Football Manager 2020 Feedback Thread

• Replies 8.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On the scouting screen is there a way to only show players who have ‘thrives in big matches’

EG if I want to find a backup player like Liverpool’s Origi who plays well in big games how would I go about doing that?

48 minutes ago, fidelitywars said:

Not for me and whilst I have other frustrations with the ME, this is the issue that's made me stop playing FM20.

Personally speaking, I want the 'quality' elements of my team to perform well and typically, be my main match-winners; for me, these elements are my midfield playmaker(s), whose stats look superficially good but are massively padded by set-piece assists, and my striker(s)...who I just can't get to contribute with any level of consistency. My games fluctuate between goalless draws with boatloads of missed chances and 5-0 drubbings; i'd say that the performances in both scenarios are similar with finishing pretty much the sole discepancy. It's maddening; just looking for the engine to allow my strikers to finish the opportunites my creative midfielders provide but the fact that they don't makes the game soporifically tedious - all my goals come from set-pieces and since the last patch, cutbacks for onrushing fullbacks (both of whom have a low finishing attribute but this doesn't seem to matter, just as my forwards' high finishing/composure/decisions attributes don't).

Exactly the same thing happened last year when we wanted more through balls in final third, those short ones around the box. While I agree there weren't any (are they now?), the main reason was lack of movement upfront. Practically a little movement was all it was needed to improve 20.1.4. But I must say I'm a little surprised how devs meesed up short pass into space around the box with defense splitting over the top pass from deeper positions. Especially if it now produces far too many 1on1 situations, it shouldn't be released in such state.. 

Edited by Mitja

1 hour ago, duesouth said:

Things to Tweak?

I'm still seeing too many offside goals - I'll keep an eye on that tonight and pkm any games with 2 or more.

I'm noticing a lot of "silly" offsides in general. Can't say I've looked into it too much, it could be a smart offside trap, but I see a fair bit of a throw-in to a player, player makes a pass to a player who's obviously offside & the call is made 

Edited by Johnny Ace

6 minutes ago, Johnny Ace said:

I'm noticing a lot of "silly" offsides in general. Can't say I've looked into it too much, it could be a smart offside trap, but I see a fair bit of a throw-in to a player, player makes a pass to a player who's obviously offside & the call is made 

That is something that has been in FM as long as I can remember. But yeah, it's silly.

17 minutes ago, Mitja said:

Exactly the same thing happened last year when we wanted more through balls in final third, those short ones around the box. While I agree there weren't any (are they now?), the main reason was lack of movement upfront. Practically a little movement was all it was needed to improve 20.1.4. But I must say I'm a little surprised how devs meesed up short pass into space around the box with defense splitting over the top pass from deeper positions. Especially if it now produces far too many 1on1 situations, it shouldn't be released in such state.. 

Not from what i've seen; creativity in the final third remains almost non-existent. The only types of goals i've really seen are:

• Ball over the top from deep
  • Cross
  • Cutback to onrushing player (often a full-back)
  • Ridiculous opposition mistake
  • Individual dribble
  • Set piece - this one is seems hugely, hugely overpowered

Just as with FM19, there's a real lack of quality players linking up and forcing an opening with clever passing in the final third. Stirkers move better than in FM19 but their finishing is dire and the balls that release them pretty much always come from deeper.

12 hours ago, Johnny Ace said:

I think the main problem with these one-on-ones isn't the fact that so many are missed it's that so many are created, no game has 8+ clear shots at goal, it's the fact these chances shouldn't be created in the first place 

Exactly like in FM19. Too many crosses, let's block them. Too many 1vs1s? Let's make the strikers miss them.

2 hours ago, Tiger666 said:

Not sure if this is a bug I need to report or something I'm doing wrong. This is my set piece routine for free kicks:

Untitled-0.thumb.jpg.693c00822ae6a06444fe63e6c1fb0d25.jpg

I've set all four defenders to stay back. So why have my two central defenders gone forward for this?

Untitled-1.thumb.jpg.a3cd05c0b9b647358a992dc2ff42e6c6.jpg

They countered and got a clear shot on goal from it.

Could it be because of the following:

Your setup shows Direct free-kicks.
The game might be interpreting that as an Indirect wide free-kick?
If so the game will be using the Indirect wide free-kick setup.

Edited by roykela

4 minutes ago, fidelitywars said:

Not from what i've seen; creativity in the final third remains almost non-existent. The only types of goals i've really seen are:

• Ball over the top from deep
  • Cross
  • Cutback to onrushing player (often a full-back)
  • Ridiculous opposition mistake
  • Individual dribble
  • Set piece - this one is seems hugely, hugely overpowered

Just as with FM19, there's a real lack of quality players linking up and forcing an opening with clever passing in the final third. Stirkers move better than in FM19 but their finishing is dire and the balls that release them pretty much always come from deeper.

Only? That's 6 types of different goals.

Just now, ChrisCo said:

Only? That's 6 types of different goals.

Maybe I should have been clearer - only 3 seem to happen with any real frequency: ball over the top, cutback to onrushing player and the eternal, unremitting set-piece. As such, my feedback is that I find the game astonishingly boring.

Anyone else noticing an issue that assistant doesn't actually apply any opposition instructions in a match even if they are set to do it as a backroom responsibility?

I have to manually each game go to opposition instructions, click ask assistant and then apply. I assume this isn't working as intended.

11 minutes ago, fidelitywars said:

Maybe I should have been clearer - only 3 seem to happen with any real frequency: ball over the top, cutback to onrushing player and the eternal, unremitting set-piece. As such, my feedback is that I find the game astonishingly boring.

Ah OK. I do think the indirect free-kick scoring rate is a tad high.

14 minutes ago, CaptainPlanet said:

Anyone else noticing an issue that assistant doesn't actually apply any opposition instructions in a match even if they are set to do it as a backroom responsibility?

I have to manually each game go to opposition instructions, click ask assistant and then apply. I assume this isn't working as intended.

Could it be linked to this?

51 minutes ago, Vali184 said:

Exactly like in FM19. Too many crosses, let's block them. Too many 1vs1s? Let's make the strikers miss them.

I believe that to be true, because the ME has been flawed for a few years the only way to keep the score lower is to have wayward shooting

5 minutes ago, Tony Wright 747 said:

I believe that to be true, because the ME has been flawed for a few years the only way to keep the score lower is to have wayward shooting

I see lots of quality play upfront but players rarely score from those unfortunatly. There's much bigger chance of scoring first-time shot from 20 meters than after cutting in. There are so many first time shooting goals from all angles. And too many set-pieces goals. Compensate those with more open play goals.

26 минут назад, Johnny Ace сказал:

Anyone tried making a a 2nd tactic in the tactic screen? Create new tactic, create own, just craps out & puts me back on slot one  

yes it resets if your squad is empty as I noticed

1 hour ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Can we please stop passing idle speculation as fact, thanks

1 hour ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Can we please stop passing idle speculation as fact, thanks

The clue is in the two words "I believe" that means that it is my opinion, that is what most people post on this thread, their opinion, that is what a forum is, it's in the definition

1 hour ago, Tony Wright 747 said:

1 minute ago, Tony Wright 747 said:

The clue is in the two words "I believe" that means that it is my opinion, that is what most people post on this thread, their opinion, that is what a forum is, it's in the definition

It's more about the bolded part, i believe.
You believe something is true (opinion) because.....(presented as fact).

That is my guess.

Untitled.thumb.png.99bc4236436cab38510bbab502e6caf0.png

8 of 31 shots ballooned over the bar, these aren't long range efforts either 

On another matter, following @Svenc's stats, I thought I'd focus on creating less low quality shots & more quality, quality over quantity sort of thing

It's only been two games, playing Standard, Lower tempo, one Attack duty, so far I'm on 26 & 28 shots. This might be one for the tactic boards  

Untitled.thumb.png.66584ad81c25d1f07dfc7744d6092a3b.png

Just played a match where my defense mopped up several long balls which the opponent tried to exploit behind my defense. They only created 1 half chance and 0 CCC whole match so yes it is possible to defend long balls even on higher mentalities and adventures formation if your setup is right. Here was my set-up:

- 'Positive' mentality with '4-2-4 extremely wide width formation'

- 'Standard defensive line' 

- 'Standard line of engagement'

- 'Regroup'

- 'Hold shape'

- 'More urgent' pressing intensity

- 'Standard defensive width'

I won 3-0

Edited by pats

This is gettting a little ridiculous. Werner had in just 50 minutes of the game 4 clear cut chances. All 4 were with 1 on 1 with the keeper from the centre and he scored 0 goals. ZERO! Later Poulsen had also a 1 on 1 situation and of course he missed.

What is more frustrating is that how I and AI scored goals in this game. AI players first scored from a distance where he nearly tore up the net. Than my player scored where he also nearly tore up the net from distance (he is a fullback and has 8 longshot) and in last minute, a goal from set piece of course.

RB Leipzig v 1. FC Köln.pkm

Patch has improved forward passing but its way too much now.

Players hoof it forward despite balanced mentality and short passing setting .

I created chances at a ridiculous rate but this is offset by poor finishing, it needs to be reigned in again, the games are erratic and out of control 

1 hour ago, roykela said:

It's more about the bolded part, i believe.
You believe something is true (opinion) because.....(presented as fact).

That is my guess.

Yes I see your point, it could read like that, but anything I post on these forums are my opinion or ideas, not fact because I don't make the game, but are only things as I see them

20 hours ago, Kazza said:

Still toying with the demo 20.1.4. Is it awaiting the update? Cheers

This is the 3rd time I have asked. I am showing 20.1.4.

Someone must be able to respond - is this demo going to get that upgrade!!!!!!

You need a question mark at the end of your last shouty bit 👍

15 minutes ago, thejay said:

Players hoof it forward despite balanced mentality and short passing setting .

So like fm19? Jesus. Too many crosses? How does it compare to the new one, 20.1.4 was by far best version ever for me. 

Edited by Mitja

3 minutes ago, Mitja said:

So like fm19? Jesus. Too many crosses? How does it compare to the new one, 20.1.4 was by far best version ever for me. 

I have noticed an upturn in crosses in this ME; not excessive like in FM19 but definitely an increase. I play a system designed to discourage crosses and prior to the patch, was only seeing a couple of players attempting crosses in most matches but now half of my team end the match having attempted at least 1.

8 minutes ago, Mitja said:

So like fm19? Jesus. Too many crosses?

No. Not at all. It's purely tactical I can confirm. Also, they will only hoof it if they don't have options/ability/composure/lack of tactical familiarity and many more factors.

Also, you don't need to panic every time someone makes a negative comment. You simply can't judge the ME based on one or two matches.

Edited by pats

3 minutes ago, ferrarinseb said:

I don't know i was casually checking the steam db site and checked that it was on release. Unfortunately i was not with my PC so i can't tell :( 

Appaerently 318mb update. 

vor 9 Minuten schrieb Mitja:

No crosses but players play foreward immediately in lots of situations despite being told not to( support role, balanced Mentality, short passing, low Tempo, options available). 

Player do play more  through balls but also in situations they should not 

3 hours ago, Mitja said:

I see lots of quality play upfront but players rarely score from those unfortunatly. There's much bigger chance of scoring first-time shot from 20 meters than after cutting in. There are so many first time shooting goals from all angles. And too many set-pieces goals. Compensate those with more open play goals.

This, this is 100% my biggest gripe. Beautiful play is often rewarded with a horrible finish which just makes you frustrated. 

But your fullback longshots 1 finishing 3 dribbling 2 from his own half dribbling round 6 and finishing from 35 yards... Happens way too often. 

Or just ya nod it in from a set piece. Or more than likely scramble it in. 

It's less fun than it should be. 

2 hours ago, Johnny Ace said:

Untitled.thumb.png.99bc4236436cab38510bbab502e6caf0.png

8 of 31 shots ballooned over the bar, these aren't long range efforts either 

On another matter, following @Svenc's stats, I thought I'd focus on creating less low quality shots & more quality, quality over quantity sort of thing

It's only been two games, playing Standard, Lower tempo, one Attack duty, so far I'm on 26 & 28 shots. This might be one for the tactic boards  

Untitled.thumb.png.66584ad81c25d1f07dfc7744d6092a3b.png

That's quite a few of Corners. May be one for the tactics Forum.  If not at all happy with the scoreline, it may also be one for the "this is getting ridiculous thread". :D 

Everybody's talkign About 1vs1s, and in Terms of frequency for good reason (not sure About conversion yet, given that some of those should be more like 1 in 4-5 chances).  Let's not Forget About the set pieces and set piece attempts whilst doing so. I challenge the Notion and will continue to do so that a side which would create like 70%+ of ist attempts within the box purely from the set piece would be "dominating" an Opposition.