Manchester United Thread 2015/16

Harryseaess

Looking in from the "outside", Woodward must have a load of confidence in LvG if he persuaded him to reconsider the alleged offer of resignation. Either that or he's burying his head in the sand to save face. Considering you are churning out these incredible stats at the moment, and are 5 points (and 15 goals adrift of Spurs), the suggestion that Woodward asked him to reconsider as there is nobody available who fits the profile / style of play to push you up the table, seems odd given the horrible football you play these days.

There's obviously a lot of media noise around the whole situation which makes the reality hard to judge. The rumours of the silly Mourinho "love letter", the lack of confirmation of Guardiola's next job, pressure from Adidas, David Gill carefully not committing to anything. LvG really does look the broken man that others have said and I think it's a matter of if, rather than when. Just checked your fixtures for the rest of the season too........

• Replies 11.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My suspicions have been confirmed. United board are actually deliberately ruining the club. **** knows why

dont think they are Utd in business terms is a classic cash cow

''Cash cow is business jargon for a business venture that generates a steady return of profits that far exceed the outlay of cash required to acquire or start it.''

they should never have been allowed to buy us the way they did, they cant lose really dont think they really care about the club as long as the money keeps coming in.

for us fans it is a total mess but the board may perceive it differently, things are not going to plan on the field but business is going well = happy days

and in terms of revenue brought to club woodward has been fantastic ...I would say he is in wrong job, but is untouchable due to what he has brought in $$$$$$$

So is Perez (sp?) of Madrid, but at least he excite the fans with his galaticos signings and ridiculous achievement standards. Man Utd can't do a Madrid anyway. Madrid build their football on business foundation. Their wealth gives them their footballing prowess. Man Utd, on the other hand, imho, builds their business on a football foundation. Man Utd, without success, isn't very much compared to a club like Madrid. If Woodward cares about business, he needs to care about football because successful football is the only reason Man Utd is a successful business.

Madrid is a different story since Perez does his galactico signings down to his own perspective of how Real dominated the transfers scene during his own time as a fan (Puskas, Di Stefano, et al). If anything, his policy (together with changes in the club's charter that prevents anyone except Perez from running for the club presidency) seems to work to get him re-elected multiple times despite failing miserably when his galactico policy goes tits up. In addition, there is no collective bargaining for the TV revenue in La Liga and the rest of the La Liga club chairmen keep sabotaging their own and letting Barca and Real take the lion's share of the TV revenue. This, in addition to the Madrid city government (and sometimes national government) giving preferential treatment to it, gives Real alot of advantages.

And despite what people think, Perez is actually quite good at monetizing merchandising for Real.

IMHO, in business, it is also taken as a good leadership if one is able to act quickly to reverse mistakes and cut losses. An example would be Tim Cook terminating the services of John Browett when it became apparent that the latter was a poor fit for a luxury brand. I sincerely hope Woodward doesn't think / care about embarrassment when it is clear it isn't working.

If it's true Woodward talked LVG out of resigning (or rejected the resignation), could it be because Woodward is in a sticky situation?

For example, he's probably been pressured from everywhere such as SAF etc that Jose will not be the manager so rules that out. With Ancelotti tied up there's no stand out managers to come in straight away. With Giggs he probably feels it's a disaster waiting to happen if he came in now. Board may want him to come in when things are more settled so he can have an 'easier' start to management and not be ruined early doors. With all this it's by default LVG stays till at least the summer :/

Certainly got to be more to it then Woodward being stubborn to save face.

Loss to Derby surely does him in. But does it also get Woodward sacked? Hard to believe United aren't thinking about both of them being let go, or at least returning Woodward to the commercial side.

About 1% chance of that happening.

He is very close the the Glazers by all accounts and is in regular contact with them regarding club matters. Don't forget he also helped them with the takeover of the club in 2005.

Add in his commercial success and he isn't going anywhere. It is becoming more and more apparent though that he isn't exactly suited to the footballing side of things and should imo go back to solely working on commercial matters.

Yeah, it's because you were Liverpool manager. Nothing to do with the fact you are nowhere near good enough to ever manage the club :D

If Rodgers won the league, would you take a Liverpool manager?

Seems now the club is going to review the manager even more on a "match by match" basis than before. What they need to see before pulling the gun is beyond me. The only thing I can possibly think of is that they think they have some small chance of getting Guardiola.

This is only going to get worse. The fans know he wont be here any longer than the summer as will the players - it's just going to become even more of a poisonous atmosphere. We'll end up like a soggy sponge limply getting by to 6th / 7th, failing to get Champions League, which will only set us back further in terms of recruitment (players and manager).

I'm going out in a limb here and saying he'll be in charge on Friday. I know after all that's gone on that seems almost impossible but i have a feeling...

looks like he will be there until at least the summer, might even be the end of his contract at this rate

If it's true Woodward talked LVG out of resigning (or rejected the resignation), could it be because Woodward is in a sticky situation?

For example, he's probably been pressured from everywhere such as SAF etc that Jose will not be the manager so rules that out. With Ancelotti tied up there's no stand out managers to come in straight away. With Giggs he probably feels it's a disaster waiting to happen if he came in now. Board may want him to come in when things are more settled so he can have an 'easier' start to management and not be ruined early doors. With all this it's by default LVG stays till at least the summer :/

Certainly got to be more to it then Woodward being stubborn to save face.

Do wonder whether Woowar is now waiting to appoint Giggs in a window that's late enough in the season that any failure can be attributed to van Gaal, but early enough to still turn it around and be credited for it. Shafted if he goes for Jose now since if he fails it's the third on his watch, and if he does well the question will be asked why he wasn't appointed earlier.

Normally there's at least 1 person that goes against the grain and says give the poor bloke more time. No one?

Crazy T? Though he seldom posts when LvG isn't doing so well.

Increasingly coming round to the idea of getting Mourinho in. Every days there's a new report or article coming out explaining the dire straits are academy/infrastructure is - Mourinho looks like the best chance of any success at all/steadying of the ship whilst we get all the behind the scenes stuff sorted.

The whole structure of the club seems to be in a complete mess, from the academy to the first team, manager, Woodward, boardroom etc etc.

Don't see it improving much if at all in the near future either.

Woodward needs to go back to working on commercial deals, LvG needs to go (should have been sacked after the Norwich defeat) McClair left early last year and still hasn't been replaced and the academy is suffering big time because of it.

Below is the u18s performance so far this season:

P:18 W:3 D:2 L:13 F:23 A:42 GD: -19 PTS: 11

30 points behind Man City, who have got their stuff together at youth level and are taking over from us in that area.

Our academy is in dire straits at this point and it's unacceptable for a club of our size to be so badly run at youth level/s. Why hasn't McClair been replaced? Why has the academy been allowed to deteriorate to such a degree?

Our academy is in dire straits at this point and it's unacceptable for a club of our size to be so badly run at youth level/s. Why hasn't McClair been replaced? Why has the academy been allowed to deteriorate to such a degree?

Important questions that need to be asked. The situation should not have deteriorated to such an extend.

But as a little defence of the long row of defeats for the U18 team this season, everything isn't entirely bleak. Their poor results is partly because some of the most talented players have been moved up early to the U21 team, and the U21 team are playing really, really well, and may well win the league again (just beat the leaders Sunderland). For years there have been positional gaps in the U18 team, though, and that doesn't appear to get fixed. For years we've had very few strikers available, often playing with a midfielder up top, and there are other gaps in the wide positions, both at fullback and midfield. Naturally results suffer when we're playing with midfielders as fullbacks and things like that.

It's a worrying development, and there doesn't appear to be real leadership of the Academy. McClair hasn't been replaced, and they're just kind of floating about without any direction. Currently we are still getting through some very talented players, but if this situation persists for many years, it's going to have consequences for recruitment, and ultimately for potential first team graduates.

So LVG thinks he's getting sacked if we lose tomorrow. Not sure I can bring myself to will us to lose mind but it's a win win if so.

same here could never want Utd to lose a game, but that is a good way to look at it ....a win win either way

but even if we do lose don't see him going, it should have happened a month ago cant see it happening now

Depends whether you really think we have a chance of winning the FA Cup. We scrape past Derby like we did Sheff United and we get Chelsea or Arsenal in the next round and we're out anyway. Just want rid of him now even if we put players names in a tombola to decide who picks the team for every match for the rest of the season in lieu of replacing him. He's just doing that terribly.

we all agree he should be long gone... but we are not running the club and the egos/hidden agendas involved

the sad thing is if he had been sacked a month ago with the right appointment who could have brought in a couple in this window we still had a shout at winning it due to the others slipping up

we have no chance now and top 4 realistically has gone too

if we picked a combined spurs/utd XI honestly how many of our players get in ....2 possibly 3 max de gea/smalling/martial?? and they are 5 points ahead:brock:

Watford in 10th are nearer to us than we are to top 4 :rolleyes: in the words of LVG..... ''its awful and horrible'';)

the powers that be have written this season off again

Let us assume for a second that out board are not idiots and they certainly are not. They must see and hear stuff from the squad and manager that gives them hope.

Also remember Moyes was given up to when it was no longer possible to get CL either via the league or the CL itself. LVG I guess deserves the same as a minimum plus his CV means he deserves more.....or at least that was the consensus when he was signed.

No one wanted Giggs a month ago and the dire scenario should not change that and I am as guilty as others to changing tune just because I want change.....when the emotion calms and you assess, LVG staying is better than Giggs

What makes us think Giggs is certain to do that? We are living in land of what-ifs.

If we are saying nothing to lose, just go with Giggs then I get it but to assume it will improve things is foolhardy and so we might as well hit the point of no return first (Losing to Derby might be that)

Vidic has announced his retirement with immediate effect. A great defender for us for many a year and I think will always be remembered as one of our better CB's. Did get a bit slow towards the end for us and he sure did like a red card against Liverpool/Torres but what a player.

Vidic was an absolute warrior for us and my favourite United CB. Fantastic in his prime. 300 games for us and 15 trophies, averaged a trophy every 20 games. Incredible. :thup:

His partnership with Rio was right up there if not the best ever at the club, complimented each other so well and the backbone of our success.

I'm sure Redshift isn't saying LVG was not trying to win, I believe he means that he doesn't go on the attack to get the win but tries to get it through possession play and what have you where as Giggs would try and win in the way we used to, attacking and making the opponents stand up to 90 minutes of pressure.

I'm sure Redshift isn't saying LVG was not trying to win, I believe he means that he doesn't go on the attack to get the win but tries to get it through possession play and what have you where as Giggs would try and win in the way we used to, attacking and making the opponents stand up to 90 minutes of pressure.

It's easier to throw insults around. You fool, you!

Archived