Manchester United Thread 2015/16

Harryseaess

"major changes to the documentation came through to Manchester United which immediately put the deals at risk."

With 20 minutes left in the window Madrid appear to have changed the deal? Surely, Madrid will say that is not true and that what they put thru was their interpretation of the agreement. If not, then it would seem plausible that they blew the deal up at the death for some reason. Or, that they just blew it period. But it doesn't look like United were at fault based on that timetable.

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Which suggests blowing it up b/c that wasn't going to sneak by unnoticed no matter how much time was left. And, how ridiculous is it that they left it to the last day? This has been going on for months. Frankly, zero sympathy. For Madrid. For DDG. NONE.

Razzler's gone a bit quiet.

Multiply that by about 29m, and that's probably how Madrid feel right now.

United fans believe the United statement, Madrid fans believe the Madrid statement ... what a surprise.

That's all squabbling over who was at fault for the paperwork. Doesn't change anything else I was on about regarding doing the deal/holding firm, etc

United fans believe the United statement, Madrid fans believe the Madrid statement ... what a surprise.

That's all squabbling over who was at fault for the paperwork. Doesn't change anything else I was on about regarding doing the deal/holding firm, etc

Madrid fans believe that their club deliberately delayed the deal which they think is the right thing as they would rather he came on a free next year. Check all the news outlets...

Come on Razz, you are slipping. They got cold feet, we have timestamped proof and FA support, you have a theory that we should have run to Madrid and said "Buy him FFS"

If DDG wins us even one point between now and the end of the season it will be worth it......not so if loses us points :D

Most Madrid fans actually don't believe their clubs statement at all actually. Not judging by those interviewed in Madrid by British media, or judging from twitter, where criticism of Peter has been trending.

But you go ahead and keep spouting your nonsense, because you seem to get some kind of fetishism out of laughing at United, so who am I to stop you?

Not worth waiting for.

As has been said, we have proof and FA support that we did everything on our end and sent the paperwork off on time.

In regards to Martial, surely he will go straight in to the first team? Either on the wing with Mata in at 10 or upfront with Rooney as 10 and Mata on the right. Either way, he will hopefully be an improvement to the team. Personally I'd like to see him upfront because Rooney just isn't cut out for that role, no matter how much he thinks he's a striker.

Might as well ask then.

Now the transfer window is closed, how do people rate our dealings this summer?

INS

Memphis Depay

Bastian Schweinsteiger

Matteo Darmian

Morgan Schneiderlin

Sergio Romero

Anthony Martial

OUTS

Jonny Evans

Tom Cleverley

Nani

Robin van Persie

Rafael

Angel Di Maria

Javier Hernandez

Anders Lindegaard

LOANS OUT

Adnan Januzaj

Tyler Blackett

Squad

GK

de Gea

Romero

Johnstone

Valdes

Defenders

Darmian

Smalling

Jones

Rojo

Shaw

McNair

Midfielders

Schweinsteiger

Schneiderlin

Carrick

Blind

Herrera

Fellaini

Mata

Depay

Young

Valencia

Forwards

Rooney

Wilson

Martial

That's how we are going to look until at least January. Has the overall window been a success or failure? Has it been good enough? Can that squad possibly challenge for the title?

Obviously keeping de Gea is a massive plus, albeit through luck rather than judgment, and assuming he gets his head straight and can perform for us as he has previously, then it will be worth its weight in gold. Would have been nice to offload Valdes.

Defence is where a huge gamble seems to have been taken. We've made one signing there in Darmian, who looks to be one of the best buys we've made in a good while. But with selling Evans and Rafael, and loaning out Blackett for the season, we look painfully short of cover. Jones is constantly injured and a liability when he does play. McNair is someone I actually think can become a quality player but is still young and will only play under the most desperate circumstances. As soon as Smalling gets an injury, or even Shaw, we will look in real trouble. We're already playing a non CB alongside Smalling, so the first injury we get is really going to screw us up. Blind is obviously the non CB I allude to, and Valencia will cover at RB as required, but imo it isn't acceptable that your backup RB isn't even a RB.

Midfield, on the other hand, looks good, although still perhaps short of depth in terms of real quality wingers. Schneiderlin should be a good long term replacement for Carrick whilst Schweinsteiger gives us a great boost in experience and a good platform for rotation. We still look short of pace on the whole in the attacking areas.

Up top still looks like it could go wrong. Rooney has been poor for 18 months so to lose the depth of Hernandez and bring in a relative unknown for a huge price in Martial as well as then only having Wilson as further backup could easily go wrong.

Considering this season we are back in the CL, the fact we have at best kept the same level of depth to the squad is a big worry. An injury to Smalling and we're screwed. Still lack that real top quality and pace going forward. However we have brought in a quality RB and considerably strengthened the CM area, as well as some how keeping de Gea. It's one of those where my assessment could easily go up or down a point from one hour to the next. I'll give it a 6/10 as 5 just seems a bit too harsh, but no way could I give it any higher. Let's call it 5.5/10.

I think it's been a very good transfer window. Some people seem to have forgotten that we signed some great players early on. We improved the midfield a lot, added some much needed pace to our attack, added a real RB who looks like he will be a very good signing. Hopefully de Gea plays until at least the end of the season (sneaky contract? Get it sorted Ed), if he performs like he did last season then that'll be a huge bonus.

The only let downs are that we didn't sign a CB or a striker (unless Martial is to play there, which I hope he does. But still, a lot of weight to put on his shoulders if that's the case).

I'd be happy with playing the following team as our strongest:

De Gea

Darmian Smalling Blind Shaw

Schneiderlin Carrick

Mata Rooney Memphis

Martial

If Martial performs and by some miracle we manage to get de Gea to stay (which isn't likely, I know) then in reality all we have to replace next season is Blind at CB and maybe a younger replacement for Carrick, but Schweinsteiger may be good for a few years.

Overall we've made some real improvements to the team, addressed a number of positions that we were lacking in and therefore I think it's been a pretty good window. I give it a 7.5/10.

Much more balanced squad than previously. We were heavy on senior strikers and light in midfield, and also light on dynamic impact players. Looks like that has been taken care of. Maybe it would have been nicer to have brought in another defender, and maybe sell Valencia as well but that's difficult to do in one window. In any case, you can see the squad shaping up as a group of players that largely bring different qualities to the table thereby offering various tactical opportunities. Though LVG's man management skills are and always have been a concern. Would love to see Klopp coming in at some point.

The De Gea situation wasn't fully resolved but I was always of the opinion that it was better to keep him than let Real Madrid keep bullying us. I've lost a lot of respect for them after this transfer window. Especially after the Valdes falling out and other clubs seeing an opportunity to overcharge us. Although, we'll have to deal with them in January again.

7/10. We filled so many needs and got rid of so much surplus. If Rojo is actually going to play, we may be ok at CB. Only major issue is not signing a proven Strker and possibly putting an immense amount of pressure on an unproven 19 yr kid.

DDG mess aside, it was a good window.

It's been a poor transfer window :(

I'd have kept:

Jonny Evans

Nani

Rafael

Angel Di Maria (would have sold if he put in a transfer request, don't recall if he did)

Javier Hernandez

Would have tried to sell Young or even given a free transfer. I'd also have tried to get rid of Mata and Valencia.

Incomings wise, Bastian Schweinsteiger and Matteo Darmian look to be good additions. Yet to be convinced Memphis has the qualities needed to succeed but willing to wait and see.

Morgan Schneiderlin looks like a small club player and isn't good enough and not young enough to develop into being good enough.

Another foreign GK signed in Romero who'd need time to adapt no matter how good he is or isn't, a reasonable backup but may as well have youth player in that position.

Martial appears from the very little I've seen on a YouTube video (that's supposed to show his best bits) another Bellion or Bebe. The whole transfer looks like "exhibit A" in a money laundering court case. Hopefully I'm wrong and he turns into a worldy but I doubt it.

The current squad is so far short of where we want Utd to be it's unreal. We need a quick creative wide player for the right hand side.

A center midfielder that has a good range of passing skills has good positional awareness and movement, reasonably quick and early to mid 20's and wants to get on the ball, currently we've got two ageing midfielders doing that and nothing coming through from what I've seen.

We could do with another forward and central defender of sufficient quality.

Aaaand if David De Gea is leaving then a decent keeper the defence can rely on.

I'm all for bringing through or signing young players and developing them but they need good players around them to learn from and aspire to be as good as.

It's been a poor transfer window :(

I'd have kept:

Jonny Evans

Nani

Rafael

Angel Di Maria (would have sold if he put in a transfer request, don't recall if he did)

Javier Hernandez

Would have tried to sell Young or even given a free transfer. I'd also have tried to get rid of Mata and Valencia.

Incomings wise, Bastian Schweinsteiger and Matteo Darmian look to be good additions. Yet to be convinced Memphis has the qualities needed to succeed but willing to wait and see.

Morgan Schneiderlin looks like a small club player and isn't good enough and not young enough to develop into being good enough.

Another foreign GK signed in Romero who'd need time to adapt no matter how good he is or isn't, a reasonable backup but may as well have youth player in that position.

Martial appears from the very little I've seen on a YouTube video (that's supposed to show his best bits) another Bellion or Bebe. The whole transfer looks like "exhibit A" in a money laundering court case. Hopefully I'm wrong and he turns into a worldy but I doubt it.

The current squad is so far short of where we want Utd to be it's unreal. We need a quick creative wide player for the right hand side.

A center midfielder that has a good range of passing skills has good positional awareness and movement, reasonably quick and early to mid 20's and wants to get on the ball, currently we've got two ageing midfielders doing that and nothing coming through from what I've seen.

We could do with another forward and central defender of sufficient quality.

Aaaand if David De Gea is leaving then a decent keeper the defence can rely on.

I'm all for bringing through or signing young players and developing them but they need good players around them to learn from and aspire to be as good as.

arguably the worst post this season?

Archived