Match 20: Croatia vs Czech Republic - 5PM (BST) BBC1 - live from Hampden Park

The Golden boy

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

7 minutes ago, DJ said:

Penalty all the way. Look at his arms. The left one is close to his body, the left one stretched out and moving backwards relative to his body. That is more than a jumping/equilibrium movement. It's an elbow check.
And of course it is a foul that leads to a penalty. 'He didn't see the opponent' is no excuse. 

More replays I watch, more I come round to this. There's a bit of a difference between his raised left arm and raised right arm. Right one does seem to get a bit of extra thrust back. One of those where the player probably knows what he's doing, but never expect it to be given as a penalty.

2 minutes ago, Astafjevs said:

More replays I watch, more I come round to this. There's a bit of a difference between his raised left arm and raised right arm. Right one does seem to get a bit of extra thrust back. One of those where the player probably knows what he's doing, but never expect it to be given as a penalty.

Of course there's a difference between the arms. That's how you balance. How else are you adjusting to get to a ball once both legs have left the ground?

1 minute ago, kpain16 said:

Losing against a clearly inferior set of players, but I guess that's our reality now.

Literally wasted 10 years on disgustingly awful puppet coaches and somehow got a WC final to show for it.

Just now, craigcwwe said:

Worse than Chelsea?

They're literally repeating "Czechs!" whole half long and nothing else.

So I guess it's close to Chelseaaaaa, Chelseaaaa :D

Edited by GunmaN1905

Difference between the arms isn't really how you balance. Even just looking at it there, the right one for some reason gets thrown back towards Schick, the left one with no player near him doesn't.

I think there'll be a load of these not given in the competition, so from a consistency point of view it's ****, but it should be given.

I suppose the ref has seen it like one of decisions where it might be totally accidental but still a foul as the player was still hurt and impeded.

I also think this is probably a foul on most occasions elsewhere on the pitch.

And there goes Rio with "intent", intent is irrelevant.

From one angle it actually looks like Lovren mistimed his jump and was going to miss most of the ball, so he did this wild swing with the arm to get his head on it. I still think that hitting Schick in the face was accidental, but yeah, I guess it was his own fault and a bit reckless. Changing my verdict to "meh".

Just now, CFuller said:

Great strike by Perisic.

Not so great commentary by Dion Dublin, who says an awful lot without saying anything.

I'll never get how some ex pros manage to offer so little insight. They've played the game at the very highest level, and you'd have thought they'd have had some in depth tactical talks from managers over the years, yet they don't say anything the average fan could.

2 minutes ago, Baptista_8 said:

I'll never get how some ex pros manage to offer so little insight. They've played the game at the very highest level, and you'd have thought they'd have had some in depth tactical talks from managers over the years, yet they don't say anything the average fan could.

Not some, but like 80% of them.

Football isn't a thinking man's game. Most players are just instinctive and have the talent for the game, even the most creative ones. Then don't think about stuff, they just do what they're told and make instinctive passes.

2 minutes ago, Baptista_8 said:

He's played both CB and ST so you'd think he had a great grasp of many aspects of the game as well.

Dublin also kills time so that he can't get shown up on the replay if his instinct is wrong.

Edit: tbf he was talking about movement in the first half and at least offering something beyond telling us what happened while we see it on the replay

Edited by The_jagster