but couldn't.

-Let's say i start a FM23 save in June 2022 database and want to play it in FM24, will it really start in the 2022/2023 database? Or only saves post that season can translate into FM24? 

7 minutes ago, DS7 said:

Does anyone know how will the FM23 save translating into FM24 actually work? I tried to find specific information online but couldn't.

-Let's say i start a FM23 save in June 2022 database and want to play it in FM24, will it really start in the 2022/2023 database? Or only saves post that season can translate into FM24? 

It will translate exactly how it is on FM23

5 hours ago, alian62 said:

Maybe but November has always been the month . Remeber too its near Xmas 

For FM players another Xmas are those days that different leagues start.

It could be a great possibility to release the game when transfers for the season are made, and kits etc. are ready.

8 hours ago, rristola said:

For FM players another Xmas are those days that different leagues start.

It could be a great possibility to release the game when transfers for the season are made, and kits etc. are ready.

Xmas =$$$$$$$ 

3 hours ago, andu1 said:

Like Fm23 handles them?

FM23 handles them through the Pre-Editor though and sometimes needs small modifications . This is a direct save to 24 so I'm curious too considering i use a custom built Nation 

Edited by alian62

7 hours ago, alian62 said:

FM23 handles them through the Pre-Editor though and sometimes needs small modifications . This is a direct save to 24 so I'm curious too considering i use a custom built Nation 

We are talking about save games here nothing to do with the pre game editor or custom nations.

If you have a saved game file from 23 it will work on 24, regardless of what is on it.

For example if I had created a 22 tier world super league on the editor those files would go into my editor data folder.  The game would use those files to create a new game.  Once the game is created you save it.  (The editor data files are NEVER used again)  This save file is what you can port onto FM24.

Editor files are only used to create a NEW game.  If you want to tinker with the editor files you mention you would be doing that in the FM23 editor and you would have to open it and save it in FM23 in order to port it across to FM24.  Every time you make changes.

This is my understanding

Edited by Brother Ben

12 minutes ago, Brother Ben said:

We are talking about save games here nothing to do with the pre game editor or custom nations.

If you have a saved game file from 23 it will work on 24, regardless of what is on it.

For example if I had created a 22 tier world super league on the editor those files would go into my editor data folder.  The game would use those files to create a new game.  Once the game is created you save it.  (The editor data files are NEVER used again)  This save file is what you can port onto FM24.

Editor files are only used to create a NEW game.  If you want to tinker with the editor files you mention you would be doing that in the FM23 editor and you would have to open it and save it in FM23 in order to port it across to FM24.  Every time you make changes.

This is my understanding

As quoted

FM23 saves that use custom leagues that don't exist in the FM24 base game.

Custom leagues are created using the Pre-Editor 

14 minutes ago, alian62 said:

As quoted

I'm not sure what part of that I didn't answer to be honest.  FM24 will use whatever was on the FM23 save file.  You are not using FM24 to create the game

19 minutes ago, alian62 said:

As quoted

Everything is contained within the save file. If Fm 23 can load it, so will FM 24 according to how they said the feature will work.

• SI Staff
13 hours ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

They have said that, in theory, save files that have used an edited DB 'should' work, but they haven't tested it. 

Its more that we can't exactly test every custom data/league file out there, as ever with custom edits its not under official support, but yeah as others have said it should work fine, if not, log an issue, hopefully it would be minor enoguh to easily be fixed.

All the creators I've seen this morning have said they have enjoyed it. But I'm sure they said the same last year, before they all got together in their wee huddle after the game was released to bash it to pieces. 

About the only one I trust is Loki, as he's always brutally honest, and he says it's the best FM he's ever played. So that's a good sign. 

Edited by Dagenham_Dave

1 hour ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

All the creators I've seen this morning have said they have enjoyed it. But I'm sure they said the same last year, before they all got together in their wee huddle after the game was released to bash it to pieces. 

About the only one I trust is Loki, as he's always brutally honest, and he says it's the best FM he's ever played. So that's a good sign. 

Actually Loki is the only one i like from that batch. Seems always genuine

Interesting snippet from Miles on an interview he did recently. They were talking about transfers and he mentioned this...

"They are talking to other clubs as well. The idea of a club buying a player just to stop you getting a player was actually more likely to happen in previous versions of the game. Because with the AI being that bit more intelligent in the squad plan, they're not going to sign another left-back to stop you."

Hopefully this is true, used to really annoy me when you had a player on your radar for a while, and when you finally made a bit, an AI team would make a bid out of nowhere just to beat you to it. 

Whole interview here... Interview

You mean a party whose livelihood depends on a product is initially positive about the product?  I'm shocked to my very core.

No-one's opinion, regardless of how long that person spends on the product, is going to be a match for your own.  

15 minutes ago, Marko1989 said:

I must congratulate SI for remarkable consistency in not changing the tactic screen for 4 years now ( maybe even more)

This has to be some Guinness record for laziness

FM 2021, 22, 23
NJKnmEY.thumb.png.25a88b27223bd9a1e83ea6b2a71ad1e1.png

FM 2024

xwsLbIw.png.5e1565feefa8332469ef43322f6d35b7.png

I still hate that the pitch markings in the background are tilted 😂

29 minutes ago, Marko1989 said:

I must congratulate SI for remarkable consistency in not changing the tactic screen for 4 years now ( maybe even more)

FM 2021, 22, 23
NJKnmEY.thumb.png.25a88b27223bd9a1e83ea6b2a71ad1e1.png

FM 2024

xwsLbIw.png.5e1565feefa8332469ef43322f6d35b7.png

Why change a good feature ? But it will change for FM25

55 minutes ago, Marko1989 said:

There is absolutely no need to change it. It's a part of the game people are arguably in more than any other, therefore familiarity is key. Changing for the sake of change is never a good thing. 

It'll change on FM25 anyway. 

I don't care about new features or anything. The main thing I want from the game is to add variety in how it can be played. 

The series has become so stale because there is one way of playing the game successfully & it's attack attack attack with press press press. If you don't enjoy playing like that then it just becomes a frustratingly dull game to play.

It's sad to say this but every addition they have released since 2018, the match engine seems to get worse and worse. You just can't make defensive systems viable consistently, if this is corrected in the new game I will be happy, but I have gone into the game thinking this for a good few years now & it hasn't been corrected. Not to mention the endless  list of bugs. Stop adding so much clutter to the game & fix the stuff that's already in it.

Rant over!

21 minutes ago, nb9 said:

I don't care about new features or anything. The main thing I want from the game is to add variety in how it can be played. 

The series has become so stale because there is one way of playing the game successfully & it's attack attack attack with press press press. If you don't enjoy playing like that then it just becomes a frustratingly dull game to play.

It's sad to say this but every addition they have released since 2018, the match engine seems to get worse and worse. You just can't make defensive systems viable consistently, if this is corrected in the new game I will be happy, but I have gone into the game thinking this for a good few years now & it hasn't been corrected. Not to mention the endless  list of bugs. Stop adding so much clutter to the game & fix the stuff that's already in it.

Rant over!

I don't play like that and I am doing alright. I play a simple 442 wing play with a mid block, classic get it out wide ad get it in the box. I probably could have more success if I used those other tactics, but it is still viable to play a different way in my opinion. 

You can have success playing any system in FM as long as you have the right players with good personalities and you're able to keep up morale and cohesion to high levels. This fallacy of only being able to play one way is usually peddled by people who have only played one way, or have tried one other way and it's failed because of what I mentioned above. 

45 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

There is absolutely no need to change it. It's a part of the game people are arguably in more than any other, therefore familiarity is key. Changing for the sake of change is never a good thing. 

It'll change on FM25 anyway. 

1 hour ago, alian62 said:

Why change a good feature ? But it will change for FM25

I didn't mean a change in terms of functionality. I meant in terms of how it looks.

Why do you mean people who make skins are adding for example grass texture to the field or why they are adding player images next to play position icons. Because it is starting to be monotone.

In terms of functionality, it is fine, but it is like seeing the same software for years now. Imagine playing 5 sequels of some other game and the menus, aesthetics, and graphics are exactly the same. Of course, it would become boring. They were changing it before so it is not just changing it for the sake of change. Sometimes after 5 years, the game must look fresh without relying on a skinning forum.

9Oz5mfJ.png.27a6b9f43779574d0524ea96b38f8232.png

b5kTTru.png.b2542bbc59386db39f0bc7611d341f47.png

tWnDeIq.png.d002d775182ebe05a7ab48900a23ec98.png

7 minutes ago, Marko1989 said:

I didn't mean a change in terms of functionality. I meant in terms of how it looks.

Why do you mean people who make skins are adding for example grass texture to the field or why they are adding player images next to play position icons. Because it is starting to be monotone.

In terms of functionality, it is fine, but it is like seeing the same software for years now. Imagine playing 5 sequels of some other game and the menus, aesthetics, and graphics are exactly the same. Of course, it would become boring. They were changing it before so it is not just changing it for the sake of change. Sometimes after 5 years, the game must look fresh without relying on a skinning forum.

9Oz5mfJ.png.27a6b9f43779574d0524ea96b38f8232.png

b5kTTru.png.b2542bbc59386db39f0bc7611d341f47.png

tWnDeIq.png.d002d775182ebe05a7ab48900a23ec98.png

I was a developer, I'd make the minimum effort with how the skin looks as almost everyone downloads a new one within a week anyway. 

52 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

You can have success playing any system in FM as long as you have the right players with good personalities and you're able to keep up morale and cohesion to high levels. This fallacy of only being able to play one way is usually peddled by people who have only played one way, or have tried one other way and it's failed because of what I mentioned above. 

This is absolute nonsense. It is objectively more difficult to achieve anything in the game if you are playing defensive systems.

You can build clubs over years playing a defensive system buying players tailored to that way of playing, then switch to the standard boring gegenpress attacking style with no effort and get much better results. Over and over again.

Go and look in the custom tactics forum just for starters, almost all the most successful tactics play the same way regardless of perssonel. To suggest it's to do with not having the right players is disingenious. 

The match engine needs to encourage more variety in playstyle, that is a fact.

Edited by nb9