In your opinion, what has been the best all-round FM edition?

Each FM brings many of us new joys, but each one also continues to miss the mark in certain areas- particularly of the A.I match engine. 
Does each FM simply get better and better, or does a specific one standout for you? When did S.I ‘get it right’ for all-round game play?

I can't tell you exactly why but FM12 for me gave me the most enjoyment, I'm all for the game adding realism but later editions just don't seem as 'fun' to me and I'm one of those that doesn't really hold a strong opinion either way on the match engine - I'm happy enough having it on 2D classic or commentary only. 

6 minutes ago, TheWednesday said:

I can't tell you exactly why but FM12 for me gave me the most enjoyment, I'm all for the game adding realism but later editions just don't seem as 'fun' to me and I'm one of those that doesn't really hold a strong opinion either way on the match engine - I'm happy enough having it on 2D classic or commentary only. 

A man (or woman - can't tell by the name!) after my own heart. 2D all the way. I never brought-in to the 3D views. Takes the realism out of the game and too FIFA like (Not a FIFA fan).

Also - again, man/woman after my own heart. I adored FM12. Probably the last FM I played for 5+ seasons. I cannot load it anymore because Steam/Mac is too advanced for it, which is annoying.

To me that was FM 2015.

It was ideally something between easy and hard game. 

Also, in that game player traits mattered the most. It was amazing when you learn your MC get forward whenever possible, or your inside forward + when you learn him "play one-two" you could actually see that on the pitch. I have no idea how they managed to ruin inside forwads in next iterations. 

It had perfect variety of goals. 2D engine also looked much better. With stadium stands, even the goals looked much better, skewed a bit to look more like a goal, and not just lazy rectangle as it is now. But that was the time when they cared about 2D, now 2D looks like something slapped in MS Paint without any care. 

7LBtm8E.png.12b4eeda9b595495180d56ef80e2c4bf.png

3XBSlmM.png.ef471f116e23127a994b590864e314bd.png

2017-2d.jpg.1ddc5d0fe24256c0a5322c54ef08c802.jpg

Edited by Marko1989

It depends what you mean by best. FM22 is the most complete game, but while I enjoy playing it, it’s not my favourite.

For most people, the best version of the game will correspond with their favourite save.
That honour goes to FM13 for me. It’s the only version of the game I’ve played 12+ seasons on one save. It was stable from Beta, had a good enough ME, and wasn’t so bloated that you could get through a season pretty quickly, and I had an amazing newgen come through my academy. He was an AMC, broke into the first team at 17 when he scored the winner in the community shield and was 26 when FM14 came out and I left him behind. Jeff Cullen, if you’re out there, I miss you.

It depends on what you mean by "best". I don't think any older FM are anywhere near better than the current one. However, that doesn't mean it might be the most enjoyable or memorable. I still remember a lot of my saves from way back in CM2 with lots of fondness and nostalgia. As for newer versions, FM19 holds a special place in my heart since in that version I completed the youth challenge and won the CL with Kettering without every buying a player, but to top it all of my in-game son were part of the team that won both the CL and PL for me. Those are the stories that you remember, no matter how objectively good the game is.

Enjoyment ≠ quality

13 ore fa, FrazT ha scritto:

@Federico  I have hidden your post as unnecessary.  If you think that a thread has been covered already then either link the user to a previous thread or ignore it- there is no need to comment further.

No problem 👍

I thought it rather was a post to giggle about but I get it can be easily misread and i apologize that it sounded rude or sarcastic, which it wasn't meant to be.

5 hours ago, Federico said:

No problem 👍

I thought it rather was a post to giggle about but I get it can be easily misread and i apologize that it sounded rude or sarcastic, which it wasn't meant to be.

Apology accepted.

I know FM12 was the last one before the ME got reworked and introduced player collision when running with the ball, but it really was the best one.

Have moved on now, even with all the little annoyances in the ME i had grown accustomed to :D 

I enjoyed and played FM11, FM15, and FM19 the most, but each of those games had realism flaws. FM11 had a serious near post corner exploit. FM15 had way too many goals no matter what tactic anyone used. FM19 had super-conservative AI tactics that could result in 100+ goalkeeper passes in a match. These past games were all super-fun, but they were never quite right.

The game is getting better at limiting the exploits and producing more realistic outcomes, though that doesn't always make for a more fun experience. The more realistic the game becomes, the less in control of the outcomes I feel, and that's not particularly satisfying in a virtual gaming world.

Probably FM19 for me, i had my best ever save and it was the only time i've had a son in game and i had two of them about 25 seasons apart. I enjoyed it that much i skipped FM20 because i wasn't ready to give up my save.

• 2 months later...
9 hours ago, talhak said:

I've been playing CM/FM since early days and have played each version. And, to be honest, my answer is always the latest version.

Same here to be honest.  Going back to old versions always makes me feel like i'm missing stuff.  As I mentioned in the other thread though I do have a soft spot for 01/02 as it feels like an entirely different game with it being purely text based

В 23.04.2022 в 12:52, XaW сказал:

It depends on what you mean by "best". I don't think any older FM are anywhere near better than the current one. However, that doesn't mean it might be the most enjoyable or memorable

imo the best = the most corrected and balanced me , able to be effective in any style. Issue for me that fm21 is the best by interface. I tried to play old editions and this is impossible without new features like select squad for next game only, etc from fm21. Also fm21 is pretty good in ai management. In compare of fm17-18 at least.  

In memorable terms fm08 and fm10 the best for me, because it was interesting to play without frustration. I felt control of own tactic and could play in this like sandbox.

The most all round FM, I would say FM22, there is plenty to do for your heart's content. If you like to use everything.

The most fun, well that is definitely FM07.

Edited by grade