Manchester United Thread 2015/16

Harryseaess

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Likening Martial to Bebe ffs, just because you haven't heard of him doesn't mean he's rubbish. He's quite highly rated (okay not €80million worth, but still) around Europe and has played at good level last season.

It's not like we've scouted him from the homeless World Cup ala Bebe :D

How many had heard of Ronaldo before we bought him?

Seeing as how many will have watched the pre-season game against Sporting... :brock:

Seen on twitter that someone is on something claiming Mendes is advising De Gea to sign a new contract. I'll take that second hand info about a person I know nothing about on a thing I know nothing about and decide it's true and happening :thup:

That's how we are going to look until at least January. Has the overall window been a success or failure? Has it been good enough? Can that squad possibly challenge for the title?

(Not read beyond this post yet, but will)

The opening to the transfer window was great. We quickly sorted out some problem areas, in defence, midfield and attack/wing through Darmian, Schneiderlin, Schweinsteiger and Depay. After that it's more questionable. Martial will hopefully prove to be a good player, although it will take quite something to truly be worthy of that lofty price. He's a complete unknown to me, so will have to judge him over the coming season. Obviously keeping DDG is a huge plus, if he gets his head down and plays well (and LVG picks him).

The main concerns for me are that we look pretty lightweight in attack and defence, very vulnerable to injuries. Sending Januzaj out on loan, especially if the murmurs of some type of buy clause/agreement is true, is a big blotch. It simply doesn't make sense to ship out one of our most talented attackers when we are already light in attack. Getting rid of RVP I can see the sense in as he was a shadow of himself last season, but selling Hernandez on top seems too much from our perspective, though I can understand if Chicha wanted to leave. He's too good to just warm a bench.

Overall, with the dust settled, I'd probably rate it as 7-8/10 or something like that, so actually pretty good. We're in a better place now than 12 months ago. Unlike recent years, midfield is perhaps our strongest area now.

Don't think we're dangerous enough in attack to pose a serious title challenge, which is disappointing, but then there is a lack of quality strikers moving about right now. We did show signs last season at times, so I hope we start ticking more this season. It looks like LVG so far has focused mostly on defensive solidity, building from the back (despite his reputation, a classic SAF trick when results went against him, 1-0, 1-0, 1-0...). Swansea aside, we have looked more solid at the back, so I hope we start looking more dangerous up front as well as the season progresses. We look a bit short on quality and numbers, but I hope Martial can be a positive surprise already this season. Obviously a buy with the future in mind, but here's hoping :thup:

And that's when the world collectively stopped taking any note of your posts.

It was either this or the Martial paragraph, can choose for yourself, really

For me it was that we should have released Young on a free, but Schneiderlin was the last nail. Didn't get to Martial :D

actually looking at the martial deal, it doesn't even seem that bad considering how highly rated he seems to be?

£22m up front + £3.5m a year for the next four years, then a load of speculative non-guaranteed bonuses which if he meets them will probably make him worth the money, only agreed to by monaco because they're so certain of his potential. €80m!!!!!

plus cantona supposedly said he'll be worth €100m in three years anyway rBvyUKL.gif

I've been reading some articles about Martial and it appears that he relies to much on talent alone.

This leads me to make a comparison between Kluivert and Martial. Kluivert had so much talent, that he relied solely on it and never put in the extra work to be even better than he was. Basicly, at the age of 27 Kluivert was done.

However the best years of Kluivert were his Barcelona years under Van Gaal. LVG has the ability to get the best out of talented players (or the worst). Its kind of a hit and miss thing with LVG. He either loves you and defends you no matter what, or he drops you like you dont even matter (mostly south americans haha).

Seeing a resemblance in mentality between Kluivert and Martial, I expect LVG to bond with him and get the most out him.

So the current squad is good enough to win the league and champions league? How many of the current squad would get into Man City or Chelsea's team? Probably only De Gea ahead of Hart.

What sort of football do you want to see? Slow, sideways and backwards or quick, dynamic, incisive?

I may have been a bit harsh on Martial in comparing him to Bebe. We'll see in time how he turns out.

I've been reading some articles about Martial and it appears that he relies to much on talent alone.

This leads me to make a comparison between Kluivert and Martial. Kluivert had so much talent, that he relied solely on it and never put in the extra work to be even better than he was. Basicly, at the age of 27 Kluivert was done.

However the best years of Kluivert were his Barcelona years under Van Gaal. LVG has the ability to get the best out of talented players (or the worst). Its kind of a hit and miss thing with LVG. He either loves you and defends you no matter what, or he drops you like you dont even matter (mostly south americans haha).

Seeing a resemblance in mentality between Kluivert and Martial, I expect LVG to bond with him and get the most out him.

Then you've probably not read the articles stating he seemed to turn a corner in that regard around last Christmas? I've seen that mentioned by a couple of people.

I've also seen quite a few mention that he's owned up to not putting in effort :D At least he's not blind to his faults :D

Would have tried to sell Young or even given a free transfer. I'd also have tried to get rid of Mata.

Morgan Schneiderlin looks like a small club player and isn't good enough and not young enough to develop into being good enough.

Martial appears from the very little I've seen on a YouTube video (that's supposed to show his best bits) another Bellion or Bebe. The whole transfer looks like "exhibit A" in a money laundering court case. Hopefully I'm wrong and he turns into a worldy but I doubt it.

Picked out the highlights here, don't think I've ever seen such an awful post, other than anything by Sid or Superman. Just baffling, almost (and by almost I am explicitly suggesting it is the case) as if you know nothing at all on the subject. Amazing :D

An awful post? It's well written and makes sense as in you can understand the message.

If you don't agree with the point of view then why don't you put forward your view on what areas of the squad need improving to get to where you want Man Utd to be?

What's so good about Ashley Young? What's so good about Mata? What does Schneiderlin offer that others don't?

That you don't actually know the answers to these questions is the reason nobody will bother trying to explain it to you, for what it's worth

Ah, my apologies, I did mean to say: Why don't you say why YOU like these players?

In that vein, my complaint about these is that there movement is generally poor for all three of them as the don't move to receive the ball.

That's why the defenders keep getting put under pressure to easily as they don't have someone moving to receive the pass. (Carrick is usually the only one to do so)

Young is so predicable that he's a one trick pony always cutting in on his right foot. His crosses are generally poor and he doesn't score enough goals or create enough good chances.

Mata slows the play down and a quick counter will stop if it gets to him. He regularly picks poor passing choices, some have which have put Darmian under pressure a few times already this season.

Schneiderlin mis-places simple passes, gives away too many fouls, lack of concentration/poor positional play, lack of awareness. Just generally all round average premier league footballer.

An awful post? It's well written and makes sense as in you can understand the message.

If you don't agree with the point of view then why don't you put forward your view on what areas of the squad need improving to get to where you want Man Utd to be?

What's so good about Ashley Young? What's so good about Mata? What does Schneiderlin offer that others don't?

What's so good about Mata you ask?

This:

Juan-Mata.jpg

The greatest is kind of vague.

Striker: Aguero?

Attacking mid - David Silva

Keeper - Curtois

Defender - Terry

Just my 2 cents

anthony martial

Are you two joking or did my post just go over your heads...? :confused:

Would be utterly awesome if this happened, and can sort of see why it would, if de Gea is pissed off enough at Real, but not sure I can see it happening. Even if he did, I wouldn't expect him to sign anything more than an extra year.

de Gea named in CL squad along Romero and Johnstone.

It's you Juan, Juan, Juan, it's you Juan, Juan.

Thought I should try & save the thread seeing as everyone else clearly missed that set up.

Thank you, at least somebody bloody got it!

Goalkeepers

[TABLE=class: sortTable d3-plugin]

[TR]

[TH]No.[/TH]

[TH=class: l]Name[/TH]

[TH]P[/TH]

[TH]G[/TH]

[/TR]

[TR=class: player 1901746]

[TD=class: number]1[/TD]

[TD=class: playername l]David de Gea[/TD]

[TD=class: number]-[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: player 1905918]

[TD=class: number]20[/TD]

[TD=class: playername l]Sergio Romero[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: player 250007234]

[TD=class: number]50[/TD]

[TD=class: playername l]Sam Johnstone[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Defenders

[TR]

[TH]No.[/TH]

[TH]P[/TH]

[TH]G[/TH]

[/TR]

[TR=class: player 250014728]

[TD=class: number]4[/TD]

[TD=class: playername l]Phil Jones[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: player 250026718]

[TD=class: number]5[/TD]

[TD=class: playername l]Marcos Rojo[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: player 250011196]

[TD=class: number]12[/TD]

[TD=class: playername l]Chris Smalling[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: player 250042705]

[TD=class: number]23[/TD]

[TD=class: playername l]Luke Shaw[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: player 250075737]

[TD=class: number]30[/TD]

[TD=class: playername l]Guillermo Varela[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: player 250042799]

[TD=class: number]33[/TD]

[TD=class: playername l]Paddy McNair[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: player 103806]

[TD=class: number]36[/TD]

[TD=class: playername l]Matteo Darmian[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Midfielders

[TR]

[TH]No.[/TH]

[TH]P[/TH]

[TH]G[/TH]

[/TR]

[TR=class: player 50909]

[TD=class: number]16[/TD]

[TD=class: playername l]Michael Carrick[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: player 108908]

[TD=class: number]17[/TD]

[TD=class: playername l]Daley Blind[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: player 106602]

[TD=class: number]18[/TD]

[TD=class: playername l]Ashley Young[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: player 250014680]

[TD=class: number]21[/TD]

[TD=class: playername l]Ander Herrera[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: player 250024793]

[TD=class: number]22[/TD]

[TD=class: playername l]Nick Powell[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: player 101303]

[TD=class: number]25[/TD]

[TD=class: playername l]Antonio Valencia[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: player 104237]

[TD=class: number]27[/TD]

[TD=class: playername l]Marouane Fellaini[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: player 103891]

[TD=class: number]28[/TD]

[TD=class: playername l]Morgan Schneiderlin[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: player 67496]

[TD=class: number]31[/TD]

[TD=class: playername l]Bastian Schweinsteiger[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: player 250043859]

[TD=class: number]35[/TD]

[TD=class: playername l]Jesse Lingard[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: player 250056635]

[TD=class: number]44[/TD]

[TD=class: playername l]Andreas Pereira[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Forwards

[TR]

[TH]No.[/TH]

[TH]P[/TH]

[TH]G[/TH]

[/TR]

[TR=class: player 250024860]

[TD=class: number]7[/TD]

[TD=class: playername l]Memphis Depay[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: player 104584]

[TD=class: number]8[/TD]

[TD=class: playername l]Juan Mata[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: player 250042781]

[TD=class: number]9[/TD]

[TD=class: playername l]Anthony Martial[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: player 63891]

[TD=class: number]10[/TD]

[TD=class: playername l]Wayne Rooney[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: player 250064534]

[TD=class: number]19[/TD]

[TD=class: playername l]James Wilson[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Full list. LVG really not too mellow on Valdes. Room for him I think, considering some of these guys are under 21 so doesn't have to be on the A list.

Powell still alive then, though I think he's currently injured.

de Gea named in CL squad along Romero and Johnstone.

What a strange turn of events! One can only hope that he is, in fact, done with Madrid. And, THAT could be the surprise signing LVG hinted at. (Doubt it, but wtf.)

Love you really. Sign that contract xx

:D

Well, I don't feel bad at all for him if he is angry. This was misplayed...at least somehow. Having said that, if he is now angry at Madrid and we get to keep him, I can live with that. :D

Goalkeepers

Defenders

[TR]

[TH]No.[/TH]

[TH]P[/TH]

[TH]G[/TH]

[/TR]

[TR=class: player 250014728]

[TD=class: number]4[/TD]

[TD=class: playername l]Phil Jones[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: player 250026718]

[TD=class: number]5[/TD]

[TD=class: playername l]Marcos Rojo[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: player 250011196]

[TD=class: number]12[/TD]

[TD=class: playername l]Chris Smalling[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: player 250042705]

[TD=class: number]23[/TD]

[TD=class: playername l]Luke Shaw[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: player 250075737]

[TD=class: number]30[/TD]

[TD=class: playername l]Guillermo Varela[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: player 250042799]

[TD=class: number]33[/TD]

[TD=class: playername l]Paddy McNair[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: player 103806]

[TD=class: number]36[/TD]

[TD=class: playername l]Matteo Darmian[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

That is an absolutely shocking set of defenders for a Champions League club.

So there are heaps and heaps of sponsored competition and award names in the game these days? I would definitely have had to ditch that with a mod if I still bought the games.

Leagues that are officially licensed have their sponsored names. But he's using a file that changes non-licensed stuff to actual names.

Archived