Football Manager 2020 Feedback Thread

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, roykela said:

There will ALWAYS be bugs. It's a computer software program. A rather large and complicated one as well.
It was quite good for you, perhaps. There were still people who thought FM19's ME was the worst one ever.
What glaring issues are you specifically pointing towards?

Please look in the Bug Forum or at the many other parts of this forum and you see what he means with issues.

9 minutes ago, roykela said:

What do you mean by 3D match issue and what are the annoying bugs and obvious issues?

My CDs are sending only long balls forward t even the passing playing style is very short passes and playing on the wings..as an obvious annoying issue... :(

Just now, Alannnnn said:

FM19 was an example. It's just ridiculous they do it every single year without fail. They'll have a semi decent game come march (after many patches), then next release it's got these ridiculous bugs in it. Rinse and repeat. After many years now, you'd have thought they'd have something resembling a solid match engine. 

Glaring issues have been posted many times before in the bugs forum. 

I could say the same thing about every single FM released. It will always be that way. For some it is the greatest whilst for others it'll be the worst.
Resembling a solid match engine...what does that mean from your perspective. From my perspective they do have a pretty solid ME. It sure could be improved but that will always be the case.
Everything can always be improved.

Issues have been posted many times, yes. But what glaring issues are YOU talking about?

12 minutes ago, prot651 said:

2 or 3 years they would go broke . Turnover is the key every year to release just enough new stuff to keep people interested 

Then just release same old previous version (if a new without many bugs is not possible) and update only the players/staff database. Until they are able to provide a game not so annoying like this last one (and again..i am saying annoying considering the high number of reports).

6 minutes ago, roykela said:

The one? There are hundreds there, so which one?

I think the point he's trying to make is, why isn't the match engine in FM20 the same as the one in the final version of FM19. It obviously isn't as the first version of the match engine in FM20 had that issue of players passing it back and forth from the wings. That wasn't an issue in the last version of FM19 so where has that come from?

7 minutes ago, bitzu_rock said:

My CDs are sending only long balls forward t even the passing playing style is very short passes and playing on the wings..as an obvious annoying issue... :(

I know that quite a few players see that more often than they should, and thus pointing towards an issue, yes.
But it might not be so glaringly obvious to everyone. My CDs are not doing this.
So if i hadn't read anything here i wouldn't have had a clue about the issue, as my players are simply not doing it.
Then we have another issue. Why in your case and not in mine?
Is the issue more prone to happen in certain tactical setups? Is it just a tactical issue? Is it not a tactical issue and something that needs to be addressed?
Something that appear to be a glaring issue might not be so glaringly obvious as one might think.

Edited by roykela

1 minute ago, Tiger666 said:

I think the point he's trying to make is, why isn't the match engine in FM20 the same as the one in the final version of FM19. It obviously isn't as the first version of the match engine in FM20 had that issue of players passing it back and forth from the wings. That wasn't an issue in the last version of FM19 so where has that come from?

I know the point he was making.
I just want to make my point as well, but for that, i need to know exactly where it's going.

4 minutes ago, roykela said:

I could say the same thing about every single FM released. It will always be that way. For some it is the greatest whilst for others it'll be the worst.
Resembling a solid match engine...what does that mean from your perspective. From my perspective they do have a pretty solid ME. It sure could be improved but that will always be the case.
Everything can always be improved.

Issues have been posted many times, yes. But what glaring issues are YOU talking about?

My issues are the lags during 3D match (though i have 5/5 stars 3D rating) and some annoying game actions....like CDs not passing short, to many missed goals 1vs1, even to many goals scored from distance...those being reported not only by me...

5 minutes ago, roykela said:

I know that quite a few players see that more often than they should, and thus pointing towards an issue, yes.
But it might not be as glaringly obvious to everyone. My CDs are not doing this.
So if i hadn't read anything here i wouldn't have had a clue about the issue, as my players are simply not doing it.
Is the issue more prone to happen in certain tactical setups? Is it just a tactical issue? Is it not a tactical issue and something that needs to be addressed?
Something that appear to be a glaring issue might not be so glaringly obvious as one might think.

Passing style set to very short/ short pass when in possession, use flanks....when CDs in possession always make long shots to the forwards...Used same tactic on FM19 and was ok

Edited by bitzu_rock

2 minutes ago, Delvi said:

I think that every customer will be much happier having SI working 90% of time on improving the ME, instead of using their time for implementing new features like the chairman active on transfer market after takeovers...

It may seems harsh, but I firmly believe that ME is crucial for enjoying the game.

TRUE!

1 minute ago, bitzu_rock said:

My issues are the lags during 3D match (though i have 5/5 stars 3D rating) and some annoying game actions....like CDs not passing short, to many missed goals 1vs1, even to many goals scored from distance...those being reported not only by me...

That, i also know. About the lags during 3D match. I'm having an Nvidia Geforce card and i did see some stutter at some point. It is gone now, however. Without any updates from SI.
It got better/fixed after a Windows Update. As of now, i don't have any stutter (queue the inevitable next match stutter :D)
That is a more of an issue that is obvious for those who experience it. But what about those who don't have that issue? Again, it might be a glaring issue for you, but not for everybody.

It is exactly that which is the tricky part about it. Why you and not me? Why me and not you? What are the similarities? What are the differences?

4 minutes ago, bitzu_rock said:

Passing style set to very short/ short pass when in possession, use flanks....when CDs in possession always make long shots to the forwards...Used same tactic on FM19 and was ok

I'm using the same tactic as i did on FM19 as well and i still don't have those issues. I've told my CDs to play short and they do play it short.
Only time they're not playing it short is when the clear the ball from dangerous situations.

1 minute ago, roykela said:

That, i also know. About the lags during 3D match. I'm having an Nvidia Geforce card and i did see some stutter at some point. It is gone now, however. Without any updates from SI.
It got better/fixed after a Windows Update. As of now, i don't have any stutter (queue the inevitable next match stutter :D)
That is a more of an issue that is obvious for those who experience it. But what about those who don't have that issue? Again, it might be a glaring issue for you, but not for everybody.

It is exactly that which is the tricky part about it. Why you and not me? Why me and not you? What are the similarities? What are the differences?

It should NOT be an issue for no one with a high graphic card...not just for some...considering that previous versions worked fine...

I'm using the same tactic as i did on FM19 as well and i still don't have those issues. I've told my CDs to play short and they do play it short.
Only time they're not playing it short is when the clear the ball from dangerous situations.

Well....for me it happens every time...even they are not under pressure. Believe me, i do not expect a FIFA game experience, but i remember playing FM08, FM09 and not having those big tactics match mistakes...i mean...for me it is clearly something wrong seeing this...

3 minutes ago, bitzu_rock said:

Ok...so that i understand @roykela....do you think there are no major issue with the game ?

Issues? Absolutely. My biggest headache are the custom views. Have been for quite a few years now.
Major. Depends on what you regard as major.
For me, the way i'm playing the game, i see a lot of tiny issues. I don't get too many 1v1s. My wide players aren't banging the ball into the side netting. I don't have too many long shots but i would argue that of those taken, too many end up as goals.
It's not having that stutter it used to have.  So i'd say, for me? Nothing major. I'm not saying there aren't any major issues. I'm just saying i don't see them in my game.

And that was ,sort of, my point. It might not be so obvious as one might think. Which tells me there's a very, very fine balancing act here.
One step to the right makes you happe. One step to the left makes me happy, if you understand the picture i'm trying to paint :) 

12 minutes ago, roykela said:

But it might not be as glaringly obvious to everyone. My CDs are not doing this.

My CDs are doing it too, they have the DLP or the CM in front of them unmarked, with his PI of Play short simple passes, play from defense, short passing, low tempo and balanced mentality, still they decide to make a 40 yard pass to the opposite FB, can you please tell me how I stop this? Am I too aggressive in my tactic?

4 minutes ago, herne79 said:

@bitzu_rock @roykela Just out of curiosity, what roles do you give your central defenders and what Mentality do you use?

My CDs are on defend (central defenders on defend) ...Attacking play possession mentality. But again..used this on FM19 and did not see the long passes forward (at least if they were, were very few, not to be annoying).

Edited by bitzu_rock

And i just realised now that i have given only one of my CDs the Pass It Shorter instruction.

My Tactics:
751489724_Merknad2019-12-18130753.thumb.jpg.6aec1a8a2f04ef434bcc70423e411560.jpg

My CDc with instructions:
21965589_Merknad2019-12-18130907.thumb.jpg.0f6d8c742ed040bcc78c69e9996fdb5c.jpg

My CDd with instructions:
1147820639_Merknad2019-12-18130933.thumb.jpg.7bfcd7b0c362b37b6e6f7cad312dfa2e.jpg

Ok...but being a CD on defend and if passing style is play shorter...and control passing game....shouldn't the CDs pass short anyway ? 

4 minutes ago, Sharkn20 said:

My CDs are doing it too, they have the DLP or the CM in front of them unmarked, with his PI of Play short simple passes, play from defense, short passing, low tempo and balanced mentality, still they decide to make a 40 yard pass to the opposite FB, can you please tell me how I stop this? Am I too aggressive in my tactic?

Now, that i would not be able to answer properly, as i'm not a tactical guru at all :D
You won't, or shouldn't be able to stop them completely for making those passes.

What i did in my game was to create a tactic from scratch. Then i observed a few games to notice tendencies in my players.
I noticed that my CDs were happy with long passes. A bit too many for my liking but nothing excessive. It was more the timing of when they did those long passes. It was always the wrong timing.
I told them (or, apparently only one of them) to keep it short.
That worked. They're keeping it short.

But you'd be better off asking someone who knows more about tactics in general.

1 minute ago, bitzu_rock said:

My CDs are on defend (central defenders on defend) ...Attacking play possession mentality.

Just now, roykela said:

And i just realised now that i have given only one of my CDs the Pass It Shorter instruction.

ok cheers.  The obvious difference is your chosen Mentality.  Mentality (amongst other things) increases your player's individual Mentality (viewable from the Player Instruction screen).  This makes all of your players more forward focussed and attack minded.  Thus I would expect defenders with that Mentality to occasionally try more long balls forward than in lower Mentalities.

However, that should still not be a common occurrence.  Seeing lots of long passes from the back regularly in all matches is an area to improve the ME in.  Yes tactical settings may increase or decrease the commonality of the issue (roykela using the Balanced mentality for example), but an issue it remains. 

It's also worth noting that tactical instructions (such as pass shorter) are not really instructions - they are tendencies.  So players should tend to look to play shorter passes more often but will still do other things if/when they decide to.  Players aren't robots.

6 minutes ago, bitzu_rock said:

Ok...but being a CD on defend and if passing style is play shorter...and control passing game....shouldn't the CDs pass short anyway ? 

On paper, yes. But it's contextual (speaking tactic-wise purely now. and as mention earlier, just now, to another post; i'm not a tactical expert by any means).
There's a lot more to it than a controlling passing game. They can still make erronous decisions, depending on the situation. Now, how often they make they decisions
CAN point towards an issue. It might not be but it could as well be. 
It has to be narrowed down though, to what circumstances trigger these long passes.

7 minutes ago, herne79 said:

ok cheers.  The obvious difference is your chosen Mentality.  Mentality (amongst other things) increases your player's individual Mentality (viewable from the Player Instruction screen).  This makes all of your players more forward focussed and attack minded.  Thus I would expect defenders with that Mentality to occasionally try more long balls forward than in lower Mentalities.

However, that should still not be a common occurrence.  Seeing lots of long passes from the back regularly in all matches is an area to improve the ME in.  Yes tactical settings may increase or decrease the commonality of the issue (roykela using the Balanced mentality for example), but an issue it remains. 

It's also worth noting that tactical instructions (such as pass shorter) are not really instructions - they are tendencies.  So players should tend to look to play shorter passes more often but will still do other things if/when they decide to.  Players aren't robots.

Ok...so in my opinion if CDs are on defend + short passing style + control passing ...they should still play short passes at least 80-90 % even without the individual instructions to play short....but instead they play long balls like 97 %....weird, right?

3 minutes ago, herne79 said:

Pretty much what you say in the bolded part.
That's also why you see a personalised instruction on my CM on support.
The tendency was that that particular position and role/duty was happy taking a few too many long shots.
Some players in that position more than others. That's why i told that player to take fewer long shots.
All of a sudden we weren't finishing our attacks prematurely.

I think that must be emphasized.
They aren't do-this-only instructions. They, as you say, are tendencies. Do more of that. Do less of that. Players will never, ever play the ball short/long all the time just because i've told them to keep it short/long.

Just think of real life instructions. "I've told you not to do that. Why do you keep on doing it?".
In one game, when i was a coach, i had a player that sent a player on the opposite team to hospital with a crunching tackle.
I told the player to cool it a bit. Player went on to send another player, in the same game, to hospital with another crunching tackle.
I took the player off. Partly because of not following instructions. Partly because the player put our entire team's chances of winning in jeopardy due to the risk of a red card.
It was a tendency, in spite of my instructions, that i couldn't have in that match.

FM-wise it would have been:
TI=Get Stuck In.
PI=Ease Off Tackles

My feedback :

ME is fantastic. Way better than the previous version. The dev work is clearly visible. Congratulations to SI, your work on the ME is terrific

And i love the addition of the inverted winger role for the AML/AMR. Winger was too stereotyped (running straight forward to cross) and inside forward played too much like a forward not involved in the build-up phases.

To me and after reading a lot a posts i think theres only one major issue that need to be addressed as soon as possible :

1vs1, long ball over the top, overpowered dribbling/lack of aggressiveness when a player is dribbling : i merge all of that because i think its the same problem : defensive behavior

All of these problems have the same cause : Defenders just don't know how to react in some situations. And i think its the side effect of the final third movement overhaul of this version.

Remember last year when the community complains about lack of central play and lack of involvement of the CF ? Those are solved in fm20 but it has side effect on the defense.

IMO long balls over the top are fine. It seems to me that every single CF IRL make constant movement to disrupt the defense and always try to call for the ball behind the defense. The're only a few CF (like benzema)  who call for the ball in their feet like a "support" player. The problem is that normally 70 to 90% of the time, the defenders anticipate the trough ball and intercepts the pass. And if the CF manage to get the ball, CB put great pressure on him, tracking back like crazy, preventing him to make a simple pass or running with the ball. They bring a lot of physicality,tackle with urgency and leave no space for him to  do whatever he wants.

To me everything will be solved by improving the awareness and the aggressiveness of the defenders.

Defenders more aware = decreasing of successful long balls over the top.

Less long balls = less 1vs1

Defenders more aggressive = less runs without pressure. Get rid of the 50 yard runs and of the defenders just running aside the attacker doing nothing letting him shoot easily.

BUT i wonder if that problem if not a consequence of the tweaking regarding penalties. I think that SI lower the tendency to tackle of the defenders to avoid too much penalties. Another side effect...

Just a word to say that i think it can be better for SI to release a game every two year. Tweaking the ME is so complex, needs so much testing that i think 1 year is not enough. Maybe a big update in october and then a new realse the next year...

And i think SI needs to communicate a lot more on the WIP. But on closed thread. Just a post, no responses allowed, no discussions. I would love to have some sort of blog or dev log to follow the SI work. Like Ubi did with Anno Union. 

We're very close to a fantastic ME, so please SI fix it before Xmas. It would be a amazing gift.

Edited by chris31k

9 minutes ago, bitzu_rock said:

Ok...so in my opinion if CDs are on defend + short passing style + control passing ...they should still play short passes at least 80-90 % even without the individual instructions to play short....but instead they play long balls like 97 %....weird, right?

Do you check your player passing analysis tool after a match? That's a better indication of how many passes are long or short than just the highlights, particularly if you're only watching key or extended highlights. Maybe try watching a full match and click on one of your CD's so his name is highlighted throughout the match and just concentrate on him (maybe set up a friendly for this) - Use the 2D engine as you'll be able to see the player all game. The tools are all there to check these things properly. and if you still feel it's an issue and you haven't done so already, report it with a pkm - it's so much easier to do this than it used to be. 

11 minutes ago, roykela said:

Pretty much what you say in the bolded part.
That's also why you see a personalised instruction on my CM on support.
The tendency was that that particular position and role/duty was happy taking a few too many long shots.
Some players in that position more than others. That's why i told that player to take fewer long shots.
All of a sudden we weren't finishing our attacks prematurely.

I think that must be emphasized.
They aren't do-this-only instructions. They, as you say, are tendencies. Do more of that. Do less of that. Players will never, ever play the ball short/long all the time just because i've told them to keep it short/long.

Just think of real life instructions. "I've told you not to do that. Why do you keep on doing it?".
In one game, when i was a coach, i had a player that sent a player on the opposite team to hospital with a crunching tackle.
I told the player to cool it a bit. Player went on to send another player, in the same game, to hospital with another crunching tackle.
I took the player off. Partly because of not following instructions. Partly because the player put our entire team's chances of winning in jeopardy due to the risk of a red card.
It was a tendency, in spite of my instructions, that i couldn't have in that match.

FM-wise it would have been:
TI=Get Stuck In.
PI=Ease Off Tackles

Ok..got that...but why is then different than on FM19 where i used same tactic ? Or is this considered an improving ?

20 minutes ago, Neil Brock said:

We can't take steps forward without taking risks.

To add to this point, it seems to me that with how much changing one line of code can have knock-on effects on many different parts of the match engine or uncover a problem that was previously avoided, it will always be a case of "2 steps forward, one step back" (or perhaps 50 steps forward, 30 steps back) and some of those steps will be bigger than others. FM20's ME has improvements in several areas over FM19's ME despite the issues that have become more prominent, and even within FM20 the original issues of constant switches of play from flank to flank, and wingers shooting from the byline were addressed – unfortunately it just meant in doing so a spotlight was shone on the other problems.

Maybe we can call it Newton's Third Law of Match Engine Coding ;)

21 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

Google seems to have blocked access for FM on YouTube (for uploading videos), anyone else having this happen? 

No, all working here (and the first two suggested videos were FM20 content).

I always find it weird that people say “they don’t want to exploit the match engine,” just “tactics,” because, either way, that’s what you’re doing. It might not be in a way that you deem “cheating,” but you’re still exploiting a weakness. 

20 minutes ago, bitzu_rock said:

Ok..got that...but why is then different than on FM19 where i used same tactic ? Or is this considered an improving ?

While having a basic tactic for all FMs, it is also wise to treat each FM as a different game, because it essentially is.
There will have been a lot of changes under the hood between each iteration.
Through the years i have changed my tactics so many times due to having to adapt to the new game.
Even formation-wise. Started off with 4-4-2 and have been through too many formations to mention.

It is, from my point of view, a big improvement. As i find it easier and easier to get my team to play the way i want it to. That's not saying it works all the time with every player and every team.
I still have to adjust there.

There will always be differences from FM to FM. In certain setups i'd like to think that you will notice more of the changes than in other setups. Depending on what they've changed/improved/updated.
My style might not be "using" those aspects, so to speak, as much as they might with your style. Thus i won't notice too much of it.
I still have to tweak and adjust a bit, as things have changed from FM19.
This year i'm using less TIs than i did in FM19 in order to acheive what i want from my team. But that will probably change depending on the team i'm managing and the players i have at my disposal.

FM20 is a new game. It is different from FM19. Maybe not much by looking at what it looks like for us, but many things have changed underneath.
My suggestion is to treat it as such.

As mentioned before; i do know there are issues with those long balls, 1v1s etc. Hopefully they'll be able to fix those sooner rather than later.
I don't have those issues (yet) but i can't say there are no issues just because i don't see them in my game. It goes the other way around as well, of course.

And to mention issues i see:
- Players are way too happy clearing the ball out for a corner, in spite of being under no pressure.
- 3D presentation of fouls leading to penalties should be better. Many of them are clearly clean tackles. Makes it hard to see when it's just a mistake by the ref and when it isn't.
- Custom Views.
- Although happening a lot less than before; sliding two-footed challenges are fine while a little nudge can be a red card (3D-issue).

Those are some of the stuff i regard as issues that i see too often in my game.

Edited by roykela

Just went on to play a game, had about seven one-on-one situations, none of them resulted in a goal. The game ended 1-1 with a freekick and a screamer as the goals.

I just cannot enjoy this game, it's at the point where i'm not even excited about one-on-ones, ridiculous how we can't just revert back to FM 2019's match engine. This one is abysmal.

2 minutes ago, bahrami said:

Just went on to play a game, had about seven one-on-one situations, none of them resulted in a goal. The game ended 1-1 with a freekick and a screamer as the goals.

I just cannot enjoy this game, it's at the point where i'm not even excited about one-on-ones, ridiculous how we can't just revert back to FM 2019's match engine. This one is abysmal.

And yet, here we are, a month after release, and you still haven't reported any bugs in the game. If you want it to improve, give them examples. 

I think that the issue with over the top balls is caused by CBs turning towards ball when it's kicked and forgetting about strikers. For exmaple, here CB turns towards the flying ball wasting time when he sees striker running at him. At this frame he is positioned fairly okay and he just need to go with the striker. He sees the ball, he sees the striker running, there is absolutely no reason, in my opinion, for him to to this - change position to facing towards striker/flying ball.

Just now, bahrami said:

This is a feedback thread, isn't it? Haven't all the issues I've referred to already been stated already? They have.

So what's the point of you stating them again? The only thing that helps SI improve the game is bug reports if you think a section of it isn't working properly. 

55 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

Google seems to have blocked access for FM on YouTube (for uploading videos), anyone else having this happen? 

I had the same problem last week, but I haven't tried again. I got around that by uploading the video file that was created in ..\Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2020\uploads.

4 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

So what's the point of you stating them again? The only thing that helps SI improve the game is bug reports if you think a section of it isn't working properly. 

Because I'm showing that the issues are affecting us, the regulars, in numbers. The more people who complain, the more they will understand that they are driving us away from the game.

I've already stated that I won't be buying FM20 unless these issues are fully corrected and I'm sure many more will follow. The problems with the match engine are inexcusable. 

Edited by bahrami

1 minute ago, bahrami said:

Because I'm showing that the issues are affecting us, the regulars, in numbers. The more people who complain, the more they will understand that they are driving us away from the game.

That's not how it works, sir. 

SI need proof, not rants on a feedback thread. It takes five minutes to log a bug report and upload a pkm now. It used to be a laborious process, but it's really simple now. 

2 minutes ago, Dagenham_Dave said:

That's not how it works, sir. 

SI need proof, not rants on a feedback thread. It takes five minutes to log a bug report and upload a pkm now. It used to be a laborious process, but it's really simple now. 

This is a feedback thread, and I'm backing up everything that has already been said. When you ask me to send proof for these errors, it's basically you trying to say they don't exist until I showcase it, which is a terrible stance to take.

I have two questions for you David, first of all, do you own Football Manager 2020? And second, what are your thoughts on the match engine this year?

Edited by bahrami