The team of the tournament thread

The "official" UEFA team of the tournament:

Here are some others from the various self-appointed experts of all kinds of reputable and lesser outlets ready for the inevitable ridicule and outrage.

Goal.com's Mark Doyle put on his Azurri-colored glasses:
Goal.thumb.png.87679be4d80304a28ee9cc1a27a83d05.png

CBS Sports features Toni Kroos :D

The Score shoehorning their favorites into a rather unrealistic formation:

2NV79KH.png.b725cc3ac5361faf5b7c95af8b706f02.png

Germany's Kicker magazine features a pretty offensive lineup:

Kicker.thumb.png.e768b52a060b70a2b722802abab8f124.png

Spain's as decided to put Schick as an attacking midfielder so they can have both him and Ronaldo:

as.thumb.png.f63cacea64a4856e52a4c48b734ef054.png

Football Joe featuring not one, but two Czechs:

https://twitter.com/FootballJOE/status/1414553196102553603?s=20

I'm too lazy to make any more formations. Why can't these outlets do their own graphic?

Edited by The Amazing Dale Watkins
updated with the official one

Here's mine, and some other people's from earlier in the tournament

3 minutes ago, skybluedave said:

Why's everyone shoehorning Maehle in as right back?

Not many others stood out, and Maehle is right footed.

-

Kroos is a hilarious choice, great player in his last ever tournament but played one knockout game and was invisible in it. If we're dishing out lifetime achievement awards, Modric was better. Can think of a pretty big reason not to select Pogba too...

I'm immediately discarding any team with Kane and/or Ronaldo, neither of them had a stand out performance in the entire tournament that i can recall. You could probably post 3 lineups with the 11 completely changed though and id have little argument. There were multiple stand outs in every position i feel.

Just now, skybluedave said:

Yeah I know. But he played at left back. If you picking a team of tournament right back back he should have played that position. Seems odd other wise

tbh teams of the tournament usually drag forwards all over the pitch to create space for lots of them: sticking someone in his natural position is relatively sensible

If you want something genuinely weird, here's Whoscored's algorithm's attempt to pick the best players in the final. Maybe Southgate didn't pick enough fullbacks :D (and where is Chiesa?)

image.png.13496dd2b13ab7c7af9cd3047297cb7b.png

Their team of the tournament is a bit less illogical, but Meunier is a weird call

image.png.4fd139803cb95af4c5542852a460d6d0.png

Chiesa comes up badly on whoscored metrics because he often loses it despite obviously being capable of stuff Italy's other attackers aren't. I thought only Barry would have Sterling in a combined eleven from yesterday.

My team is more 'players who played at a higher level than I might have expected' bar a few obvious ones

Schmeichel

Coufal - Bonucci - Maguire - Shaw

Hojbjerg - Modric - Forsberg

Chiesa - Schick - Sterling

Didn't really rate Coufal but despite not looking great technically he is actually really good at crossing and creating space to do so and can defend. I thought Forsberg was meh and Sweden just lacked options but nope he's good. I feel if Schmeichel could kick better he wouldn't be at Leicester and Chiesa surprised me.

Overrated based on a few good moments: Damsgaard, Dolberg, Dumfries, Spinazzola

Edited by The_jagster

'He was good' should be what matters though. 

Donnarumma; Walker, Bonucci, Chiellini, Shaw; Pedri, Jorginho, Pogba; Sterling, Schick, Forsberg

Think Schick has to be the striker. He played five games and scored in four of them. Not like he bagged them all against Scotland and then did nothing. Scored in both the knockout games he played in.

Donnarumma

Walker  - Maguire - Chiellini 

Dumfries ------------------------- Shaw

Pedri - Hojbjerg

Sterling - Schick - Chiesa

Was really struggling for central midfielders like :D

49 minutes ago, PaulHartman71 said:

I’d have Xhaka, Rice or Phillips in over Pogba if I hadn’t gone for Hojberg. 

I know Xhaka had a good game against France but what else did he do? I don't remember him being impressive in any of their group games.

I thought Barella had a pretty good tournament, think Hojbjerg is a decent shout though.

5 hours ago, Marc Albrighton said:

I'm immediately discarding any team with Kane and/or Ronaldo...

Absolutely. Schick and/or Dolberg. 

Pogba was player of the tournament, until he put himself over team being ridiculous, and ultimately cost them a game they should have had wrapped up. Give his spot to Pedri. Hardly his fault his team couldn't finish.

Edited by XuluBak

Or Kane...  I'm no hater and I think he's one of the best in the game, but I don't think he was consistent enough for one of the coveted striker spots. Also, his two standout performances came against the Ukraine and Denmark, not against elite opposition.

Edited by The Amazing Dale Watkins

88E87891-8339-431F-B249-0B343560E90C.thumb.jpeg.6b34e15591324e3cba84b0d5e7825114.jpeg

The BBC's Team of the Tournament selector is missing a lot of midfielders who would've been up there (Verratti, Hojbjerg, Phillips, Rice). So if you just pretend that Locatelli is actually Verratti, then this is my Best XI. :D

Well if you mean Denmark, they had an easy group, and then knockouts of Wales and Czech Republic. I'd expect Denmark to beat Wales. Czech Republic is a 50-50 given how the Czechs played. But I certainly don't look at their run and think 'wow, didn't they go further than they should'. They went as far as their draw allowed them and progressed from their group with a massive 3 points

2 minutes ago, The Amazing Dale Watkins said:

UEFA snubbing Ronaldo for Lukaku is a very odd decision for them. That's like picking Benzema.

What exactly did either one do to deserve a spot?

Cristiano scored a penalty for 0-2 against Hungary and then a 0-3 1v1 against keeper when they fell apart.

Ran a counter for a tap-in against Germany and assisted for irrelevant 2-4 goal.

Scored 2 penalties against France.

Did absolutely nothing against Belgium.

Lukaku scored two against Russia, one was the opening goal.

Was a huge part of build-up in both goals against Denmark.

Had a goal against Finland disallowed and scored a penalty.

Didn't do much against Portugal, scored a penalty and missed a sitter against Italy.

Neither did enough to be in the team of the tournament, but Lukaku at least had an impact in every game.

Dolberg should've had it, maybe Schick.

I don't know why so many teams have Dolberg in, he played 2 and a half matches all tournament. Gifted a goal against Wales and took two goals very well. Schick had a range of finishes and looked a class above those playing behind him.

Edited by The_jagster
Matches not halves

38 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Cristiano scored a penalty for 0-2 against Hungary and then a 0-3 1v1 against keeper when they fell apart.

Ran a counter for a tap-in against Germany and assisted for irrelevant 2-4 goal.

Didn't do much against Portugal, scored a penalty and missed a sitter against Italy.

Neither did enough to be in the team of the tournament, but Lukaku at least had an impact in every game.

Yeah. I'm not arguing Ronaldo should be included, but it's UEFA and he was the official top scorer, so I 100% expected him to be in there, because that's how they always choose.

3 hours ago, GunmaN1905 said:

The reason is combination play. Sterling with the dives, Lukaku with the resulting penalties.

15 hours ago, Smaldini said:

My team would be:

Donnarumma

Bonucci Maguire Shaw

Maehle Pogba Pedri Spinazzola

Sterling Schick Chiesa

This is really hard to argue with.  Think you could fill a whole team with high performing fullbacks and wingbacks from this tournament, so this is a nice way to get Shaw, Spinazzola and Maehle in.

Argument to be made for Schmeichel in goal I think, purely due to the amount of shots he faced and saves he made.

Insigne also unlucky to miss out, but just wasn't as dangerous as Chiesa and Sterling.

My final team:

Donnarumma (ITA)
Shaw (ENG)
Chiellini (ITA)
Bonucci (ITA)
Spinazzola (ITA)
Jorginho (ITA)
Verratti (ITA)
Pedri (SPA)
Sterling (ENG)
Kane (ENG)
Chiesa (ITA)

Subs (15 subs to make it a 26 man squad):

Sommer (SWI)
Schmeichel (DEN)
Walker (ENG)
Stones (ENG)
Maguire (ENG)
Christensen (DEN)
Maehle (DEN)
Busquets (SPA)
Hojbjerg (DEN)
Pogba (FRA)
De Bruyne (BEL)
Damsgaard (DEN)
Insigne (ITA)
Benzema (FRA)
Schick (CZE)

Player of the tournament: Raheem Sterling (ENG)