Match 32: Portugal vs Uruguay 7pm GMT, Lusail Iconic Stadium

The_jagster

Could be feisty, could be very defensive, could be both. Sort out your graphic design, Uruguay, far too busy.

Uruguay.jpg.bb0ca08f8b24afd77d2c78b7d49d6757.jpg

Portugal.thumb.jpg.94ccba90b0bed15338e0e3f3d29e6b24.jpg

Their results so far:

Urguay drew 0-0 with Korea, Portugal beat Ghana.

The consequences?

Portugal are through if they win. Uruguay would need to beat Ghana if they don't win today, and could still qualify if they lose, but are relying on Portugal getting a result on matchday 3 as well.

History at the World Cup?

Uruguay won it twice in 1930 and 1950, and after a fairly barren spell have done better in the past 20 years, finishing 4th in 2010.

Portugal finished 4th in 1966 with Eusebio, despite being 3-0 down to North Korea in the quarters. After being pretty useless they are now considered a big side but have still only got past the last 16 once since qualifying for every 21st century world cup, finishing 4th in 2006.

Past meetings?

Uruguay knocked out Portugal in the last 16 in Russia with a 2-1 win

Image result for Uruguay 2 - 1 Portugal gif

Image result for Uruguay 2 - 1 Portugal gif

Top 30 Cavani Goal GIFs | Find the best GIF on Gfycat

Culture?

I am not familiar with any musicians from either country and I don't need to hear Portugal the Man again. You could read some Eduardo Galleano if you like left wing politics, the Uruguayan even wrote a book on football.

Edited by The_jagster

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Going for Portugal to win 2-1. On red cards. And Ronaldo to have a hissy fit when Suárez mistakes his shoulder for a meal at full-time.

Also, if football does occasionally break out at any point, I'm going for Uruguay to grind out a win.

If this doesn't turn into a Wikipedia article titled "Battle of Lusail", I'll be very disappointed. :D

14 minutes ago, Weezer said:

0-0, nailed on.

Absolute masterclass in ****housing for any kids watching though.

Thing is, we all said this before the R16 meeting in 2018.  And it ended up 2-1 with only one yellow card :D

I think probably a Portugal win puts the most jeopardy onto the Ghana v Uruguay decider.  Does it?  You basically want a situation where they both have to play for the win but one of them is definitely going home.

6 minutes ago, CFuller said:

Going for Portugal to win 2-1. On red cards. And Ronaldo to have a hissy fit when Suárez mistakes his shoulder for a meal at full-time.

Also, if football does occasionally break out at any point, I'm going for Uruguay to grind out a win.

If this doesn't turn into a Wikipedia article titled "Battle of Lusail", I'll be very disappointed. :D

Does Bitey still bite?

1 minute ago, Rob1981 said:

Godin, Cavani, Pepe, Ronaldo... four players with a combined age of 147 :D

Godín went to Atlético Mineiro this year and was awful, then he moved to Vélez. It's embarrassing to still have him in their squad.