How are you getting on with Scouting?

2 minutes ago, amberhelix said:

Have I got this right? So as a big rich club (Liverpool in my case), in recent versions of FM I would have ~25 scouts employed. All with top stats and 100% knowledge of their respective countries. I would have them constantly scouting their own nation and competitions within that nation all year round. All this in the hope that they would reveal the best talents. But now... I can pick the 'world' package for both senior and youth and everyone is revealed to me instantly. I still need to get additional scouting on players I'm interested in, I get that, but do I need to have worldwide scouts anymore? If the package I pay for reveals the best Spanish youth players - do I still benefit from having a Spanish scout or can Joe Bloggs do it? Why would I need more than a handful of scouts now?

the scouts on previous versions did not find any players outside of the 'database' as it were, so any players they brought to you from around the world were already available to view in the player search. It is exactly the same principle on this FM but with a slight tweak.

Now you have to pay to have these players available on your player search. For example if you have the top package (world package) and send one of your scouts to a nation, let's say Mexico. They won't discover anyone that you couldn't have found yourself by sifting through the Mexican clubs manually or using the player search. They just do the hard work for you and bring to your attention potential signings which saves you the time of going through every Mexican player, keeping an eye on the Mexican leagues and scouting players that you don't really know anything about.

Of couse, this all depends if you enable or disable attribute masking. If you disable it, then scouting really is of no use to you whatsoever attribute wise, scouting will only be useful in finding out other details about a player like injury risk, personality etc. 

Personally I have never really understood whether Joe Bloggs or the scout with all the knowledge is better for scouting in a certain country. I imagine that paying for the scout with the knowledge means quicker and more efficient scouting. Perhaps the more knowledge you have of that nation the more attributes you will be able to see of the players from that nation and other qualities like preferred position by default meaning scouting that nation will take less time..

I do know that Scouting knowledge improves your youth intake, for example if you have a scout from let's say Russia on your scouting team then you are more likely to see a Russian come thorough your youth academy at the next youth intake. A cool feature which I've really enjoyed over the last few FM's.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, joepippmg said:

the scouts on previous versions did not find any players outside of the 'database' as it were, so any players they brought to you from around the world were already available to view in the player search. It is exactly the same principle on this FM but with a slight tweak.

In previous versions the player search 'total number of players' was not the full database figure in my experience but I may be wrong. I always thought that increasing your world knowledge was increasing the total available to view, it definitely works this way for staff (if not players) even in 18. The only reason this has now struck me is that I noticed that upon selecting the full 'world' packages, the entire database number of players is there and I've never seen it that high before.

10 hours ago, amberhelix said:

In previous versions the player search 'total number of players' was not the full database figure in my experience but I may be wrong. I always thought that increasing your world knowledge was increasing the total available to view, it definitely works this way for staff (if not players) even in 18. The only reason this has now struck me is that I noticed that upon selecting the full 'world' packages, the entire database number of players is there and I've never seen it that high before.

ah man , you are probably right to be honest, i always thought if you unticked the boxes 'interested in transfer/interested in loan' it just showed every person on the database. if you are right then what is the point of scouting knowledge on FM18 apart from youth intake, there are so many unanswered questions this year, so many little changes, it's not a complete mess, but a mess nonetheless. 

Amberhelix is definitely right about how it used to be. Only the search bar at the top accessed full (in-save) db.

I don't understand how changing your package has an immediate effect on, what we have traditionally considered to be, the players your scouts have 'heard of'. I also don't know how 3P scouting packages work IRL though.

I think you've got a really good point here Amberhelix, I hope one of the devs at SI pick up on your post.

• The most important issue for me are the hidden charges in scouting, for LLM this is absolutely crucial. I have already had to quit my save after racking up a bill I wasn't even aware of. If I have a certain package....then I should be able to scout the players in that package free of charge....it's a package right. 

• Another issue is that I can decrease my scouting budget, but I can't increase it from my transfer budget, what is that all about. Surely I should be able to do both.

• The scouting inbox is a mess also. There are too many terrible players offering themselves to my club and the only way to stop this is to let my Chief Scout or DoF deal with it all. Well tbh I like to run the club from top to bottom and I don't want my staff members deciding which players I want or don't want. We should be able to have a filter on this so only players with certain qualities can come into your inbox. If you are looking for a tall target man, then more tall target men offer themselves to your club. I would much prefer this than the monotonous amount of 18 y.o and 35 y.o whose stats I can't even see. 

In any case, it's probably too late now, because the game is out tomorrow, I really hope SI have made some changes to the system and made it more user friendly! good luck with all your careers.

If there are issues (I haven't read through the last page or so), please report it in the bugs forum, ideally with a save that re-produces or shows the issue. That's where devs/testers will take a look into issues.

1 hour ago, Per Annum said:

Amberhelix is definitely right about how it used to be. Only the search bar at the top accessed full (in-save) db.

I don't understand how changing your package has an immediate effect on, what we have traditionally considered to be, the players your scouts have 'heard of'. I also don't know how 3P scouting packages work IRL though.

Think of it like the 3rd party has a worldwide database of a high % of players but they restrict your access to it depending on how much you pay them.

29 minutes ago, Cougar2010 said:

Think of it like the 3rd party has a worldwide database of a high % of players but they restrict your access to it depending on how much you pay them.

But our scouts (in our employ) would still have a brain-memory of some players and be able to scout them.

I guess the issue is to stop thinking player search as 'players our scouts know about' and rather 'players within scouting package'

In 17, the only way to show the entire database of players was to 'unhide' players using an editor option. Your scouts would not find every single player, despite how good they were. For example, I found a mexican 15 year old who had a maximum 200 potential. He probably would have been the best player in the game. But he wasn't discovered by my central/south american scouts. I only found him by 'cheating' if you like. I guess they would have found him given enough time, but I never found out.

It will be interesting to see how 18 compares in this respect.

Scouts don't reveal attributes from free players in llm.

What do you do? Hmm, Spend 4 months scouting a player or.. offer trials, yes 1000 players on 4 week trials to see their attributes, which are all revealed within a week this way.   not that they are any good. 

Yes, squad of 15 players + 1000 of trial, that is a busy training ground.

Come on SI... 4 months in my 2 scouts at Nuneaton town has found me 1 player willing to join us. Only order I gave them was to look for players in England. 

6 minutes ago, Juhuli said:

Scouts don't reveal attributes from free players in llm.

What do you do? Hmm, Spend 4 months scouting a player or.. offer trials, yes 1000 players on 4 week trials to see their attributes, which are all revealed within a week this way.   not that they are any good. 

Yes, squad of 15 players + 1000 of trial, that is a busy training ground.

Come on SI... 4 months in my 2 scouts at Nuneaton town has found me 1 player willing to join us. Only order I gave them was to look for players in England. 

I raised the same point the other day, we are now forced to use trials and the result is more unrealistic than that which existed before the scouting 'realism' improvements.

I won't stand for the 'just don't do it then' excuse which carries no weight, so either trials need to cost the club some money (or more than they do already - could maybe have ultra-keen players waive costs), the board to stop after a certain number saying its too many (maybe giving notice about 5 trials before limit), or for players to start saying 'what's the point you've already trialled 30 players' (they should also be refusing to be the 100th loan per window but SI ignore me on that despite a few years of feature requests).

20 hours ago, joepippmg said:

I am not entirely sure, I dont think this changes anything. I imagine this determines who delivers you an update on the assignments that you set for your scout but I haven't played around with this feature. I am managing a Serie C side and I can't even afford a Head Scout so I can't tell you tbh :lol:

In any case, I was outlaying a way to reduce the tiresome process of going through every player in your scouting inbox. hope it was of some help. 

Your post was really good and took a few doubts away

Has anyone since the beta patch been having a face picture glitch on the "scouting report" screen where you click through all the players?

The photo doesn't show up unless I somehow interact with that player's name or page. It really throws me off, especially with the Analyst Reports because they don't give all the info

1 minute ago, puffascruffowitz said:

Has anyone since the beta patch been having a face picture glitch on the "scouting report" screen where you click through all the players?

The photo doesn't show up unless I somehow interact with that player's name or page. It really throws me off, especially with the Analyst Reports because they don't give all the info

yes mate, its a known issue and is under review

4 minutes ago, knap said:

Do you know cost with package?

I am puzzled that the existing scout at a LL club has only 1 Scout report, what did he do the year before while at Club?

i assigned the scout to that player. just to find out the cost. each player you scout seems to cost about £800 from 0-100% knowledge. I also ran a test with a package. scouted 1 player and payed for the £850pcm package. the expenditure that month came in at over £1500. This was the cost of the package and scouting 1 player only.

On ‎07‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 13:57, grasu said:

Let's take an example. I started a game with a mid-tier club and sent 1 scout to exclusively scout Portugal. A small country by almost any measure and the scout had decent attributes (14/14, 100% knowledge of Portugal). I gave him VERY loose criteria for scouting: decent first team player, under the age of 30 and under 2.5 million. Results? 4 reports in 3 months. There is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY that, in real life, a scout would return after 3 months of scouting the Portuguese leagues with 4 ****ing players suited for a mid-tier Eastern European club.

On the other hand, the scouting suggestions are also equally as ludicrous. There's 2 types of players that I'm getting as a suggestion: 35+ year olds or 19 year olds. I've tested this with clubs from various divisions and with different reputations and this still happens WAY too often. I keep telling my dumbass chief scout to disregard these players yet he keeps coming up with MORE 35 year olds to suggest. I am bombarded with dozens of messages about useless players yet my scouting department can't name more than 5 players playing in my domestic league? On what planet is this realistic?

Just a guess as there is a lot of complexity here (not an expert personally) but I wonder if the 14 for judging player potential and ability (you said "the scout had decent attributes 14/14") is not quite high enough for more accurate results compared to a 16+ rating for both?

I hate to come back whining on this thread but I'm now in January on 2 saves and scouting is virtually broken. My 5 scouts have a grand total of 27 players between them, 7 of which they've scouted on my request. This is on top of the same issues that were present in previous versions of the game such as getting reports of extremely expensive players (despite clear instructions to the contrary), players that don't want to join, absurd wages, etc. 

This effectively breaks the game for me. I'm buying players BLINDLY or using my previous knowledge of football/players. This is absurd and I wonder if anybody bothered to even test this garbage before releasing it on the market.

1 hour ago, grasu said:

I hate to come back whining on this thread but I'm now in January on 2 saves and scouting is virtually broken. My 5 scouts have a grand total of 27 players between them, 7 of which they've scouted on my request. This is on top of the same issues that were present in previous versions of the game such as getting reports of extremely expensive players (despite clear instructions to the contrary), players that don't want to join, absurd wages, etc. 

This effectively breaks the game for me. I'm buying players BLINDLY or using my previous knowledge of football/players. This is absurd and I wonder if anybody bothered to even test this garbage before releasing it on the market.

add to that the stupidly high costs to scout a player to full knowledge and the UI for the player search. One of the biggest features of the game (Scouting and Player Searching) is probably the worst it has been in a long time

Packages ar so poorly implemented. They don't appear to be the same in-game as they are irl. Clubs irl pay for these packages that allow their own staff to create comprehensive reports on players ( stats / personality / video packages / potential etc etc ) sitting in their office.

Players being scouted that are included in the package you're paying for should have no cost. 

Imo packages could maybe be more extensive (with negligible scouting costs associated with anyone on the list) then there'd be a clear choice between choosing to buy a package or just going with traditional methods. 

Three whole system is smoother aspect of the game that SI really need to just take a minute or 2 and explain how systems work either in the forums or in blog posts. 

Even at a big club by Christmas my scouting expenditure was 1.2 million 300k of which was package costs and my scouts were just under control of the head scout with a request just to find intelligent young players.

On 10/11/2017 at 18:22, wicksyFM said:

Just wanted to let people know. I ran a test with a non league club. No packages at all. It cost me £880 to scout 1 player from 0-100% knowledge. Scouting  costs are still high on full release

Seriously? 880 is high? If you were a non league club and you asked your scout to go down the road and take a look at one player maybe its fair. However if you asked your scout to go down the road bring a cameraman to record the training sessions for say a month until you gained full knowledge of the player then shouldn't his per diems be paid? Thats meals for him on the road, petrol costs for his vehicle? . Say thats 4 trips in a month? I think its an issue if people take it to full knowledge. 

The debate I feel that is more relevant is : 

If you pay for a scouting package, should all the players in that package be unlocked? Then you get only their attributes fine.

However any assessment of the players personality or confirmation of his traits should be done by an onsite visit, and that should ideally entail a cost since that trip is outside the scope of the scouting package. There are different kinds of scouting packages in the world, some are extremely detailed and some aren't. We can't expect all scouting packages to be detailed.  I have been playing LLM football and I time my scouting. Once its done, its done. I am focused about who my targets are. No more sending scouts out to get detailed reports on players. 

What I am now wondering is what to do with all the scouts I have in top tier clubs. Since I can't scout like I used to in previous versions of FM. What I am more worried about is auto scouting. There shoudl be a please stop scouting or give me more money button

28 minutes ago, Rashidi said:

What I am now wondering is what to do with all the scouts I have in top tier clubs. Since I can't scout like I used to in previous versions of FM. What I am more worried about is auto scouting. There shoudl be a please stop scouting or give me more money button

See this is my issue. 

My head scout runs scouting , I have set the focus to Young / Intelligent / All and I pay for both top packages.

By January my scouting costs are 1.2 million of which around 300k is package costs to date. I have requested maybe 3 players scouted after they were highlighted in my bi-weekly scout meetings. So where are the costs being incurred ? All my scouts are on general focus assignments. I assumed that the players begin recommended at the meetings were/are ones that have been identified from the package and a further cost would of course be needed if I then sent the scout away to watch him play etc. Almost every player brought up at the scout meeting is already at 100% scouted as well for some reason.

Ultimately costs of around 2m per year to Spurs wont hurt me , but it would be an issue at some of the other teams I aim to play in '18 , and it seems like If I can just pay teh package costs at a top club and have access to the entire DB, I can just do attribute searches and do away with scouts completely.

32 minutes ago, Rashidi said:

Seriously? 880 is high? If you were a non league club and you asked your scout to go down the road and take a look at one player maybe its fair. However if you asked your scout to go down the road bring a cameraman to record the training sessions for say a month until you gained full knowledge of the player then shouldn't his per diems be paid? Thats meals for him on the road, petrol costs for his vehicle? . Say thats 4 trips in a month? I think its an issue if people take it to full knowledge. 

The debate I feel that is more relevant is : 

If you pay for a scouting package, should all the players in that package be unlocked? Then you get only their attributes fine.

However any assessment of the players personality or confirmation of his traits should be done by an onsite visit, and that should ideally entail a cost since that trip is outside the scope of the scouting package. There are different kinds of scouting packages in the world, some are extremely detailed and some aren't. We can't expect all scouting packages to be detailed.  I have been playing LLM football and I time my scouting. Once its done, its done. I am focused about who my targets are. No more sending scouts out to get detailed reports on players. 

If that's the case and the scouting costs are correct and we should be more prudent in terms of when we scout then fine I'll adapt how I play the game. But that's not how we've played the game for the last 20 years, so some feedback from SI on how they envisage scouting should work now would be great (whether it's working as intended or indeed a bug to be fixed)

30 minutes ago, Bootador said:

If that's the case and the scouting costs are correct and we should be more prudent in terms of when we scout then fine I'll adapt how I play the game. But that's not how we've played the game for the last 20 years, so some feedback from SI on how they envisage scouting should work now would be great (whether it's working as intended or indeed a bug to be fixed)

It’s not working as intended. SI have acknowledged that it is an issue. It is under review. It seriously winds me up though. I have disabled attribute masking just to play this game because I have no idea when or if it will be fixed. First time I have ever done that. 

So then I booted up my Strasbourg save. I like my reserves to be in a playable league. After the first season the reserves got promoted into the CFA. Except they didn’t. Because their is a promotion bug in France for teams getting promoted into the CFA. That’s my first two planned saves ruined because of bugs

11 hours ago, Bootador said:

Not meaning to be blunt, but is the game even playable with the current scouting issues?

I have no interest in investing time into the game if LLM is broken.

Is this "under review" as in looking to be fixed next patched?

I'm 1.5 years into a LLM career and so far scouting hasn't done me any good. Currently, with around 6 scouts at the club and a European package (which is FAR more than any "true" LL club will have), I get around 6 player suggestions from my scouts per scouting meeting. This is, obviously, without using any filters. My new scouting methods, since my scouts have become useless, are to either manually search for players in the player search screen or (when it comes to free players) to check playing history. I then make an educated guess on whom I want to scout and tell my scouts to take a look.

Scouting free players is useless, even 4 months of scouting one player will not bring you any substantial knowledge about him. Best thing to do currently is to give them trials lasting up to 4 weeks in order to get the most info out of them. 

To be honest though, the soul crushingly difficult scouting has been a 2 edged sword. You can't just waltz in to a lower rep club and rebuild them into world beaters by the second season. You simply won't find the players. On the other hand, if you play in a league with player restrictions like, say, have X amount of players under the age of 21 then you'll be pulling your hair out.

44 minutes ago, davidjr said:

When I scout a player, I don't get his report to my inbox? Any ideas as to why?

You don't get player reports in your inbox anymore in what is, probably, one of the dumbest GUI decisions SI has ever taken. Now you can only get player reports by manually checking the scouting center or through scouting meetings.

On 10/11/2017 at 21:35, grasu said:

You know you can now set it so they only scout players meeting your financial situation in the scouting focus section ?

34 minutes ago, treble_yell_:-) said:

You know you can now set it so they only scout players meeting your financial situation in the scouting focus section ?

In my experience that has never worked. Basically my scouts come back with players that surpass those limits that I set by quite a bit. For a smaller club spending 2-3 million split up over 48 months can be financial chaos so I tend to stay away from those deals. 

Some good replies here.  I'm 1.5 years into my save now, got Ipswich promoted (was a bit of a surprise) - so increased the packages to world level, added another 2 scouts etc.

Now it's better in that I can search for more players, but I agree that the reports are v low in numbers and not really anyone that good is coming through, I have just been manual scouting /using the transfer list.  I have managed to sign a few players though which is better.  However I agree for LLM it must be an utter nightmare.

I also feel like said above it should be that once you have  a package you can attribute-scout players for free, (via video) but then once you want to know about their personality and such you would need to go see them in real life perhaps, or some sort of balance between the two.  Also maybe it should be more linked to the size of your scouting team.

I have two questions concerning using no scouting package

1) Is there a downside to having no scouting package other than the "player search" screen shows less players?
(or does it have an impact on scouting assignments/ or do you scouts only scout players seen in the "player search" screen?)

2) having no scouting description says you'll only be able to see players known by club staff, does this list grow? does the staff get to know new players?

So, with the 18.1.2 patch out, which SI has said the scouting costs have been balanced. I thought i would test this out and let people know whats going on now

Its now costing around £160 to scout 1 player from 0-100% knowledge. It was about £800-900. Big improvement. This was with no package. Similar price with a vanarama package

It cost me on average £142 a month to scout the vanarama North/South division. In three months my scout returned 6 reports. Revealing knowledge between 8-32%

8 minutes ago, wicksyFM said:

So, with the 18.1.2 patch out, which SI has said the scouting costs have been balanced. I thought i would test this out and let people know whats going on now

Its now costing around £160 to scout 1 player from 0-100% knowledge. It was about £800-900. Big improvement. This was with no package. Similar price with a vanarama package

It cost me on average £142 a month to scout the vanarama North/South division. In three months my scout returned 6 reports. Revealing knowledge between 8-32%

Thanks. I came here just to see if there was an answer on what the scouting changes were for the new update.

14 minutes ago, Rober82 said:

Thanks wicksy! Is this inside your scouting range? If so guessing its still 6-900£ outside.

Yeah this was inside my scouting range. If you want to scout someone outside you get a notification telling you how much it will cost 

It's still terrible. 

1. Lag is at it's worst in this area.

2. Scounting until full knowledge with quality scouting pool leading to inaccurate results (double-checking with FMrte).

3. Poor comparison UI of CA / PA with current players in different positions.

2 minutes ago, pablito15 said:

Perhaps I should've said unreasonably inaccurate. I'm not after 100% accuracy just a reasonable scout quality to player quality assessment. 

So whats the attributes of the scout and what did he come back with?

Archived